New Graduate Nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 2200)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Lisa in Temecula, California

64 months ago

Colleen in San Diego, California said: I lost my husband back in 2004. After two years of gathering my thoughts, and praying about how to best support myself, I went back to college. I graduated in February, 2009, and passed the NCLEX-RN exam in early April. I finished at the top of my class, and thought I would begin a life; able to support myself and start over. I have been applying like crazy with absolutely no luck. I am an ADN, and know I would be competing with BSN's, but never thought it would be impossible to find a nursing job! I live in San Diego...there are many positions posted...I just don't qualify for any of them. I'm off to stock up on resume' paper and ink. I am an older graduate...and long for the days when you could actually meet face to face with a real person, and make that all important first impression. I'm on the brink of losing everything. I'll have to defer my student loans, as I cannot even keep up with the bills I already have. So much for the American Dream!

I am right there with you. I graduated May 2009 with ADN-RN. I have submitted 40+ applications with 4 interviews and no job offers. Depressing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dbrlaclair in Perris, California

64 months ago

I have written to KTLA in Los Angeles hoping to get them to do a news story on this situation of new graduates not being able to find jobs, and more new grads coming out in December. The hospitals have the jobs, they just dont want new grads...but they wine you and dine you while your in school!! Doesnt make sense to me!! If they are desparate then they need to open up the positions to new grads, I realize I dont have experience as a licensed nurse, but its not like I dont have experience at all...what about all those clinical hours we did, and I worked as a CNA on a cardiac telemetry unit for 3 years while in school, WHAT? THAT DONT COUNT?? Nursing is a team effort, and anybody that has passed the NCLEX should know that...you dont do or give anything you are unsure about without either looking it up or asking for help with a fellow nurse, and this is exactly what the experienced nurses do as well!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Lisa in Temecula, California said: I am right there with you. I graduated May 2009 with ADN-RN. I have submitted 40+ applications with 4 interviews and no job offers. Depressing!

Well Lisa, at least your getting interviews so many of us arent even getting that!

April RN in El Dorado Hills, California

64 months ago

Lisa in Temecula, California said: I am right there with you. I graduated May 2009 with ADN-RN. I have submitted 40+ applications with 4 interviews and no job offers. Depressing!

It will pay off. It took me 300+ apps and 9 interviews, and finally got a job offer at an acute care hospital. Perseverance pays off. Good luck

LANI in Candler, North Carolina

64 months ago

nursing is a cut throat job, just ask your clinical instructors!!!!!! wonder why they took such a huge paycut with a masters degree?????????? i wish i could retire but have 10 more years, and yes they wont hire you but part of it is that you new graduates are all green!!!!!! nursing is about $$$$$$$ and it costs more to train you than an experienced nurse plain and simple!!!!!!!just remember to not get desperate and work at a place and jeoparadize you license that you worked so hard to get!!!!!! the sooner you face the realities of nursing the better you can adjust!!!!! the burnout rate is incredible. go have a talk with a instructor that you trust!!!!!! ask for the truth!!!! the baby boomers should be retiring here in a few years so just hang on unless the new health care legislation is passed then you will see a mad exodus out of the medical field. imagine doctors getting paycuts!!!!! guess what will happen to nurses salaries????? god bless lani, proud R.N.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dbrlaclair in Chino, California

64 months ago

LANI in Candler, North Carolina said: nursing is a cut throat job, just ask your clinical instructors!!!!!! wonder why they took such a huge paycut with a masters degree?????????? i wish i could retire but have 10 more years, and yes they wont hire you but part of it is that you new graduates are all green!!!!!! nursing is about $$$$$$$ and it costs more to train you than an experienced nurse plain and simple!!!!!!!just remember to not get desperate and work at a place and jeoparadize you license that you worked so hard to get!!!!!! the sooner you face the realities of nursing the better you can adjust!!!!! the burnout rate is incredible. go have a talk with a instructor that you trust!!!!!! ask for the truth!!!! the baby boomers should be retiring here in a few years so just hang on unless the new health care legislation is passed then you will see a mad exodus out of the medical field. imagine doctors getting paycuts!!!!! guess what will happen to nurses salaries????? god bless lani, proud R.N.

