What is considered a normal Patient:CNA Ratio? I work 24 patients:myself

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 500 of 521)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

MOUNTAINLASSY in East Liverpool, Ohio

30 months ago

Nicole said: No one really cares. I work the am shift and I treat them (hygenically) as I would myself and my babies. However these lousy dogs told me that I was "taking too long" giving personal care. They just want me to swipe but and put on clothes, no water on face hands butt or teeth brushing. I hate nursing homes and I honestly hate the people who condone crappy care. It is stressful and I hope they're put somewhere where their tail isn't washed accept for once a week correctly. As a CENA you can only do your personal best.

go to CHANGE.ORG. under petitions recent find my petition to the PRESIDENT to change states rights to set resident to aids ratios. PLEASE GET FRIEND TO SIGN .WE HAVE TO CHANGE THIS. THANKS!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

gail in Trenton, New Jersey said: Kudos to you for taking your education to the next level. but I hate to tell you,being a nurse is that much harder now days. Are you aware that so many nurses hate their jobs these days? This world we live in unfortunately does not except one for who they are but what you're worth. Many nurses are not happy. We have lives in our hands, rude doctors, families to deal with, tons of paper work, hostile work environment, politics and more politics. So don't kid yourself. My daughter is in college and I forbid her of becoming a nurse. They're some days I wish I was an aide because their stress is some what different in some cases the same.Tre story: Nurse calls aide low life. One week later, nurse gets very ill. That same aide washed and cared for her. Now the shoe was on the other foot. Be careful God is watching

please sign my petition CHANGE.ORG>HEALTH>RECENT it petitions THE PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RATIOS OF RESIDENT TO AID RATIOS. PLEASE GET FRIENDS TO SIGN AND PASS ON. THANK YOU!!!!

30 months ago

over worked and under paid in Cleburne, Texas said: i have been a cna for about 10 months now and this new job i work it bad there sometimes 1 cna to 35 residents last night was not the first time i worked by myself, and i know it wont be the last. we are way under staffed and WAY under paid. Some times there are 2 cnas on the hall but thats rear and uncommon. im so fed up with this job i have been applying at hospitals and other places other than nursing homes. i hate seening residents get the bear minimum when it comes to having to wait to get changed becuase i dont have time to run back and furth by my self.

GO TO : CHANGE.ORG>PETITIONS>HEALTH>RECENT PETITION THE PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIDENT TO AID RATIOS. GET FRIENDS TO SIGN AND PASS ON.THANK YOU!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.
GO TO CHANGE.ORG.>PETITIONS>HEALTH>RECENT PETITION THE PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIDENT TO AIDS RATIOS. GET FRIENDS TO SIGN AND PASS ON.THANK YOU!!!!!

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota

30 months ago

What people seem to forget is: The government thinks of the poor,sick and elderly as a drain on the economy.They are cutting down on what they pay nursing homes.The federal and state governments could care less about elder care.The Nursing Home owners are just looking after their profit.When people STOP putting their elders in Nursing Homes,things will change,not before.

30 months ago

amanda in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: this is sick . something needs to be done . politicians cant keep just passing the buck i cant beleive there aren't laws that prevent as a cna myself i feel like something needs to be done . working conditions are awful and they will only get worse . we need betting working conditions so we can provide better care . the residents pay top dollar and are lucky if they get the bare minimum . it is just sad

GO TO CHANGE.ORG.>PETITIONS>HEALTH>RECENT I'M PETITIONING PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIDENT TO AIDS RATIOS. PLEASE SIGN AND GET FRIENDS TO SIGN. WE NEED MORE HELP!!!!

30 months ago

Pincess in Westford, Massachusetts said: dont feel bad theres nothing we can do ive tried for long time ive worked the night shift for a VERy long time and all they say is that there are 2 aide an the nurse should help but how often do they? i wish that we could start some kind of union.. i myself during night oversee 47 people but the other aide typically helps an now that corporate is there we have to get 7 people up which is a safty hazzzzord then they wonder y peolpe fall an brake hip when we are gettin up peeple whos watching the floor whiile the nurse is passing pill ... somethin has to be done

go to:CHANGE.ORG>PETITIONS>HEALTH>RECENT>PETITIONING PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RATIOS OF RESIDENT TO AIDS. PLEASE SIGN AND GET FRIENDS TO SIGN. PASS ON. WE NEED HELP!!!!

