Jobless RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Donia910@gmail.com in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

61 months ago

I have 23 years as an RN. I cannot find a job anywhere near Orlando, Melbourne,or Ormond.
I have worked as a Hospice nurse, cardiovascular stepdown, I place PICC lines & still cannot
find work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

My sister got fired from a nursing home in Spring Hill. (She was there six years - has been a nurse for 16 years.)

I got her started on the Internet Job Search and did several application for her on a Saturday. On Monday she already started receiving calls. By the next Monday she had another job.

You might try Spring Hill, Port Richey, New Port Richey.
The nursing care facilities - and the jails - are always looking. You also might the the school system.

Start your job search on the Internet, get your resume on there.

My sister's situation was only last month - and she is 56.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donia910@gmail.com in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

61 months ago

Thank you for the kind words ? But I have to stay near Edgewater , FL my dad is 84 & I have to stay near.

bellynurse in Worcester, Massachusetts

61 months ago

I hear ya. I don't have as far much experience as you do, but I have been a nurse for 4 years. Did travel, came back to my hometown to have a baby, started looking, and well nothing. I am going to work for a temporary agency doing Admin work until something comes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Donia910@gmail.com in Stuart, Florida

61 months ago

Thank you everyone, I have put my resume on CareerBuilders and WOW I have had many credible jobs to follow up on next week. I am so Impressed! I was afraid to put my resume "out there" into cyberspace & I am happy now with jobs to follow up on . It's great to have choices & yes be needed again!
Soon to be " not jobless nurse" . Thx for the support !

Diane in Palm City, Florida

61 months ago

Stuart/Palm City/ Jensen Beach are 2 hours south down 95 all are good small communities, lots of older folks, assisted living places and companion care companies. One older friend at Emeritus Living in Jensen Beach hired a companion and is paying $14.00 and hour, a geriatric care manager who is independent and available for hire charges $90 per 1 1/2 hours of time and will bill in 6 minute increments. Just ideas.

New to FL in Altamonte Springs, Florida

61 months ago

Donia910@gmail.com,

I am new to the area and want to get into new areas and it is tough, because employers already want someone with experience. I have seen many ads calling for the skills you mention on the career site you mention and the other big board site. The one that starts with "H" I have not found to be useful, just loaded with "business opportunities" and it is a shame because it used to be the #1 and #2 career site in the 1990s. I have found there are good opportunities, but often they are far from where I am, and while a place may be a short distance on the map, once you get on the road it seems like it takes forever to get there. Just what I am not used to as far as getting from point A to B.
(message is too long...I will continue...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

(continued)

One note of caution, you are safer if you anonymize your resume. Meaning put your initials instead of real name and don't list your telephone number. Don't list actual names of employers. I think in terms of "Wheel of Fortune." For example, list an employer as a "major trauma center" in "South Florida." For my degree, associates in nursing at a "community college in central Florida." At the bottom of the resume, you can always leave a note: Complete resume with contact information will be forwarded to direct employers with corporate e-mail and web addresses. I add these suggestions, because anyone that has paid to access your resume can lift it and add it to another resume database or abuse it. Everyone that pays and contacts you will not have nursing opportunities to offer you. You will get people whom will contact you about opportunities your are totally unqualified for, but will ask YOU to recruit for them.

You will be contacted by "employers" offering "business opportunities" or want you to pay a fee for "employment." This is my experience with the site you mentioned, but I have landed interviews and am on the track to a position. Overall, with THAT site you mentioned, my experience has been positive. Just guard your personal information.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

New to Florida - when you are looking for jobs, go to MSN, go to Maps, then to Directions. Put in your city and then where the job is located. That will tell you the miles and how long the drive should be.

