New Graduate Nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2151 to 2200 of 2200)
Page:  « First « Previous   41  42  43  44   

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon

24 months ago

In my humble opinion based on what I have seen, the shortage is partly fueled by hospitals that show open positions that they have no intention of filling. Another component to that shortage is most graduating nurses want to work in a hospital setting. They have been told or been given the impression that a position outside of the hospital environ is not real nursing, that there is no advancement or potential for growth outside a hospital setting. Based on that and the fact that there is a growth in the need for nurses outside the institutional setting, there is a real shortage of nurses in community, rural, clinical, home health, corrections, mental health, public health and nursing education. And if you believe these areas are less than nursing in a hospital...you've been misinformed, you've been misguided. I use every bit of what I learned as a BSN student. And I do not work in a hospital, though I did get the bulk of my training and experience in one of the best Magnet Hospitals in Oregon, St. Vincent's in Portland.

Student nurses need to be encouraged to explore all aspects of nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LFitsu in Berkeley, California

24 months ago

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon said: In my humble opinion based on what I have seen, the shortage is partly fueled by hospitals that show open positions that they have no intention of filling. Another component to that shortage is most graduating nurses want to work in a hospital setting. They have been told or been given the impression that a position outside of the hospital environ is not real nursing, that there is no advancement or potential for growth outside a hospital setting. Based on that and the fact that there is a growth in the need for nurses outside the institutional setting, there is a real shortage of nurses in community, rural, clinical, home health, corrections, mental health, public health and nursing education. And if you believe these areas are less than nursing in a hospital...you've been misinformed, you've been misguided. I use every bit of what I learned as a BSN student. And I do not work in a hospital, though I did get the bulk of my training and experience in one of the best Magnet Hospitals in Oregon, St. Vincent's in Portland.

Student nurses need to be encouraged to explore all aspects of nursing.

I realize and respect that hospitals are not the only legitimate nursing jobs but most other listings require 1 year of acute care experience (including hospitals themselves).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon

24 months ago

LFitsu in Berkeley, California said: I realize and respect that hospitals are not the only legitimate nursing jobs but most other listings require 1 year of acute care experience (including hospitals themselves).

While in general that may still be true, there are many opportunities that are becoming more and more available outside the hospital that do not require a year of acute care experience. Of course, I do not and did not look in California, so I do not know how it is presenting there. However, I did look in Washington State, Oregon State and Idaho State. I have also been privy to some mid-western state openings. Many of them do require a year's experience, there is an upsurge in those that do not require that experience to be acute care.

Cases in point...my first job right out of nursing school did not require nursing experience - it was not advertised as a new grad position but there was an excellent nursing department to shepherd me through the learning process. I had not been the first new nurse to be hired out of school there. My second job came a year after I had been working as a nurse. They would have taken a new grad, but "preferred" a year's experience in nursing. It is a dream job position filled with opportunity. Was I lucky? Maybe, but it was not the only position I had seen that was couched in much the same language.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tyansmith in Cambridge, Maryland

23 months ago

Hello,
I would be willing to relocate. I graduated in May 2012 with a BSN in nursing. I have also had a 80 hour mentor-ship, on a ICU floor. If you still have opening, I would love to be considered.
Thank You

Auggie in Sebring, Florida said: Hello after still hearing that RN's are not finding jobs...I am working on a recruiting company for our area in Mississippi. Seeking RN's especially for medical surgical nursing and ICU.
The recruited nurses must be able to get licensed in Mississippi. My goal is to have a program for you to work 6 days on and 6 days off, in case you would like to go home on your time off. Great attitudes and great patient care is a must in our facilities . Includes customer service training. You will be an employee of the hospital . Minimal of a years committment with vacation time included. Also working on some type of housing for the first 3 months free. If you are SERIOUS ONLY...please reply first here.
Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone at home to seek employment.
Thanks, Ellen Augustine RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerry in Saint George, Utah

23 months ago

To Auggie in Sebring, FL

I just graduated as a RN and am enrolled in a BSN Program. I passed my NCLEX this week and am looking for a job. Not sure about this post. Does this mean you have a company who is hiring now and have housing available now? I am reading it to mean that you are looking into doing this at a later date. Please clarify. I would be interested in a job if it is available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosie in Salt Lake City, Utah

