Once you are a LPN can you become a RN how hard and is it worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Marlinda in Biloxi, Mississippi

64 months ago

Hi,
I was a LPN for 5yrs, loved every year of it. Then we moved from Mobile, AL to Boise, Idaho, where the LPN's were basically, only allowed to do, what the 'SOUTHERNER'S' call nurses aide duties (we couldn't even hang regular IV fluids without taking a special course). Anyway, this pushed me into seeking information into becoming a RN. To my pleasure, I found out that a LPN could challenge the first year of the 2 year program, be sure to check into this possibility if you choose to go back for your RN, which you will make have more choices and make more money.

And just another small bit of advice, after reading some of the other nurses' responses about the Associates program (ADN)vs the Bachelors program (BSN). Something to think about, if you do the ADN program first, then work a few years and find out this is not really what you wanted, then you can use your other 2 years, with your RN nursing experience, to go into something like a social worker; clinical research associate; utilization review manager; or case manager; etc.

If you find any of this info. helpful, please feel free to e-mail me and ask. I have been a nurse for over 20 yrs now, worked my way up the ladder from LPN to RN-BSN and I have been in the Army reserves-if you happen to have any questions about the military-it was mandatory that I had to get my BSN when I joined the Army.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (134) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Janice in Memphis, Tennessee

62 months ago

lily in Everett ma in Medford, Massachusetts said: I pass the board RN 3 months ago, i still can't find a NEW grad position. I applied every where.

Have you tried the place you did your clinical training? There should be no problem unless you have received a bad evaluation or has someting bad in your background. Also be aware that some companies are now doing credit background checks before hiring people which to me is a form of discrimination. If none of these are hinders from you getting a job, contact the companies you have applied at and request a reason that you were not hired. You can even request to know what is showing up on your record. Also be careful of who you use as a reference, sometimes people you may think you can trust is envious and will blackbald you. If nothing else helps, go to your local unemployment office and look at the job listings and have them send you on a job, this would be easier for you. Good Luck on your job hunting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hope in Alexandria, Louisiana said: This is a question that i need to know can anyone please help me with this/

It is definitely worth it. Your experience as an LPN will definitely help you become an RN but do not go in it for the money. You must like what you do as a healthcare worker. One should have a heart for others, especially the elderly. If you only want to go into it for the money,you may be miserable and should realize it is not for you. Nursing requires true dedication and caring for people. I believe when people only go into nursing for money and do not really like their jobs as nurses, this is where neglect and abuse starts in the nursing profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Marie in Dumfries, Virginia said: Is it worth it going for you LPN license at 53 years old. My husband does not want me to get a RN as it would take too long. We moved out further and it messed up my career in Human Resources. A friend told me that it would be hard on my feet. Is their anyone that has done this that could advise. I think I would then get a RN on a LPN to RN program on line.

I say go for it if this is what you want. I know that your husband is a big part of your life and should be respected. But, what happens if something should happen to him or you all are not together later on, who will you have to blame because you were allowing someone else to dedde your destiny? One must make their own deision when it comes to such an important one as a lifetime dream. It may be too late to look back and say "I should have done this?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nadia in Montreal, Quebec

62 months ago

whay is it that everyone is talking about the money , not loving being a nurse, that is why hospitals are filled with bad nurses

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Nadia in Montreal, Quebec

62 months ago

whay is it that everyone is talking about the money , not loving being a nurse, that is why hospitals are filled with bad nurses