61 months ago

Thanks Mary,

I was trying a couple of other distance locators/calculators and find there are discrepancies in some. A highway here with the lights can add much time. For couple of places I used a map that gave me directions where about 6-8 miles was on a route with many traffic lights. After rush hour, it took almost a half hour just to make it through those miles. But I am sure once I get used to the roads I will find shorter routes. I like Tampa and everything job-wise I have interest in is on that side of the state--thus far. Would eventually want to move closer. For now, I am stuck near the Orlando area. Just will keep my fingers crossed and say many prayers. Thanks again.

phnavyafgh in Apo

60 months ago

Donia910@gmail.com in New Smyrna Beach, Florida said: I have 23 years as an RN. I cannot find a job anywhere near Orlando, Melbourne,or Ormond.
I have worked as a Hospice nurse, cardiovascular stepdown, I place PICC lines & still cannot
find work.

Duke Medical Center. @ 540 PICC lines per month. North Carolina.

lolat926 in Salem, Oregon

58 months ago

Donia910@gmail.com in New Smyrna Beach, Florida said: I have 23 years as an RN. I cannot find a job anywhere near Orlando, Melbourne,or Ormond.
find work.

I have been an RN for almost 6 years, and cannot find work as an RN either. I never was able to get hired in a hospital when I first got out of school, so accepted a position working for Hospice. I have a clean record, am "older", and I think that is the reason I am not getting hired, And I do believe that there is NO NURSING shortage like the everybody thinks there is. Check out Craigslist anywhere in the United States and look under "medical" under jobs, and you will not find very many positions for RN's. I am going to volunteer my services as an RN just to keep up my skills, and continue looking for work doing somethng else, What else can I do?'I am too young for Social Security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunney

57 months ago

I cannot belive that you are having a hard time finding work go to drs offices or try taking a course in to get you into a differant area of nursing even try the nursing homes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lolat926 in Salem, Oregon

57 months ago

I have worked in nusing homes too, There are not a lot of them in the area where I live now, so I am planning on moving to a large city. I have two RN friends and one LPN, who are going through the same thing as me, ( and they all have more than 20 years experience in many areas of nursing, including hospital experience and cannot get hired. My one RN friend is finally going to accept a job as a Care Giver. Eventually, you know your money just runs out trying to pay for rent and all.

Donia910@gmail.com

57 months ago

I now have acquired 3 jobs! I place PICCi
lines & midlines for a company, parttime. I work
for an Agency parttme. Tomorrow I start orientation
at a hospital where I can get back to what I love,
taking care of heartbypass patients. I really tried to
get a job at one of the Hospices, but no go. So
onward and upward which is the call of Jesus Christ !
Thank you all for caring & for your great suggestions.
Donia910

lolat926 in Vancouver, Washington

57 months ago

I am so happy for you, that sounds great. I wish all the RN's looking for work good luck in this New Year. I know I will find a job eventually, I am not giving up.

picnurse in Plainfield, Illinois

57 months ago

find work.

I sympathize I have been a RN for 19 years putting in PICC's for 15 before ICU background - no one will hire me (no PICC jobs less that 60 miles away) because of no recent clinical experience - HELLO! Been a nurse for 19 years!!!!!!!

benitarae in Minneapolis, Minnesota

52 months ago

I have been a nurse for 18 years, 2 years nursing home and 2 years in a clinic can really be counted and I was fired from the clinic job 1 year ago for neglecting to document the nursing note from a verbal order (I ordered the correct med from the pharmacy and informed the patient) but got busy and forgot to document. I do accept responsibility for my error. I have been brief but honest in my interviews regarding "Why did you leave your last job" but am not getting the jobs-after 1 year. I considered going back to school but by the time I get out I will be 61. I wonder if it would be better to obtain a different state license and relocate. Any sudgestions would be ever so much appreciated.

crazynurs24 in Springboro, Ohio

51 months ago

i am being monitored by the ohio board with a restriction for the past 2 years and cannot find a job. i cannot even get up to bat. the thing is that no matter what i did, it did not change my excellent iv skills or people or assessment skills, or take away my med surg knowledge. i don' know what to do or how to go about continuing my job search does anybody have any advice????

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.