22 months ago

Kerry,

I live in Salt Lake City, Ut. I passed the NCLEX on JAN 31. I researched where hospitals are hiring new graduates, and found out it's North Dakota. I applied at two hospitals in Bismarck and another in Minot. I received calls back from all the hospitals, and different units within the same hospitals. I got a nursing internship job on a Med Surg unit. If you're ok with relocating North Dakota is the place to look. If you want more info or need any help feel free to contact me. Also there is a hospital in Scobey, MT willing to hire and train new grads in multiple positions: critical care, ER, MED/SURG. The man I've been e-mailing in Scobey said " you'd be the jack of all trades" . I know these aren't the greatest places to live, but you can spend a year looking for a job or get experience. I'm actually really excited to work in Bismarck, and I've enrolled in their RN to BSN program (which is 2 years)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

nynurse in Hyde Park, New York

22 months ago

Rosie in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Kerry,

I live in Salt Lake City, Ut. I passed the NCLEX on JAN 31. I researched where hospitals are hiring new graduates, and found out it's North Dakota. I applied at two hospitals in Bismarck and another in Minot. I received calls back from all the hospitals, and different units within the same hospitals. I got a nursing internship job on a Med Surg unit. If you're ok with relocating North Dakota is the place to look. If you want more info or need any help feel free to contact me. Also there is a hospital in Scobey, MT willing to hire and train new grads in multiple positions: critical care, ER, MED/SURG. The man I've been e-mailing in Scobey said " you'd be the jack of all trades" . I know these aren't the greatest places to live, but you can spend a year looking for a job or get experience. I'm actually really excited to work in Bismarck, and I've enrolled in their RN to BSN program (which is 2 years)

Thank you for your post. I live in upstate NY, and unless you're connected or know someone influential or extremely lucky, it's almost impossible to get into a hospital around here. Thanks for sharing & giving hope to some of us who have just about given up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosie in Midvale, Utah

22 months ago

NyNurse,

You're welcome, I'm happy to be of some help. You'd be better off looking in Bismarck. The rent is cheaper, and the hospitals offer more per hr. The nurse at the Minot hospital was going to give me an interview for their progressive care unit(where I want to be), but they pay a dollar less per hour then Bismarck, and the rent in Minot is out of control due to oil boom. Also, I think the whole state is looking for nurses and willing to hire new graduates: Fargo, Devils Lake, williston, Etc... If I can be of any help feel free to contact me by e-mail xamartin0508@hotmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosie in Midvale, Utah

22 months ago

NyNurse,

You're welcome, happy I could be of some help. You'd be better off getting a job in Bismarck, rent is cheaper there. I had a phone interview with the hospital in Minot for the progressive care unit(where I want to work), but they pay a dollar less an hour, and rent in Minot is out of control due to oil boom. Also, I think the whole state is looking for nurses, and they are willing to hire new grads: Fargo, Devils Lake, Williston, Etc... If you need any help feel free to contact me xamartin0508@hotmail.com...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ballour in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

I am interested. How do I apply?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ballour in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

Tyansmith in Cambridge, Maryland said: Hello,
I would be willing to relocate. I graduated in May 2012 with a BSN in nursing. I have also had a 80 hour mentor-ship, on a ICU floor. If you still have opening, I would love to be considered.
Thank You

I would also be interested. Please provide info. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ballour in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

Rosie in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Kerry,

I live in Salt Lake City , Ut. I passed the NCLEX on JAN 31. I researched where hospitals are hiring new graduates, and found out it's North Dakota. I applied at two hospitals in Bismarck and another in Minot. I received calls back from all the hospitals, and different units within the same hospitals. I got a nursing internship job on a Med Surg unit. If you're ok with relocating North Dakota is the place to look. If you want more info or need any help feel free to contact me. Also there is a hospital in Scobey, MT willing to hire and train new grads in multiple positions: critical care, ER, MED/SURG. The man I've been e-mailing in Scobey said " you'd be the jack of all trades" . I know these aren't the greatest places to live, but you can spend a year looking for a job or get experience. I'm actually really excited to work in Bismarck, and I've enrolled in their RN to BSN program (which is 2 years)

I am interested. Please provide more info if you can. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula Littlefield in Mansfield, Ohio

15 months ago

Ballour in Los Angeles, California said: I am interested. Please provide more info if you can. Thank you.

