Anyone Sick of the healthcare system....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Tys nana in Edmond, Oklahoma

75 months ago

Have been in the nursing profession for 34 yrs and totally burned out... Was a Case Manager for insurance companies.
Made a career change and loving it.
Anyone out there who feeels the same way???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

J Bach in Jackson, Michigan

74 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cveller in Clearwater, Florida

69 months ago

Tys nana in Edmond, Oklahoma said: Have been in the nursing profession for 34 yrs and totally burned out... Was a Case Manager for insurance companies.

Yes, I am sick to dead, and I mean that literly, of trying to make a difference without any pervail. I've been taking care of the elderly for 24 years now. And know one appericates it. The pay is terrible, the hours are worse. What have I gotten, grief. No benefits, No Insurance, nothing to retire on. Just a title.
Every where I have worked it has been cut throat between employees. Not team work. Even the R.N.'s were cut throat. So why did I want to continue my education. Yes I am Burnt. I want to change my career to any thing but hands on. I have held so many hands and said so many good-bys I am sick of it. DONE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

gypsy in San Rafael, California

69 months ago

What job did you change to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Birmingham, Alabama

65 months ago

Tys nana in Edmond, Oklahoma said: Have been in the nursing profession for 34 yrs and totally burned out... Was a Case Manager for insurance companies.

Oh yes...good for you! Nursing has diminished in every way possible - there are exceptions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

yes, nursing has been diminished with a few exceptions - very sad - all that education

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

To nurse in Clearwater - hate that happened to you & I believe every single word too. I'm a CNS with 2 master's in nursing. This profession does not meet my definition of a profession either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donna G in Braintree, Massachusetts

59 months ago

I agree with you all...talk about a burn out!! I was so overworked and understaffed at an assisted living in Ma I started having panic attacks and ignored them until one day I was sent out from work to the ER with a b/p of 190 and face numbness. I have been out of work for 2 months in therapy and feeling better but need to make a career change but of course where do you make the money you make in nursing?
I am an LPN for 25 years...does anyone have any ideas...re: insurance companies etc.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aeromedicina in Van Nuys airport, California

56 months ago

Burnout happens in every career field and nursing is not alone in the process. What we sometimes forget is that those skills do come in handy when making career changes or changing from one area of nursing to others.

I can ofer an alternative to quitting nursing....flight nursing.

However, autonomy and discipline such as that gotten in the ER, ICU, service or PHS, is absolutely necessary. I am willing to give a hgihly electrified RN a chance to charge up his or her life.

No benefits, no schedules, fly when you can but the money is good. And lots of kudos from patients when they arrive safe and improved under our care.

Manny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hodybody in Southlake, Texas

56 months ago

I am in the same boat as you. Tried to get out once and nearly drowned. I don't know how to do anything else. Is your new job healthcare related???
brenda in Texas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RNinDC in Baltimore, Maryland

38 months ago

I have been in healthcare 20 years....Im burnt out....but only in the ER. I am now an Army civilian and very much looking forward to it.

Its a shame we sem to think our job is so thankless....it can be...but who will be there to take care of us if we dont do it for others?? If you want a job that pats you on the back daily...nope, this isnt for you....but I would rather have good karma later than be so self-involved now.

Finishing BSN and ALWAYS want hands on! You think RN is cit throat?? Oh...just wait til you get an office job! Best of luck!

gitana

28 months ago

you are all correct. there is alot to be desired about nursing positions.. i tried many areas and ended up with agencies. some gigs are actually interesting and you always know you are on a temporary assignment so you will be able to leave if you are miserable! have had a chance to travel and actually made some great friends. a real bonus. i also don't know how to do anything else. This might be something to consider for some of you out there. You can do what you know but see some new places and new faces. worth a shot. they are pretty easy to get into and pay is very good. i was ready to give up until i signed up with an agency and hit the road and was pleasantly surprised.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

csomers68@yahoo.com in Show Low, Arizona

11 months ago

I have been a nurse for 18yrs, and trying to change careers. It is not very easy to find an employer to hire me. getting frustrated.

11 months ago

I have been an LPN for 18 yrs and now trying to change careers. Having a hard time. getting frustrated. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

I get it. 18 yrs. sick of politics and paperwork (computer work)

pamsplace7 in Asheville, North Carolina

7 months ago

Wish I had an answer! Looking at all options. Travel Nursing was great! But am too tied to family right now. I am so discouraged and disenchanted with Nursing! I am making the same today that I made when I first started my career in OHIO 20 years ago. Been in North Carolina for 15 years. Now my daughter Recently started her nusring career as an RN ADN. She makes exactly what I do!!!! So much for experience paying off!! Hind site is 20/20, but I wish I had gone into Therapy! OTA PTA makes same as RN and more! MUCH less stress! 8-4/9-5 hours, weekend and holidays off! Better yet how about a Activities Director!!
Fun job doing crafts, decorating for holidays, and going on trips! M-F, holidays off,Pays more than LPN.
I cant think of any job that gets more crap shoveled down to them than a LPN!
}Except CNA{
So listen : if your kick is getting a thrill from power and control become an RN and have LPN's work under you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Burnt out in North Wales, Pennsylvania

