Nurse Coders

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 93 of 93)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

nursebethat in Eagle River, Alaska

48 months ago

awsmom in Bakersfield, California said: I am new to researching coding and was not familiar with the term CPC. Nurses in Bakersfield start at about $23.00 hr day shift. LA County pays a little more. Then you get night shift differential and once you specialize (ICU,Surgery}.
Think twice before becoming an RN. There has never been a nursing shortage--just nurses fed up working under poor management and tired of hospitals BS. Look up how many RN's are in any given state and how many are actually working as an RN and you will see a large disparity. Rather than improving working conditions, employers would rather shout, "Nursing Shortage" in order to allow foreign nurses to be imported. The last study I read stated 50% of RN in the USA were foreign born. Foreign nurses generally do not rock the boat, are not assertive and will work under any conditions, which help keep wages lower. Nope, never been a nursing shortage, just a shortage of nurses working! There are HUNDREDS of new nursing graduates right now that are unable to get jobs, even in LTC. And hospitals are now laying off RN's due to low census. And you would fit right in--nurses are notorious for eating their young!

Th

Great answer...you are right...she meets the criteria..my husband says, thats why nurses dont progress professionally...very caddy profession compared to PA, Dentist, optometrists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in Cambridge, Massachusetts

44 months ago

Melony in Palmdale, California said: My post specifically says I am a CPC medical coder. Please read before you respond to something. This is a nursing board, not a board to ask about becoming a coder. thanks.

Wow Melony, I am glad you are a coder because the way you talk you sure sound like one of those mean people who thought nursing would be the last resort. That is not what nursing is all about. You are mean. Don't become a nurse, please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Buena Park, California

44 months ago

Melony in Palmdale, California said: My post specifically says I am a CPC medical coder. Please read before you respond to something. This is a nursing board, not a board to ask about becoming a coder. thanks.

I agree with the above post. Nursing is a passion to help others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Sumter, South Carolina

44 months ago

Is it reasonable to take a "Coding for Health Care Professionals" course designed for RNs....preparing to take the CPC exam without any Case Management/Utilization Review experience? In 31 years have worked just about every other area of Nursing. Coding seems like something I would like to do now. Thanks for any help/advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

marylin in New Providence, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

Who would you be taking this course from? Your certification needs to be from AAPC! The nurse-coder certification offered elsewhere is not recognized by the vast majority of employers according to numerous sources.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in Sumter, South Carolina

44 months ago

I'd be taking a 9 month on-line course from a technical college that includes a review for the CPC exam. Thanks for your reply. I don't (yet) know the difference between CPC and AAPC. Guess I need to do more research!

marylin in New Providence, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

the course sounds okay. not a scam. CPC is the certification exam for outpatient coding. AAPC is the professional organization that supports outpatient coders and administers the exam. Does that help?

SAR Corp in Hyattsville, Maryland

43 months ago

Hello Stacie, my company is currently recruiting for an RN with coding experience. We are in the DMV area and I was wondering if you found a position in coding yet, if you have found a position would you be able to refer someone who is an RN and has coding skills?

Stacie in Silver Spring, Maryland said: I am a RN/BSN and have also been researching becoming a RN Coder. I have been a nurse for 15 years and am already burned out and tired of nursing politics. I feel nurses are unappreciated and have to find another outlet. I just saw a job posting here in Atlanta for a RN Inpatient Coder starting at 80,000-150,000 per year. I just registered for a class to become CCS Certified (actually CCA Certified until I get coding experience). I spoke with the instructor and she stated that RN's will be considered golden in this field b/c we have medical terminology, anatomy, and disease process knowledge. She stated that RN's start out anywhere from 80,000 and up here in Atlanta. So basically to answer your question, I would get the RN degree. I hope this helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Certified Medical Auditor-CMAS in Germantown, Maryland

43 months ago

The salary survey for medical auditors is posted on the AAMAS website (AAMAS.ORG).
Check it out and compare with other nursing specialties, location, years of experience, education etc.
Join and network with fellow nurse auditors all over the country. Attend the national conference on Dallas Texas this April. Take audit courses for new and seasoned medical auditors.
You will learn a lot from experts invents field.

