Board ordered nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 928)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

queenvictoria in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

Boy do I know how you feel. Due to a drug problem I surrendered my license and then got it back with Board Order for 3 years. UA's, meeting attendance, RN in area blah blah blah. I bagged my pride and went to start a dailysis career where the stipulations were not an issue. I had a snafu getting the ua's started in time and that really messed things up. Even though I worked 3 years at the dialysis unit, since the UA's had only been going on for a year, my stipulations are gonna stick until I have 3 years of UA's. So basically my order is gonna go on forever. Let me give you some good advice- go apply at those big dialysis companies. Be upfront right off the bat. Tell them you have stips that will not affect your job. Be honest up front!!! I tried to get jobs at other places but they treated me like I had VD. I am still on Order 3.3 years later and have no problem finding jobs in dialysis. It may not be your dream job, but you have a license and the pay is good. Just remember that at the end of the rainbow is an unencumbered license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ivannursing in Allentown, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

odu in Houston, Texas said: hi, i have a stipulation with the board of nursing due to a charge that i acquired 11years ago on drug distribution charge. this stipulation includes
1. have to be under supervision by another RN who doesn't necessarily have to be on my unit
2. submit a UA test very so often

am in need of a job desperately anywhere in Texas at-least for the next 1 year after which the stipulation will be removed i believe.

can anyone give me ideas on what to do. i have filed out over 121 applications with only 2 interview. i need help so bad

Hello, how are you doing? I was just wondering how long did it took you to get your license? Did it go through the further review that has to be paid $150 dollars? I am trying to get my license endorse to Texas, but I had a drug felony of distribution to dangerous drugs in 1992. Any help would be grateful appreciated. Thank you.
Ivan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

odu in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

Ivannursing in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: Hello, how are you doing? I was just wondering how long did it took you to get your license? Did it go through the further review that has to be paid $150 dollars? I am trying to get my license endorse to Texas, but I had a drug felony of distribution to dangerous drugs in 1992. Any help would be grateful appreciated. Thank you.
Ivan

well, it took me about a year to get my license, however the added a stipulation to the license. the process of getting it was experience( about 700) to say the least, but its do able. the only problem is the stipulation added to the license.. that makes me sick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

queen_vic in San Antonio, Texas

56 months ago

Good Luck Fellow Offender! I am not even a Felon and the Board has helped me ruin my life. I admit what I did was wrong, I got in trouble, but they can be absurd with their decision making. Logic seems irrelevent. I am lucky to have a current license but it is a bummer too....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

odu in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

queen_vic in San Antonio, Texas said: Good Luck Fellow Offender! I am not even a Felon and the Board has helped me ruin my life. I admit what I did was wrong, I got in trouble, but they can be absurd with their decision making. Logic seems irrelevent. I am lucky to have a current license but it is a bummer too....

i just started a crappy job and i am on stipulation. i can i avoid other aspects in term of the UA submission. basically, am asking form ur experience how did u get the UA process initiated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

odu in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

queen_vic in San Antonio, Texas said: Didn't the Board tell you how to start ua's? Where is your job? I need one! What are your stips? If you don't mind sh

i got one in a crappy nursing home. offered only 24hrs a week. yeah the told me to send a paper to them " notification of employemnt" and something about initiating the UA process. thats were i got lost. all am trying to do is tol avoid any problem and to get this one year of stipulation out of the way as safe as possbile without any other problems included.. i need help from someone who has traveled through that lane before for advise on the best way to do that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

odu in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

its called beechnut manor in houston texas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hopeful in San Antonio, Texas

55 months ago

queen_vic in San Antonio, Texas said: Didn't the Board tell you how to start ua's? Where is your job? I need one! What are your stips? If you don't mind sharing...

QueenV

Hello, I just became an LVN and I too have stipulations. Reading all of the comments has made me so scared! I have a misdemeaner possession charge from when i was 18 that was dismissed from my record yet i'll still have stipulations for one year. I just have to have UAs for a year. No narc stips. I guess my question is if god willing I do get an interview how should I bring it up? Good luck to all of you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bj in New York, New York

51 months ago

hopeful in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello, I just became an LVN and I too have stipulations. Reading all of the comments has made me so scared! I have a misdemeaner possession charge from when i was 18 that was dismissed from my record yet i'll still have stipulations for one year. I just have to have UAs for a year. No narc stips. I guess my question is if god willing I do get an interview how should I bring it up? Good luck to all of you!