30 months ago

Mary in Coatesville, Indiana said: I am a CNA and also 17, and I have 29 patients at night and they are all on the hospice hall. Everyone there are basically dying or can't help me roll them. My Nurse helps me and it is very uncomfortable because I don't want her to hurt herself. She is almost 50 and rolling these 3-400 pound people. I also want to know if there is a state law against this. And if that isn't enough, they want me to get up 5 of these people.

GO TO CHANGE.ORG.>PETITIONS>HEALTH>RECENT TO PETITION PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RATIO OF RESIDENT TO AIDS. WE NEED MORE HELP AND THIS WILL OPEN UP JOBS. PLEASE SIGN AND GET FRIENS. PASS ON .THANK YOU!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Gloria said: Check out: Nursing Assistant Resources on the Web where this was found: nursingassistants.net/2008/01/26/staffing-ratios-each-state/ . Source: www.nccnhr.org/uploads/HarringtonStatestaffingtableRevisedJan2008.pdf (updated January 2008 & posted 1-26-08) Summation: Staffing ratios- CNA/Resident– per state:

AK NONE
AL NONE
AR DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:9 NIGHTS: 1:14 (This can include nurses)
AZ NONE
CA NONE
CO NONE
CT NONE
DC DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
DE DAYS: 1:7 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
FL NONE
GA NONE
HI NONE
IA NONE
ID NONE
IL NONE
IN NONE
KS NONE
KY NONE
LA NONE
MA NONE
MD NONE
ME DAYS: 1:5 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15 (This can include nurses)
MI DAYS: 1:8 EVENINGS: 1:12 NIGHTS: 1:15
MN NONE
MO NONE
MS NONE
MT **Complicated formula used; 4 hours care for each resident; no actual mandated numbers of staff**
NC NONE
ND NONE
NE NONE
NH NONE
NJ NONE
NM NONE
NV NONE
NY NONE
OH 1:15
OK DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:8 NIGHTS: 1:15
OR DAYS: 1:10 EVENINGS: 1:15 NIGHTS: 1:20
PA NONE
RI NONE
SC DAYS: 1:9 EVENINGS: 1:13 NIGHTS: 1:22
SD NONE
TN NONE
TX NONE
UT NONE
VA NONE
VT NONE
WA NONE
WI NONE
WV NONE
WY NONE

go to: CHANGE.ORG>PETITIONS>HEALTH>RECENT I am petitioning the PRESIDENT TO CHANGE STATES RIGHTS TO SET RESIDENT TO AID RATIOS. WE NEED MORE HELP. PLEASE SIGN AND GET FRIENDS TO SIGN. PASS ON. THANK YOU!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karmen in Bethania, North Carolina

29 months ago

I was working in Telecommunications for ten years. Making 40,000 dollars a year. In 2009 my company had major layoffs, so I decided to ttry a career in healthcare. I always wondered how people worked as CNA's, suprisingly I found myself working as one. I Immediately realized it wasn't for me. I went back and took a medication aide class, this was better. Low pay more work? Reviewing MAR's, updating charts, Insulin injections, accu-checks...functioning as a LPN basically! Without the pay! I still wanted to see if nursing was what I wanted to pursue so I became a CNA II and worked in the ED....less stress more politics. I've worked in a hospital on a Cardiology unit on night shift ratio 15:1...surgery preps, 15 vital signs , FSBS, daily weights... Then call bells.. Etc.. And contrary to popular belief patients DO NOT sleep through the night... For all the above reasons, I am pursuing a degree in Healthcare Information Management. I'm not gonna waste anymore time or money investing into a career that I will be miserable with like 80 percent of the RN's I've worked with.

cathy in Springfield, Illinois

29 months ago

I am a can and I know how we are treated it hurts to know that all the work we do is never appreciated. Director piles on commercial cleaning to one can plus taking care of resident answering call lights etc something really needs to be done for these folks God bless each and everyone of you and may He give you the strength to endure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RosieSusan in Cape Coral, Florida

29 months ago

cdomivan@tampabay,com in Seminole, Florida said: Lets not be so quick to judge, many foreign nurses cant spell . Example: The chart read the mans uterus was inflamed, she was suppose to write urethra. Anyways most techs chart numbers and make checks in the computer. Its all about common sense. A genuine compassion to help the patient. Who cares if this person cant spell as long as she can perform good patient care.