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

nurse Kathy

62 months ago

I'm not sure what you do for a living but I can guarantee that you wouldn't do it for nothing or low pay no matter how much you love it. Nursing is the most difficult job I've ever had. When the responsibility of someones life is in my hands I think fair and equitable pay is expected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I meant to not go into nursing solely for money. I am an RN BSN. I went into nursing mainly because I love taking care of people, especially the elderly. Of course we all want to get paid for working. But as you know it takes a special kind of person to be a nurse. I have seen so many people come into thr field for the money to later find out that nursing is not what they really want to do. So all I am saying is pick nursing if you can be happy with it because you will be dealing with human lives. I have worked from a CNA up to an RN BSN and I never did it for the money. I did it to try to acieve the best I could in the field I chose. Right now I know that I am not receiving the highest pay for my degree but I am content with the job I have. I just went through a period of unemployment. So I know God has blessed me with a job in the only profession I have ever realy had since high school. Therefore, I will not complain about money and value money as a high priority because it can all be taken away with a blink of an eye but the compassion we have for people as nurses will be there forever. There are so many nurses without jobs at this time, so am just blessed to have a job at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

There should not be a problem for you. Most Rn programs have what is called fast track Rn programs where you just apply and take the challenge tests. Have you tried Northwest in Ms? If not try Union or Southwest in Tennessee. Call the School of nursing departments at these schools. Make sure you ask about residency, sometimes states have different requirements. I graduated from MS Delta in Moorhead, Ms and later UofM but I did not challenge. Try MS schools first. Let me know if this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hakeem- Columbus Georgia

60 months ago

Thank you so much miss Janice, you are right because i see so many new nurses in my age group, that doesnt have any nursing background at all. So when they start working as a nurse they never want to do the dirty work at all. They want all the easy assignments with help at their side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hakeem- Columbus Georgia

60 months ago

Miss janice how long did you stay a LPN until you got your RN? When u did went back for your RN, was school a whole lot better for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roaa fadel in coquitlam, British Columbia

60 months ago

Hmmmmm, actuly im living in Canada, BC.. i'm 22 years old and taking general sciebnce courses at Douglas College, uhhhhh im suffering alot 2 find what thrills me :(
im really thinking to do LPN, i cant see myself out of health science field and i love to hear from you guys.!!!
As i'm reading, most of you saying its easier to do LPN then RN, but is it the same case here in Vancouver? i dont want to go on waitlist for 2 years !!
Is it easier to get in to the program in Ontario than BC ?
will LPNs private colleges grads have less employment opportunities than community grads ? which colleges do u recommend ?
i really NEED clear advice.... appreciate it :) !!

Thanxxx :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Port Orchard, Washington

59 months ago

My husband is in the military and we will be moving this summer. We don't know where but I would like to start an LPN or RN program. What do you recommend my first steps be? Do you know if FINAID will cover online schooling? I want to become an RN and then a BRN (?) or CNO...any info would be great

Becomming an RN from an LPN is worth it in Woodinville, Washington said: Yes, you can become an RN and it is totally worth it. The higher degree itself can make you about $10,000 to $20,000 more a year, depending on where you live and how much you work.

Not only are you gonig to get paid more, you have many more options as to the kind of work you can get, and the mobility you have. I have a friend who is teaching 2x a week and getting paid about $4,500 a month. His BSN made it happen for him.

You can get a great degree online. Not only is it less expensive, you have more options as to when you take classes and when you study. Online or not, make sure you find an accredited college. Without that, many of the options you might have had will be lost.

When looking for schools, I'd look for the following:

A school that has earned the highest form of accreditation, which is regional accreditation
A non-profit school
Gives credits for your experience
Offers 100% online degrees except that you take your clinical locally

You can find 3+ schools that meet those criteria and offer even more benefits here:
www.jobs-in-registered-nursing.com/online-nursing-schools.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Port Orchard, Washington

59 months ago

Which is the quickest route to RN CNA or LPN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rob Johnston in Jacksonville, Florida

59 months ago

Katy in Port Orchard, Washington said: My husband is in the military and we will be moving this summer. We don't know where but I would like to start an LPN or RN program. What do you recommend my first steps be? Do you know if FINAID will cover online schooling? I want to become an RN and then a BRN (?) or CNO...any info would be great

Katy,

The first thing I would do is verify your eligibility for the MyCAA program. Once you do that, you can contact any one of a number of schools that can get you the tracks/paths you are looking for.

