Confused, questions about Registered Nursing!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

marianoh44 in Moreno Valley, California

62 months ago

Hi, I am considering a career in registered nursing.
I am a male 21 years old, living in Moreno Valley, CA.

Once I get my ADN is it hard to find a job since i wont have any experience in the medical field?

How do i choose what type of nurse i wanna be? like surgical, er, etc.... are these learned on the job, or do i have to take special classes according to what i wanna follow? can i apply to any by just being a registered nurse?

Thank you in advanced!!
also if you have an instant messenger please add me to workinghormiga@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

darabe09 in Appleton, Wisconsin

60 months ago

marianoh44 in Moreno Valley, California said: Hi, I am considering a career in registered nursing.
I am a male 21 years old, living in Moreno Valley, CA.

Once I get my ADN is it hard to find a job since i wont have any experience in the medical field?

How do i choose what type of nurse i wanna be? like surgical, er, etc.... are these learned on the job, or do i have to take special classes according to what i wanna follow? can i apply to any by just being a registered nurse?

Thank you in advanced!!
also if you have an instant messenger please add me to workinghormiga@hotmail.com

Hello,
My son became an RN like his mother, I too have my ADN but I STRONGLY encourage you to continue your education. Get your BSN and your MSN. They have part time programs that fit your work schedule. The younger you are the better, most colleges have financial aid programs and if you have a lower income you qualify for more aid. Colleges have endowment funds set up espically for nursing programs from prior graduates. My son currently has his masters degree in public health and nursing (two masters) and is going on to school for nurse anestisist program and believe me he was not that the idea of the good student in high school, we had our doubts he would graduate from college at one time. I tell my friends when they are having trouble with their teens, "You don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours" There is nothing like on the job training, a good start would be a medical/surgical floor because you get a mixture of all types of illness and populations. Unless you have a strong desire to go into emergency medicine or psych. Most hospitals have an extended period of orientation where you work with one assigned nurse who is responsible for your job training. Your book learning is just the beginning. Good luck to you, we do need more male nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john amantea in Farmville, Virginia

59 months ago

darabe09 in Appleton, Wisconsin said: Hello,
My son became an RN like his mother, I too have my ADN but I STRONGLY encourage you to continue your education. Get your BSN and your MSN. They have part time programs that fit your work schedule. The younger you are the better, most colleges have financial aid programs and if you have a lower income you qualify for more aid. Colleges have endowment funds set up espically for nursing programs from prior graduates. My son currently has his masters degree in public health and nursing (two masters) and is going on to school for nurse anestisist program and believe me he was not that the idea of the good student in high school, we had our doubts he would graduate from college at one time. I tell my friends when they are having trouble with their teens, "You don't love them because they're good, you love them because they're yours" There is nothing like on the job training, a good start would be a medical/surgical floor because you get a mixture of all types of illness and populations. Unless you have a strong desire to go into emergency medicine or psych. Most hospitals have an extended period of orientation where you work with one assigned nurse who is responsible for your job training. Your book learning is just the beginning. Good luck to you, we do need more male nurses.

I enjoyed reading your response. I'm in a career bind. Ex-Marine gone to school for physical therapist assistant and realize its a dead-end job. I hear a lot of negativity related the RN profession. I just want to know if its worth it; If I get a BSN; what can I do in regards to career advancement. I just wouldn't want to work on the floor till I retire because that sounds brutal. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

W in Plain City, Ohio

59 months ago

There's no job for RN these days. I've got a BSN degree and RN license with BLS certification. I am bilingual with 2 yrs experience in foreign country. I'm still jobless. But if you can get a job as an RN, with more experience you will be a supervisor RN and move up higher. You won't be on the floor until you retired, unless you want to. But of course, if you are not on the floor, you will be paid salary, which will be less than the people who can get overtime from being on the floor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OTORNURSE in Hollis, New York

59 months ago

W in Plain City, Ohio said: There's no job for RN these days. I've got a BSN degree and RN license with BLS certification. I am bilingual with 2 yrs experience in foreign country. I'm still jobless. But if you can get a job as an RN, with more experience you will be a supervisor RN and move up higher. You won't be on the floor until you retired, unless you want to. But of course, if you are not on the floor, you will be paid salary, which will be less than the people who can get overtime from being on the floor.

Doesn't this depend on geographic location and setting? I heard the hospitals aren't hiring much, but what about agencies and clinics? Have you tried applying there?Hows the job outlooj for visiting Nurse services?I know a few people that got hired right after graduation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

W in Plain City, Ohio

59 months ago

Clinics are much harder to get in than Hospitals. And Hospitals are almost impossible to get in without a connection. The only hope I have is privately own small business home health care. I've applied to Hospitals, Clinics, Nursing Home, Rehabs, and Home Healths. Basically I've applied to every single agency within 50 miles radius of where I live. 0 call so far. I'm in Columbus, Ohio BTW.

The recruiters did call though, just to tell me that my experience is in foreign country and it doesn't count. I told them that virus and bacteria do not speak English and I don't think human anatomy is different just because you live in different country. They didn't care. It's just all prejudice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

OTORNURSE in Hollis, New York said: Doesn't this depend on geographic location and setting? I heard the hospitals aren't hiring much, but what about agencies and clinics? Have you tried applying there?Hows the job outlooj for visiting Nurse services?I know a few people that got hired right after graduation.