I would really be interested in ANY hospital hiring new grads. I have a BSN in place...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lisapenarn

15 months ago

I've been trying to find a decent nurse job for several YEARS! I live in a small rural town and there aren't many jobs. I thought I'd always be able to find a nursing job. I FINALLY found one. If you have your BSN you should check out school nurse jobs. they pay is good and it's easy compared to working in hectic hospitals and the hours are great. edjoin.org. Today was my first day at work, and I'm so happy!!!!!No nights, no weekends and no holidays. I know that some young nurse might want more of a challenge, but I'm 51 years old, and this job is far less stressful than hospital nursing. I am so happy! good luck on your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lisapenarn

15 months ago

I've been trying to find a decent nurse job for several YEARS! I live in a small rural town and there aren't many jobs. I thought I'd always be able to find a nursing job. I FINALLY found one. If you have your BSN you should check out school nurse jobs. they pay is good and it's easy compared to working in hectic hospitals and the hours are great. edjoin.org. Today was my first day at work, and I'm so happy!!!!!No nights, no weekends and no holidays. I know that some young nurse might want more of a challenge, but I'm 51 years old, and this job is far less stressful than hospital nursing. I am so happy! good luck on your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike H RN in Garland, Texas

15 months ago

I'm a new grad and a working nurse. Many of my classmates, myself included, found ourselves in the same situation as what I'm reading on this board. You fill out application after application, and if you actually do get a call, you get your hopes up, then get them smashed into the ground. "Sorry, we like your credentials, but we've decided to go with Nurse XYZ because he or she has 150 years of Med Surg experience and blah blah blah..." The second the nurse manager brings up the fact that Nurse XYZ worked alongside Florence Nightingale, you pretty much know what's coming next - "Give us a call once you get a year or two of experience". Sound familiar?

Here's a few things I learned along the way that might help some of you find a way to open that door:
1. Ask around. It's not what you know, it's who you know, and that can land you an interview.
2. Dress up. I don't care if it's an interview for the sorriest looking facility you ever laid eyes on, look like a pro.
3. Your resume matters. Make it look good, easy to read, and list your clinicals experience.
4. If you were less than perfect way back when, be up front and disclose. SOME places will shut you out the minute you do, but EVERY SINGLE PLACE you interview with will slam the door in your face if you don't.
5. If you're an ADN-RN, better be enrolled in a BSN program or you're not going to hear much. Many universities have online bridge programs that don't cost that much and allow you to take your classes at a pace that can be completed anywhere from as short as 8 months to 24 months if family, job, and finances are a bit tight.
6. You may not land your dream job right out of the chute. I won't go as far as to say to take ANY job, but you might have to settle for getting your two years of experience in an area you never envisioned or never had much interest in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike H RN in Garland, Texas

15 months ago

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon said: In my humble opinion based on what I have seen, the shortage is partly fueled by hospitals that show open positions that they have no intention of filling. Another component to that shortage is most graduating nurses want to work in a hospital setting. They have been told or been given the impression that a position outside of the hospital environ is not real nursing, that there is no advancement or potential for growth outside a hospital setting. Based on that and the fact that there is a growth in the need for nurses outside the institutional setting, there is a real shortage of nurses in community , rural, clinical, home health , corrections , mental health, public health and nursing education . And if you believe these areas are less than nursing in a hospital...you've been misinformed, you've been misguided. I use every bit of what I learned as a BSN student. And I do not work in a hospital, though I did get the bulk of my training and experience in one of the best Magnet Hospitals in Oregon, St. Vincent's in Portland.

Student nurses need to be encouraged to explore all aspects of nursing.

