RN school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Mabi in Nashua, New Hampshire

89 months ago

i was wondering how hard is it to go to school to become an RN...i would love to go after im done with MA degree...Mabi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Woodinville, Washington

88 months ago

Being a RN with a BSN myself, I think it is important to consider a BSN degree for several reasons. The job opportunities are more than what you will find with an AA degree. You will probably pay for the extra schooling within a year of working as you will make alot more money. The level of responsibility and the amount of actual helping of people is great with the higher degree.

If you have a BA already you are half way there. In fact there are many schools to choose from. Even if there isn't one in your area, you can alway learn online and do your clinicals locally. It is a common practice today.

In fact, there are some very good nursing school that you can attend online.

Either way, make sure your school is accredited, and attend a school that is regionally accredited. Otherwise you risk not having your license recognized or if you want to go back to school later for an MSN, having your college credits count.

Here's some information you might be interested in:

What you should know about accreditation - www.jobs-in-registered-nursing.com/articles/educational-accreditation.html

Five Steps to Figuring Out Accreditation - www.jobs-in-registered-nursing.com/articles/five-steps-to-accreditation.html

Online Nursing Schools - www.jobs-in-registered-nursing.com/online-nursing-schools.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon Hall in Mount Sterling, Kentucky

88 months ago

difference between an RN and RN/BSN is around .50/hour to start. As far as job oppurtunities such as being house supervisor in the future, your chances may be a littel greater if you have a BSN. I know RN's who have an Associate's in Nursing and have become head RN's in Trauma, OR, ER and Med/Surg. RN is RN no matter how you look at it. If you have a registered nurse license, you are a registered nurse. When you interview for a nursing position, you are required to put down your license number and so on. There is a field where you can put where you obtained your higher education, but you can opt to leave this field blank, as long as you have that license number and nothing negative on your background, you should have no problem recieving great pay and benefits. THe only difference between RN and RN/BSN other than the .50/hr to start is a RN/BSN takes more community based clinicals and thats about it. I know this for a fact. Why else would RN with an Associate's degree be out there if it wasn't the same license. Just think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida

86 months ago

Brandon Hall in Mount Sterling, Kentucky said: difference between an RN and RN/BSN is around .50/hour to start. As far as job oppurtunities such as being house supervisor in the future, your chances may be a littel greater if you have a BSN. I know RN's who have an Associate's in Nursing and have become head RN's in Trauma, OR, ER and Med/Surg. RN is RN no matter how you look at it. If you have a registered nurse license, you are a registered nurse. When you interview for a nursing position, you are required to put down your license number and so on. There is a field where you can put where you obtained your higher education, but you can opt to leave this field blank, as long as you have that license number and nothing negative on your background, you should have no problem recieving great pay and benefits. THe only difference between RN and RN/BSN other than the .50/hr to start is a RN/BSN takes more community based clinicals and thats about it. I know this for a fact. Why else would RN with an Associate's degree be out there if it wasn't the same license. Just think about it.

Hi, I'm a dental hygienist and it's very hard finding a job over here and I 'm considering of becoming an RN. I would like to know 4 CONS and 4 PROS as an RN. I don't want to jump back to school and make the same mistake again. I didn't realize that dentists and dental hygienist have something against one another. It seems like they are trying ot phase out dental hygienist, which is sad because I love what I do, but I can't find work!! I receive 4 calles out of 200 resumes I faxed out last month.

Again, please tell me the 4 cons and 4 pros as an RN. I just wish someone told me the real truth about being a hygienist before I enter hygiene school 3 years ago. THanks...........

