Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing nursing assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

misty in Hartselle, Alabama

99 months ago

how do you get started? i know some places offer free classes but i can't seem to find them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

84 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing nursing assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?[/QUOTE
I have only been a CNA for 2 months so I have a good idea as to how you can get started. First of all, call any and all Nursing Homes in your area and ask them if they have a training program for CNA's. Most likely they will require you to apply to their facility and be considered for their program first but they pay for your training. Some hospitals do this also but it is very hard to get accepted unless you are a nursing student. What I did is I went on line, googled CNA training in Milwaukee WI. I found a wonderful training program in the area and 12 days later I was certified as a CNA in the state of Wisconsin. The cost was $735.00 but if you are low income the state will pay your tuition. See your social worker. I was lucky to find a great job right away and have been very happy doing this type of work ever since. It may not be the most glamorous work but is is very gratifying. I am 44 years old and this type of work is very physical so I intend on going to get my degree as a Medical assistant but I am very glad I did this first so i understand the nursing business from the ground up. I hope that you can have apossitive experience and I wish you the best of luck. We can't have enough good CNA's out there! I'd like to here from you and see what you decided.

CNA Jenny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.