Tina Pollick in Danville, Kentucky

42 months ago

I'm looking for a remote clinical auditor position. I have ICD-9 coding experience with a ICU background. Pollickhemlock@aol.com

JLash in Lansing, Michigan

42 months ago

Nurses that have opinions, like your opinion, have definately lowered the quality of the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RHITcoder in Franklin, Tennessee

41 months ago

JLash in Lansing, Michigan said: Nurses that have opinions, like your opinion, have definately lowered the quality of the profession.

I am an RHIT, CCS-P, and I think nurses can make good coders, if they wrap their heads around the coding guidelines, rather than their clinical experience. Examples are knowing your disease processes and what symptoms are integral to diseases, as well as the rules for coding. Coding is a profession and it takes a lot of experience with coding/billing guidelines, not necessarily clinical experience. It is a lot of reading and deciphering physician documentation, then utilizing the endless coding regulations to derive at the correct code(s). It can be boring and is not at all the same as working on the floor, with patients and all the fulfillment that comes with helping people. Coding is usually not recognized as an 'important' role in healthcare and often the only recognition the coder gets is from within. Be careful before you switch careers, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cristine in New Port Richey, Florida

40 months ago

I am an admissions advisor at an online school for CPCs. We are acredited by ABHES and AAPC and we have Diplomas or Associates in Health Science programs - all online. We help with financing and there is a LOT of support.

I was an LPN/EMT and a Nurse Recruiter before I started here and I love working with RNs who want to Code. You can email me ckreplick@ymail.com and I'll help any way I can!

Cristine

Jacquelyn in Naples, Florida

40 months ago

Cristine in New Port Richey, Florida said: I am an admissions advisor at an online school for CPCs. We are acredited by ABHES and AAPC and we have Diplomas or Associates in Health Science programs - all online. We help with financing and there is a LOT of support.

I was an LPN/EMT and a Nurse Recruiter before I started here and I love working with RNs who want to Code. You can email me ckreplick@ymail.com and I'll help any way I can!

Cristine

Dear Cristine,

I was looking into an LPN program down in SouthWest Florida. I'm not sure if I would be able to get the money though. Coding was also something that I was interested in. Could you tell me more about this school? Also, what is the starting and average salary of a CPC coder? I am presently a Dental assistant and was wondering if I should switch to Dental Admin. I would be taking a pay cut though. This is why I'm looking into either LPN or Coder. Thanks!!!

Barbi9 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

39 months ago

RN in Sumter, South Carolina said: Is it reasonable to take a "Coding for Health Care Professionals" course designed for RNs....preparing to take the CPC exam without any Case Management/Utilization Review experience? In 31 years have worked just about every other area of Nursing. Coding seems like something I would like to do now. Thanks for any help/advice.

I am an RN with many years experience working in the Emergency Department. I just completed AAPC's online CPC Course and passed their national exam. I will be working as A DRG Auditor. I did not have any UR experience. You can definitely do it.

RN in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Barbi9 in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I am an RN with many years experience working in the Emergency Department. I just completed AAPC's online CPC Course and passed their national exam. I will be working as A DRG Auditor. I did not have any UR experience. You can definitely do it.

Will you be working in the hospital setting, or for an auditing co. doing reviews? I have UR experience, but am looking into getting CPC certification. I've been told that many RN's review the book, and take the exam without taking a formal course, due to the expense and time factor. Also, is the AAPC certification receommended over the AHIM certification? I think I'd like to do at-home coding in the future for a few physician groups, and would like to know if the CPC covers this area as well, or if you need to take the exam for physician practices. Thanks!

jestorm in Nixa, Missouri

33 months ago

Laurall01 in White Lake, Michigan said: Stay a coder, good money, no back ache, good hours, no exposing yourself to unknown contagious diseases.