Hey Hopeful!!! Where did you go to school if you don't mind me asking!? I am considering LVN schools in San Antonio. Also, I had a DWI dismissed (thankfully), would that require stipulations? thanks all. and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pheobe Everly in Kansas City, Missouri

51 months ago

odu in Houston, Texas said: hi, i have a stipulation with the board of nursing due to a charge that i acquired 11years ago on drug distribution charge. this stipulation includes
1. have to be under supervision by another RN who doesn't necessarily have to be on my unit
2. submit a UA test very so often

am in need of a job desperately anywhere in Texas at-least for the next 1 year after which the stipulation will be removed i believe.

can anyone give me ideas on what to do. i have filed out over 121 applications with only 2 interview. i need help so bad

I am now off probation, but in my file the complete description of my offense and the discipline (no keys, no supervisory duties, not home health care jobs) remain for anyone to see. The report was brutally honest and offered not one positive comment of me. In other words made me seem like scum from the black lagoon. Is this black/cynical humor from the Perfect Ones who sit on the Board, when they realize that any prospective employer will probably not hire me? I made one mistake, was not tried in a court of law (was not provided legal counsel), and am now burdened with this report for the rest of my life, it will never be expunged. I Wonder why didn't they just revoke my license -- since the effect will probably be the same! In recovery we learn addiction is a disease, but the Boards of Nursing consider it a character flaw that reduces us to second class citizens and second class citizens that cannot be trusted. I am sure their self-righteousness keeps them rolling along.And their bureaucratic situation sufficiently isolated from the real world. They never seemed interested in getting to know the real me -- just a nursing license number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MujerNica in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Well if the BON decide by a miracle of God that I can have a license this is probably the predicament I'll be in as well. I have a lovely court martial for drug charges from 1998 on my record AND a POM misdeamenor charge from 2001. I can only leave this is God's hands because if I don't I'll drive myself nuts. But does anyone have any suggestions that I can do until I hear back from the BON? I got a letter from them in May saying that my case was transfered to the enforcement section and it'd be another 3 months before I hear back. Just trying to see if there's anything I can do to help my situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

csdk in Round Rock, Texas

48 months ago

I am waiting for the paper work to come thru with a BON order. No narcs for a year,,,,blah blah blah. Not much different than others. My biggest complaint is this: I got DUI in California and had gotten on a program there. So, no narcotics kinda make me mad. I am active in AA, so I have the solution. Hope we all can find an answer in all this. I am 45 and starting over. Greatful? Working on it. God Bless....
Guess dialysis is better than nothing.
CK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hopeful in Houston in Houston, Texas

48 months ago

I also have an order. I was fired from my job when I handed over the order. Now I have been looking for work now for 3 mths. No call backs as soon as they find out I have an order.... HELP.. I wish there was more support for this...............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Please come join me on this new Forums, I have made.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Hopeful in Houston in Houston, Texas said: Please come join me on this new Forums, I have made.

allnurses.com/texas-nurses/i-have-order-493274.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sarn719 in San Antonio, Texas

48 months ago

This Board order is a joke! I started the BO but the BON forgot the UA's and after 2 years of calling and writing they threatened to revoke! I am still on BO 4 years later but now I can't find a job! HELP!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sarn719 in San Antonio, Texas

48 months ago

AMAZINGLY, upon further investigation, the board will go after you even if all charges are dropped or you a found "not guilty." The BON has given us stipulations but no chance of a safe job. I read an attorney blog that read that encumbered licensed nurses are excellent nurses because they know what they have to lose! And that only good employers hire us! I agree with the first part but not the last! I quit my last crappy job because of all the narcs being stolen on the shift BEFORE mine, the DON didn't give hoot, I couldn't get wrapped up in that, it made me sick! I just renewed my RN and am living on a prayer! Help, I need a job!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

hopeful in san antonio in Cedar Park, Texas

48 months ago

Well I am an lvn on stips due to 2 misdemeanors I got as a teen before I decided to become a nurse I got one yr stips with drug testing & all that. So I'm half way thru & hoping to go back to RN school & I turned in my petition 9 months ago & still have not heard back. First off I don't understand why they are so rude when u call with questions. I want to tell them look you guys have made over a grand off my mistakes the least you can do is answer a simple question. Then they tell me that it doesn't matter that I'm in lvn stips the RN is separate. So does that mean ill have to do this all over again for my RN ? Please if anyone knows if they can punish me twice let me know !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

