depession/bi polar- can you be an LVN?? also pain medication???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

dollface in san leandro, California

54 months ago

hello everyone..does anyone know can you be an LVN if you have been diagnosed with depression or bi polar...also can you be an LVN if you take medication for depression,to sleep ,or for pain...i will appreciate any input..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Icu in Wilmington, Delaware

54 months ago

dollface in san leandro, California said: hello everyone..does anyone know can you be an LVN if you have been diagnosed with depression or bi polar...also can you be an LVN if you take medication for depression,to sleep ,or for pain...i will appreciate any input..

I can't see why not...as long as your taking your medication aand taking cafe of your self. Your medical condition is private as long as you keep it that way. Besides if you able to operate a motor vehicle I can't see why you can't become an LVN or LPN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

54 months ago

In Texas you are not supposed to work under the influence of any substances. So legally you are not allowed to take narcotic pain meds while working as a nurse. On the Texas application for licensure, they do ask as one of the questions if you have ever been diagnosed or treated for certain psychiatric conditions including bi-polar disorder. You then have to send a letter of explanation to the board. I am sure there are a number of nurses practicing who have your conditions, but you just may have to jump through an extra hoop to get you license. You should check out you state board of nursing website and ask them for specifics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.