THank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Runsha in Dallas, Texas

86 months ago

I am currently finishing up my pre-requistes for nursing....I am wondering how hard is nursing school? What happens if u don't get accepted into a nursing program, there seems to be so much competion. I have heard so many horror stories and want to make the right career choice...I really want to become a nurse. can any nurses please give me some insight??
thanks a bunch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Susie Conrad in Welland, Ontario

85 months ago

I agree...I have been out of high school for two years now. Last year I took a 1 year pre-health science program to receive the minimum admission requirements that I would need to get into any health care program and this year I am still trying to upgrade my biology! I really have no clue which program I want to do.. Dental Hygiene? Nursing? Dental Assisting? Eek it's soo hard to make the decision. I know all of them come with pros and cons. I would really like to get into Dental Hygiene since the pay is great and you get to work great, flexible hours as compared to Nursing you have to work probably all the holidays, as well as you might have to work night shifs, I'm not sure I could do that, plus I don't think I could give a needle? I just wish someone would tell me what to do haha. I have no clue which program I want to get myself into!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brean in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Susie Conrad in Welland, Ontario said: I agree...I have been out of high school for two years now. Last year I took a 1 year pre-health science program to receive the minimum admission requirements that I would need to get into any health care program and this year I am still trying to upgrade my biology! I really have no clue which program I want to do.. Dental Hygiene? Nursing? Dental Assisting? Eek it's soo hard to make the decision. I know all of them come with pros and cons. I would really like to get into Dental Hygiene since the pay is great and you get to work great, flexible hours as compared to Nursing you have to work probably all the holidays, as well as you might have to work night shifs, I'm not sure I could do that, plus I don't think I could give a needle? I just wish someone would tell me what to do haha. I have no clue which program I want to get myself into!!

i am a dental assistant, i work 10 hours a day 5 days a week, part time in another office and im getting 12/hr. and my boss has temper problems! it's really stressful for me.. i believe that in this field, u really have to find a boss that you're comfortable with because you're going to work with him/her all day. and the work itself? its really boring for me. if you consider this course, dont go to private schools. it's expensive and its not worth it (i thought).

Jackson in Fresno, California

84 months ago

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I've got plenty to ask. To become an RN, what are the possible colleges, schools, or medical academies that you could attend? I need options from five to twenty, if not at least one. It would be widely appreciated. Thanks.

Thug Life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elli in Madison, Wisconsin

84 months ago

I'm just about finished with a BS in art with a graphic design emphasis.

I am very interested in becoming a nurse. Does anyone know where to start? Should I approach nursing school differently after having received a BS degree?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nursing RN, BSN in Woodinville, Washington

84 months ago

There are many avenues to toward getting started in nursing. If you need to get your feet wet, want to start as soon as possible with the least amount of expense, or if you want to start with more responsibility, you will need more schooling and the expense to get started will be more. There isn't enough space here (they only allow so many words) I've tried, so here is some info and also some urls for you to explore.

How to Become a Nurse: www.my-nursing-career.com/career-support/top-five-nursing-specialities.html
LPN Salary, Education, and Employment Review: www.my-nursing-career.com/nursing-degrees/lpn-lvn-nursing-careers.html
RN Salary, Education and Employment Review: www.my-nursing-career.com/nursing-degrees/registered-nursing-rn-career-outlook.html

The easiest way to get in is to become a CNA. You can get classes at a vocational or community college.

The second way is to become an LPN. You can get classes also at vocational or community colleges.

You can become an RN with an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) 2 years at a community college.

After that you can explore other opportunities.

An Online LPN To RN degree programs now make it possible for LPN's to continue their career while they pursue higher education. Working LPNs can earn an Associate degree in Nursing or Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree online

Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN Degree): Provides the basic level of education to practice as a professional Registered Nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elli in Madison, Wisconsin

84 months ago

Thank you very much for your helpful information.

bob in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

im 40 yrs old. is it too late to go back to school and become an rn? w3as there any older students when you went to school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nursing RN, BSN in Woodinville, Washington

84 months ago

I don't think starting a new career at 40 is too late.

Nursing is a great career. According to the BLS, there will be great demand for nurses until 2014 and beyond. With older nurses retiring, the baby boomers getting older, the nation can't produce enough nurses.

While age isn't supposed to be an issue, we all know that it is, but for nurses, not only do I find it not an issue, the nursing shortage will make any ageism a lower priority than having a good nurse on board.

