ADN vs. BSN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

FutureNurse1106 in Beltsville, Maryland

34 months ago

Hello Everyone! I am having a hard time deciding if I should transfer from my current Community College to a University. The school I go to now's next clinical rotation isn't until 2013, graduating 2015 (Associate's). I've been done all of my pre-req's and was wondering if it would be best if I transfer to a BSN program and possibly get done a degree in the same amount of time from now give or take another year or should I just stick it out here and wait for a spot? I know its tough out here for new grad's to get jobs so will a BSN possibly improve my chances? Also, I ultimately want to become a Nurse Practitioner so I would like to not prolong getting my Master's just stuck on which route to take. Can anyone offer some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

34 months ago

The market is very tight in the Washington area and some hospitals will not look at your resume without a BSN. There are too many universities in the area pumping out hundreds of new grad BSNs and an ADN would be a disadvantage. Just three to four years ago, it would not have mattered so much. I have a dear friend who has an ADN and two Masters in unrelated fields who had a tough time landing a position. Luckily he just landed an internship at Sibley in the OR after much PR, face time and many references. If you already know that you want to be in advance practice, why not just go into a BSN, if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anem in San Leandro, California

33 months ago

The BSN degree is quickly becoming the strong preference (if not requirement) of many healthcare employers. You can find programs to transition from a registered nurse to a Bachelor's of science in nursing here: rn-to-bsn.org/programs/maryland/ and learn more about the importance of making this career move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nichole Hudson in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

The BSN program is open for high school graduates and also to college graduates holding a baccalaureate degree in a field other than nursing. Even diploma or associate degree holders can also apply this course.
This accelerated nursing program offers also have two options: one year program and two year program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

33 months ago

Nichole Hudson in Los Angeles, California said: The BSN program is open for high school graduates and also to college graduates holding a baccalaureate degree in a field other than nursing. Even diploma or associate degree holders can also apply this course.
This accelerated nursing program offers also have two options: one year program and two year program.

The OP states that they are in a community college so to do the accelerated BSN, they would have to complete a bachelor's first. The option for them would be to do the traditional BSN or the ADN. The accelerated program does not make sense at this point.

Jason in Dallas, Texas

26 months ago

It would be a good idea to get your BSN. It appears that more and more jobs are requiring bachelor's or master's degree, even though job experience or associate degree was enough in the past. Also getting higher degree does look better on resume.
I would try to get a job with a degree from community college and try to get higher degree at the same time. It won't be easy to work and study at the same time, but you might want to consider a degree online. I know some people who does that and it seems to be working for them. You can check out www.onlineuticacollege.com/programs/doctorate-physical-therapy.asp for online RN to BSN degree.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.