ARE NURSES REALLY STRESSED OUT?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

rhonda in Detroit, Michigan

31 months ago

I recently went to a nursing home to visit someone. And the RNs didn't look stressed out at all. They were all calm passing meds looking relatively happy. What is up with all this talk that they are so stressed out and its such a demanding job? It didn't look demanding to me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura RN in Burton, Michigan

30 months ago

Rhonda,
Nursing Home Patients Are Stable!!!! Its like going to visit Grandma to give her pills. When they become unstable then they come to us at the hospital where we are expected to be at the bedside of 5-6 patients, talking to their doctors, families, ect.

It is the hospitals that the nurses are stressed and over worked. More patients are added to a daily load so less time to be spent per patient. The computer charting has become so lengthy, you can count on 30 minutes minimum per pt for the morning charting alone. That doesn't count the charting of what was done by the nurse through out the day.
There are more and more doctors coming to see each patient with consults, the Residents and Interns and attending. Each one has to have the same questions answered. Call lights, pain meds, daily meds, walking, toileting, turning every 2 hours, pulling up in bed. Fielding patient family calls or in person questions.
I currently work in a hospital and have for 17 years. I am now online looking for a home care job. Hospitals are not safe for the patients or the Nurse's license. Please fight to help the sick...Nurse to Patient Ratios...do some research. We are here to save your families life! Give us a chance to be at the bedside.

Thank you Rhonda...Again it is Nurse to Patient Ratio
Laura RN
Acute Care Nurse 12 hours
3a-7a I have 6 patients
7a-3p I have 5 patients
Our hospital eliminated LPN's so no licensed help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.