I agree wholeheartedly. Big chain hospital internships only open a couple times a year. I talked to a recruiter with Methodist who told me that in past years there may have been only 4-5 applications for each position, but that in the last 5 years, they were averaging 300-400 for every GN position posted. You, the graduate, aren't even a little fish in a big pond; you're a plankton in the Pacific Ocean. Although I initially approached mental health nursing with a little apprehension, once I got a look inside, I actually turned down offerings for med-surg positions and really love the place where I am now working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lisapenarn

15 months ago

Good sound advice. I finally, finally, FINALLY found a job. I applied for a job at an LVN level out of desperation. I got the job and it turns out that they are paying me $3.00 more an hour than they would have paid an LVN, which I didn't expect. But I will be doing some RN tasks. But this job is great, because the hours are perfect 8:00 til 1:45 M-F. So I can continue on to complete my BSN. Hip Hip Hooray! Don't despair! I believe when Obama care kicks in and more people have health insurance there will be more nurses needed. I already see more and more RN jobs posted and they are not asking for ACLS, and PALS as they were a few years ago. But many of them do require at least a 1 yr. experience. I heard Kaiser has a good new grad program. Many of my colleagues from nursing school started there. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bird in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

Auggie in Sebring, Florida said: Hello after still hearing that RN's are not finding jobs...I am working on a recruiting company for our area in Mississippi. Seeking RN's especially for medical surgical nursing and ICU.
The recruited nurses must be able to get licensed in Mississippi. My goal is to have a program for you to work 6 days on and 6 days off, in case you would like to go home on your time off. Great attitudes and great patient care is a must in our facilities . Includes customer service training. You will be an employee of the hospital . Minimal of a years committment with vacation time included. Also working on some type of housing for the first 3 months free. If you are SERIOUS ONLY...please reply first here.
Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone at home to seek employment.
Thanks, Ellen Augustine RN

Hi, I am a new grad and I am willing to leave my comfort zone to seek employment. Please respond if this position is still open.
Thanks,
Amanda Johnson

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

G.Strong in Aurora, Colorado

14 months ago

Auggie in Sebring, Florida said: Hello after still hearing that RN's are not finding jobs...I am working on a recruiting company for our area in Mississippi. Seeking RN's especially for medical surgical nursing and ICU.
The recruited nurses must be able to get licensed in Mississippi. My goal is to have a program for you to work 6 days on and 6 days off, in case you would like to go home on your time off. Great attitudes and great patient care is a must in our facilities . Includes customer service training. You will be an employee of the hospital . Minimal of a years committment with vacation time included. Also working on some type of housing for the first 3 months free. If you are SERIOUS ONLY...please reply first here.
Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone at home to seek employment.
Thanks, Ellen Augustine RN

Ellen,
Is this program available now? I am a new grad RN, and would like to send you my resume ASAP. This opportunity sounds very exciting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

Would like to send resume. Please advise where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Auggie in Sebring, Florida

14 months ago

Hi Sorry....no I am in in South Carolina. Good luck with your search.
E. Augustine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Job Lister in Aurora, Illinois

14 months ago

BAYADA Home Health Care may have some opportunities for new grads. They have openings listed nationally for CNA, RN, LPN, as well as non-clinical support careers. Check out their career site at jobs.bayada.com/.

I hope you find something that fits your needs, we certainly need more good nurses in the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg56 in New York, New York

14 months ago

I'm not believing these posts. I realize you guys are RN's but my little clinic operates on 64 budgeted prescriber hours/week (currently there are 2 psychiatrists-a bilingual doctor who only works 8 hours and me; we are looking for a full time NP; ours retired in May). Problem is, we are also budgeted for a full-time LPN and she also reached her retirement benfit package in June and left us. (I honestly don't think they have done anything but post the jobs internally, and we have been struggling without a nurse or an NP). We are dying for a nurse and you guys can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rosemary in Wilmington, Delaware

13 months ago

I am a new grad BSN in NY. Where in NY are you located?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosemary in Wilmington, Delaware

13 months ago

I am a new grad BSN in NY. Where are you located? QUOTE who="Greg56 in New York, New York"]I'm not believing these posts. I realize you guys are RN's but my little clinic operates on 64 budgeted prescriber hours/week (currently there are 2 psychiatrists-a bilingual doctor who only works 8 hours and me; we are looking for a full time NP; ours retired in May). Problem is, we are also budgeted for a full-time LPN and she also reached her retirement benfit package in June and left us. (I honestly don't think they have done anything but post the jobs internally, and we have been struggling without a nurse or an NP). We are dying for a nurse and you guys can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg56 in New York, New York