Hate to tell you, the doctors cannot spell either. Nor can you read their writing. Try doing that and take care of all the patients that you are responsible. This is in addition to having the nurses not respond to you, the CNA, because they usually think they are above the CNA and much smarter. There are a few nurses that help and care, but Admin doesn't, we all do our best. Maybe that person just finished 5 12 hour shifts with 36 patients, because too many others called in and they cared enough, not to walk out. There are a lot of us that care and try to do our best inspite of the odds against us. Unfortunately, whatever the ratios are, it doesn't seem to be low enough to give the care that we truly care to give our patients. Best of luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kat in Saint Paul, Minnesota

29 months ago

diana in Asheville, North Carolina said: I would like to know what I need to open my own nursing home. (money?) I have medical background, medic in the Army, Medical Assistant for 15 years. My mother was an RN for 50 Yrs. She is now in a skilled nursing home. I think I could do a better job. How can I find out if a nursing home is for sale, or lease option to buy.Or does it work like that?? thanks puzzeled?
You should start with a group home in a house with 4-6 residents.

kat in Saint Paul, Minnesota

29 months ago

RosieSusan in Cape Coral, Florida said: Hate to tell you, the doctors cannot spell either. Nor can you read their writing. Try doing that and take care of all the patients that you are responsible. This is in addition to having the nurses not respond to you, the CNA, because they usually think they are above the CNA and much smarter. There are a few nurses that help and care, but Admin doesn't, we all do our best. Maybe that person just finished 5 12 hour shifts with 36 patients, because too many others called in and they cared enough, not to walk out. There are a lot of us that care and try to do our best inspite of the odds against us. Unfortunately, whatever the ratios are, it doesn't seem to be low enough to give the care that we truly care to give our patients. Best of luck to all.

In any job you should be able to spell and read .Medical mistakes could happen if you don't.I would like to see nursing homes and ast living shut down.The government should pay for home health and group homes instead.That is how things were a 100 years ago.People shouldn't be warehoused and ignored.

Jan

29 months ago

I'm 18 yrs old and also a CNA. I work the night shift from 7pm to 7am and we have 3 buildings. I work in the Alzheimer's and Rehab buildings and we have about 24 ppl per CNA in the Alzheimer's and 12 people per CNA in the rehab. We have to get every person up in the mornings in the rehab and at least half of the residents up in the Alzheimer's. However we are not under staffed just not distributed out evenly. I love my job and taking care of these senior citizens makes me feel great. Sometimes I just wish I had more help in the Alzheimer's because it does Get tuff. Some CNAs get help but it just depends on the night.

Tracena in Cordova, Tennessee

29 months ago

Hi there 18 yr old. You r still young. Honey plez go back to school. U r only gonna tire yourself out and mess up ur feet and ur back. I'm CNA but in a Hosp on a Cardiac Unit and we have 2 halls that can house up to 19 pts per hall. I have had both halls plenty of time when we were short, it's no fun. But I'm gonna bk to school this to get my Bachlr/Science degree. Don't want to be in nursing because pts and there fam lie on ya all the time, I thought I could that but I just can't. Plus I'm gonna need my back n feet to travel in 25 yrs when I retire lol. And our nurses do just as much pulling and lifting as we do. Not for me!! Good luck to u and God bless all NA/CNA

Jan

29 months ago

Tracena in Cordova, Tennessee said: Hi there 18 yr old. You r still young. Honey plez go back to school. U r only gonna tire yourself out and mess up ur feet and ur back. I'm CNA but in a Hosp on a Cardiac Unit and we have 2 halls that can house up to 19 pts per hall. I have had both halls plenty of time when we were short, it's no fun. But I'm gonna bk to school this to get my Bachlr/Science degree. Don't want to be in nursing because pts and there fam lie on ya all the time, I thought I could that but I just can't. Plus I'm gonna need my back n feet to travel in 25 yrs when I retire lol. And our nurses do just as much pulling and lifting as we do. Not for me!! Good luck to u and God bless all NA/CNA

Actually I am in school. This is my first year in college and I've already got my 39 hours of pre reqs that I need for the RN program so hopefully I get to do that in the fall.
I wish you the best of luck though and godbless as well!

