How much should we pay for an LVN program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 185)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jen in Long Beach, California

52 months ago

lvndude in Santa Rosa, California said: i applied to the local JC but decided i didn't want to wait and went to a private school(12 months long). at the end of school i recieved a letter from the JC saying i was accepted to start their program. the start date was 4 months AFTER my graduation from the private school. at the JC it was an 18 month program. considering i was working 17 months full time by the time i would have graduated the JC program it was much cheaper to pay 26,000 for the private program. the first 12 months working i made 57,000 income. by the time the JC program graduated i was all ready working for 17 months. dont look at the immediate cost of school. you have to average it out a couple yeard to know if you are paying to much. pay more up front and save alot over time.

lvn dude, what type of place did you get your first job at. A friend told me they aren't really hiring lvn's anymore. I'm not sure whether I should do lvn because I'm afraid I can't find a job after. Any advice you have for me??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marlana in Citrus Heights, California

52 months ago

lvndude in Santa Rosa, California said: i spent 26,000 and the first year working I made 57,00 income.(i graduated october 2008, started working in feb 2009) the cost was a little less than 6 months of my pay. i pay 130 month payments on my student loan. i only had to finance 13,000. this fall i start back to school working on rn. if you are full time student your payments are stopped while you are in school. i say go for it!!

thanks for the encourgement!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lvndude in Santa Rosa, California

52 months ago

Jen in Long Beach, California said: lvn dude, what type of place did you get your first job at. A friend told me they aren't really hiring lvn's anymore. I'm not sure whether I should do lvn because I'm afraid I can't find a job after. Any advice you have for me??

Jen, you probably wont be able to work in a hospital as an LVN the way things are changing but most LVNs work in long term care/snf facilities. the schools are cranking out huge numbers of students each year which means it is getting more difficult. I personaly dont know of any new grads that don't eventually get a job though . My classmates (in the Inland Empire)) all got hired within three months. Some weren't looking very hard. I went to NorCal and got hired at the first place I tried.(one mile from my house!!) My situation isn't typical but what is typical is that you will eventually get hired. I work at a LTC/SNF. We get wound vacs, post trauma patients(car wrecks, falls. work accidents...) One floor is post elective surgery patients.(knees,hips,...)Hospice patients that cant stay at home and some patients that have dementia(we baby sit them basicaly). some diabetics come to be stabilized and get back on track after neglecting their insulin. All kinds of stuff. Love it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jared in San Diego, California

50 months ago

hi, Im thinking to join the LvN program here in San Diego, I already searching for good and credited school/ colleges. Community College has a long waiting list. The fastest wAy is to go to private college which is very expensive. I already a degree holder: AB hotel with catering and tourism mngt under British uni . which is the better way for me to take an lvn? do u know any cheAper lvn course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

angle in Dallas, Texas

50 months ago

what think is that you all should check community college all around you they have great hours. and don't cost so much. from what i think why not be a pharmacy tech they earn the same amount as an LVN and you can study on your own the exam cost $ 130 it all depends on where you live.just type in www.ptcb.com or org and it should pop up well. good luck i would rather be in a bsn progam because those nurses get paid more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Caro in Killeen, Texas

50 months ago

Mika in Temple, Texas said: Hi I went to Central Texas College in Killeen tx I graduated in 2003. The program was not real hard but it was very time comsuming and lots of studying.

Hi, i wanted to ask you because iam applying for LVN program in CTC college, How hard is to be accepted into the program, because in my case, i already pass the hesi, they have my transcripts, and i passed the ACT test also, but it seems that they keep on giving excuses to be albe to have an interview and to be able to be in the meeting. What method do they use to choose the students for lVN program? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Hunt in Rancho Cucamonga, California

49 months ago

MOM2 in San Bernardino, California said: Yes, I checked it out, it cost's $29,000. for the LVN program. The same as the other 2 schools in San Bernardino , too.

Did you check out the financial support they offered? Do you know what the specifics are in qualifying for grants?

Thanks!

Kelly in Sacramento, California

49 months ago

I'm looking into LVN programs. I'm leaning more towards trade schools. I know they cost more but since I can make about 20,000 more a year then being a CNA it's worth not waiting 2 or 3 yrs on a waiting list at a JC.
Has anyone experienced it being harder to find a job if you went to a trade school or any other bad experiences? and Also any tips on which school I school go to? I want to make sure my LVN is transferable if I ever decide to go for RN.
Oh and anybody know of any part time courses?