I guess a good question to ask is: Do you know what MyCAA is?

-Rob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Silverdale, Washington

59 months ago

Nope what is it??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Katy in Silverdale, Washington said: Nope what is it??

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)

Nutshell answer, it's a $6,000.00 scholarship for any spouse of an active duty service member to be used for schooling. Does not affect your husband's G.I. Bill or TA monies, it's all for you. And because it's a scholarship, it's non-taxable as well.

aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/default.aspx

Enjoy, and you're welcome. :-p

-Rob

59 months ago

great thanks! any other info you have would be great. I need to find out a program that I can do on the move or at least work on, while moving around too I'd like to be able to get my LPN within a year, my ARN w/in 2 years and start my BRN...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Katy in Silverdale, Washington said: great thanks! any other info you have would be great. I need to find out a program that I can do on the move or at least work on, while moving around too I'd like to be able to get my LPN within a year, my ARN w/in 2 years and start my BRN...

That's all I can really help you with at the moment. I don't work much with the Nursing. I specialize in the CMAA/CBCS and I.T. certifications. I don't want to just give information for the sake of typing.. Your best bet, once you create an account w/ MyCAA is to do a program search and contact the schools that offer what you are considering. You're going to need a primarily ONLINE track -OR- be able to attend classes at multiple locations, due to your moving...

I wish I could give you a clearer answer, but it's all I have at the moment. We have highly mobile solutions for what we work with, but I'm not sure about what some other schools do.

-Rob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reba in Alexander City, Alabama

59 months ago

theinfamouswho in Lakeland, Florida said: I am in my late 40's. Is it too late to start some kind of nurses training?

No, I am 48 and went back to shcool three years ago with health problems and stress and made it. Several people that I know of went back to school in older years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

theinfamouswho in Lakeland, Florida

59 months ago

Hey, Wow, did you get your LPN or RN? How long did it take you? Did you have any college background? I have none and am just now half way through my very college class, English Comp I. I am taking on line through our local community college. Thanks!s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

reba in Alexander City, Alabama

59 months ago

I was 36 in 1996 when I started school to become an LPN I had no experience except taking care of ederly parents. I went back to school in 2005 and got my RN in 2008 at the age of 46. My neice did the same thing and now she is 38 and is a family nurse practioner. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

theinfamouswho in Lakeland, Florida

59 months ago

That is wonderful! I do feel encouraged and my kids are all getting older and moving on. Sure gives me a lot to think about, thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

silvia in Sacramento, California

59 months ago

im a jr in high school and i want to become a rn in army but dont know what kind of education is needed

59 months ago

silvia in Sacramento, California said: im a jr in high school and i want to become a rn in army but dont know what kind of education is needed

My recommendation would be 1 of 2 things get your LPN right when you graduate and then go into the army, if you're in HS now you should look into a "running start" program which can be full time LPN program you'd be graduated from that program and HS at the same time and you would most likely be able to enlist in the army as an E4 or above. If you have an associates degree you can enlist as an E3 OR E4 which is awesome in my opinion. Or just enlist straight out of HS and let the army pay for your education you can start right after basic training if you want and even sign up as a nurse if you score high enough on the ASVAB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mystic in Bronx, New York

59 months ago

hello
needed to know, where is one of the best places in Alabama to get the lpn education? will be moving soon..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Justine in Olyphant, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

lovely site lots of good advice. so from what I take it most reccomend working after getting lpn then going back to school for RN? I'm in the process of going to school for LPN but am just exploring my options as far as opportunities go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Experience is what will help you in continuing your education in nursing more than anything. Sometimes it is hard to work and go to school at the same time but it can be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jancie in Cleveland, Ohio

59 months ago

reba in Alexander City, Alabama said: No, I am 48 and went back to shcool three years ago with health problems and stress and made it. Several people that I know of went back to school in older years.