We do understand what you are saying lani, but YOU were inexperienced at one time yourself...every nurse out there had to start somewhere. I think we are all just really pissed off that we were mislead by schools and hospitals that wined us and dined us when we were in school only to find out that in the real world they dont want to train us as they have the millions of others before us. It isnt fair, no matter how you want to look at it, I worked just as hard for my nursing degree as many of you "experienced" nurses. I remember as a student going into the hospital for clinicals, the nurses loved it, they sat on their asses while we did all the work, but WE HAVE NO EXPERIENCE!!! I just wish I had known this a few years ago, maybe I coulda become an accountant or something....no, the truth is I want to help the sick, I trained to help the sick, but NOW I cant help the sick!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

and your comments were not slanderous to all new graduates?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

maybe i should report you???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

64 months ago

dbrlaclair in Perris, California said: maybe i should report you???

dbrlaclair,

Keep copies of "LANI's" posts if the BRN even contacts you.

I doubt you will hear from them because this forum has nothing to do with how you have provided care to your patients or if you have committed a crime. The BRN is interested in those things not, how you should respond in a forum.

If "LANI" doesn't like what he/she is reading then he/she should stop lurking in this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Thank you RN in Modesto, I know I have done nothing wrong but I do have copies and the ones she made about the black people and obama too. But its nice to know I have people on my side and it did help me....GOD bless you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

dbrlaclair,

Here's what the BRN says regarding complaints:

" The Board can only investigate complaints that, if found to be valid, are violations of the Nursing Practice Act or the regulations that have been adopted by the Board"

I don't think you violated the Nurse Practice Act or the regulations.

64 months ago

lolololol!! yea I know and thank you again!

64 months ago

dbrlaclair in Perris, California said: Thank you RN in Modesto, I know I have done nothing wrong but I do have copies and the ones she made about the black people and obama too. But its nice to know I have people on my side and it did help me....GOD bless you!!

You absolutely have people on your side. We all need to contact our congressmen and senators to inform them of the unfairness of the current situation. They need to know that the "nursing shortage" is not a reality. They also need to know that by continuing to allow the recruitment of foreign nurses, many of our own American nurses are unable to find work.

64 months ago

I am just wondering if it was illegal for her to post my License number on this public website, that should be confidential information for the use of employers not someone in a "NEW GRADUATE FORUM" site.

windizblowing in Grand Island, New York

64 months ago

um ok well anyways... lol it is funny. you go to rad tech's forums and most people suggest going to school for nursing. im hoping in the next 2 years when i graduate the economy will be better but if not well i guess we're in this together. and it seems that more men are in x-rays anyway. ;) but no seriously i dont do good with women who gossip. it always seems to catch me in the middle and bite my @$$.

64 months ago

Well Jennifer congratulations to you! But as for your comments about me and my "problems" I was only defending the new nurse graduates in this forum from an experienced nurse who was putting us down, it didnt matter to me what nationality she was... but if you have kept up with her comments you would have seen the ones she posted about black people and minorities on here. I too have worked with foreign nurses as well, and for the most part some of them have been and continue to be great friends, but they dont have the attitude of this one imparticular. I will not continue to divulge my personal life on here to reply to your comment about my living with my mommy...its quite frankly no one's business and that is not why I am in this forum, and with all the negativity in this forum quite frankly i dont think i want to be a part of it anymore....careful new grads....those experienced nurse are out to eat us...as has been quoted in this forum so many times...just repeating what i have read in here!

windizblowing in Grand Island, New York

64 months ago

i agree. i want to temporarily move to other countries without critism like that. alot of americans travel to other countries for work. am i wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karla in Spring Valley, California