I agree also...I am looking into LNC right now and that is how I got here...doing a search for my potential business name! I have been an RN with a BSN for 19 years and have worked in hospital (bach ache and crappy hours yes....), public health...good hours pay not so good, I have also been a Community Health Nurse Educator and a Care Coordinator, Home Health also and pas 5 years Ambulatory IV clinic setting and right now I am recovering from neck surgery which was aggravated from bending over for patients in recliners to put IVs in, access ports, dressing changes...whatever...all bending over....Nursing eats is young and if they are bringing in RNs from other countries we as RNs working in direct patient may as well hang it up! I live in Missouri and your CPC or coder (sorry if I have the title wrong) wages of almost $29/hr are higher than I make with 19 years as RN ...in fact I am at my ceiling at the hospital I work at....Interesting info on here and thanks to all persons who posted above me.....very helpful.

auditnurse in Altamonte Springs, Florida

33 months ago

fooledonce in South Gate, California said: Hello all,

Please avoid RN-Coder boot camp. Very unprofessional outfit-basically a scam. I showed up to their week long "live" seminar (this is an addition to their online study)and no one was there. I was not informed that it was cancelled and my calls and emails were not returned. You also have to join(pay another fee) their unrecognized association in order to take their unrecognized RN-C credential. Should have followed my instincts. Now I will study for the CCS through AHIMA.

I, too, took this class from RN-Coder Boot Camp. This was a huge scam. There were 15 of us in the class and none of us felt we got anything from this class. The instructor was unprofessional, brought her kid to the class who sat behind me giggling and on his computer the entire week. The tests and literature was outdated and there were so many errors on the tests, that they were almost impossible to take. BIG SCAM!! The instructor talked about being a midwife and her "clinic". AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeeplady in Kingston, Tennessee

32 months ago

Thank you for your comments, I was going to take the RN-Coder class but after reading your comments I have decided to do more research and probably use AHIMA. I too am a nurse with over 20 years experience and have decided to join the coding brigade, makes sense with all the changes coming up in 2013!

Jacquelyn in Lehigh Acres, Florida

32 months ago

Are the changes directly related to all of the changes in Healthcare, or is this just a new coding system?

nursecathy in Pflugerville, Texas

32 months ago

And you are a cranky CPC coder, too!

nursecathy in Pflugerville, Texas

32 months ago

awsmom in Bakersfield, California said: I am new to researching coding and was not familiar with the term CPC. Nurses in Bakersfield start at about $23.00 hr day shift. LA County pays a little more. Then you get night shift differential and once you specialize (ICU,Surgery}.
Think twice before becoming an RN. There has never been a nursing shortage--just nurses fed up working under poor management and tired of hospitals BS. Look up how many RN's are in any given state and how many are actually working as an RN and you will see a large disparity. Rather than improving working conditions, employers would rather shout, "Nursing Shortage" in order to allow foreign nurses to be imported. The last study I read stated 50% of RN in the USA were foreign born. Foreign nurses generally do not rock the boat, are not assertive and will work under any conditions, which help keep wages lower. Nope, never been a nursing shortage, just a shortage of nurses working! There are HUNDREDS of new nursing graduates right now that are unable to get jobs, even in LTC. And hospitals are now laying off RN's due to low census. And you would fit right in--nurses are notorious for eating their young!

Th

Amen to that! I know so many, many people who are (or were) nurses but just could not continue being abused in the job. Hospitals balance their budgets on nurses' backs and will continue to do so until we unite and say 'no more'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ANEWBY- in Aiken, South Carolina

31 months ago

Hey Melony~ I have my BA IN BS - well it seems to me. I have a BA in Biology and and a minor in English Literature as well!! I love research of any kind- the main research Ive been into is on the movement of herpes (snakes,amphibians,reptiles and such) throughout the Carolina Bays at Savannah River Site but that ended as soon as I grad.- in 2004 !~ And I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF!!! I want to make decent money- more than 10.00 an hour! I will take any class you suggest! if codings the future then Im all for it!
I just want to make the right next move= I <3 School! I love learning- I know its been years since Ive graduated but I will go back! Any advice would be greatly appreciated~and Im all ears~! I want to be a nurse but it would prob take forever- I wanna make a smart next move= anything is better than sitting on my butt just wondering what to do next! Please = any words of wisdom or any words at all would be are will be greatly appreciated! I just DONT WANT TO TEACH BIOLOGY= now English Lit I rock at but THAT IS NOT THE POINT~ WHAT DO U THINK I SHOULD DO? HELP
Sincerely, A Newby

I do apologize for my ADHD - it drives me nuts! Another reason I love research! I can get all OCD and obsessed with it! Add and Adhd and ocd all hold hands~ thats why they are all misdiagnosed - (its a messed up world)= I may sound messed up but im not Im just desperate to find my path in this world where I can make a difference and actually use my freaking degree! (I should have gone to a tech school- then I would have come out with a skill and a freaking job) UGH! makes me sick sometimes....
PLEASE HELP~~~~ IF YOU CAN~ PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Thank you for your time.