One great thing about nursing as a career is that it has a built way to advance in small manageable steps. From CNA to LNP to RN and beyond.

You can get started in nursing in as little as 75 hours of training to become a CNA. With another 35 hours you can work in home health. It is a great way to see if you like nursing.

And paying for a nursing education is easier than ever.

I just wrote an article about how to pay for nursing school. Seriously, it is everything you need to know from loans and grants to tuition reimbursement and tax credits and scholarships: my-nursing-career.com/blog/.

Nursing is a great profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

mmg in madison, New Jersey

83 months ago

I am having difficutly deciding whether it's worth it to go to nursing school. I am 53 and already have a BS degree in business. I just recently became an EMT and have started A&P1, which I love. I've called the HR dept at a couple of hospitals who said the nursing field is becoming flooded with applicants. They are looking heavily at GPA's and taking only the best students. I'm looking into accelerated BSN programs, but this will still take me 3 years to totally complete. At 56 years old, I'm worried I won't be able to find a job. I have a great amount of energy, and look in my late 30's. Please give me advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie in Fort Worth, Texas

83 months ago

Susie Conrad in Welland, Ontario said: I agree...I have been out of high school for two years now. Last year I took a 1 year pre-health science program to receive the minimum admission requirements that I would need to get into any health care program and this year I am still trying to upgrade my biology! I really have no clue which program I want to do.. Dental Hygiene? Nursing? Dental Assisting? Eek it's soo hard to make the decision. I know all of them come with pros and cons. I would really like to get into Dental Hygiene since the pay is great and you get to work great, flexible hours as compared to Nursing you have to work probably all the holidays, as well as you might have to work night shifs, I'm not sure I could do that, plus I don't think I could give a needle? I just wish someone would tell me what to do haha. I have no clue which program I want to get myself into!!

I paid almost $10K to Concorde Career Institute in Arlington, Texas. I had one of the highest grades in my class when I graduated from the Dental Assisting program 2 years ago. There's a BIG problem around here. All the "trade" schools are pumping out DA's so fast there are not enough jobs to go around! I thought I would have no problem finding a job...WRONG! When I finally did get offered a job they only wanted to pay be 8/9/10 an hour! The admission rep said we should START at $15/hr at least. They lied. Shame on me too, I didn't research it thouroughly. I then thought about Dental Hygeine and thought I would get bored doing the same thing over and over every day. I think a nursing degree is the way to go. Think of all the endless room for growth and learning? If you don't like the ER you and can do pediatrics, oncology, OR, L&D....etc. The possibilites are endless. I have looked high and low for the "fast track"...there really isn't one if you want to further your education. You just have to make your mind up and do it. It may take awhile but one class down is one less..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

EMT 5233 in New Holstein, Wisconsin

83 months ago

Mabi in Nashua, New Hampshire said: i was wondering how hard is it to go to school to become an RN...i would love to go after im done with MA degree...Mabi

I have been in school 3 yrs myself for nursing i have also completed my EMT-B while in nursing school and curently work as an EMT typicaly 36 hrs a week. I would have to say nursing school is very demanding and takes almost every secong of free time i have and i would not be able to do it if i would be working for a service that had alot of run volume. I enjoy challenges but i also struggle alot.
Most of the students in my class do not have jobs and also say they are struggling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jtwila in Yuma, Arizona

83 months ago

If you are interested in becoming a nurse dont let your age stop you! We only have so long on this earth and we are lucky if we get to do something that we love to do, that pays and helps other people. I am an LPN going back to Rn school now. Yes, there are a lot of applicants but after testing, screening and reviewing of GPAs a lot of candidates are weeded out. I tested with 300 people for LPN school and got accepted into a class of 25. Point is I never thought I would get in but I did - you just have to try. Also in the start of my LPN class and RN pre-req classes I was/am an older student; but us oldies are driven and keep at it and as the classes wind down there are just as many of us Non- traditional students completing the course as younger students. Just try! If you don't like it or you fail you can always go back to what you are doing now.. Take a chance on nursing! It is the only job I have ever had that stresses me out but at the same time makes me feel proud - because at the end of your shift you can know you made a diference! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing in Hollywood, Florida