64 months ago

jennifer r n in San Diego, California said: Wow!!!!!!I am a new graduate (dec class)and they are hiring at my hospital!!!! You must have some experience in medical surgical and/or ob/gyn to get your foot in the door.(GET A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FROM YOUR OB/GYN OR MEDSURGE INSTRUCTOR) EMAIL ME AND I WILL HAVE MORE INFO) oh and Debra it sounds like you have a lot more problems than picking on some foreign nurse who deserves a job as much as you do!! i work with a lot of philipano nurses here at xxxxxxxxx hospital. you had failed boards twice and are living with your mom so i dont think you have any room to speak!!!BTW, I was oriented by a foeeign nurse and they have been a big help to me !!! She had to leave her family back home to make a better life for herself!!!! At least you have mommy to take care of you! and your license number is available under the freedom of infomation act so it is public knowledge. too bad you will not be able to use your license!!! you seriously need to change your attitude. good luck to the other nurses here tho!!! email me for that contact info. take care, jennifer

What is your email address?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

dbrlaclair in Perris, California said: I am just wondering if it was illegal for her to post my License number on this public website, that should be confidential information for the use of employers not someone in a "NEW GRADUATE FORUM" site.

dbrlaclair,
It was unethical for her to rant and rave and post your license.

64 months ago

I just searched South Carolina BRN site for Debra's name --She is not listed under disciplinary action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

newgradrn in Cortlandt Manor, New York

64 months ago

at one point, "lani" seemed somewhat helpful and kind with our new grad situation. now she is quite mean spirited, prejudiced and is constantly contradictory? that is not a good quality for an rn.
not to mention, this forum is for new grad rns, she is an experienced rn leaving unkind posts for us. if there are experienced rns on this forum, they should leave helpful advise, not ill wishes and name calling?
it is easy to throw blame at others when one is feeling insecure.
"lani" , i am sorry about your situation. i am going to pray for you, that find peace with yourself, that you find peace from the anger you have with others who may be different from you (minorities, new graduate rns, americans, etc..), and, that you no longer take your bitterness with nursing, or your life, out on us new graduates or anyone for that matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

ps. i think "lani" is also going my the name "lillian" now?...

64 months ago

lisa2009, i am not sure who are you are responding to? i suspect that this is "lani"/"lillian" who has found another alter ego?
just to let you know i am proud and respectful of all rns.
i am in fact, a 1st generation american. both my parents are foreign, and i have family members who are amazing foreign nurses. we respect americans, as do i. you sound like you have your own issues/prejudices (posting rn lic #s and referring to inner city schools in a derogatory manner).
the sweat and tears of americans of every nationality and race created a country that offers opportunity for all.

Joannava in Oceanside, California

64 months ago

jennifer r n in San Diego, California said: Wow!!!!!!I am a new graduate (dec class)and they are hiring at my hospital!!!! You must have some experience in medical surgical and/or ob/gyn to get your foot in the door.(GET A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FROM YOUR OB/GYN OR MEDSURGE INSTRUCTOR) EMAIL ME AND I WILL HAVE MORE INFO) oh and Debra it sounds like you have a lot more problems than picking on some foreign nurse who deserves a job as much as you do!! i work with a lot of philipano nurses here at xxxxxxxxx hospital. you had failed boards twice and are living with your mom so i dont think you have any room to speak!!!BTW, I was oriented by a foeeign nurse and they have been a big help to me !!! She had to leave her family back home to make a better life for herself!!!! At least you have mommy to take care of you! and your license number is available under the freedom of infomation act so it is public knowledge. too bad you will not be able to use your license!!! you seriously need to change your attitude. good luck to the other nurses here tho!!! email me for that contact info. take care, jennifer

Hi Jennifer, could I get your contact information? Thanks!

Brenda in Queen Creek, Arizona

64 months ago

Teresa From Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I graduated in December and passed the NCLEX in February. Thought for sure that I would be able to get employment. It's been alsmost four months and can't find a job. Is it going to open up soon for new hires?