4 months ago

cveller in Clearwater, Florida said: Yes, I am sick to dead, and I mean that literly, of trying to make a difference without any pervail. I've been taking care of the elderly for 24 years now. And know one appericates it. The pay is terrible, the hours are worse. What have I gotten, grief. No benefits, No Insurance, nothing to retire on. Just a title.
Every where I have worked it has been cut throat between employees. Not team work. Even the R.N.'s were cut throat. So why did I want to continue my education . Yes I am Burnt. I want to change my career to any thing but hands on. I have held so many hands and said so many good-bys I am sick of it. DONE!

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. I have been an RN for over 25 years. Burnt out. Such passive, aggressive people. Terrible dispositions. I cannot tell you in all my years how few nurses had a descent attitude towards their work. Just listening to them gripe took so much energy out of me and that was just when I would over hear nurses complaining. What about how the patient feels. We have never received the prestige, the respect that we absolutely deserve. Nurses are considered the MOST trusted in ALL of healthcare. Why? well we spend the most time with the patients. We are SO needed but we agree to do too much! Placing our licenses in danger, not to mention the patient or ourselves. We are overworked, understaffed and completely misunderstood. This isn't Boo Hoo it's a growing issue and they aren't being addressed by our so called ANA and other well known entities. Why aren't they speaking out for nurses so that we get a retirement (whether we stayed in one place or moved around/it shouldn't matter). Screen Actor Guild protects all of their actors/actresses no matter where or what they are doing. Nurses NEED this NATIONALLY. To all of your with hearts of Gold I will pray for all of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stresed Nurse in Houston, Texas

4 months ago

I totally feel the same way. I started out as a CNA in 1994 then after 2 years went back to school for nursing. I was really happy and loving what I do. For the past 14years I have been a Peds nurse and it has really taken a toll on me emotionally and mentally. The deaths, the neglect, the family......THE STRESS!!!

I am ready to chuck it all in and do something else. The problem?? Being a nurse for so long I am not really qualified to do anything else and at my age( 45) who wants to start at the bottom and make 16$ an hour?

Good for you. Do you mind telling us what you switched to?

whitenavarre@aol.com in Seminole, Florida

3 months ago

Why do we need so many credentials to get a nursing job when we learned this in nursing school?The entire field has become to impossible to keep up with,

TransitionedRN in Le Sueur, Minnesota

2 months ago

In my late 40's I transitioned out of nursing. In nursing there are alot of different areas to work in camp nursing, school nursing, assisted living residents, community, travel nursing, hospice, hospital, nursing home, organ transplant transport, private nursing, nursing education in colleges, ... Airlines hire flight attendants with nursing experience, as mentioned above insurance companies also hire employees with nursing experience. With the amount of sciences and health classes nurses have had another avenue would be to obtain a teaching license for Jr High, and High School, also could look into Elememtary and higher as substitute teacher. The Temporary employment agencies can help in your transition. You can try out jobs and see what you like, often once you work for someone and they like your work the company can hire you on full time. With this economy it realistically can take upto 3 years to fully transition, so set aside some funds and try not to get discouraged, know it will take steps, brush up on resume writing and interviewing. You will most probably have to change your lifestyle some, find more affordable housing, may have to trade car(s) in for older cheaper models or with better gas mileage, may have to drive a little farther for work, try something new that you think you would like nurses have many skills. I am glad I made the decision and stepped out I've less stressful job and have time for family and friends and have less in material things which has led to a simplier life. It hasn't been easy but for me I would do it again. Best wishes to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

25 days ago

TransitionedRN in Le Sueur, Minnesota said: In my late 40's I transitioned out of nursing. In nursing there are alot of different areas to work in camp nursing, school nursing, assisted living residents, community , travel nursing, hospice , hospital , nursing home, organ transplant transport, private nursing, nursing education in colleges, ... Airlines hire flight attendants with nursing experience, as mentioned above insurance companies also hire employees with nursing experience. With the amount of sciences and health classes nurses have had another avenue would be to obtain a teaching license for Jr High, and High School, also could look into Elememtary and higher as substitute teacher. The Temporary employment agencies can help in your transition. You can try out jobs and see what you like, often once you work for someone and they like your work the company can hire you on full time . With this economy it realistically can take upto 3 years to fully transition, so set aside some funds and try not to get discouraged, know it will take steps, brush up on resume writing and interviewing. You will most probably have to change your lifestyle some, find more affordable housing , may have to trade car(s) in for older cheaper models or with better gas mileage, may have to drive a little farther for work, try something new that you think you would like nurses have many skills. I am glad I made the decision and stepped out I've less stressful job and have time for family and friends and have less in material things which has led to a simplier life. It hasn't been easy but for me I would do it again. Best wishes to you.

This is a great post. Kudos to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.