83 months ago

jtwila in Yuma, Arizona said: If you are interested in becoming a nurse dont let your age stop you! We only have so long on this earth and we are lucky if we get to do something that we love to do, that pays and helps other people. I am an LPN going back to Rn school now. Yes, there are a lot of applicants but after testing, screening and reviewing of GPAs a lot of candidates are weeded out. I tested with 300 people for LPN school and got accepted into a class of 25. Point is I never thought I would get in but I did - you just have to try. Also in the start of my LPN class and RN pre-req classes I was/am an older student; but us oldies are driven and keep at it and as the classes wind down there are just as many of us Non- traditional students completing the course as younger students. Just try! If you don't like it or you fail you can always go back to what you are doing now.. Take a chance on nursing! It is the only job I have ever had that stresses me out but at the same time makes me feel proud - because at the end of your shift you can know you made a diference! Good Luck!

hi,

I'm a dental hygienist in Fort Lauderdale, Fl and the market in this state is HORRIBLE, I'm very depress because jobs are so very difficult to find and 90% of the dentist don't offer medical or 401 or anything. I have been out of work for many months and temp. agency doesn't call very often , because there are just too many of us looking for work. I'm seriously thinking about working at Target or Walmart or waittressing to support myself. This is CRAZY !! At the moment, i'm taking nursing skills and human growth and development for rn program. I hear alot about nurses being call in to court and being sue, I'm really scare of that aspect of nursing and the admin. the right amount of medication to the patient. I don't want to get sue or give out wrong amount of meds.

jtwila in Yuma, Arizona

83 months ago

ibflossing in Hollywood, Florida said: hi,

I'm a dental hygienist in Fort Lauderdale, Fl and the market in this state is HORRIBLE, I'm very depress because jobs are so very difficult to find and 90% of the dentist don't offer medical or 401 or anything. I have been out of work for many months and temp. agency doesn't call very often , because there are just too many of us looking for work. I'm seriously thinking about working at Target or Walmart or waittressing to support myself. This is CRAZY !! At the moment, i'm taking nursing skills and human growth and development for rn program. I hear alot about nurses being call in to court and being sue, I'm really scare of that aspect of nursing and the admin. the right amount of medication to the patient. I don't want to get sue or give out wrong amount of meds.

Have you looked into other parts of the country to work as a hygienist. If you can or would move, I know other parts of the country have a shortage of hygienists. Good luck.

Danielle in Kennesaw, Georgia

82 months ago

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida said: Hi, I'm a dental hygienist and it's very hard finding a job over here and I 'm considering of becoming an RN. I would like to know 4 CONS and 4 PROS as an RN. I don't want to jump back to school and make the same mistake again. I didn't realize that dentists and dental hygienist have something against one another. It seems like they are trying ot phase out dental hygienist, which is sad because I love what I do, but I can't find work!! I receive 4 calles out of 200 resumes I faxed out last month.

Again, please tell me the 4 cons and 4 pros as an RN. I just wish someone told me the real truth about being a hygienist before I enter hygiene school 3 years ago. THanks...........

THank you

_ I understand how you feel. I went to Medical Assisting School for a year and I can't find a job. I'm about to start going to college for RN/BSN. Four pros to me for nursing are 1. there are flexible hours, think about it. You can work at any time of the day or week if you needed to. Usually they are 12 hour shifts, 3 days a week.
2. If you get your bachelors, your only two years away from becoming a nurse practitioner. In Ga, they can diagnose, treat, and prescribe.
3. A higher sense of self worth. (at least for me)
4. Respected proffesion where there is always more room to grow and learn.
CONS
1. You might have to work holidays.
2. Nursing school is very competitive to get accepted to.
3. It's a college degree, it's going to be hard.
4. Working with physicians isn't always great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