RN in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

ANEWBY- in Aiken, South Carolina said: Hey Melony~ I have my BA IN BS - well it seems to me. I have a BA in Biology and and a minor in English Literature as well!! I love research of any kind- the main research Ive been into is on the movement of herpes (snakes,amphibians,reptiles and such) throughout the Carolina Bays at Savannah River Site but that ended as soon as I grad.- in 2004 !~ And I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF!!! I want to make decent money- more than 10.00 an hour! I will take any class you suggest! if codings the future then Im all for it!
I just want to make the right next move= I <3 School! I love learning- I know its been years since Ive graduated but I will go back! Any advice would be greatly appreciated~and Im all ears~! I want to be a nurse but it would prob take forever- I wanna make a smart next move= anything is better than sitting on my butt just wondering what to do next! Please = any words of wisdom or any words at all would be are will be greatly appreciated! I just DONT WANT TO TEACH BIOLOGY= now English Lit I rock at but THAT IS NOT THE POINT~ WHAT DO U THINK I SHOULD DO? HELP
Sincerely, A Newby

I do apologize for my ADHD - it drives me nuts! Another reason I love research! I can get all OCD and obsessed with it! Add and Adhd and ocd all hold hands~ thats why they are all misdiagnosed - (its a messed up world)= I may sound messed up but im not Im just desperate to find my path in this world where I can make a difference and actually use my freaking degree! (I should have gone to a tech school- then I would have come out with a skill and a freaking job) UGH! makes me sick sometimes....
PLst haveEASE HELP~~~~ IF YOU CAN~ PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Thank you for your time.

hey may
Can't you become a CRA - they make tons of money! and you must have research background to get in. I've tried many times but don't have the research background.

ANEWBY- in Aiken, South Carolina

31 months ago

Thank you for replying - Im looking into that now and maybe - hopefully it will be what Ive been looking for. Thanks again. All I need is freaking just a lil guidance in the right direction- and this could be it and if it is - omg you will def be hearing from me- :) IM DOING SOME RESEARCH NOW BY GOLLY! ha toodles

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas

29 months ago

Yes Melony, this is a nursing board, not for people wanting to have their hand held and told that they should be a nurse.
As rude and ignorant as you are in ur responses on here, do not become a nurse. We don't want you!
Also, you got all up in a frenzy over someone asking about coding and you chastised them saying this wasn't the board for them to use. In all honesty, this isn't the board for you to ask about nursing. There are student boards-go there and ask. Nursing doesn't need your rudeness in our profession.

msrn in Texas

29 months ago

What is the difference between nurse auditor and medical coder? What qualities do nurses have to have to become a nurse auditor? Fluent in speaking and writing? strong clinical skills?
Also other posters have posted about medical coding, but how is a job prospect of medical coders? I heard that it is very difficult to find jobs unless they have at least 2 years of expereience. I also heard there are lot of risks involved with this job, for example, if a coder does not code correctly the facility can get into lot of trouble for fraud. Did anybody had this kind of problem while working as a coder?

Mar in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

awsmom in Bakersfield, California said: Where do you work? Are you a certified coder? I live in Tehachapi and would like to become a coder.

I an an RN and they call us clinical documentation specialist, I started at 82,000. My background is 20 yr nursing exp.

Daisy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

msrn in Texas said: What is the difference between nurse auditor and medical coder? What qualities do nurses have to have to become a nurse auditor? Fluent in speaking and writing? strong clinical skills?
Also other posters have posted about medical coding, but how is a job prospect of medical coders? I heard that it is very difficult to find jobs unless they have at least 2 years of expereience. I also heard there are lot of risks involved with this job, for example, if a coder does not code correctly the facility can get into lot of trouble for fraud . Did anybody had this kind of problem while working as a coder?

