Male LVN?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Jane in Issaquah, Washington

72 months ago

Hello everyone. I have been an LVN for almost 1 year. My husband is considering going to school and becoming a male LVN.

Should I encourage him? Has anyone else worked with a male LVN before? Would he have any disadvantages being a male?

Thanks for any advice/comments you could provide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Auburn, Washington

72 months ago

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I am "indeed" glad to see I can get feedback on this message board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

3rdparty in Denton, Texas

72 months ago

I'm sorry, I meant www.summitcareercollege.edu.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

3rdparty in Denton, Texas

72 months ago

That didn't work either; how about www.summitcollege.edu

Jane in Auburn, Washington

72 months ago

Thank you 3rdparty! I appreciate this link.

C'est Moi in Oakley, California

72 months ago

Bradshaw Provider also teach IV certifications. bradshawproviders@gmail.com. My wife used them and they were good. 1 day class + 3 or 4 days of self study.

Art in Texas in Copperas Cove, Texas

71 months ago

Jane in Issaquah, Washington said: Hello everyone. I have been an LVN for almost 1 year. My husband is considering going to school and becoming a male LVN.

Should I encourage him? Has anyone else worked with a male LVN before? Would he have any disadvantages being a male?

I have been a LPN/LVN for 30 years. Male nurses RN or LPN/LVN are in more demand then women nurses. Sorry ladies, but you know it is true. I retired from the military in 2003. In 2004 through 2008 I have been making $80,000.00/year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ann in San Bruno, California

62 months ago

Art in Texas in Copperas Cove, Texas said: I have been a LPN/LVN for 30 years. Male nurses RN or LPN/LVN are in more demand then women nurses. Sorry ladies, but you know it is true. I retired from the military in 2003. In 2004 through 2008 I have been making $80,000.00/year.

No this is not true.
Female nurses always will be given higher priority than men.
This is the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

62 months ago

debbie in Asheville, North Carolina said: WOMEN ARE JEALOUS OF MALE NURSES BECAUSE THEY GET PAID BETTER AND MOVE UP FASTER IN MGT THAN WOMEN. PLUS WOMEN ARE ALWAYS BACKSTABBING EACH OTHER AND FRANKLY ARE JUST PLAIN BITCHES. I SHOULD KNOW, A AM A FEMALE NURSE AND AM SICK OF THE DRAMA FROM FELLOW WOMEN NURSES!!!! I DONT ENCOURAGE MEN TO BECOME NURSES. MY HUSBAND IS A SUPERVISOR AND ALOT OF FEMALE NURSES DONT WANT TO LISTEN TO HIM!!! AND SOCIETY SAYS THAT WOMEN ARE "LIBERATED"!!!!!! SORRY BUT THAT IS THE HONEST TRUTH!!!!!!!! AND NO, MY HUSBAND IS NOT "MACHO" OR "CONTROLLING" JUST TRYING TO IMPLEMENT THE POLICIES OF THE COMPANY!!!!

First of all, Debbie, needs to learn how to type. All caps = yelling

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

62 months ago

Jane in Auburn, Washington said: Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I am "indeed" glad to see I can get feedback on this message board.

If your husband,wants to get into nursing, encourage him to get his RN, dont waste your time getting an LVN/LPN.Most hospitals now only want RN's, they cant work ER, ICU or any critical area. And yes, nursing is a female dominated field, as long as nursing has been around for 100yrs + , its all been females from the beginning, just fact.I have been in healthcare for 19yrs,and now an RT, and see it all the time. It has been only in recent yrs that male are breaking into the field, but still not taken serious,as there female counter parts. Also for fact, the new law passed for equal pay for female to equal men. So if he wants to get into nursing, encourage him to see as much as he can. Nursing is not all glory, its wiping butts, cleaning up vomit,and more. If he not set on it, Ultra sound is a good field, but requires an Associates first, but it worth it.

aware in Buffalo, New York

59 months ago

Yes, you are all correct! Females in nursing,like many career fields, are bit....!!! They are manipulative and deceptive and are to be distrusted at all times...I infer this from years of experience....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hipstr in Minneapolis, Minnesota

58 months ago

Jane in Issaquah, Washington said: Hello everyone. I have been an LVN for almost 1 year. My husband is considering going to school and becoming a male LVN.

Contrary to the perceptions of some, paid nursing has been an exclusively male dominated field for most of human history, starting with the world's first nursing school which opened in India in 250 B.C., and because of religiously driven misogyny at that time in history, only men were considered "pure" enough to be nurses. On the other hand, throughout history, unpaid nursing has been exclusively the province of women from cradle to grave.From "nursing" their babies, children and partners, to midwifing future generations, and then taking care of their parents in old age, women perform 99 percent of the nursing done, which has mostly been unpaid.[citation needed]

Nursing was mainly done by males during the Byzantine Empire.[citation needed] In ancient Rome the term "nosocomial" meaning "hospital acquired" stems from the nosocomi, the men who provided nursing care in ancient Rome and thereby spread diseases to their patients.

In the Parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus mentions a male inn keeper being paid to nurse an injured man.[3]

During plagues that swept through Europe, nurses that were male were primary caregivers, and in 300 B.C men in the Parabolani created a hospital and provided nursing care.[2] (It has been asserted, without proof, that the brotherhood was first organized during the great plague in Alexandrian episcopate of Dionysius the Great (second half of third century). They received their name from the fact that they risked their lives (paraballesthai ten zoen) in exposing themselves to contagious diseases. In addition, they constituted a bodyguard for the bishop. Their number was never large. The Code

rreynolds2702 in richland hills, Texas

46 months ago

im a female nurse in search of a male nurse for the facility i work for in richland hills, tx....( hours are friday, saturday, sunday, monday 8am to 6pm with one weekend off per month...meaning you would work monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday 8am to 6pm. you will work with the nurse director every monday...please call email me at rreynolds@brookdaleliving.com if you are interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

buddah61 in Moreno Valley, California

45 months ago

i do think this is a good idea just dont look for a job in the delivery room

mynursecharlie in Buffalo, New York

39 months ago

I would be aware that in every job you just have to fit. Some jobs men just do not fit. Men or women have to get in where they fit in. It does not matter what the gender is. There are so many jobs in nursing but you have to get hired. Yes men are in the delivery room as well but what kind of man. Not a guy who looks a little scruffy or unkept all the time.Nursing is about fitting in at times.First is appearance Then comes experience.

somewhereclose

39 months ago

I have worked with several male nurses. They are great to work with. From med/surg,infectious disease,surgical. I have meet some that went from surgical to nursing at a county jail to psch intake nurse.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.