13 months ago

In response to Rosemary: The William F Ryan Center Woman & Children's Center at 801 Amsterdam in NY. The Mental Health Dept is in the Lower Level. The Chief Behavioral Officer is Fern Fleckman LCSW and the postition is being interviewed through her. The website is ryancenter.org, but for some reason they do not post their open positions on the website. There are multiple centers in the city and there very well may be other positions in the city that I do not know about (each center tends to hire within itself, but HR is located at the 97th Street location, if you go to the website).

The one position I am aware of is for an outpatient psychiatric nurse (but it is an LPN postition)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosemary in Wilmington, Delaware

13 months ago

Thanks Greg, I will check it out. If they are willing to hire an RN, you have yourself a nurse.

Greg56 in New York, New York said: In response to Rosemary: The William F Ryan Center Woman & Children's Center at 801 Amsterdam in NY. The Mental Health Dept is in the Lower Level. The Chief Behavioral Officer is Fern Fleckman LCSW and the postition is being interviewed through her. The website is ryancenter.org, but for some reason they do not post their open positions on the website. There are multiple centers in the city and there very well may be other positions in the city that I do not know about (each center tends to hire within itself, but HR is located at the 97th Street location, if you go to the website).

The one position I am aware of is for an outpatient psychiatric nurse (but it is an LPN postition)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wantingacareerchange in Katy, Texas

10 months ago

I am an X-ray tech now going back to get my bachelors in Radiologic Sciences, but I ultimately want to become a Nurse. Primarily dealing with women's health, or even becoming a midwife. Is there anyone who can give me outlook on the nursing life concerning women's health?(labor and delivery, perinatal, midwifery, etc)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mike H RN in Mesquite, Texas

10 months ago

Greg56 in New York, New York said: In response to Rosemary: The William F Ryan Center Woman & Children 's Center at 801 Amsterdam in NY. The Mental Health Dept is in the Lower Level. The Chief Behavioral Officer is Fern Fleckman LCSW and the postition is being interviewed through her. The website is ryancenter.org, but for some reason they do not post their open positions on the website. There are multiple centers in the city and there very well may be other positions in the city that I do not know about (each center tends to hire within itself, but HR is located at the 97th Street location, if you go to the website).

The one position I am aware of is for an outpatient psychiatric nurse (but it is an LPN postition)

I posted on here a while back. I've been working in psychiatric nursing in Texas. They are willing to hire new grads and even put up with your growing pains while you learn the ropes. There are openings where I work, but psychiatric nursing isn't for everyone. It's like any other niche, so if it's not your calling you're going to end up hating working in psych. It also requires developing an entirely new set of skills, and most schools barely even touch on the mental health field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beemrdon in Winchester, Massachusetts

10 months ago

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon said: In my humble opinion based on what I have seen, the shortage is partly fueled by hospitals that show open positions that they have no intention of filling. Another component to that shortage is most graduating nurses want to work in a hospital setting. They have been told or been given the impression that a position outside of the hospital environ is not real nursing, that there is no advancement or potential for growth outside a hospital setting. Based on that and the fact that there is a growth in the need for nurses outside the institutional setting, there is a real shortage of nurses in community , rural, clinical, home health , corrections , mental health, public health and nursing education . And if you believe these areas are less than nursing in a hospital...you've been misinformed, you've been misguided. I use every bit of what I learned as a BSN student. And I do not work in a hospital, though I did get the bulk of my training and experience in one of the best Magnet Hospitals in Oregon, St. Vincent's in Portland.

Student nurses need to be encouraged to explore all aspects of nursing.

Barbara, I have found that NO ONE will hire a new grad in massachusetts, esp w/o a bsn or you know someone. And,,,, they always say, "you need to have 1-2 years of med-surg to qualify". It's the catch 22. And I have looked everywhere, not just at hospitals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

beemrdon in Winchester, Massachusetts

10 months ago

Mike H RN in Mesquite, Texas said: I posted on here a while back. I've been working in psychiatric nursing in Texas. They are willing to hire new grads and even put up with your growing pains while you learn the ropes. There are openings where I work, but psychiatric nursing isn't for everyone. It's like any other niche, so if it's not your calling you're going to end up hating working in psych. It also requires developing an entirely new set of skills, and most schools barely even touch on the mental health field.