Knowledge of medical necessity review, with Interqual and/or Milliman experience. There are other types of reviews however, dep on the insurance co or hospital you're doing the review for.

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas

27 months ago

I know this may throw some into a frenzy but I need advice and hopefully someone to talk to personally(email). I just moved to Dallas, I have my ASN degree and RN in my previous state. As like all of you...I am tired of bedside nursing. I have worked as a UM at an insurance company a bit back. Texas is giving me a hard time to get my license because of the school I got it from(I was in a BSN program but at the last year my spouse and I divorced and I dropped out). I finally ended up getting my ASN/RN from Excelsior College(back then it was known as Regent's college). I am now going back to school but don't know which avenue to go. All I need is 11 classes at Excelsior for my BSN. But then there is a program for ASN to MBA. My Bachelors only needs about the same # of classes to get my BS in health care mgmt then my MBA. I want to work in the business side of healthcare, so I am taking a noncredit course to be able to take the ccs exam(or would it be cca since just starting?). I am wanting to work as a coder so that I can work my way up and know the biggest part of healthcare-billing/coding.
my question:since I am not working, and I need the money! Can I get a job as a coder w/o the ccs initials which I should have in a few months? As I said, I have done utilization mgmt, including retro review where I had to know all the codes, what should I do now?
even if anyone knows of a kind of job I can do now please tell me.

Marylin in Quarryville, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

In general, the BSN will be more versatile and get you in more doors and provide more long-term security. I would do informational interviews with managers in areas where you are interested. At least a dozen. Then you will have enough information to make a personal plan. A BSN will help not hinder a management career. You will not regret it.

27 months ago

An additional thought. An MBA may or may not be the right degree. An MBA earned when you are NOT in a management position frequently does NOT open doors. An MBA when you ARE in a management position can be a good idea. I'd recommend being a charge nurse and advancing in nursing and see if management is for you. If you go the coder route, you are starting at the very bottom, and you would need an HIM or HIT, and a different Master's degree. Donna Cardillo at Ask Donna on line is an exceptional source of wisdom. And those informational interviews. You may find out management is perfect for you, . . . Or not. P.S. a college recruiter will tell you anything to get you in the door. It is a sales job. One of the wisest things a DON said to me was "you have to decide which ladder you want to climb. And, IF you want to climb. Good luck!

27 months ago

Look into Clinical Documentation Specialist. You could probably get that now. That is in the QA/UM/risk mgmt department. A BSN works there also. And you can get into management there.

jan.mccrory@verizon.net in Temecula, California

21 months ago

I am an R.N. with 20 yrs. experience. I have not worked for the past 13 yrs., but I am ready to go back to nursing. I have one yr. of doing U.R. for an insurance company. I want to get back into U.R.,case managment or medical billing. Any advise on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!!

Pathway Medical in Skillman, New Jersey

21 months ago

jan.mccrory@verizon.net in Temecula, California said: I am an R.N. with 20 yrs. experience. I have not worked for the past 13 yrs., but I am ready to go back to nursing. I have one yr. of doing U.R. for an insurance company. I want to get back into U.R.,case managment or medical billing. Any advise on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!!

This is a tough one because your nursing experience is outdated. I would try to work temp, HEDIS would be a great start. A nursing refresher course will not be helpful on the UR side unless you worked at least part time on a med surg unit.

bennie in Newark, Ohio

17 months ago

Melanie in Irvine, California said: The company I work for is in need of one or two nurse auditors. If you are interested in some extra work or if you know anyone else who is, send your resume to newportjobs@gmail.com

hello,

I just came across your posting. Does your company still need nurse auditors or do you know of any other companies that do? I am an RN,BSN and received my CPC-A in nov 2012 and have been unable to find employment.
Thanks

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

awsmom in Bakersfield, California said: Where do you work? Are you a certified coder? I live in Tehachapi and would like to become a coder.

Make sure the school you attend is AHIMA approved.

Michael Career Training in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

jan.mccrory@verizon.net in Temecula, California said: I am an R.N. with 20 yrs. experience. I have not worked for the past 13 yrs., but I am ready to go back to nursing. I have one yr. of doing U.R. for an insurance company. I want to get back into U.R.,case managment or medical billing . Any advise on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!!