waldi in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

per my sch policy anyone w/0.02 or higher ETOH level "shall be terminated". been RN 25 yrs (SN for 10yr)- never disp action, infarction w/law or dx of addiction/drug abuse. am social drinker but made stupid mistake of going in to work after not eating, sleeping...just talking/venting stress w/friends and drinking way too much wine all pm. My AP and boss concerned I wasn't "myself" when I arrived before school start the nxt day (never signed in or had interaction/treatment w/students/patients) Anyway, was tested and my ETOH level was definitely above 0.02. I admitted to my boss what I did the previous pm and knew I should not have come in, but I did. Boss drove me home, said to stay home until I hear from her. Happen'd 3 days ago, have had no word/correspondence w/her since.
I am so distraught, angry at myself and scared...any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hopeful in houston in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

waldi in Houston, Texas said: per my sch policy anyone w/0.02 or higher ETOH level "shall be terminated". been RN 25 yrs (SN for 10yr)- never disp action, infarction w/law or dx of addiction/drug abuse. am social drinker but made stupid mistake of going in to work after not eating, sleeping...just talking/venting stress w/friends and drinking way too much wine all pm. My AP and boss concerned I wasn't "myself" when I arrived before school start the nxt day (never signed in or had interaction/treatment w/students/patients) Anyway, was tested and my ETOH level was definitely above 0.02. I admitted to my boss what I did the previous pm and knew I should not have come in, but I did. Boss drove me home, said to stay home until I hear from her. Happen'd 3 days ago, have had no word/correspondence w/her since.
I am so distraught, angry at myself and scared...any suggestions?

I am sure it must be hard,right now. I hate to tell you all you can do is wait. email me if you like. littlea47@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cbop in San Antonio, Texas

46 months ago

I am in the same position. I am in great need of a job. I am so depressed that I have almost decided to quit nursing all together. I am a great nurse and have excellent references and so forth however no one is willing to give me a shot. Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Boca Raton, Florida

44 months ago

For any of you that had a license suspended/revoked by the NURSING BOARD regardless if you earned it back they are required by LAW to report the basic details to the National Practioner Data Bank and also possibly to the Office of the Attorney General who will have the 'final say' as to whether you will be banned from working in any job which receives Medicare/Medicaid assistance..AKA..ALL nursing jobs.It is required by LAW for all hospitals,nursing homes that they must view the list of all those on the Data Bank registry minimum of every 2 yrs.Most employers,especially the better hospitals will check if a potential applicate is listed,if so you will not be hired.This was created for overall consumer safety and to put a stop to the nurse loosing a license in 1 state and then going on to obtain 1 in another state all the while she is still actively using and diverting drugs from every job and endangering people's lives.With this centralized data bank all information regarding a particular disciplined nurse regardless of how many states she/he is or was licensed in appear to those seeking this information.If any of you fall into this category go to the National Practioner Data Bank website and "query"[ask]for any report filed on you,it costs $16 for the 2 reports you will need,just follow their directions.If you were infact listed here please know the report stays on FOREVER,it will list the date license was suspended/revoked and also the date it was reinstated.Additionally and more importantly you want to go to website of OAG[Office of Attorney General]you can easily check their data base for free to see if you were reported to them,they are the entity that decides if you will placed on the EXCLUSION list and the criteria is VERY specific to the details of your particular case.If on here,it usually is for 5yrs regardless of when you got your license back,you WILL NOT be automatically removed,you must apply to them for reinstatement.Detox/treatment centers will hire