Thanks, sounds good. Maybe a move is in order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon

10 months ago

beemrdon in Winchester, Massachusetts said: Barbara, I have found that NO ONE will hire a new grad in massachusetts, esp w/o a bsn or you know someone. And,,,, they always say, "you need to have 1-2 years of med-surg to qualify". It's the catch 22. And I have looked everywhere, not just at hospitals.

I will admit whole-heartedly that I have no experience on the East Coast and how they manage hiring practices. I have heard and seen the 1-2 years experience before hiring. I will also admit that I was looking at RN opportunities and where new grads could find a job almost from the time I transferred into my BSN program as a junior.

And if they are not hiring you where you live, it may be time to relocate. I know there is a new grad program in Wyoming, some in the Dakotas, several in the states of Washington and Oregon. Several have been mentioned on this forum for Texas. I moved 400 miles to get the job I have now. Good Luck to you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

too true in Redmond, Oregon

9 months ago

wantingacareerchange in Katy, Texas said: I am an X-ray tech now going back to get my bachelors in Radiologic Sciences, but I ultimately want to become a Nurse. Primarily dealing with women's health , or even becoming a midwife. Is there anyone who can give me outlook on the nursing life concerning women's health?( labor and delivery , perinatal, midwifery, etc)

L & D is a specialty that requires plenty of certifications, NALS, STABLE, and ACLS. Plus you will need experience to break into the field. Best you could hope for is to land a CNA job on the L & D floor while going to nursing school. You would need your CNA first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anony in Malvern, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

too true in Redmond, Oregon said: L & D is a specialty that requires plenty of certifications, NALS, STABLE, and ACLS. Plus you will need experience to break into the field. Best you could hope for is to land a CNA job on the L & D floor while going to nursing school. You would need your CNA first.

Yeah, sorry to say...get in the line...it forms to the right...everyone wants those jobs...that's why there AREN'T any. EVER. Ever notice that the nurses there are either super educated/qualified or just been there for...30 years??? Trust me, they aren't going anywhere soon. Your nursing instructor lied: you won't make $60.00/hr.

Yep. Nursing sucks. For some of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Able in New York, New York

7 months ago

Any luck for anyone getting jobs in nyc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

7 months ago

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon said: In my humble opinion based on what I have seen, the shortage is partly fueled by hospitals that show open positions that they have no intention of filling. Another component to that shortage is most graduating nurses want to work in a hospital setting. They have been told or been given the impression that a position outside of the hospital environ is not real nursing, that there is no advancement or potential for growth outside a hospital setting. Based on that and the fact that there is a growth in the need for nurses outside the institutional setting, there is a real shortage of nurses in community , rural, clinical, home health , corrections , mental health, public health and nursing education . And if you believe these areas are less than nursing in a hospital...you've been misinformed, you've been misguided. I use every bit of what I learned as a BSN student. And I do not work in a hospital, though I did get the bulk of my training and experience in one of the best Magnet Hospitals in Oregon, St. Vincent's in Portland.

Student nurses need to be encouraged to explore all aspects of nursing.

They do this in all areas of medicine to keep the new people coming along. It keeps wages down and makes it look like they are always hiring. People fall for it and believe medicine is where the jobs are at. Then they find out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

7 months ago

anony in Malvern, Pennsylvania said: Yeah, sorry to say...get in the line...it forms to the right...everyone wants those jobs...that's why there AREN'T any. EVER. Ever notice that the nurses there are either super educated/qualified or just been there for...30 years??? Trust me, they aren't going anywhere soon. Your nursing instructor lied: you won't make $60.00/hr.

Yep. Nursing sucks. For some of us.