reba ky in Erlanger, Kentucky

81 months ago

I am an LPN currently. I want to finish my RN desperately as it will open up so many more doors. I am having the delemma of when will I be able to work. The programs are M-F. I could work on weekends but where I work they do 12 hour shifts. So that is only 24 hours a week. My other option is to drag out the program and go to school 9-1pm three days a week then have clinicals 7-330 on two days a week. On the 9-1 days I could work 3-1130 somewhere but then I would not get home until midnight and would have to be up again to do it all the next day. I am so discouraged because I must work. Someone suggested doing the Galen Health Technologies program which is one year and working the 12 hour weekends. Then take out a loan to cover the additional money I would need to make sure my mortgage was covered. Most hospitals in my area have loan forgiveness plans for committment. Has anyone else been through this? Anyone have any suggestions? I am at my wits end trying to make sure I can do this.

Nurse Educator, RN, MSN in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

I started as an LPN and the really nice thing about nursing schools today is that many fully accredited nursing programs are now offered online. You've already fulfilled the majority of your clinicals, and an out of state or online nursing program allow you to finish your academic requirements and finish off your clinicals locally.

Go to class whenever or where ever an Internet connection is available. View lectures over and over again.

Online schools have come of age and some of the best nursing schools offer their programs online: www.my-nursing-career.com/nursing-degrees/index.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

td1 in san diego, California

81 months ago

hello all....im encouraged to hear and see that others are considering and entering the nursing profession who are in their 40s (and above)....sure we are older, but we have many gifts that younger wokers dont have....mainly MATURITY and EXPERIENCE within the workplace. personally, i have some challenges before me (belmished backround, bad credit, divorced....ect)....but that was in the past, if i focus on the negative, i can expect negative results, trust that if i do the footwork that all else will follow, you can as well.....all said no matter what your age, what your situation, challenges or conditions.....if ones mind and soul is in the right place, do the footwork and all will be well and taken care of........go for it!!! i am!!

td

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Melbourne, Florida

80 months ago

I am 48 years old and I will be starting a Hybrid RN program at Brevard Community College. I am a paramedic and this program is for one year. I start in May and am excited that I am finally going to do this. I am older, but the way I look at it, I have many many years to work. My mom is 73 and she still works part time. I figure with an RN there will always be sometime of work available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

td1 in san diego, California

80 months ago

[QUOTE]I am 48 years old and I will be starting a Hybrid RN program {/quote]

what is a "hybrid" RN program?

[quote]I am older, but the way I look at it, I have many many years to work.

i feel the same way.....its all a matter of perspective.....one could say i cant get a job because im

inexperienced, overqualified, overqualified, too young, too old, not what i want to do, not enough money, too much money, too much responsibility, too little....ect....

they may be true...for a particular position....but there others that we can fill.....and healthcare feels right for me.....for so many years i beleived the male programming of "we are taken care of...we dont take care of".....men are doctors not nurses....in believing that typpe of BS i continued to work in construction my whole life...."men build things"...bla, bla, bla....i have discovered that its my nature to nurture, to help, be of assistance and take care.....and im very happy with that revelation....now to just put it to use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sunny in Ames, Iowa

80 months ago

Of the professions you have listed, I would definetly choose RN. Im older but became an RN a few years ago. Those other jobs you listed will not give you as much flexibility in the long run and will not pay as well. Nursing is in high demand and wide open. You have many options nation and world wide as an RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Durham, North Carolina

80 months ago

I am taking my ged now and then want to go to school for RN. I fear getting rejected into the program. I've heard that its really hard. What is the first step that I have to do. Should I take a cna course first than work my way up from there?

sunny in Ames, Iowa

80 months ago

Denise in Durham, North Carolina said: I am taking my ged now and then want to go to school for RN. I fear getting rejected into the program. I've heard that its really hard. What is the first step that I have to do. Should I take a cna course first than work my way up from there?