Oh my goodness!!! If you are all having trouble finding jobs I don't know what I'm going to do. I just graduated last week and am still waiting to hear back regarding my NCLEX test date.I started job hunting two weeks ago and nothing. Now my husband might loose his job at the end of sept and i don't know what we are going to do!!! I feel so helpless....

Brenda in Queen Creek, Arizona

64 months ago

EmilyLucille523 in Mount Pleasant, Iowa said: I'm a bilingual New Grad RN, graduated from the ADN program in May 2009. I started looking for work in March in 2 different states. Applied to over 40 positions only landing 3 interviews. Finally got a PRN job in Hospice but not what I really wanted to do first. Was hoping for a New Grad program but the hospitals said they had too many applicants. I'm still trying for a full-time job but I'm getting tired. Start this new job next week so I look forward to getting some money coming in even though it won't be a steady income. I hope this does turn around soon. I'm so frustrated that I even e-mailed the Oprah Show to see if she can bring this so-called nursing shortage to light!

I'm a billigual ADN grad also. How did you get the prn position? I would be happy with anything right now!!!

Debbie Struble in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

64 months ago

The market right now is for experienced RN's only, very rare to find any opportunity for new grad positions. This is true from the East Coast to the West Coast, North to South, so be willing to move wherever and get in touch with an agency that helps u find jobs! I don't think it will recover anytime soon, especially with the health care revision that is trying to be implemented! I graduated in 12/08 took boards in February of 09, passed first time and have been looking for a job!

lisa 2009 in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

Would you new GRAD R.N. NURSES be willing to work in a different capacity (PCA) until we open up a new med/surgical wing in JAN/2010? We would then consider you to work as a R.N. with six weeks orientation. You must commit to work as a PCA until then. The wage scale will be $10/hr/36 hours a week with no benefits.Interested R.N.'S please send me a cover letter and resume and a contact number in order to be considered.The hospital is in the greater LA county. Closing date is Sept 4,2009. Please no phone calls. Sincerely, Lisa Rodrigues clinical resource mgr Alhambra Medical Center

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

natalie RN- North Alabama in Hixson, Tennessee

64 months ago

as i'am looking through this forum i realize that not only the "south" where i reside is hurting for jobs, so is the west and upper north east USA. I was starting to think it was just me and this area. I was actually thinking about packing up and moving and wishing for the best but maybe now that's not such a great idea. Sometimes its so discouraging knowing i busted my butt getting my RN degree and now there's no promise for anything, not even PRN! I am just lost and seriously have no idea what i have gotten myself into. Me and my fiance are new graduate nurses i have my ADN and he has a BSN ,around here the BSN doesn't make a difference. Actually the ADN'S are promised jobs before BSN students only because of the university's reputation. I thought that my fiance would have found a job for sure, seeing how hes a male minority, but that's not the case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fustrated new grad in Garden Grove, California

64 months ago

Teresa From Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I graduated in December and passed the NCLEX in February. Thought for sure that I would be able to get employment. It's been alsmost four months and can't find a job. Is it going to open up soon for new hires?

I am too graduated in December and got my license in February. still no luck finding a job. it is so fustrating. I am so worried and don't know what to do. it is going to be one year since I've graduated from nursing school . when I went to nursing school , they've said " you've chosen a great career , you'll have no problems finding jobs, there is a huge nursing shortage in USA , blah blah ,blah, " I thought there is no competition finding a nursing job , and gave up my business career to nursing. I should have just open up a day care center , then by now I'll be making my money. I am so sorry guys, I am so MAD AND FUSTRATED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

laura123 in Corona, California

64 months ago

lisa 2009 in Los Angeles, California said: Would you new GRAD R.N. NURSES be willing to work in a different capacity (PCA) until we open up a new med/surgical wing in JAN/2010? We would then consider you to work as a R.N. with six weeks orientation. You must commit to work as a PCA until then. The wage scale will be $10/hr/36 hours a week with no benefits.Interested R.N.'S please send me a cover letter and resume and a contact number in order to be considered.The hospital is in the greater LA county. Closing date is Sept 4,2009. Please no phone calls. Sincerely, Lisa Rodrigues clinical resource mgr Alhambra Medical Center

