References on Job Applications

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

anonymous in Odenton, Maryland

12 months ago

I find that when applying for registered nurse jobs online, many ask for three references before they even decide if they want to interview. References where they want to know how many years have known you. Not employment references. I find this practice absolutely abhorrent. First of all, after years of schooling, years of experience, an easy method to search license information for any "black marks" on your record, it all comes down to personal references...still??? I refuse to apply for jobs that have this requirement. And nursing is a backstabbing profession....it is all about popularity and networking. I have been asked to be used for a "personal reference" and agreed...then when payback time came...I received no response from those that I gave a reference to.

I am curious to know if any others have run into the same situation. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

anonymous in Odenton, Maryland said: I find that when applying for registered nurse jobs online, many ask for three references before they even decide if they want to interview. References where they want to know how many years have known you. Not employment references. I find this practice absolutely abhorrent. First of all, after years of schooling, years of experience, an easy method to search license information for any "black marks" on your record, it all comes down to personal references...still??? I refuse to apply for jobs that have this requirement. And nursing is a backstabbing profession....it is all about popularity and networking. I have been asked to be used for a "personal reference" and agreed...then when payback time came...I received no response from those that I gave a reference to.

This is true in almost any field now if you are applying via the front door - an online app. Its the darkside of the technology.

Also watch out for the "Do you know anyone who currently works at _______?" Your answer is interpreted differently today. A personal thumbs up from someone on the inside gets you 10 extra points. Minuse 10 if you don't.

Guest in Riverside, New Jersey

4 months ago

anonymous in Odenton, Maryland said: I find that when applying for registered nurse jobs online, many ask for three references before they even decide if they want to interview. References where they want to know how many years have known you. Not employment references. I find this practice absolutely abhorrent. First of all, after years of schooling, years of experience, an easy method to search license information for any "black marks" on your record, it all comes down to personal references...still??? I refuse to apply for jobs that have this requirement. And nursing is a backstabbing profession....it is all about popularity and networking. I have been asked to be used for a "personal reference" and agreed...then when payback time came...I received no response from those that I gave a reference to.

It is against the law to try to circumvent Human Resources and speak with a direct supervisor, but obviously, every employer is doing it and the Dept. of Labor is being lax on stopping this practice. I have seen BSN new grads make medication errors--no problem. An experienced nurse with a big mouth is drawn and quartered. Welcome to slavery America, 2013. One peep and your career is destroyed.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.