Dont let your fears determine what you will or will not do or become. This behavior will only lead to a lifetime full regrets. Things that are worth taking a chance on are usually scary! You are young. If you work hard, even if you are not the "best student" your work will pay off, and more importantly, you hopefully will grow and become a compassionate,caring, educated Registered Nurse. You could take a CNA course if you would like, some programs may even require it. Personally i dont believe it is necessary. Find out what the program you are considering requires and get enrolled in the classes. Check into the hospitals in your area as many hospitals are now paying to send people to school for a comittment of one to two years. After all, your first year on the floor is somewhat an extension of your training. You will learn the basics of nursing, much of what you will not get in school. A Nurse is a Nurse almost everywhere in the world. Find support, network with your nursing school peers and just do it. It will go faster than you can imagine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eugene

80 months ago

I have a question, im a CNA since 1995 from a GREAT school in NYC , now my question is the following ... I never worked in nursing since i got my certification in 1995 because i was working for family and it ended up being a permanent thing , well i now work in the environmental field for about 6 yrs , im a single dad and i just moved to South Florida and would love to do CNA as part time or weekend just to get hands on but i dont have any experience what so ever,how should i start?, should i take a refresher program? or do i have to be Florida state certified?..
IF THINGS GO WELL IM MIGHT GO FOR LPN ....RN , I KNOW SOME MIGHT SAY ITS A WOMANS JOB , BUT I DONT THINK THAT WAY AND BY the WAY.. NO IM NOT GAY.
I just rather have a job where i can have time for my kid and not being on call like my current job, it pays great but i hate the fact that i have to cancel activities with my kid at last minute and living on call and working 80+ hours is killing me.
One of the main reason i moved here from NYC is to live a more relaxed life with my kid and ill sacrafice a few weekends just have time with him at the long run.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eugene

80 months ago

I have a question, im a CNA since 1995 from a GREAT school in NYC , now my question is the following ... I never worked in nursing since i got my certification in 1995 because i was working for family and it ended up being a permanent thing , well i now work in the environmental field for about 6 yrs , im a single dad and i just moved to South Florida and would love to do CNA as part time or weekend just to get hands on but i dont have any experience what so ever,how should i start?, should i take a refresher program? or do i have to be Florida state certified?..
IF THINGS GO WELL IM MIGHT GO FOR LPN ....RN , I KNOW SOME MIGHT SAY ITS A WOMANS JOB , BUT I DONT THINK THAT WAY AND BY the WAY.. NO IM NOT GAY.
I just rather have a job where i can have time for my kid and not being on call like my current job, it pays great but i hate the fact that i have to cancel activities with my kid at last minute and living on call and working 80+ hours is killing me.
One of the main reason i moved here from NYC is to live a more relaxed life with my kid and ill sacrafice a few weekends just have time with him at the long run.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Bobi Jo in Sandy, Utah

79 months ago

bob in Chicago, Illinois said: im 40 yrs old. is it too late to go back to school and become an rn? w3as there any older students when you went to school?

I just finished my program for my CNA, during my clinicals I came across a man who just five years ago got his RN and he's been retired for some time. Just got stir crazy. He seems to really enjoy what he's doing. I definitely agree, it's never too late to learn something new.

BJ

Sydney Archer in Rochester, New York

79 months ago

I think nursing is my calling but I just haven't gotten the courage to make that step in the nursing direction. From what I have read here that there are plenty of people that have gone into nursing later in life....that is encouraging. I also agree that it is never to late do pursue something that you want to do. How easy was it for you to find a job that was close to your home when you were on the job hunt? Did you have to settle for something because you needed a job or did you find something close to home or something that you had interest in like a traveling nurse? I would love to here your stories about your job hunt and what I could possibly expect. Thanks

angelina cook in annapolis, Maryland

79 months ago

I hear alot about nurses being call in to court and being sue, I'm really scare of that aspect of nursing and the admin. the right amount of medication to the patient. I don't want to get sue or give out wrong amount of meds.