Lisa 2009, Hello!!
Could we have your email address then we could send you our paperworks. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jessica in Ransomville, New York

64 months ago

rn_extradorinare in California said: SUCKERS!!!!!!!

hahaha

rn_extradorinare in California

64 months ago

They want to degrade you and have you work as a PCA when you are a RN!!!!! Then they want to pay you a measely $10/hr with NO benefits....are you kidding me? Oh but they promise that they will hire you as a RN in Jan 2010 when they open a new unit. Guess what new grads? Management is full of crap! They will lie to you and tell you whatever you want to hear in order to fill a slot and get done what they want done. You should not trust anything they say. How dumb will you feel when Jan 2010 rolls around and you still arent offered a RN job? You will realize you were used. Besides, have some self pride...you worked hard for your RN degree...dont let someone roll you over.....stand up for yourself. $10/hr is an absolute insult....and dont think they would actually keep you only doing PCA work...when they hear you are a RN, you would be getting asked to do RN duties but without the title or pay. Not to mention that you will NOT get respect from anyone on the unit....everyone will assume that you were one of those RN's that failed boards and was forced to work as a PCA until you passed them. You will feel defeated. And why there is no benefits...doesnt even make sense. $10/hr with no benefits=slave labor. If you take this...then yes, you are a sucker!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Stockton, California

64 months ago

I would have to agree with the above statement. It is insulting to have your RN license and be offered work at $10 hour. The employer benefits greatly by this arrangement and you will feel used after awhile.
Flu clinics are coming up - contact the agencies that are offering work. Even though the pay isn't great it will be better than $10 hour.

imejia003 in Miami, Florida

64 months ago

linda in La Jolla, California said: WOuld you take a job with out benefits to begin with?

I would be willing to take a job without benefits. I am interested in relocating. Please contact me.

Joannava in Oceanside, California

64 months ago

As hard as it is right now, I believe we need to stay focused & keep pursuing our goal of working as RN's. Our major problem is lack of experience & I don't thinking working as anything else is going to help, only hinder. Working for flu clinic's is a great idea. I just got a position with Mollen in my area & will be starting later this month. It is only seasonal but pays $22/hr & there is no commitment & the hours are self scheduled enabling me to still pursue a permanent job.

MinhYên in Oakland, California

64 months ago

I can't believe that even RNs have difficult time finding a job. Then I can imagine how harder it is for a respiratory therapist.

Claudia in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

lisa 2009 in Los Angeles, California said: Would you new GRAD R.N. NURSES be willing to work in a different capacity (PCA) until we open up a new med/surgical wing in JAN/2010? We would then consider you to work as a R.N. with six weeks orientation. You must commit to work as a PCA until then. The wage scale will be $10/hr/36 hours a week with no benefits.Interested R.N.'S please send me a cover letter and resume and a contact number in order to be considered.The hospital is in the greater LA county. Closing date is Sept 4,2009. Please no phone calls. Sincerely, Lisa Rodrigues clinical resource mgr Alhambra Medical Center

What? $10 and hour for an RN? What the hell? What did someone go to school for 2 years for to make $10 and hour??? THat' how much In N Out starts you off at!

RN in Stockton, California

64 months ago

Claudia in Los Angeles, California said: What? $10 and hour for an RN? What the hell? What did someone go to school for 2 years for to make $10 and hour??? THat' how much In N Out starts you off at!

Hilarious.......but probably true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Claudia in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

RN in Stockton, California said: Hilarious.......but probably true.

