Hygiene vs. Nursing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 107 of 107)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Teila K. Day in Richmond, Indiana

17 months ago

Amy311 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: You can't be a NP without your RN license...so you can't just go into the NP program with any bachelors. There are some NP programs that will let you in with another bachelors other than BSN but you have to at least have an Associates RN.

That information is incorrect. There are Graduate programs that allow entry if you already have an undergraduate degree (in anything). Many simply require "bridge" coursework and at the end of your program, you take the NCLEX.

Like another poster mentions, I am amazed at the amount of bad information here when all people have to do is conduct a simple search for various schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Teila K. Day in Richmond, Indiana

17 months ago

Annie in Shirley, New York said: Thank you for the information it was very helpful. I was interested in becoming a Nurse anesthetist but everyone keeps telling me that any kind of nursing position is horrible.

There are basically two tracks to becoming an anesthetist. (1) being a cerified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) or (2) being a Anesthesia Assistant (AA).

Both do the same work, but the nurse can practice in more states (which is just dumb politics going on there with that). Typically a RN is required to have at a minimum 1 year (usually more) of critical care experience before applying to CRNA school. The CRNA can work in a bit more autonomous setting compared to the AA; basically it's a non issue.

the AA program has nothing to do with nursing, and is generally a two year graduate degree program. The upside is that you bypass all the BS associated with floor nursing and being treated like a "nurse".
You do the prereqs, get admitted to AA school, pay $80k tuition; end of story.

The military uses CRNAs not AAs. Someone should sue. :)

Go for it. If you like the idea of patient care but want more of a medical vs. nursing job, then do what you have to do to become a CRNA... Who knows, you might fall in love with traditional nursing along the way however unlikely if you're set on anesthesia. ;)

If you want a two year graduate program and something more medical-like, without having to be a nurse, look at the AA option, AND also Physician Assistant (I'd opt for nurse practitioner over PA), or Pathology Assistant if you're into autopsies and grossing.

Shrug off the naysayers.

Wishing you the best- go get'm tiger!

jamie benjamin in Holly Springs, North Carolina

15 months ago

Rachel Star in Long Beach, California said: Well lets take a look at both jobs. I was told by someone in my prerequisite classes( that is going into RN) that I have a nurses brain and that if I went into Hyg. I would be making less money and get carpal tunnel.
I am afraid of working with sick and elderly patients. Maybe babies or mental patients, but teeth and periodontal disease just are not scary to me. I want to get the world to floss.

I have been doing research and from what I see a Hyg make more money than a RN. I am enrolled in school and my heart is for Hyg but then again I am confuse about which one to go for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chloe in Ottawa, Ontario

13 months ago

nurse in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania said: dental hyg.is harder .....
Have a friend that did dental first and then went for rn and said rn easier ..plus nurses make more !

In canada, DH's make a lot more than RN's and the hours are much better. Working 12 hours shifts til you're 53 doesn't sound all that great to me. Good luck raising a family with those hours.

From experience and word of mouth, I hear dental hygiene is FAR harder than becoming a registered nurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chloe in Ottawa, Ontario

13 months ago

jamie benjamin in Holly Springs, North Carolina said: I have been doing research and from what I see a Hyg make more money than a RN. I am enrolled in school and my heart is for Hyg but then again I am confuse about which one to go for.

Follow your heart! Go for DH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Babyjogger in Colorado Springs, Colorado

8 months ago

Hi, I have been a nurse for 5 years. I am really disapointed in myself because my heart is not in nursing and the thought of being a nurse for the resf of my life is not good. I really want to become a hygienist. Dental hygiene or assisting we're what I wanted to do originally, however due to finances and no near by schools I went to nursing school instead. I know that sounds bad but I had to support my kids. I have been in contact with a few hygiene schools as well as assistant programs. I feel like assisting may be my best bet. I am not sure how I can afford to not work for two years. I am fascinated by dentistry and would be willing to take a pay cut to be happy again. I have a few questions for any DH or DA out there. I don't have perfect or even near perfect teeth, but I do have restorations that look pretty nice. Also I have slight tremor that is noticeable when I am nervous or exhausted. Would either of these issues be a major road block to a dental career. Any advise would be great. Thank you :)

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

8 months ago

Re: tremor, it depends how it would affect what you had to do as DH/DA. I leave it to other DA's to answer.

In general, my advise is: do what you really wish to do.
I got a job in a field/specialty that I have a real desire to succeed in.
It's not just a job but something I am predisposed to and wanted to do a lot.
As a result, I don't feel tired after work, I don't feel like I am going to hell in the morning when I go to work, and, despite extraordinary large volume of tasks I must get myself familiarized with I do not feel at a loss.
But most importantly: this is the field I wanted to be in.
Do not go for a specialty just because it pays. If you hate doing it you will be cursing yourself to a life sentence.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.