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

carmine5

42 months ago

i've got 2 DWIs and had no problem renewing. Was seeing a psych MD after a huge breakup and bout of depression on prescribed meds which made me sleepy. Took a nap at work and my friend let me sleep for 2 1/2 hours, which im responsible for, but a non-injury pt fell happened and thats how i was awoken. Was terminated by HR, my manager had already discussed the situation prior and was moving on but HR got a hold of it and boy couldn't wait to turn me in. They tried to take away my narc passing ability as well as several other ridiculous stipulations. I wrote back after every agreement offer they sent me and truly with the right words got the narc deal taking off and mental health eval taking off. You got to fight it, Im still stuck with 3 years of UA's and a chemical dependency eval. Im gonna be writing to get the UAs off real soon since passed my chemical dependency eval with flying colors. The board will throw in all sorts of unrealistic and unrelated requirements, they love it. Don't agree or sign anything til you get whats fair. 10 yrs ICU rn and now seeking jobs in LTC. Having no luck with that right now either. This sucks!!!!!!!! Never have i had one problem with my license til 08 and they didn't even respond to me until 2010. 2 years after the freaking event, ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Thanks for your post...I can soo relate.My BON nightmare began 7 SEVEN[!!]years ago,I can't seem to get out from underneath it all.Have just under 3yrs left in monitoring program[u/a's,meetings,work restrictions,fortunatly no narc restriction]it will be freakin' 9 yrs after all said and done,I'll be almost 60yrs old.I was 30yrs an RN,did coke at a party,reported to NJ BON...no joke..this has cost me 750K[3/4 MILLION dollars!!]to date,I lost EVERYTHING.So hard getting a DECENT job,FYI....drug detox centers,dialysis centers,case management,if Vitas Hospice in your area they hire,also career colleges will hire you to teach HHA/Patient care tech classes.PS make sure you are not on data banks[see my prior post].Please feel free[ANYONE else for that matter]to email me,us "hot mess,unemployable,hopelessly addicted criminals"need to stick together in support of each other,this was the WORST thing that I have EVER had to go through,ANY help I can offer others it would be my honor!..patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

carmine5 said: i've got 2 DWIs and had no problem renewing. Was seeing a psych MD after a huge breakup and bout of depression on prescribed meds which made me sleepy. Took a nap at work and my friend let me sleep for 2 1/2 hours, which im responsible for, but a non-injury pt fell happened and thats how i was awoken. Was terminated by HR, my manager had already discussed the situation prior and was moving on but HR got a hold of it and boy couldn't wait to turn me in. They tried to take away my narc passing ability as well as several other ridiculous stipulations. I wrote back after every agreement offer they sent me and truly with the right words got the narc deal taking off and mental health eval taking off. You got to fight it, Im still stuck with 3 years of UA's and a chemical dependency eval. Im gonna be writing to get the UAs off real soon since passed my chemical dependency eval with flying colors. The board will throw in all sorts of unrealistic and unrelated requirements, they love it. Don't agree or sign anything til you get whats fair. 10 yrs ICU rn and now seeking jobs in LTC. Having no luck with that right now either. This sucks!!!!!!!! Never have i had one problem with my license til 08 and they didn't even respond to me until 2010. 2 years after the freaking event, ridiculous.

Carmine5...Not too good at navigating this...above post was in response to you dear carmine5

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carmine5 in Florissant, Missouri

42 months ago

Who the hell turned u in if u don't mind me asking?? My god, was it a friend or some other crackhead thinking they would f&%$ with ur life. [QUOTE who="anamcara517 ysis centers,case management,if Vitas Hospice in your area they hire,also career colleges will hire you to teach HHA/Patient care tech classes.PS make sure you are not on data banks[see my prior post].Please feel free[ANYONE else for that matter]to email me,us "hot mess,unemployable,hopelessly addicted criminals"need to stick together in support of each other,this was the WORST thing that I have EVER had to go through,ANY help I can offer others it would be my honor!..patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com

I

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

carmine5 in Florissant, Missouri said: Who the hell turned u in if u don't mind me asking?? My god, was it a friend or some other crackhead thinking they would f&%$ with ur life. [QUOTE who="anamcara517 ysis centers,case management,if Vitas Hospice in your area they hire,also career colleges will hire you to teach HHA/Patient care tech classes.PS make sure you are not on data banks[see my prior post].Please feel free[ANYONE else for that matter]to email me,us "hot mess,unemployable,hopelessly addicted criminals"need to stick together in support of each other,this was the WORST thing that I have EVER had to go through,ANY help I can offer others it would be my honor!..patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com