Yes it does depends on geographic location and setting! im geting so tired of folks saying there no jobs for RN maybe not were you stay but they hiring like crazy everywere else...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

W in Plain City, Ohio

58 months ago

DOAM in Houston, Texas said: Yes it does depends on geographic location and setting! im geting so tired of folks saying there no jobs for RN maybe not were you stay but they hiring like crazy everywere else...

Then can you please be so kind and tell us, What geographic location and setting I can find RN jobs? If you can be specific, please tell the name of the hospitals or the health care facilities in that location that are hiring. I'm going to move there as soon as you give the answer.

I'm getting so tired of folks saying there are jobs for RN, but then they don't say where the jobs are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DOAM in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

W in Plain City, Ohio said: Then can you please be so kind and tell us, What geographic location and setting I can find RN jobs? If you can be specific, please tell the name of the hospitals or the health care facilities in that location that are hiring. I'm going to move there as soon as you give the answer.

I'm getting so tired of folks saying there are jobs for RN, but then they don't say where the jobs are.

Ask the same question on this site allnurses.com/ im sure you have have folks tell you whos hiring in what state and whos not. Since you are willing to move that a huge PLUS and if yo really want me to help you out give me your e-mail and i look for you too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TucsonKen in Tucson, Arizona

58 months ago

I'm considering going back to school to become a nurse (I have a BS in an unrelated field), but I'm a 54-year-old male and don't know if it would make sense at my age (I have at least a year of prereqs before I could even apply to nursing school). But, for those who are already through school and having trouble getting hired, you might try the federal employment site (www.usajobs.gov/firsttimevisitors.asp). I keep seeing new openings for nurses there, so that might be an option. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

FutureNurse in Saint Albans, New York

58 months ago

TucsonKen in Tucson, Arizona said: I'm considering going back to school to become a nurse (I have a BS in an unrelated field), but I'm a 54-year-old male and don't know if it would make sense at my age (I have at least a year of prereqs before I could even apply to nursing school). But, for those who are already through school and having trouble getting hired, you might try the federal employment site ( www.usajobs.gov/firsttimevisitors.asp ). I keep seeing new openings for nurses there, so that might be an option. Good luck!

Wow! This is such an inspiration.It is never too late for ANYTHING.I can't stress it enough;age is nothing but a number.If you are healthy,energized and determined,I dont see why this wouldn't make sense.Go for it! I saw people older than you in my classes before.The only time one should not pursue something or make goals is when they are impaired or not breathing! Much luck to you!! Wow! Good for you :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

imtiaz_hussain0772@yahoo.com in Hyderabad, India

29 months ago

Hai.. Everyone this is imtiaz hussain from india.... i have completed my G.N.M iam a male nurse .. i will be very glad if someone really helpme out because i wanna to work in united states of america, i will be very glad to u , plz let me know the process bcos iam very much aware and totally confused.. plz to all my dear friend and brothers... thanks a lot ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

svaughn3141 in Evansville, Indiana

27 months ago

what if you want to be a pediatric nurse? what do you do in general?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zowee Andercuk in Bay Area, California

27 months ago

john amantea in Farmville, Virginia said: I enjoyed reading your response. I'm in a career bind. Ex-Marine gone to school for physical therapist assistant and realize its a dead-end job. I hear a lot of negativity related the RN profession. I just want to know if its worth it; If I get a BSN; what can I do in regards to career advancement. I just wouldn't want to work on the floor till I retire because that sounds brutal. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Both my brother and a few of my friends have BSNs and have worked in the field quite a while. I saw how well off they were and basically I was struggling, and decided that I wanted what they had! The BSN holds many more options than just working the floor and with that a higher income. There are so many choices with this higher degree and through out my nursing career (even way back when I went for my VN) my instructors have been my mentors which is why I desperately wanted to teach; I want to reach new students how my instructors reached me and of course since our profession needs them. I’m a veteran too and was very happy to hear about the veterans benefits from Unitek College. Anything that can help take that tuition down to help me reach my goal is just priceless to me. I really wouldn’t pay mind to any negativity; everyone has their own opinion. Everyone I have talked to with the BSN loves what they do and if you love what you do, along with being able to qualify for higher positions what else is there to say? What it comes down to is what is in your heart, and what you think would be best for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas

26 months ago

I'll add a few words here. I am ex military, Panama invasion and Desert Storm. When I got out i tried to get into a police dept.(this was 1991-pre internet) in the Cleveland Ohio area. At 3 depts. I was passed over because of "affirmitive action quota's" which were written in letters and i still retain. So i went with the punches and went to school. I have no idea how i made it to the nursing school but I did.
I just want to say: if you decide to go into nursing look at the badside of it. MAINLY, female nurses, especially the grannies, hate men in nursing and do everything they can to stab you in the back. But, after i showed that I fight back it's better. Women do not help men w/pt moving but expect us to always help them.
And you will work 12hr nights, every other weekend and holiday.
It is true.....the grannie nurses eat the young. And mgmt is usually blind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.