Sacramento Area

49 months ago

Kelly in Sacramento, California said: I'm looking into LVN programs. I'm leaning more towards trade schools. I know they cost more but since I can make about 20,000 more a year then being a CNA it's worth not waiting 2 or 3 yrs on a waiting list at a JC.
Has anyone experienced it being harder to find a job if you went to a trade school or any other bad experiences? and Also any tips on which school I school go to? I want to make sure my LVN is transferable if I ever decide to go for RN.
Oh and anybody know of any part time courses?

Sacramento Area

It doesn't matter where you go for LVN school. If you go to an 18 month program at a local college or a 12 month program at a trade school(like i did) you will get one year toward RN when you start the LVN to RN bridge program at any California college. I checked into 4 year universities as well as 2 year junior colleges and it is the same. I am taking gen ed classes at a Junior college to get into a BSN program. By the way, I almost went to an LVN program at a Sac trade school but decided to go for one in Socal instead. What school are you looking at?

I have never heard of anyone not being hired because they went to a Trade school verses a College. I know many LVNs that chose that route. They just care if you passed the NCLEX.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lety Neri in SAN DIEGO, California

49 months ago

I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET STARTED AS A LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE? I HAVE NOT BEEN TO COLLEGE AT ALL SINCE I'VE BEEN A STAY HOME MOTHER. WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO GET SARTED AS A LVN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Thanks.
I was looking at a few different schools. How long was the LVN course you took? Was it a lot of homework too? I'm just trying to figure out if I can work and go to school full time at the same time. I heard once it was like 8 8hrs of home work a night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

My course was 12 months and that included all the pre-reqs. It was very intense. Of about 30 people that started only 12 of us graduated. A good program is Not easy for sure. The up side is we all passed the NCLEX first try. I am a good student and I couldn't have worked and done well. There were three grads that worked part time and made it through. they worked fri nite/sat through sunday nite alot of hours easch day. Some schools have part time/nite classes but that adds many months to your program. IF it works for you that would be a way to go. We had several students transfer over to full time after months of part time. I don't know if all programs are as challenging as the one I was in. My school also made major changes to the format they use for teaching after I graduated. I am guessing fewer people are failing out. One thing though; LVN school is for real and you have to apply yourself to pass. That is why you get one year credit toward RN/BSN. It is not somthing the average person passes just by showing up to class. IF you can go to school without working do that. If you are able to study without working you will get a much better education compared to someone that works even though you both may pass the program and the NCLEX. It will make you the better nurse(usually).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hilda in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

I think it will be better for you to go to any community college or trade school, because you will have to take some prerequisite classes before you get in the actual lvn program. That gives you a chance to get a picture and feel of what you will be getting into. So just check around your area for community schools that offer the LVN program.

49 months ago

thanks for the advice. Yeah I was thinking of working part time. Even if I passed but still missed a lot because I was worn out would be bad, I want to be a good nurse.

biggirl007 in Fullerton, California

49 months ago

HI THERE, DID ANYBODY KNOW HOW LONG THE BOARD OF VN RESPOND TO THE APPLICATION FOR VN ?? I PASSED MY APPLICATION ALMOST TWO WEEKS AGO AND HEARD NOTHING YET.ALSO I AM LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO TAKE A REVIEW FOR LVN NCLEX AND HOW MUCH IT COST,ANY PLACE YOU CAN RECOMMEND.I LIVE IN SOUTH ORANGE COUNTY CA. WILL APPRECIATE ANY ANSWER.THANKS AND GOD BLESS.

eltamo2 in Vallejo, California

48 months ago

eramirez in Vallejo, California said: I will be done this December and because i work part time and I have kids everything is cover from financial aid plus I just got a check for 3k books+supplies for the entire program was about 800 including the uniforms is at Napa Valley College .

Hi I'm looking into getting into the lvn program at napa valley college can you tell me how you like the program and did they teach you a lot, Because some one told me that this was a bad program and they don't really teach very well there.

eramirez in Vallejo, California

48 months ago

Is good actually we are about to finish the rotation in OB in the leader nurse was surprise how much we new about taking care of the babies/moms. She said not even the RN students new that much. If you really like nursing the program is for you. They are some students that just stand by just trying to finish the program with out doing anything.Is up to you how much you learn and your reading. I believe this moth is the last one to apply for the 2011 program any more question just ask me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Thank you for the info i feel much better now,I did apply for the program and awaiting a acceptance letter in October. For your clinical was any of the students able to go to the john Muir hospital i know that they do for the RN program i just wanted to know do they go there for the lvn program. thank you for all you help and good luck in your last month in the program.