Make sure you attend an AHIMA approved program. We are located in Los Angeles but I know that Loma Linda University has a great AHIMA approved Certification Program. Hospitals want a CCS/CPC. We work with and place our students in many of the hospitals in the Los Angeles area.

LoveGodFamily in Kansas City, Kansas

15 months ago

I am a Clinical Social Worker and have been diagnosing mainly Behavioral Health with coding, and have worked in medical settings. I am wanting to build on my experiences, and looked through your posts, as I have experience with UR, auditing med records, etc. I am interested in obtaining medical coding specialist certification, and my interest in treatment planning and wellness may help. I am burned out of direct care social work and do not want to obtain a nursing degree, although I want to take medical classes. I am working part-time in an emergency room setting currently. Your posts have been helpful in my decision-making process. I really think that I would be more employable, but I have also seen that employers think people in their 40s are "old". I do not know where those ideas came from, but we have about 28 years or so left to work, and our generation, for the most part, are not slackers. Our community college has a good program, so I will check it out.

Topaz07 in Poughkeepsie, New York

15 months ago

Here is a favorite website where you can find a lot of great info for free, not to mention great courses. Go to bit.ly/12LzWNW and get the free information on “How to Get Started in the Lucrative Medical Coding Field” and/or “How to become a Certified Medical Coder”.

There are also free monthly webinars. Go to bit.ly/RFisXY and click the Free Webinar button on the menu bar to sign up.

Elaine in Lorton, Virginia

10 months ago

Marilyn in Beltsville, Maryland said: Consider exploring the medical audit field combining nursing, coding, medical record review, UM, case management in ONE. The American Association of Medical Audit Specialists (website: aamas.org) would be an organization to consider. It is comprised of nurses, health information mx or coding professions, physicians and allied health professionals. Get certified as a CMAS - Certified Medical Audit Specialist and be recognized in this field. Read the 2010 AAMAS salary survey.
• CMAS Certified: 60% earn an average annual salary of $72,083.
• Not CMAS Certified: 78% earn an average annual salary of $63,890.

Read more: www.aamas.org/news/2010-salary-survey/

Hi , Marilynn I was reading your post an I'm a LPN in VA an I in the LT . I want to get out. I'm interested in becoming a coder or utilization nurse is field still looking good?

Elaine in Lorton, Virginia

10 months ago

Marilyn in Beltsville, Maryland said: Consider exploring the medical audit field combining nursing, coding, medical record review, UM, case management in ONE. The American Association of Medical Audit Specialists (website: aamas.org) would be an organization to consider. It is comprised of nurses, health information mx or coding professions, physicians and allied health professionals. Get certified as a CMAS - Certified Medical Audit Specialist and be recognized in this field. Read the 2010 AAMAS salary survey.
• CMAS Certified: 60% earn an average annual salary of $72,083.
• Not CMAS Certified: 78% earn an average annual salary of $63,890.

Read more: www.aamas.org/news/2010-salary-survey/

Hi , Marilynn I was reading your post an I'm a LPN in VA an I in the LT . I want to get out. I'm interested in becoming a coder or utilization nurse is field still looking good?

renee.l.booth.crrn@gmail.com in Adelanto, California

7 days ago

RN in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: Wow Melony, I am glad you are a coder because the way you talk you sure sound like one of those mean people who thought nursing would be the last resort. That is not what nursing is all about. You are mean. Don't become a nurse, please.

Maybe the statement she made was a little abrupt. She is not far from the truth though. As an RN for about 20yrs with a specialty in rehabilitation nursing, I was recently fired from a job I had been with for over 10yrs. I was asked to change my charting as it was affecting the companies reimbursement. Actually all the primary nurses were asked the same. I didn't change anything, I continued to do what was right for the patient and myself. We have made healthcare a marketable commodity. However, the changes I see here in California, are older nurses who won't compromise are leaving patient care for other directions. Younger nurses or new nurses can easily be molded to a company, where experienced nurses know what is right and acceptable, and are not willing to compromise at the expense of patients.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.