I

Co-worker..worst of all the ADN reported me DIRECTLY to NJ BON instead of the state monitoring program....thus the integrity of my license was violated FOREVER.That is the worst part of my whole ordeal,I should have been afforded the option/protection of a contract with NJ nurses' monitoring program which as long as you comply with specifics of individual contract you DON'T get any attachments to your professional license...as a result it will FOREVER say I had a SUSPENDED nursing license..for me anyway this is the MAIN reason I canNOT even get an interview at ANY hospitals,totally blackballed as ALL applications are linked online through those "job carts"and EVERY place ALWAYS asks if you ever had a suspension,can't lie because by law they MUST check National Practioner Data Bank...there I am now and forever!The best is my speciality is Behavioral Health/Addictions,I was a charge nurse on Detox unit when this happened to me!Good God if a nurse with 36yrs of experience certified in Psych and Addiction,in recovery herself with NO narcotic restriction can't get a job in the very speciality that should understand all of this something is really wrong??!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carmine5 in Saint Louis, Missouri

42 months ago

Help me. All i can do is cry and cry and cry. I can't get anything anamcara517. BSN and 10 years of exceptional nursing. I don't even know where to turn thats not nurse job related. I sit here at the computer applying over and over and over again. I've tried applying at dialysis centers and called inpatient detox centers. I can do better than delivering pizzas but what is out there. I've lost my mind and am hopeless. I've thought of calling doctors i've worked with over the years that are aware of my knowledge, but how weird to contact them out of the blue. no money, can't pay bills and moving nowhere in life. There has to be someone out there. I look lazy day after day sitting at this computer and getting nothing accomplished.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

42 months ago

Carmine.Good to hear from you! Please contact me at my personal email:patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com Any nurse going through this,please feel free to also contact me,I have made a personal committment going forward in my life to help ANY nurse in ANY way I can through this MOST devastating of experiences.I may not [will not,unfortunately]be able to ease anyone's financial troubles[this has cost me 750k[!!] to date!!]but I can offer support,direction,concern,loving guidance.Sometimes there are gifts we can offer others which are worth MORE than $.Please let me hear from you! anamcara517

rugfromunderme in Laredo, Texas

42 months ago

I was employed with my stipulated license by a long term care facility. I have been an employee for more than two years. Yesterday they tell me that sometime during my employment the job description changed, which they couldn't even tell me when it changed, they weren't sure. Now apparently nurses employed there cannot have encumbered license, even though my DON was submitting the quarterly performance evals and was fully aware of my status, she happens to be on maternity leave so she can't help me now. They decided, because some medication aid let her license expire and didn't inform them and continued to pass meds, to audit everyone's license. Now I am going to be terminated, just like that. "Its not because of job performance, your a good nurse and an asset" is what they told me, "clear this up and come back because your eligible for rehire" allegedly. How can they railroad me like this? I feel so defeated, the dark dismal place the BON put me in with their stips has been killing me slowly. The BON which I feel depend on nurses making mistakes to fine and give the "approved providers" for remedial education business, wonder if they get kickbacks? Now instead of almost resolving my agreed order, I am back at square 1, don't know where I will get another job, I am being let go like if I have the Plague. I am going to lose my sanity, I am the only provider in my house hold, what will I do? Why can't I be grandfathered in? This mistake I made was in 2006, I don't have any limitations, as far as no keys or narcs or anything like that. They could have let me know about this change whenever it happened which apparently was appx a year ago, but they are not sure. Curse the BON and there "molasses in the wintertime" speed at which they work. Now what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hopeful in Houston, Texas

42 months ago

wow....... I am sorry..........email me if you like...... Littlea47@yahoo.com
you are not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

secondchance in San Antonio, Texas

41 months ago

wow that is very callus. you need to keep in mind there are some bad nurses out there that deserve this crap the board calls discipline and there are some of us like myself who made stupid choices as a teenager and get put on these programs when trying to achieve my dream and make something of myself. those who are not sinners may be the first to cast stones

cbop in San Antonio, Texas

41 months ago

So what do we do? How can we all help one another? I have been looking for a job now for over one year? I am so ready to give up? funny thing is - everyone needs nurses so badly, they just dont want to give anyone a second chance.
I am willing to do any kind of work - help!!!1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ENT in Wylie, Texas

41 months ago

What are the penalties for working on expired license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

carminegunn in Belton, Missouri

41 months ago

I finally got a job, a pulled a heart string. Its nursing home but knew that was where it would be and a bit of a drive. MY advice to you is don't give up keep applying job after job on careerbuilder and any other job sights with your resume. I don't know your situation as far as, are you on probation and what stipulations do you have. I applied for any and everything that was within my settlement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