48 months ago

eramirez in Vallejo, California said: Is good actually we are about to finish the rotation in OB in the leader nurse was surprise how much we new about taking care of the babies/moms. She said not even the RN students new that much. If you really like nursing the program is for you. They are some students that just stand by just trying to finish the program with out doing anything.Is up to you how much you learn and your reading. I believe this moth is the last one to apply for the 2011 program any more question just ask me.

Thank you for the info i feel much better now,I did apply for the program and awaiting a acceptance letter in October. For your clinical was any of the students able to go to the john Muir hospital i know that they do for the RN program i just wanted to know do they go there for the lvn program. thank you for all you help and good luck in your last month in the program.

jackson in West Sacramento, California

48 months ago

I decided to spend the extra money and attend Kaplan College because I have been on the wait list at my local community college for 2 years. That is the wait list for the lottery system! My first choice would have been community college but I can't afford to wait any longer. My cousin was the director of nurses at a local hospital for a number of years and she says that it doesn't matter where you attended school. They look at grades and performance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Vallejo, California

48 months ago

@lvndude which school did you attend to? like you i can't afford to be on a wait list. not only that but there is no guarantee when you will get in so although private school are quite expensive i rather bite the bullet. i wish community college are easier to get in to. thank you all for all the information! thanks in advance lvndude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Chris in Vallejo, California said: @lvndude which school did you attend to? like you i can't afford to be on a wait list. not only that but there is no guarantee when you will get in so although private school are quite expensive i rather bite the bullet. i wish community college are easier to get in to. thank you all for all the information! thanks in advance lvndude!

Concorde in San Bernadino. I moved down just to attend that school and then left after graduating. It was 8 hours a day of lecture or clinicals whch meant ALOT of studying at night and weekends. The director of nursing at my facility rarely asks anyone where they went to school and never about grades. If you passed the NCLEX that is what they are looking for. Passing that test makes all LVNs equal starting out and gives everyone an equal chance to prove themselves.

48 months ago

Thanks lvndude! I have a 2yr old and another one on the way :) so I can't relocate for now. Is anyone familiar with www.gurnick.edu/ @ concord? it the closest one to me. I can't find a passing rate on this school though.

I found this one but it says *pending BVNPT approval and no passing rate as well so don't know...

www.americancollegeofnursing.com/index.php

There are actually some schools listed on the bvnpt website that are no longer in business here in vallejo. I managed to check some old reviews of the schools that went out of business so it is kind of scary to think that you may be going to that kind of school. Thanks!

48 months ago

don't forget that when a school has a certain NCLEX passing rate that doesn't mean that percentage of their students passed. It means that percentage of the students that didn't fail out of school passed the NCLEX. In my class about 30 started, 12 of us graduated and over 90 percent of us 12 passed the NCLEX.(i think one failed the first test) The percentage of the students that start the class and then go on to pass school and the NCLEX can be quit low.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I see. Thanks for the info. lvndude! Much appreciated!

48 months ago

lvndude in Santa Rosa, California said: i spent 26,000 and the first year working I made 57,00 income.(i graduated october 2008, started working in feb 2009) the cost was a little less than 6 months of my pay. i pay 130 month payments on my student loan. i only had to finance 13,000. this fall i start back to school working on rn. if you are full time student your payments are stopped while you are in school. i say go for it!!

Where do you work thats a excellent income is nursing home or ?

48 months ago

eltamo2 in Vallejo, California said: Thank you for the info i feel much better now,I did apply for the program and awaiting a acceptance letter in October. For your clinical was any of the students able to go to the john Muir hospital i know that they do for the RN program i just wanted to know do they go there for the lvn program. thank you for all you help and good luck in your last month in the program.

No, we go Napa nursing, Veterans home, in summer Queen of the valley our teacher said that because hospitals are not using LVN she has hard time finding hospitals willing to have us there. Good luck and keep me posted if you need any information. I'll be around the college taking other classes after I finish the program.

48 months ago

eramirez in Vallejo, California said: Where do you work thats a excellent income is nursing home or ?

erameraz, that is not the same pay as in Vallejo? There are facilities here that pay more with one years experience.