People believe what the schools tell them which is odd. the schools are in business to make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anony in Malvern, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

Rosie in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Kerry,

I live in Salt Lake City , Ut. I passed the NCLEX on JAN 31. I researched where hospitals are hiring new graduates, and found out it's North Dakota. I applied at two hospitals in Bismarck and another in Minot. I received calls back from all the hospitals, and different units within the same hospitals. I got a nursing internship job on a Med Surg unit. If you're ok with relocating North Dakota is the place to look. If you want more info or need any help feel free to contact me. Also there is a hospital in Scobey, MT willing to hire and train new grads in multiple positions: critical care, ER, MED/SURG. The man I've been e-mailing in Scobey said " you'd be the jack of all trades" . I know these aren't the greatest places to live, but you can spend a year looking for a job or get experience. I'm actually really excited to work in Bismarck, and I've enrolled in their RN to BSN program (which is 2 years)

I'd like your info!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DarleneRN in Deerfield Beach, Florida

7 months ago

Hello. I graduated in May 2012 with my BSN and unfortunately have not been successful in my job search. I`ve submitted over 200 applications, if not more, already and I`ve been to only 3 interviews that have been unsuccessful due to lack of experience. I am extremely frustrated and very discouraged at this point. I am trying to remain strong and confident but it gets extremely tough at times especially with having a child to care for. I am currently living in South Florida and is asking if anyone knows any where (hospital, home health, community centers, etc) that is willing to hire an inexperienced registered nurse. I am also willing to relocate if it boils down to it. Thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in New York, New York

7 months ago

DarleneRN in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: Hello. I graduated in May 2012 with my BSN and unfortunately have not been successful in my job search. I`ve submitted over 200 applications, if not more, already and I`ve been to only 3 interviews that have been unsuccessful due to lack of experience. I am extremely frustrated and very discouraged at this point. I am trying to remain strong and confident but it gets extremely tough at times especially with having a child to care for. I am currently living in South Florida and is asking if anyone knows any where (hospital, home health, community centers, etc) that is willing to hire an inexperienced registered nurse. I am also willing to relocate if it boils down to it. Thank you in advance.

What kind of program did u go to? Online, associates, bsn? From where ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anony in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

DarleneRN in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: Hello. I graduated in May 2012 with my BSN and unfortunately have not been successful in my job search. I`ve submitted over 200 applications, if not more, already and I`ve been to only 3 interviews that have been unsuccessful due to lack of experience. I am extremely frustrated and very discouraged at this point. I am trying to remain strong and confident but it gets extremely tough at times especially with having a child to care for. I am currently living in South Florida and is asking if anyone knows any where (hospital, home health, community centers, etc) that is willing to hire an inexperienced registered nurse. I am also willing to relocate if it boils down to it. Thank you in advance.

Yikes...you have a BSN already...maybe that area is "saturated"? No joke--many new nurses need to relocate for jobs.

Just curious, did you ever work as a HHA/CNA with some experience prior to the BSN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon

7 months ago

DarleneRN in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: Hello. I graduated in May 2012 with my BSN and unfortunately have not been successful in my job search. I`ve submitted over 200 applications, if not more, already and I`ve been to only 3 interviews that have been unsuccessful due to lack of experience. I am extremely frustrated and very discouraged at this point. I am trying to remain strong and confident but it gets extremely tough at times especially with having a child to care for. I am currently living in South Florida and is asking if anyone knows any where (hospital, home health, community centers, etc) that is willing to hire an inexperienced registered nurse. I am also willing to relocate if it boils down to it. Thank you in advance.

To find work, especially your first job, you may need to relocate. Granted, some of us get hired right out of school...I did, with the agency I worked for as a CNA. I transitioned well though I know there are many students who have foundered after school. I will tell you I had certain criteria I wanted and I looked everywhere I was willing to go to. Many of the hospitals in the area I lived when I graduated were not even looking at new nursing grads except those who they had scholarships with. So I expanded my search to the Jobs boards at the state employment, the Department of Corrections, the State, the VA, Hospitals that are in dire need of nursing they are willing to pay for housing so they can get you there and train you - like in Wyoming, Public Health was kind of a bust because of budget cuts but seems to be improving. These are just a few of the ideas. In the interim, while still looking, keep your skills up by volunteering at health fairs, the health department and community events. Decide what you are willing to do (as a RN, not CNA or LPN) that you can do for a year or two and then make a plan to get to the type of position you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon

7 months ago

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon said: To find work, especially your first job, you may need to relocate. Granted, some of us get hired right out of school...I did, with the agency I worked for as a CNA. I transitioned well though I know there are many students who have foundered after school. I will tell you I had certain criteria I wanted and I looked everywhere I was willing to go to. Many of the hospitals in the area I lived when I graduated were not even looking at new nursing grads except those who they had scholarships with. So I expanded my search to the Jobs boards at the state employment, the Department of Corrections, the State, the VA, Hospitals that are in dire need of nursing they are willing to pay for housing so they can get you there and train you - like in Wyoming, Public Health was kind of a bust because of budget cuts but seems to be improving. These are just a few of the ideas. In the interim, while still looking, keep your skills up by volunteering at health fairs, the health department and community events. Decide what you are willing to do (as a RN, not CNA or LPN) that you can do for a year or two and then make a plan to get to the type of position you want.

This may require research, it did for me. I would like to say to any nursing student out there to start looking at employment options now and building what you need. Start making contacts and start your search where feasible even before you graduate. My first assignment was a foot care nurse for an in-home healthcare agency. I worked my way up to client supervisor and educator. I now work in the corrections setting and I am advancing my education. I work with a variety of patients with a variety of acuity levels from low to high. I would also like to say not to discount any area of patient care setting until you have tried it. Because I will tell you, until I did it, I had no idea what a setting was going to be like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Beaverton RN in Ontario, Oregon

7 months ago

Mike H RN in Mesquite, Texas said: I posted on here a while back. I've been working in psychiatric nursing in Texas. They are willing to hire new grads and even put up with your growing pains while you learn the ropes. There are openings where I work, but psychiatric nursing isn't for everyone. It's like any other niche, so if it's not your calling you're going to end up hating working in psych. It also requires developing an entirely new set of skills, and most schools barely even touch on the mental health field.

Mike, I had a great clinical rotation in Mental Health and an awesome instructor both in the class and in the clinical setting. At the time, I did not realize just how much mental health nursing takes place outside the mental institutions or group environ. I used every bit of mental health nursing I learned and developed even more skills in mental health working with elderly clients and even more now when working with the inmate population. In corrections you are a mental health nurse, acute care nurse, emergency nurse, obstetrics nurse, orthopedic nurse, addictions nurse, phlebotomist, lab tech, CAM nurse and educator all rolled into one. I have patients/inmates who are not only on multiple antipsychotic meds but diabetes meds including insulin, medications for congestive heart failure and medications to control gout (all in one patient).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona

7 months ago

Wow...nurses aren't finding jobs. How come all of the schools say there are jobs then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

perpkins in Dallas, Texas

6 months ago

Auggie in Sebring, Florida said: Hello after still hearing that RN's are not finding jobs...I am working on a recruiting company for our area in Mississippi. Seeking RN's especially for medical surgical nursing and ICU.
The recruited nurses must be able to get licensed in Mississippi. My goal is to have a program for you to work 6 days on and 6 days off, in case you would like to go home on your time off. Great attitudes and great patient care is a must in our facilities . Includes customer service training. You will be an employee of the hospital . Minimal of a years committment with vacation time included. Also working on some type of housing for the first 3 months free. If you are SERIOUS ONLY...please reply first here.
Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone at home to seek employment.
Thanks, Ellen Augustine RN

I dont know if this is.still goin on, but am.interested. please email me at pep4life2009@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nurse2014

6 months ago

I moved to Orlando after finishing nursing school and passing the Nclex. I really need a job but I don't really know anyone around here. If any one could help I would really appreciate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in New York, New York

6 months ago

I am curious to know where everyone originated from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Salty girl in Matthews, North Carolina

21 days ago

Job Lister in Aurora, Illinois said: BAYADA Home Health Care may have some opportunities for new grads. They have openings listed nationally for CNA , RN, LPN, as well as non-clinical support careers. Check out their career site at jobs.bayada.com/ .

I hope you find something that fits your needs, we certainly need more good nurses in the profession.

Bayada Sucks to work for. I worked for them in 2 different states, no raises, terrible and expensive benifits and no PTO!!! Bayada stinks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   41  42  43  44   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.