Decisions decisions....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana

20 months ago

So I'm having an extremely hard time deciding on what I want to do with my life. Medical filed has always interested me, and that is what I'm shooting for. I've been in school now 3 years, taking mainly general courses and courses for different programs(changed my major a few times). Anyway, I was accepted in a Respiratory Therapy program at a private college near me. It starts in January, however everything I read is that it is tough to get a job, and don't want to be stuck without a job especially after the 25k I'd have to take out in student loans for an ASN. Well last year I had applied for the RN program at my CC(a great program btw), and missed the gpa cutoff barely(3.38). I have been teetering between the RT or going back to LSU and getting my bachelors in something non healthcare related. Well today I thought, maybe I should go back to the CC, take a couple classes to get my core GPA back up, along with classes that would go toward my bachelors in case I don't get in again, and reapply. I know that RN jobs are especially easier to come by, make more money than RT, and being a guy feel like I would have a much better shot. The RN program would end one semester after RT ends, and about one or two semesters before I would finish my bachelors. I would also spend significantly less on getting my RN. So my question to you all is, is it more worth it for my to go back to CC and become an RN, or go ahead and start the RT program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

smitty192 in Baker, Louisiana

20 months ago

Also meant to note that the bachelors I would go after would be a business finance degree if I decide to just finish my BS up

Darwin Moore in New Britain, New York

20 months ago

Finish your BS and then think to do other things this will be good for you.

MSG in Salinas, California

17 months ago

My wife is an RT, and I know all the challenges of being one vs. being a nurse. RN's do make more money, but it's negligible. And, when you consider the amount of stress and work you are doing, it doesn't make sense. You will be doing twice the work load but get maybe 10-15% more pay. However, as an RN, you will have much more vertical and lateral oppty's. That's a fact. There also may be more jobs, but remember, there are WAY more nurses too.

Right now, my feeling is there are equal RT and RN jobs out there when you consider the market supply. My wife was a supervisor, and she said there weren't a whole lot of applicants for their jobs. She also said you CAN get RT jobs even nowadays, but YOU MUST BE WILLING TO MOVE. As long as you move, you will have no problems. It's not as bad as RN where they require at least 1 year experience nowadays for any job.

Finally, just read all the threads about new grad RN's having a hard time finding jobs. It's a tough job market out there for health care. My wife has been saying this too. The conditions have stiffened up drastically. I remember back in the early 90's, nurses faced similar job market conditions as well. I remember several older nurses at my school tell me that it was not a good time to go into the profession. Anyways, I'm just telling you this in case you decide on going into nursing with the expectation of having a job when you're done. It might not turn out that way. Just read the other threads.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.