I graduated from LPN school at age 61! Yes, stressful, but then I didn't get my BA until I was 50. Just a late bloomer...

I also have some serious health issues, but am hoping to go on for my RN. Older doesn't mean useless, it means many life experiences, such as caring for older relatives, and a wealth of information that you can only get through life. Oh yeah...there were very few medicines I wasn't familiar with from self and family members! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

huggiebear in Lawton, Oklahoma

59 months ago

silvia in Sacramento, California said: im a jr in high school and i want to become a rn in army but dont know what kind of education is needed

hey, the person who replied to your thread is misinformed, you can't simply just score high on the asvab, and then automatically become an RN, first you need your BSN, also you will join the officer ranks as an RN (If any recruiter tells you different, you need to automatically step out of their office and talk to a recruiter who is at least honest with you about that. Also after basic it will be very tough to fit in school, with your army duties, also it is not your option on whether or not you will get into the medical field as an enlisted person, if the recruiter tells you that, then make sure you get it in writing..I think your best path if you do want to join the army as an RN

1)Graduate High School
2)Apply to at least 3 Nursing Schools to guarantee acceptance into at least one
3)When you reach your junior year in college, talk to A HEALTHCARE RECRUITER, do not, do not talk to a regular enlisted recruiter
4) In your junior year, check out the ANCP program(the recruiter will tell you about this)

As long as you are pretty healthy, they should accept you
Not only that but you will be An RN and an O-1 (officer rank)
plus if you stay in for 20 years, you would retire in your 40's
my only tidbit is when your in your first couple of years of college do CNA program to ensure the nursing profession is for you,

I'm 6 years prior enlisted, military intelligence in the army, and currently working on my BSN, and becoming an officer in the army.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gone Farth in Seoul, South Korea

58 months ago

Hope in Alexandria, Louisiana said: This is a question that i need to know can anyone please help me with this/

Do whatever the heck you want. It is your decision to go to school and become a nurse, or work as a nurse. If you can afford it, just do it and see for yourself. Waiting to get an answer from other nurses just makes nothing happen.

It is hard work, but the pay is great, and there is always a new challenge. You must like to work with your hands, with people and teaching others. Paying attention to documents helps.

Go for it. You'll always have a job in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

huggiebear in Lawton, Oklahoma

58 months ago

I don't have alot of nursing experience as of right now, however you do have alot of options..since you are already an LPN, you have the experience, also I don't know if the financial aspect matters to you, but you will make more than LPN with just an ADN. I would recommend the ADN if you don't plan on going further, ie becoming a Nurse Practioner, CRNA, etc, if you do want to go further BSN is definitely the way to go...Far as school goes, make sure you apply to two to three schools, I didn't have a back up school first go round and got denied, I had to wait another six months, and then applied to two schools and got my 2nd choice...good luck in whatever you decide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Taurus in California

58 months ago

ADVICE WANTED FROM NURSES: I am a forty year old male considering nursing school. I don't have a particular affinity for math and science however I am more than willing to go to group studies, work with a tutor, and work as hard as I need to to succeed in nursing prereq classes and nursing school. If I do this my plan is as follows:

1. Get a Clinical Medical Assistant certificate from my local adult school and start work in a medical setting. This would get my foot in the door of the medical field. I also think that this would help me be admitted to and succeed in LVN school.

2. Complete LVN school asap so I can work as a nurse and because I think it would help my admission to and success in RN school.

3. Become an RN asap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hakeem in Columbus, Georgia

58 months ago

Hello my name is Hakeem i am a 20 year male with C.N.A experience. I wanted to go for LPN but after thinking how much LPN are limited to in my area. I though about going right into RN is that good choice or not please send me your feedback thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

NK in Vancouver, British Columbia

58 months ago

Hey!!!

does it matter if i do my LPN at any college??

