RN or MLT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

rick in Tucson, Arizona

50 months ago

should I go to nursing school or be an MLT (medical laboratory technician)??? MLT pays significantly less (about 16.00-18.00/hour to start), but has zero patient contact.

Off the top of my head, I would say patient contact would not bother me, but I have never experienced it first hand. I worked in a lab and I didn't really like it or thought it was OK at best. I didn't like being stuck on the bench all day.

Oh, and I don't have time to be a LVN or PCT first - I need to pick one or the other in like the next few weeks.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cris in Annandale, Virginia

50 months ago

hey rick, great question! I am started to think of that too not too long ago. Why not something in between? Like a MT, medical technician which cross trains with phlebotomy and lab stuff? So that way you two of both worlds. I am a phlebotomist now and was exposed to the lab and thought it was really cool. But you are right, I like to move around and walk/run, so I liked going to inpatient and outpatient settings. Have you thought of something else besides that? PA? perhaps?

rick in Tucson, Arizona said: should I go to nursing school or be an MLT (medical laboratory technician)??? MLT pays significantly less (about 16.00-18.00/hour to start), but has zero patient contact.

Off the top of my head, I would say patient contact would not bother me, but I have never experienced it first hand. I worked in a lab and I didn't really like it or thought it was OK at best. I didn't like being stuck on the bench all day.

Oh, and I don't have time to be a LVN or PCT first - I need to pick one or the other in like the next few weeks.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shannon in Mandeville, Louisiana

50 months ago

I'm a med tech. Not exactly an MLT because they have associate's degrees and I have a bachelor's degree but it's the same area. Honestly, I think it's a great field. The only thing people really complain about is the pay; it could be higher, but the work isn't bad and the stress level is much lower than I'd think nursing would be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bailey10 in Phoenix

49 months ago

[HQUOTE who="shannon in Mandeville, Louisiana"]I'm a med tech. Not exactly an MLT because they have associate's degrees and I have a bachelor's degree but it's the same area. Honestly, I think it's a great field. The only thing people really complain about is the pay; it could be higher, but the work isn't bad and the stress level is much lower than I'd think nursing would be.[/QUOTE

I have heard a lot of mlt aren't very appreciated. Is this true? How much do new grads usually get paid for both MT and MLT?

Bailey10 in Phoenix

49 months ago

Has anyone been laid off from this type of job?

chefcookie1 in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

Hey Rick
Why would you even consider spending the time and energy to become a MLT if you didn't even like working in the lab? I'm confused as to why you even considered this position being that you spend a large part of your life at work. You can make decent money but if you don't enjoy what you do, you might slack off and not be as accurate as you need to be. Like people that go into nursing JUST for the money...they turn out to be the bad apples of the field and that is sad. Also, nursing is for people who are compassionate and caring and are good at putting people at ease. Who are willing to clean up vomit (if needed on occasion) and insert catheders. I'm just being completely honest with you. From what you have said, it doesn't sound like either position is a good fit for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

chefcookie1 in Los Angeles, California

49 months ago

Rick,
I did want to add that I'm not trying to say that you wouldn't be good at either position but it just doesn't seem like you have the passion for either position. The medical field is challenging, demanding, and can be stressful. It takes a certain kind of person to thrive in this type of environment. You should have a clear reason for why you want this type of work. Others can't answer this for you. good luck at whatever you choose and please, give it your very best

Amy in Cleveland, Ohio

46 months ago

Hello, I am studying for my MLT degree. I don't think you should go for MLT unless you like working in the lab. You should volunteer at a hospital or call up and ask them if you can be paired with a nurse to see what really happens. You may change your mind after you see it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

joy2theworld8 in Mattoon, Illinois

27 months ago

rick in Tucson, Arizona said: should I go to nursing school or be an MLT (medical laboratory technician )??? MLT pays significantly less (about 16.00-18.00/hour to start), but has zero patient contact.

thanks

I know the original message here is rather old, but in case someone else is reading I will post my thoughts and experiences. Please, please, please don't go into something you don't like or only like passably well. It will show. You will not thrive. You will most likely eventually hate it and you won't do a good job. Did I mention, it will show? I know a lot of the jobs right now are in healthcare and it is so tempting to go only where the jobs are, only for the money, but please go get some assessments done at a local college or career counselor. Find out what it is that you're interested in, what your natural "bent" is, make some decisions about how long you're able to go to school and go from there. I spent too many years in jobs I hated. Not to beat a dead horse, but it WILL show if you don't like your work. I've been there, done that, and I know what I'm talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.