DUI and California RN licensure

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

missnursingstudent2u in Bakersfield, California

62 months ago

I keep getting mixed opinions about what happens with a DUI and getting to become an RN in california. I received a DUI about 3 years ago and am half way done with nursing school and am worried sick over whether I'll be able to take the boards and become a nurse. I got my probation dropped, but have not expunged my record (I don't know if i even can). I went to the BRN website but I just wanted to see if anyone has been in the same predictament as me and see if they actually are a nurse now. Any comments/opinions would be great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (158) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

missnursingstudent2u in Bakersfield, California

54 months ago

Well thank you, but I actually am going to be just fine. I take my boards next week, but thanks for being so positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

genienabottlegenienabottle in Oakland california, California

53 months ago

I mean i only have one dui and now that i am in nursing school, i am wondering if i should reconsider continuing on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aznurse69 in Phoenix, Arizona

52 months ago

missnursingstudent2U, you will be able to take the boards and you will be able to apply for and receive a license in the state of California. Your question can be answered honestly and truthfully on the california state board of nursing's website. According to the state board website, the process for applicants with prior criminal history will be longer and more drawn out. In my opinion, not that it matters, is that what's important is that you learn from your mistake and never do it again. Don't let the bitter comments of others drag you down. Often times those people end up finding themselves in a mess. From what I've heard, it would be in your best interest to take AA classes and MAADD classes to show that you've learned your lesson and that you truly are remorseful for what you've done. I hope you find this comment useful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nurzkat in Austin, Texas

48 months ago

MissNursing student,

I know this great Nurse Legal Consultant whom has experience in this area as well as the administrative process and she is not as expensive as an attorney.
She has guided several of us Nurse's in this predictament.
Her Business is KAA LegalNurse ,Coach and Consultant- e-mail addresss is KathyArredondo880@msn.com, she is in Fresno CA, not far from you. Good-Luck! and God Bless-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

nursesrule in Fresno, California

48 months ago

Yea!! KAA Legal Nurse Consultant and Coaching,, she is compassionate and has lots of knowledge//her e-mail is KathyArredondo880@msn.com// Hang in there and remember nothing is forever- except Taxes and Death!lol,lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

NursesRule in Fresno, California said: Yea!! KAA Legal Nurse Consultant and Coaching,, she is compassionate and has lots of knowledge//her e-mail is KathyArredondo880@msn.com// Hang in there and remember nothing is forever- except Taxes and Death!lol,lol

Recently KAA Legal Nurse Consultant and Coach 's web-email site was hacked//new address is kkalegalnurse@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

thelivingtruth in Anaheim, California said: I am sorry to inform you that you will be out of luck at the end of your nursing program. The state will deny your application and you will not be able to take the state exam.

So not true!! contact kaalegalnurse@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Nurzkat in Austin, Texas said: MissNursing student,

I know this great Nurse Legal Consultant whom has experience in this area as well as the administrative process and she is not as expensive as an attorney .
She has guided several of us Nurse's in this predictament.
Her Business is KAA LegalNurse ,Coach and Consultant- e-mail addresss is KathyArredondo880@msn.com, she is in Fresno CA, not far from you. Good-Luck! and God Bless-

Just spoke with my friend-Ms. Arredondo//new e-mail,kaalegalnurse@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mardi in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

Genienabottle genienabottle in Oakland california, California said: I mean i only have one dui and now that i am in nursing school, i am wondering if i should reconsider continuing on...

Don't reconsider if this is your calling. You will get your state license, that is not a problem, you only have to go in front of the boards and explain what you did and you have to be sincere. I have not gone through the boards yet, but I'm looking to go to LVN school with an open mind and know that God will get me through this and allow me to do what I've always wanted to do. Please keep your head up. The boards are the last people you should worry about, its the potential employers where you have to sell yourself on why they should accept you as their nurse regardless of your previous episode with drinking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bobo in Simi Valley, California

38 months ago

NursesRule in Fresno, California said: Recently KAA Legal Nurse Consultant and Coach 's web-email site was hacked//new address is kkalegalnurse@gmail.com

Hi am wanting to get in contact with Ms. Arredondo and have tried both email address but neither work can someone give me any other contact info. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Hi BoBo: You can reach Ms. Arredondo at this e-mail KAALegalNurse@gmail.com// she is reasonable and will guide you, and give you peace of mind. Goodluck-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dasroight in Canoga Park, California

30 months ago

You can get you DUI expunged so that your conviction is dismissed in the interest of justice. Check this resource for more information: www.mironerlaw.com/expungement-nurse.php

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

anony in Malvern, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

I'm confused...

If you have to go thru a full background check, I had FBI, State records, Child and Elder Abuse Clearances to even GET accepted into nursing school, how did you even get in/ finish and then be denied a license (assuming no further incidents?) I'm not blaming/shaming you...just really confused. But then I know of 2 nurses that had 2 DUIs, though more than 10 years in the past and made it? They were the best students and now great nurses! Alcohol abuse isn't funny but people make mistakes. What concerns me now is hospitals screening employees for tobacco use, meanwhile over-looking blatant abuse of prescription drugs. My God. We *all* know someone on the floor--Nurse or Physician-- that fits that bill--let's be real.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.