48 months ago

I may move there then sounds better pay than here Thanks

NickolasF in San Mateo, California

48 months ago

www.bvnpt.ca.gov/education/vn_stats.shtml - this sites will show the statistics. Gurnick's passing rates for last year were from 69% to 100% depending on location...

48 months ago

NickolasF in San Mateo, California said: www.bvnpt.ca.gov/education/vn_stats.shtml - this sites will show the statistics. Gurnick's passing rates for last year were from 69% to 100% depending on location...

Thanks much for the link Nikolas!

48 months ago

eramirez in Vallejo, California said: No, we go Napa nursing, Veterans home, in summer Queen of the valley our teacher said that because hospitals are not using LVN she has hard time finding hospitals willing to have us there. Good luck and keep me posted if you need any information. I'll be around the college taking other classes after I finish the program.

I will thank you.

Tina in West Sacramento, California

48 months ago

cd_egor in Wichita Falls, Texas said: I'm currently finishing up the LVN program at Vernon College in Wichita Falls, TX. The total cost I paid was just over $9,000 dollars, that is including books and 3 days of clinicals. When I saw your post asking about the cost, I thought that it only fair to share with you that there are other programs available for a cheaper price.

Hi, I live in Ca. Pls do they've Online training for the Lvn, cos the fee is reasonable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

cd_egor are you sure it was only two days of clinicals? Our school gave us 800 hours of clinicals which is required by the state of California. (might be 100 hours over the requirement)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

martha in Seaside, California

47 months ago

Depet in Anaheim, California said: How long do the classes last at SBBC? Is the class schedule flex

i would like more info on sbbc for lvn in santa maria please help need to start soon in is it am or pm hours

47 months ago

Hi sorry for asking but im waiting on a acceptance letter from napa and i just cant wait they said early October we will get them. Do you remember when you got Ur letter?

47 months ago

eramirez in Vallejo, California said: I may move there then sounds better pay than here Thanks

Hi sorry for asking but im waiting on a acceptance letter from napa and i just cant wait they said early October we will get them. Do you remember when you got Ur letter?

jen in Ontario, California

46 months ago

Austin R in Santa Ana, California said: I graduated from North Orange County ROP December 2008. It's very hard work, waking up super early in the morning during clinical days, and having multiple projects at once, but it was well worth it. They did a very good job preparing us for the NCLEX. So far, everyone in our class has passed. It's a very good program. Most hospitals around that area actually prefer LVNs who graduated from North Orange County ROP because this school has very high standards.

how do i find the lvn program through them

Murse in Santa Rosa, California

46 months ago

Wow! Sorry about that post. I re-read it five minutes after posting it and realized how negative it was. If you graduate LVN school you for sure have the potential to do well on the NCLEX and if you pass the NCLEX you for sure have what it takes to not only get a job but to be a good nurse as well.

46 months ago

eramirez in Vallejo, California said: Does any body knows the salary range in SACRAMENTO CA, OR SAN FRANCISCO for LVNs

Hi i'm going into the lvn program at napa and just wanted to know how many days a week do you go and for clinical how many days did you go also? And for the payment are we able to get a loan for that? thank you for your help.

brittany in San Bernardino, California

46 months ago

i graduate school in january and am looking for a cheap college in san bernardino or colton tht has a good lvn program any suggestions?

luvnhellokitty in Rancho Cucamonga, California

46 months ago

i would go to a community college it would be alot cheaper than going to a trade school but before u decide make an appointment at valley community college and talk to a counselor about your options if you meet with someone from a trade school make sure you go home and think about it and do your research on that school before you sign up

nursekee in Vacaville, California

43 months ago

Kaths2go in Sacramento, California said: Hi,how did your boyfriend like Unitek College?
I was also thinking of going there? They told me it was going to around 27,000? for the coarse

it's 34k. i graduated and hated it. they were new teachers so didn't know how to be a teacher!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Moe in Santa Rosa, California

43 months ago

eltamo2 in Vallejo, California said: Hi i'm going into the lvn program at napa and just wanted to know how many days a week do you go and for clinical how many days did you go also? And for the payment are we able to get a loan for that? thank you for your help.

Umm. I apologize for being rude but.. you are making a committment to a school and there are questions you have not yet had answered? Why would you come here and get that information second or third hand online when all you need to do is call the school or if already getting ready to start as you said, just ask your student rep or anyone working there? Why would you not ask those questions before committing to a school?