I was thinking of getting my LPN and start working...and once i have my LPN i would liek to start the RN program... if i get my LPN at any random college will i still be able to upgrade to an RN in a better uni?? Or will they not accept the LPN?? OR does it depend on the school i got my LPN? Whats the deal?? Does the college i go for to take my LPN have a huge affect if the end result is to get my RN? I want to be able to get a good job...i dont want the school i go to put me back! :)

I just dont want to go to a wrong school...where they take all my money and i find out i cant even do anything with the credits diploma/certificate they've given me lol!

If you have any recommendations to any good school around Vancouver, BC canada i would really appreciate your helpp!! Thank you so much! :)

I just dont want to go to a wrong school...where they take all my money and i find out i cant even do anything with the credits diploma/certificate they've given me lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

NK in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Hey!!!

does it matter if i do my LPN at any college??

I was thinking of getting my LPN and start working...and once i have my LPN i would liek to start the RN program... if i get my LPN at any random college will i still be able to upgrade to an RN in a better uni?? Or will they not accept the LPN?? OR does it depend on the school i got my LPN? Whats the deal?? Does the college i go for to take my LPN have a huge affect if the end result is to get my RN? I want to be able to get a good job...i dont want the school i go to put me back! :)

I just dont want to go to a wrong school...where they take all my money and i find out i cant even do anything with the credits diploma/certificate they've given me lol!

If you have any recommendations to any good school around Vancouver, BC canada i would really appreciate your helpp!! Thank you so much! :)

I just dont want to go to a wrong school...where they take all my money and i find out i cant even do anything with the credits diploma/certificate they've given me lol

Always ask the school you may want to transfer credits to, if they will accept your credits from a previous school. Ask, what credits, what the grade cut off is, and the time frame for transferring. Be very specific about the classes and grades you want to transfer( schools may say yes they accept transfers from another school but may not accept ALL credits). Never, ever ask a school you are attending if another school will take their credits because the will mislead you. If you want to attend college (1) go to the second college you may want to attend at a later date and get your info directly from them. ( remember it is the 2nd college who will decide, not technical school (1) not college (1), not former classmates, friends, family or people on these post. Hopes this helps and do plenty of research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Taurus in California said: ADVICE WANTED FROM NURSES: I am a forty year old male considering nursing school. I don't have a particular affinity for math and science however I am more than willing to go to group studies, work with a tutor, and work as hard as I need to to succeed in nursing prereq classes and nursing school. If I do this my plan is as follows:

1. Get a Clinical Medical Assistant certificate from my local adult school and start work in a medical setting. This would get my foot in the door of the medical field. I also think that this would help me be admitted to and succeed in LVN school.

2. Complete LVN school asap so I can work as a nurse and because I think it would help my admission to and success in RN school.

3. Become an RN asap!

Skip the MA school for sure. Possibly take a LPN course and work for 6 mos to a year then bridge into RN school. If I was to do it all over again,,,I would go straight for RN. Then again I knew without a doubt that I wanted to be a nurse. I went to a LPN program and absolutely no pre-regs were required (1 year full time). Don't worry about the math and science, actually there was only about a week of math. The science you will learn however it won't be easy as it will take study groups, tutors and a lot of sacrifices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

silvermanfamily

57 months ago

So should I skip LPN & go straight for. For RN? My comment is way back but I will be moving around with hubby for military and I want the best approach to doing the schooling in 1 year chunks ggpoing for my BRN. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

silvermanfamily said: So should I skip LPN & go straight for. For RN? My comment is way back but I will be moving around with hubby for military and I want the best approach to doing the schooling in 1 year chunks ggpoing for my BRN. Thanks