ENT in Wylie, Texas said: What are the penalties for working on expired license

if the board of nursing finds out you could lose your license. Either suspension, revocation, or probation. I would stop working immediately and not start again until its renewed and pray no one finds out. I would let your nurse manager know you can't work and not tell her details on the fact you've been working while expired. Make up something or take small leave of absence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

]I am a RN and have recently recieved a Board order from the Board of Nurses stating i must work under the supervision of another RN dosent have to be on the same floor but working the same hours and that RN must be readily avaiable to ansewr any questions i may have while i am on duty my question is i am a longterm nurse and has very little acute care experience yet a fast learner where in Dallas county do you think i could apply for employment and possibly be accepted. Last position was Director Of Nurses

It just means you can't work home health or hospice out in the field where you will be working solely by yourself. Working at a nursing home, hospital, or even in a office doing quantitative analysis or nursing office type job. Getting into a hospital with these restrictions on license is pretty much not possible. I've done icu for 10 years and tried even prior to the settlement being in effect but was honest with them knowing it would be coming into play soon. i then focused on nursing homes strictly. hope that helped

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

Wow!!! in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I just happened to stumble onto this forum and I am shocked at how many nurses have substance abuse problems. Also amazed at all the excuses. If I was a convicted of robbing a bank, I would never get a job at Bank of America. Same thing with nursing. You get caught diverting or have a substance abuse problem, please tell me why Joe Public should put his life and health in your hands? Yes I believe everyone has the right to earn an honest living but it doesn't have to be in nursing. There are consequences to foolish actions.

Wow!! Back at you Raleigh!! I seriously don't even know where to begin regarding your highly judgemental,self rightous,grossly uninformed comment...seriously??!!News flash,addiction[to anything]is a DISEASE,similar to heart disease,diabetes,AIDS[remember the "gay disease"]it is deserving of TREATMENT just like ANY other medical condition.The DISEASE of drug/alcohol addiction does NOT discriminate,it is an equal opportunity disease,any 1 even YOU could sucuumb.Nurses' still in ACTIVE addiction most certainly put themselves and the public at risk when they practice while under the influence of drugs/alcohol and all would agree they should not be allowed to work in nursing until they have been treated and are in solid recovery.That is why almost every state has a monitoring program,it is their job to monitor recovering nurses,and trust me monitor you they do!If a nurse became diabetic but is now stable with dietary restricitions,Insulin and daily monitoring of blood sugars should this nurse not be allowed to EVER work as a nurse again??!!Then why is it if an addicted nurse gets rehab,practices a life rooted in recovery,is being monitored for compliance by the state why should this nurse be denied working in the very profession she probably has dedicated a large part of her/his life to??Very sad,frankly unbelievable,folks like you are actually out there.I will pray for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

41 months ago

ENT in Wylie, Texas said: What are the penalties for working on expired license

SOmething big that could happen to a hospital/nursing home/home health/hospice agency.......if one is working in a setting that receives reimbursement for Medicare/Medicaid (i.e. hospitals and nursing homes), CMS (Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services) could require that agency to pay a hefty fine for all of the patients/residents who the unlicensed nurse performed billed services on (i.e. wound care, etc). CMS views that as health care fraud.

In the most extreme scenerio (not sure all the specifics of your situation), you could be potentially opening yourself up to not only having board discipline through your state nursing board, BUT they could also refer you to the Federal Exclusions list (which is basically the worst thing that can happen). You will be prohibited from working anywhere that Medicare/Medicaid provides reimbursement, which is pretty much everywhere a nurse is employed.

lookingforward72 in Brevard, North Carolina

41 months ago

Wow!!! in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I just happened to stumble onto this forum and I am shocked at how many nurses have substance abuse problems. Also amazed at all the excuses. If I was a convicted of robbing a bank, I would never get a job at Bank of America. Same thing with nursing. You get caught diverting or have a substance abuse problem, please tell me why Joe Public should put his life and health in your hands? Yes I believe everyone has the right to earn an honest living but it doesn't have to be in nursing. There are consequences to foolish actions.