If anyone is considering a local school, dont waste time going online and asking. You don't know if the information you are getting is correct when you do that. Instead, Walk into the school and get the inormation straight from the school. Pick up some brochures...

Somtimes my facility hires new grads and they wind up getting fired before their probation period is over. Usually it is a lack of critical thinking skills and the inability to prioritize tasks. They appear to lack common sense in certain situations. When I read posts like the above I worry for the poster in their new career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Moe in Santa Rosa, California

43 months ago

nursekee in Vacaville, California said: it's 34k. i graduated and hated it. they were new teachers so didn't know how to be a teacher!

Back when Unitek was about to start their very first class (LVN)in Sacramento, I tested and then paid my deposit and registered. I went to the school several times after that just to hang out and talk to people. I developed a bad feeling about the school and wound up getting my $2500 deposit back. They did not seem prepared or staffed well enough to be teaching a truly professional nursing class. I went elsewhere and every now and then I see comments that support my decision to dump Unitek.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ramireze in Vallejo, California

43 months ago

I can answer her/his questions. I just finish the program, and I believe that
some times they don't like to give a clear answer because they like to be in charge over the students especially in this program. The director she is the one who makes the schedule, but the classes are always going to be Thursday and Friday no matter what, clinical and lecture including summer. For the clinical part either you go in the morning or afternoon as well at the end of the program for preceptorship. You would have breaks of 1 or 2 two weeks on Holydays

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Vallejo, California

43 months ago

Moe in Santa Rosa, California said: Umm. I apologize for being rude but.. you are making a committment to a school and there are questions you have not yet had answered? Why would you come here and get that information second or third hand online when all you need to do is call the school or if already getting ready to start as you said, just ask your student rep or anyone working there? Why would you not ask those questions before committing to a school?

If anyone is considering a local school, dont waste time going online and asking. You don't know if the information you are getting is correct when you do that. Instead, Walk into the school and get the inormation straight from the school. Pick up some brochures...

Somtimes my facility hires new grads and they wind up getting fired before their probation period is over. Usually it is a lack of critical thinking skills and the inability to prioritize tasks. They appear to lack common sense in certain situations. When I read posts like the above I worry for the poster in their new career.

Not to be rude and all if you have such a problem about other people posting asking question about a certain program then why are you even in this form if you have a problem with the question people post maybe you should find a different form were people dont post these kind of question?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Vallejo, California

43 months ago

Moe in Santa Rosa, California said: Umm. I apologize for being rude but.. you are making a committment to a school and there are questions you have not yet had answered? Why would you come here and get that information second or third hand online when all you need to do is call the school or if already getting ready to start as you said, just ask your student rep or anyone working there? Why would you not ask those questions before committing to a school?

Not to be rude and all why are you even in this form if you have a problem with people posting asking question about a certain program you dont even know the whole story behind the question that are being asked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

eltamo2 in Vallejo, California said: Hi i'm going into the lvn program at napa and just wanted to know how many days a week do you go and for clinical how many days did you go also? And for the payment are we able to get a loan for that? thank you for your help.

I can answer your questions. I just finish the program, and I believe that
some times they don't like to give a clear answer because they like to be in charge over the students especially in this program. The director she is the one who makes the schedule, but the classes are always going to be Thursday and Friday no matter what, clinical and lecture including summer. For the clinical part either you go in the morning or afternoon as well at the end of the program for preceptorship. You would have breaks of 1 or 2 two weeks on Holydays. This program prepares very good. I was there the day you guys were trying on the uniforms Good luck if you need any more information email me enma67@yahoo.com

DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO NEGATIVE PERSONS LIKE MOE, THAT WORRIES ABOUT A SIMPLE POSTING MMMMMMMM BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR B/P MOE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Moe in Santa Rosa, California said: Back when Unitek was about to start their very first class (LVN)in Sacramento, I tested and then paid my deposit and registered. I went to the school several times after that just to hang out and talk to people. I developed a bad feeling about the school and wound up getting my $2500 deposit back. They did not seem prepared or staffed well enough to be teaching a truly professional nursing class. I went elsewhere and every now and then I see comments that support my decision to dump Unitek.

WHERE DID YOU WENT? CAN YOU PUT THE NAME "ELSEWHERE" IS NOT HELPFUL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.