Hi, Im in the Navy as a Corpsman which is equivalant to an LPN. which there is no way you can give out wrong med dosage or med if you just read the order which the doctor gives you it has it all on there but on the other hand with the wrong dosage.. yea thats possible if you calculate wrong which is someone being careless. but in school you learn all the formulas for dosage calculation and what not so not much to worry about

denise in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

So how many door open up for an older american women who changed careers late in life . by the time i graduate i should be 48 years old. im compationate,always willing to learn something new,always there to help. its not all about the money i want to make a differnce. i want to help. understand i have no medical backround and this is my first time going to college. im loving it.

Tina in Chillicothe, Illinois

78 months ago

I am fifty years old. I just got my Ged for my 50th Birthday . I did pretty well for just walking in off the street and signing up to take the test. family history of nursing. I was a CNA for several years then went another direction career wise because of no GED. Now,i have been beating the pavement trying to get into nursing school. As a rule i never liked RN's as i found them to be mostly cold and rude to work with. I am finding that now in rying to discuss getting into the program at most schools . They seem to be so "underwhelmed" with me wanting to try to get my degree. I was so excited and now i am about to give up and go into something else. Should i just give up and leave a spot for the younger ones who don't mind fighting through rudeness for six months before they are accepted as "one of the team" and respected a small amount at best? I am smart, i am energetic, i want to get into a program without someone rolling their eyes at me and telling me it will be 2010 at least before i get in and then it prob. won't happen. Why are nurses in general jerks? Sorry, I am just discouraged. I have a couple of certificates and an Illinois licence in another field that didn't require me to get my GED from years ago. I know i'm smart enough to do this too. It's not that. Help!

Tina in Chillicothe, Illinois

78 months ago

denise in Miami, Florida said: So how many door open up for an older american women who changed careers late in life . by the time i graduate i should be 48 years old. im compationate,always willing to learn something new,always there to help. its not all about the money i want to make a differnce. i want to help. understand i have no medical backround and this is my first time going to college. im loving it.
I am fifty and my Sister in Law is forty eight. she and i have been really working hard trying to find a school to accept us before we are dead from old age. It's really been a mess. We have one more option today and then we will prob. give up and go into another field. I actually reported an admissions person to the college administrator yesterday because the woman was EXTREMELY(!!!!!!) slow, cold and negative about signing us up for fall 2009 classes. She discovered that our tuition would be double as we were out of the district and jumped up and got so happy you'd have thought she had just been given a paid vacation. She was so happy to tell us we were out of district and to tell us we could not afford this(which we both could have managed it) Sheesh!!!

Rose in Alpharetta, Georgia

66 months ago

I recently had a conversation with a friend that knows someone (age 45) that recently got her RN degree. She stated that she had a lot of trouble finding a nursing job as all the jobs required experience. I am concerned about going to school for my RN as I too am 45 and am afraid I may not be able to find work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JJOHN in Spring, Texas

56 months ago

Hi guys I am 30 yrs old male and i really like to go to rn school but I got a poor high school gpa. Could I enter RN school wth poor high school gpa? sholud i go to the LPN school then go to LPN to RN degree program? I really need some advice THANKS A LOT

punix0583 in Horseheads, New York

56 months ago

JJOHN in Spring, Texas said: Hi guys I am 30 yrs old male and i really like to go to rn school but I got a poor high school gpa. Could I enter RN school wth poor high school gpa? sholud i go to the LPN school then go to LPN to RN degree program? I really need some advice THANKS A LOT

Yes you can, send me a private email and i will give you some info.

dancersmom43@yahoo.com in Logan, Ohio

55 months ago

hi, i too are 50 years old and afraid to go to school for lpn. iam so afraid that i will not have enough money to support my daughter and my self while going. i love the health field and have been a na for 20 years. i have always wanted to go to school to become a nurse, i have a chance to know but not sure if i can go to school full time and work two days a week.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.