The benefit of going to LPN school is..in most cases you can become a LPN in one year, once you graduate and take the NCLEX you'll do fine as far as gaining and staying employed. If you choose to go straight for RN, one you may not have the time to commit to a 4 year or even a 2year program, 2nd you may decide mid-way RN is not for you, or third you may fail. By going into an LPN program, you can become licensed sooner and still gain employment, choosing a time to return for your RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No Reply - Report abuse

beauty123 in Surrey, British Columbia

56 months ago

why do you want to be an lpn? what defines a "good"lpn? what defines a "bad" lpn?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

toppqb in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

i am looking into an lpn program, central susquehanna lpn program to be exact. it is not a actual college but offers straight lpn program which does not go by credits will this affect me if i latter choose to go on for rn since i wont have the credits? or does it just matter that your are already a licensed practical nurse?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Employers will only want to know that you are licensed. I have actually never heard of central susquehanna. I think I understand what you are referring to. I attended a LPN program which required no prior training or pre-reqs, you were trained to be an LPN and required to pass the state broads NCLEX test upon graduation. Just make sure the school is accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

beauty123 in Surrey, British Columbia said: why do you want to be an lpn? what defines a "good"lpn? what defines a "bad" lpn?

Good common sense. Seriously!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mee in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

i am looking into going to school for my lpn. the school is not a college, just a straight lpn program. my question is... can i go on later to get my rn on the advance track, without all the extra classes. lpn to rn? since i wont have the actual straight credits to show. as u get when you are in college, there will be no transfer credits. i know employers wont care how you got your lpn. just wondering how it works when and if i choose to further my career from lpn to rn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

christen_nicole in Weatherford, Oklahoma

51 months ago

So does being an lpn take of any school time for becoming an rn?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kch32 in Wartburg, Tennessee

49 months ago

I am currently enrolled in an LPN Program at the Tennessee Technology Center. It is a one year program that focuses only on LPN and nursing. It is very intense and fast past, but anyone who sets their mind to it can do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

current college student

47 months ago

I am 26 years old and recently returned to school... for my first semester I am taking basics and have not yet declared a major. I have been torn between nursing or social work and am doing my best to research my options. Does anyone know of any professions that may incorporate both? If I get my ADN, how much of that credit will go toward a bachelor's degree in social work later? My original plan was to become an LVN and then use that to give me the financial means to further my education. I also have a family in need of financial help ASAP, so I'm in a non-traditional situation. I now know that most LVN program courses are program specific and credit will not carry over. Thus, I probably will not be going that route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jack in Marquand, Missouri

46 months ago

theinfamouswho in Lakeland, Florida said: I am in my late 40's. Is it too late to start some kind of nurses training?

its never to late to do what you wanna do so go for it and pray!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

socialwkr in Missouri

46 months ago

current college student said: I am 26 years old and recently returned to school... for my first semester I am taking basics and have not yet declared a major. I have been torn between nursing or social work and am doing my best to research my options. Does anyone know of any professions that may incorporate both? If I get my ADN, how much of that credit will go toward a bachelor's degree in social work later? My original plan was to become an LVN and then use that to give me the financial means to further my education. I also have a family in need of financial help ASAP, so I'm in a non-traditional situation. I now know that most LVN program courses are program specific and credit will not carry over. Thus, I probably will not be going that route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If your passion is to work in a health-care setting only, you probably want to consider nursing more than social work. If you want to go into the mental health field, counseling, etc..............then social work would be the way to go. Some states though have psychiatric nursing, so that could be a route too. That usually requires a MSN.

I work with nurses, and I know a MSW level social worker who got into a BSN program because the health care field is dominated by nursing. It is very difficult to find social work positions in health-care settings because the positions do not come available too often because people stay.

As a nurse, you will probably have more flexibility in finding a position due to the nursing shortage, different shifts you can work, etc. I know social workers who cannot find a job in health-care settings.

For those who can do the LPN course in one year, that is a great way to get to work in a less amount of time. Some hospitals pay LPN's to get their BSN too. Some School of Nursing programs have a LPN bridge program to RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BellaRN in Albemarle, North Carolina

45 months ago

What type of company are you starting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.