QUESTIONS.....AND NOW I NEED ANSWERS FAST!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Lil KK in Knott, Texas

67 months ago

I am 17 and I have found a nursing home who has agreed to send me to schooling for CNA training and then me pay them back by working for them for a certain amount of time....My problem is my mom and grandma has said how aweful it is to work in a nursing home while being a CNA...the washing of poopy and pee butts...the baths having to be gave to men and women....the comments made during the mens baths....different stuff like that and in a way it kinda worries me and makes me have second thoughts of taking the generous offer...I was wanting some opinions from some other nurses who have worked for a nursing home during their CNA days....or I would take any opinions that will help me make my desision!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

robss in Seattle, Washington

67 months ago

I am the (non-nurse) dad of a 19 year old son (who has just completed a Pharmacy Tech. Certification program). 17 is so young: do you have a HS diploma? or GED? If so, what was your grade point average? My suggestion is to stay in school if you can afford it, beyond HS. Here, in WA state, at least, it is VERY easy to find NO-COST CNA/NA programs. I do not think the NA work would be the best fit for you; however, I do not know you, either.
Look at it this way, if you could put yourself ahead 5 years from now, what would you feel like doing at that point? You have time on your side; if you feel like helping people by making a difference in their life, and can do well in biology, math, and the like, I encourage you to continue in the healthcare field via education.
But before that, I have 3 suggestions: First, do your career homework online before committing to any one field. Then, attempt to volunteer at the sorts of places you think you may like to work at. Finally, attempt to "job shadow" an experienced person in a field you think interests you. Ask questions of what their job is really like. "Look before you leap". Nursing, and other allied healthcare careers, are not all about bathing grumpy old men. Check out Medical Assistant (MA) and LPN careers; male nurses are in high demand, and always will be. Best wishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Boca Raton, Florida

67 months ago

You need to consider your goals. I agree that you need to obtain your high school diploma. There are schools that will allow you to attend the CNA training while you are in high school. Depending on your state, there maybe nursing homes that offer the training. My nursing home administrator preceptor started as a CNA, became a nurse, a nursing home administrator and is now the executive director for a major company. Consider your goals and develop your road map to get there. Stay in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.