yes you are right there are consequences to foolish actions. EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM IS PAYING THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THERE ACTIONS.I doou believe that if you will take the time to read these post carefully you will relize that we are not making excuses for what we have done but simply trying to find a way back to the job that we love. The programs offered to nurses with drug or alcohol related offenses are not easy to adhere to, pay for, or explain to potential employers. Please know that we are paying dearly for the mistakes we have made. Because we love what we do and despite our mistakes will do whatever it takes to get back to it. Not everyone here on this forum is here for drugs some are here for honest mistakes, problems they had before they entered the nursing field and some here are even paying for others mistakes. IT'S LIKE YOUR MOM SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU...... IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY THING GOOD TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!! FIND A NEW PLACE TO CHAT. WE ARE HERE FOR EACH OTHERS SUPPORT NOT FOR YOU TO JUDGE. IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT JUST GET A JOB WITH ANY OF THE STATES BOARD OF NURSING AND GET PAID FOR IT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Boynton Beach, Florida

41 months ago

lookingforward72 in Brevard, North Carolina said: yes you are right there are consequences to foolish actions. EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM IS PAYING THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THERE ACTIONS.I doou believe that if you will take the time to read these post carefully you will relize that we are not making excuses for what we have done but simply trying to find a way back to the job that we love. The programs offered to nurses with drug or alcohol related offenses are not easy to adhere to, pay for, or explain to potential employers. Please know that we are paying dearly for the mistakes we have made. Because we love what we do and despite our mistakes will do whatever it takes to get back to it. Not everyone here on this forum is here for drugs some are here for honest mistakes, problems they had before they entered the nursing field and some here are even paying for others mistakes. IT'S LIKE YOUR MOM SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU...... IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY THING GOOD TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!! FIND A NEW PLACE TO CHAT. WE ARE HERE FOR EACH OTHERS SUPPORT NOT FOR YOU TO JUDGE. IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT JUST GET A JOB WITH ANY OF THE STATES BOARD OF NURSING AND GET PAID FOR IT!!!

Well said "Movingforward72",BRAVO!! I've been trying for 7yrs to get out from under all of this,has cost me over 3/4 MILLION $ to date with lost income,loss of home,car,savings,legals,medical and other bills.I was 30yrs a nurse when all this happened,have been in solid recovery over 3yrs,still cannot sustain gainful employment.I cope by reaching out to help others,I made a personal committment to reach out to ANY nurse going through discipline,addiction issues.I am determined to make my difficult journey through all of this count for something,I have a lot to offer,most of all...I care.Feel free[ANYONE!]to email me,I will help anyway I can.Warm regards....pat patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

confused in Greensboro, North Carolina

40 months ago

I need help,advice, i was accused of diverting, the medication i am accused of diverting i take by illegal means. i have a problem but did not divert however my charting and work sucks from just not caring, even i would believe i diverted, so i was asked to submit a drug screen, i did i have til monday to change my mind. would you submit knowing it will be positive or deny it and let the pieces fall where they may? please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lilygirl53 in Shelby, North Carolina

40 months ago

hey Greensboro, Im here near you and the NCBON is hard on us.. Im in the same boat we need to talk.....

confused in Greensboro, North Carolina

40 months ago

ok is there a way to contact on here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

40 months ago

confused in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I need help,advice, i was accused of diverting, the medication i am accused of diverting i take by illegal means. i have a problem but did not divert however my charting and work sucks from just not caring, even i would believe i diverted, so i was asked to submit a drug screen, i did i have til monday to change my mind. would you submit knowing it will be positive or deny it and let the pieces fall where they may? please help

I am pretty familiar with investigations of misappropriation of medications. I am not an attorney, but my recommendation to you to is to NOT submit a drug screen, since you already know you will test positive due to already taking the medications illegally. What specifically if I may ask is leading to you being accussed of medication theft? Is this a nursing home setting, hospital setting, etc. Some may think 1+1=5, so if you take the drug test and test positive, they may automatically assume you did it, and that may sway how they investigate. It is sort of like if one believe's something, then find's evidence to support what one believe. Is this a medication that requires two nurses to count each shift? I would recommend that you ask them specifically what you are being accused of, and for you to sit down and document and go over evidence to help come up with credible information.

Is law enforcement involved? If so, I would definitely recommend you get an attorney so you do not mistakenly incriminate yourself.

lilygirl53 in Shelby, North Carolina

40 months ago

confused in Greensboro, North Carolina said: ok is there a way to contact on here?