LOL...I swear it's true...you could even find that info on their website....In any case it's sooo sad that it's come to this for nurses...I was thinking about getting a ADN, but now I'm not so sure...:(

debbie in Asheville, North Carolina

64 months ago

wow, NO EXPERIENCE and just graduated and refuse to work??????just because you have a degree dont mean *hit!!!!THE HOSPITALS DONT WANT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WANT EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! too *rickin bad!!!!!!!!!!! i hope you starve to death!!!!!!!! LIVIN off mommy and daddy!!!!!!!!!! well sooner or later you will have to go out to the real world and start working!!!!!!!!! the hospitals are already hiring EXPERIENCED FOREIGN NURSES!!!!!! so what the hell are you waiting for??????? spoiled WITCHES!!!!you make the rest of us women look like MADONNAH!!!!! nothing is guaranteed to you lesbian man haters!!!!! i work here in asheville where there are hardly any jobs and we survive by being meeting the NEEDS OF THE HOSPITALS!!!!!!!! YOU JUST GRADUATE AND THINK THAT THE WORLD OWES YOU A LIVING!!!!!! I FEEL SORRY FOR THE MAN YOU ARE/WILL BE WITH!!!! QUIT YOUR BITCHING AND WORK AS PCA IF YOU HAVE TO TILL A POSITION OPENS UP!!!!!!$10/HR IS BETTER THAN SUCKING OFF YOUR PARENTS/SPOUSE!!!!! TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY AND GET YOUR ASS TO WORK !!!!!!! I HOPE MY TAXES ARE NOT PAYING FOR YOU LAZY ASS!!!!!!THE LONGER YOU SIT OUT, THE STUPIDER IT LOOKS FOR YOU!!!!!YOU WANTED EQUAL RIGHTS SO GET OUT THERE AND START AT THE BOTTOM LIKE WE TOLD THE MEN YEARS AGO!!!!! OTHERWISE SHUT THE *UCK UP!!!!!! THE NURSING FIELD DOESNT WANT YOU!!!!! THERE ARE PLEANTY OF FOREIGN NURSES WHO ARE MORE THAN HAPPY TO WORK!!!!! WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Susan RN in California

64 months ago

HHMMMMM....New graduate nurses be very careful as to whom you listen to in this forum!! Although this is a forum created for new nurses to gather and support each other, it obviously has some seriously mentally disturbed people in it as well. I have been a nurse for 18 years and I was told about this site by a friend who just graduated, she was astonished as was I when she first read some of the postings in here. Remember that nursing is about compassion, and supporting your others in your field is part of it. After reading some of these post I can tell you that I would not want to work with some of these people, and neither should you. They have some serious anger issues. As for working as a PCA, if you are already working and continue with that until a position opens up then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! But, dont go looking for PCA positions this will not help you get experience as a nurse. Remember too, working as a PCA could put your license in jeopardy, you should remember that from the NCLEX. Its tough right now for all nurses, but hold on to your faith, its the only thing that will see you through these tough times. As for the foreign nurse issue, contact your congressmans!! And they, the foreign nurses should keep in mind that it was OUR TAX dollars that brought them here to our country to work and take jobs away from Americans! If they dont like what they read here, then they should not come in this forum. After all, if they really have jobs and I seriously doubt that they do, then what are they in here for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

64 months ago

Claudia in Los Angeles, California said: LOL...I swear it's true...you could even find that info on their website....In any case it's sooo sad that it's come to this for nurses...I was thinking about getting a ADN, but now I'm not so sure...:(

Anyone taking or listening to Debbie, turn and walk away, she seem's to have a chip or grudge against anything related to Nursing. Also , anytime you use caps your yelling.Soumds like she has a problem with her husband or men in general,and has no clue.

