If I was terrible at multi tasking as a waitress, would nursing be for me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

chefcookie1 in Torrance, California

64 months ago

Currently, I'm taking prerequisites to get into our colleges RN program. I have always wanted to be a nurse and luckily I managed a medical spa and was able to talk to many RNs about all the questions that kept me from pursing this career. I have done a lot of research on the field and feel like it is a good fit for me. I got my phlebotomy certification and love it. Then I read a horrible story on a blog about how nurses (particularly one from Michigan without patient ratios) are constantly multi tasking, over worked, stressed, and unable to actually give good care because of the shortage. I was a terrible waitress because I couldn't manage several tables immediate demands in a timely manner. I suppose I'm better at focusing on a few things at a time. Is this a good indication that nursing might not be for me? I am planning on volunteering in my local hospital and perhaps becoming a CNA to see nurses in action.
21 seconds ago - 4 days left to answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cj in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

chefcookie1 in Torrance, California said: Currently, I'm taking prerequisites to get into our colleges RN program. I have always wanted to be a nurse and luckily I managed a medical spa and was able to talk to many RNs about all the questions that kept me from pursing this career. I have done a lot of research on the field and feel like it is a good fit for me. I got my phlebotomy certification and love it. Then I read a horrible story on a blog about how nurses (particularly one from Michigan without patient ratios) are constantly multi tasking, over worked, stressed, and unable to actually give good care because of the shortage. I was a terrible waitress because I couldn't manage several tables immediate demands in a timely manner. I suppose I'm better at focusing on a few things at a time. Is this a good indication that nursing might not be for me? I am planning on volunteering in my local hospital and perhaps becoming a CNA to see nurses in action.
21 seconds ago - 4 days left to answer.

No! If you can't multi task tables you certainly don't want to responsible for people with medical needs. Nursing is all multi tasking to say the least. Maybe sales? That might be something you would like to do with people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

chefcookie1 in Torrance, California

63 months ago

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. On one message board, a RN told me that there is so much variety in nursing and that I need to keep in mind my strengths and weaknesses when looking for work. He said that there are some nursing positions that require specialized concentration on just a few things. Also I was told that hospitals aren't the only places where nurses work. What about weight loss clinics, research nursing or other medical facilities that don't deal as much with bedside care? Are these possibilities for me? I've been trying to get out of sales forever. Would love more of your input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

statrn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

chefcookie1 in Torrance, California said: Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. On one message board, a RN told me that there is so much variety in nursing and that I need to keep in mind my strengths and weaknesses when looking for work. He said that there are some nursing positions that require specialized concentration on just a few things. Also I was told that hospitals aren't the only places where nurses work. What about weight loss clinics, research nursing or other medical facilities that don't deal as much with bedside care? Are these possibilities for me? I've been trying to get out of sales forever. Would love more of your input.

I think you can definitely find something that fits you as a nurse. I too am not particularly good at multitasking, but I thrived as a labor and delivery nurse and even worked myself up to being in charge of a 32 bed unit and my peers gave me glowing reviews. Labor was a specialized area and although it was busy, you only had one pt at a time in active labor. I switched to the ER a year ago just to spread my wings and I am struggling with the pace, but it gets easier the longer I am there - good luck whatever you decide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.