I dont think there is way to connect on here but here is my email address shoot me a email bootaynurse@yahoo.com

Educated, not ignorant in Aurora, Colorado

40 months ago

I am stunned by such profound ignorance. The AMA declared substance use disorders as legitimate diseases way back in the 1950's, due to their chronic, progressive and fatal nature. Read this article, maybe you could learn something although it seems doubtful since learning requires an open....NOT NARROW..mind.
[Special Section: Defining and Measuring “Recovery”
Special article
What is recovery? A working definition from the Betty Ford Institute
The Betty Ford Institute Consensus Panel☆
Received 16 February 2007; received in revised form 4 June 2007
Abstract
There is an unknown but very large number of individuals who have experienced and successfully resolved dependence on alcohol or
other drugs. These individuals refer to their new sober and productive lifestyle as “recovery.” Although widely used, the lack of a standard definition for this term has hindered public understanding and research on the topic that might foster more and better recovery-oriented interventions. To this end, a group of interested researchers, treatment providers, recovery advocates, and policymakers was convened by the Betty Ford Institute to develop an initial definition of recovery as a starting point for better communication, research, and public understanding.
Recovery is defined in this article as a voluntarily maintained lifestyle characterized by sobriety, personal health, and citizenship. This article presents the operational definitions, rationales, and research implications for each of the three elements of this definition. © 2007 Published by Elsevier Inc.
Keywords: Recovery; Addiction; Substance use disorders; Addiction treatment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Educated, not ignorant in Aurora, Colorado

40 months ago

I apologize for my comment getting misplaced so let me make it clear that it was addressed to the judgmental one hailing from North Carolina, posted about March 1, 2011. You know, the one with all the answers without asking a single question. You know who you are. Now get to the library and read the Elsevier article post haste!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DissappointedinRaleighRN in Raeford, North Carolina

39 months ago

lilygirl53 in Shelby, North Carolina said: hey Greensboro, Im here near you and the NCBON is hard on us.. Im in the same boat we need to talk.....

Hi! I'm in Raleigh, N.C. and have been in complete recovery for 11 years. I waited to apply for reinstatement until my child started school but have had restricted license for 5 years now. Been offered seven jobs but Board would not approve due to tiny little issues they said did not meet restriction rules and just found out that Pitt Health Systems/Eastern N.C. Health Facilities will not hire nurses with any restrictions on their license and this was personally told to me by a nurse recruiter from Pitt. Also, Wake Med and Duke is now saying they will not hire nurses with any restrictions on their license. So, where are we to turn? The Board will not even suggest a facility to try to get a job at. It seems they offer the programs just so they can say they offer them but really do not want us back because they make it almost impossible to find a job so you can work off your restrictions. This is not fair and we all need to get together and do something about this. If there are others who agree then please email us at nursesinrecoverync@yahoo.com where we are compiling information to bring to LegalAid to have these programs relooked at for fairness. I have worked hard to rebuild my life and get well and being treated this way by my Board is extremely disappointing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DissappointedinRaleighRN in Raeford, North Carolina

39 months ago

queen_vic in San Antonio, Texas said: Money won't be a problem if you can find someone to hire you. Nurses make good money. The Board has nickle and dimed me to death!!!! Every case is different with the BON. Just be lucky to get a license, then be lucky to get a job. A lot of Faith and a lot of praying is all you can do. You can kill someone and nothing happens: but heaven forbid you do drugs!

AMEN! THE BOARD HAS MADE A FORTUNE OFF ME FOR THE PAST SIX YEARS. FINDING A JOB WITH THE RESTRICTIONS IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE AND NOW PITT, WAKE, AND DUKE ARE NOT HIRING NURSES WHO HAVE RESTRICTIONS ON THEIR LICENSE YET, THE BOARD WILL NOT EVEN SUGGEST A FACILITY TO TRY TO GET A JOB. IF THEY ARE SINCERE IN WANTING TO GET US BACK INTO SAFE PRACTICE THEN WHY NOT SET UP A PROGRAM WITH THE GOVERNMENT, HEALTH DEPTS., PRISONS, COUNTIES, WHERE WE COULD WORK OFF OUR RESTRICTION TIME IN THESE FACILITIES WHILE AT THE SAME TIME, THE STATE WOULD BE FILLING THEIR NEEDS FOR NURSES AND THEY COULD EVEN HAVE A BASE PAY RATE FOR THOSE WORKING UNDER RESTRICTIONS TO HELP WITH GOVERNMENT FUNDING OF THE PROGRAM? PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK, ANYONE, BY EMAILING US AT nursesinrecoverync@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.