Mark RCP in Texas

64 months ago

Susan RN in California said: HHMMMMM....New graduate nurses be very careful as to whom you listen to in this forum!! Although this is a forum created for new nurses to gather and support each other, it obviously has some seriously mentally disturbed people in it as well. I have been a nurse for 18 years and I was told about this site by a friend who just graduated, she was astonished as was I when she first read some of the postings in here. Remember that nursing is about compassion, and supporting your others in your field is part of it. After reading some of these post I can tell you that I would not want to work with some of these people, and neither should you. They have some serious anger issues. As for working as a PCA, if you are already working and continue with that until a position opens up then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! But, dont go looking for PCA positions this will not help you get experience as a nurse. Remember too, working as a PCA could put your license in jeopardy, you should remember that from the NCLEX. Its tough right now for all nurses, but hold on to your faith, its the only thing that will see you through these tough times. As for the foreign nurse issue, contact your congressmans!! And they, the foreign nurses should keep in mind that it was OUR TAX dollars that brought them here to our country to work and take jobs away from Americans! If they dont like what they read here, then they should not come in this forum. After all, if they really have jobs and I seriously doubt that they do, then what are they in here for?

I am not a Nurse, but have respect for all out there, since we all work together for the better of patients. I am an RT and know how hard it is for GRN's to get there foot in the door at a hospital. So , yes , Susan is right, be careful of the advice on all forums... Mark RT/RCP

Susan RN in California

64 months ago

One more thing, if you failed the NCLEX once, twice, it doesnt matter how many times, that does not mean you are not a good nurse!! I know someone who failed 7 times, she is now a unit manager on a cardiac floor and highly respected by her peers! It only matters that you passed! So dont let uncaring people stampede on your dreams, hold your heads high and keep on believing in yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

wilson3217@nc.rr.com in Fayetteville, North Carolina

64 months ago

Fogcity in Alameda, California said: Tell me about it. I started looking in September. Though I had several leads and 1 interview, I am still looking. So depressing. All you hear is "hiring freeze" and than you find out they hired someone anyway. Some employers don't even bother to reply at all despite having required lots of additional work (several essays)with their e-application process. The least they could do is send out a mass mail informing those who weren't chosen. A little courtesy wouldn't hurt them...

Oh man this one is no-brainer. There has been a so called nursing shortage for about 30 years, (way before you were even born). Dont lose hope though, I would say you have to take a lower floor first work part-time, full-time, anytime...just get your foot in the door. Then work from there. What ever they want, take it. Whatever you can get run with it. They call it a "hiring freeze", back in the day it was called "watching the budget". Hospitals will always want to hire 10 and work them like they have 20. They have done this for years...since AIDs was a cold virus. Things ain't changed all that much, they just use more up-to-date jargon. The new grad is left in the cold, they take it personally, as though it's all they're fault they went into nursing instead of journalism. So, just keep your head up, fist clenched, and keep on knocking at the door. I would also say try out temp-agencies like "Nursefinders"and in house float pools...it's worth a try if your not too afraid to get your feet really, really, wet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Struble in Argonne, Wisconsin

64 months ago

U have got to be kidding, right?

64 months ago

I think things are tough everywhere, but there is nothing wrong with exhausting every avenue, every corner. If you need to make money, buy food, get the job now, in your capacity. Show them you will be on time, and be there. 12 hour shifts are grueling, dont complain, do the work. Ask questions, make phone calls. If one of your fellow nurses complain on you, you may have to suck it up. Even if that rn position is part-time...take it, at least your in the door. The hospitals do have their own agendas...to make money with the least amount of staff.

64 months ago

Debbie Struble in Argonne, Wisconsin said: U have got to be kidding, right?

No, I'm not kidding. It is that serious. I think across the different regions, there is some differences. Regional differences. Maybe wage differences, demographic differences. I could be wrong..maybe you can help me with that..is something going on there, that would help explain some things to me. Thanks.

64 months ago

laura123 in Corona, California said: Lisa 2009, Hello!!
Could we have your email address then we could send you our paperworks. Thanks

If you decide to take this job...put on your application you are an RN but have decided this position in the hopes that the new RN positon I am hoping to obtain will then be granted to me. That way you make money and you have explained in a more reasonable, way of why you decided to take the job...in the hopes of obtaining the rn position that was not available to you at that time...but promised at a later time by your employer. This I feel may sit better with potential future employers.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.