A.Dezelah in Haines City, Florida

28 months ago

I work 10a-6p as well, ratio 1:26 in the memory care unit of an ALF, and I have to have them all up by the time I leave. I rarely leave on time, because dayshift is always late. If someone calls off, nothing is done. every 2 hours I have to do a round, and there are about 8 fall risks on my floor, some of them 250+ lbs. To make matters worse, at least 3 of the residents on this hall have combative tendancies. How am I supposed to make sure one doesn't wander around and assault another resident when I'm at the opposite end of the hall with someone else? It's neglect, and there's nothing I can do about it! WHERE ARE THE REGULATORY LAWS FOR THIS INSANITY??? proper body mechanics only go so far and so does the $8.00/hr that I get paid. Is this ridiculous, or what?!

Jim Pricope-Roberts in Wheeling, West Virginia

28 months ago

Yes, 1 person to care for 26 patients is absolutely terrible! Patients are the ones who suffer. It's hard on CNA's too! I just quit my job after 17 years, I am just tired of the crap. It will never get better because of the greed of people at the top. It's really ridiculous, I hope everyone of them end up in nursing homes someday! What a payback that will be!

G Cola in Youngstown, Ohio

28 months ago

ja in Providence, Rhode Island said: DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CANNOT SPELL.? HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET ACCEPTED INTO ANY POSITION. IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO WRITE AND CONVEY YOUR MESSAGE THEN WHAT KIND OF CHARTING ARE YOU DOING.

Your ignorant! Maybe her typing skills aren't great or she was in a hurry. Neither of those things make her unqualified to wipe butts and break her back changing beds for hours, especially with the under staffing of these facilities. Which,by the way,milk the clients for every penny possible. Therefore, the patients need and deserve more CNA's per shift. This isn't supposed to be assembly line work, while the owners rake in the money. And was swearing really necessary?

28 months ago

People have a lot of anger and instead of being constructive they choose to take it out on others.Most people use computer spellchecks and we forget how to spell without it.Many CNA's are coming in from non-speaking english countrys.I once asked my nail tech why so many Asians get into the manicure bizz.She said it is because you don't need to know english.Charting in some big Nursing Homes is done on the computer,so no spelling is needed.Stay positive and realize CNA's should support each other.The NH owners and corporations are our enemy,not each other.Understaffing and doubling of duties is making this job impossible.

Jim Roberts in Wheeling, West Virginia

28 months ago

This is a great place to come and complain about what I believe is a very serious problem, however; nothing is going to change by complaining on this site. There is a website called change.org where anyone can start a petition that will go to our congressmen and senators nationwide. If I start a petition of this nature, how many of you would be willing to sign it and send it to your lawmakers? I'd really like to know, because not only is it not fair that we should labor so hard working with so many patients that we can't give them proper care, but because it is truly unfair to the patient/resident. , Please respond to this if I get at least 25 responses. I will start a petition. It may not work, but it is certainly worth a try and much better than complaining to one another, when we know that this will not solve anything.

MOUNTAINLASSY in Columbiana, Ohio

28 months ago

I will sign! I have been trying for almost 2 years to get a petition going. No too many people see this site. I have also used Change.org. That site also needs qite a few people to sign before it is posted for all to see.Mine is under RECENT> Change states rights to set patient to aid ratios. Hope you get it up and running. Once it gets noticed it should take off like wildfire!!!!

adventure in Newark, New York

27 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: (Continued) Make sure patients pads are in place and patients pulled up in bed when they are put to be or on your first round. When you do have extra help. Do extra work on w/c, tidying rooms and other chores. Get patients clothing out and ready for the next day when making rounds. Some CNA 's get up 5-6 people of a morning and give two or three a shower. I agree you had too many residents for two people but there was plenty the third aide could have been doing, orientation or no orientation. By the way, did you pass any meds for the Nurses, do any treatments, contact any family, doctor, perform any lab work, did you complete any of their vitals signs, assessments or complete their charting. Just because a Nurse is sitting behind the desk certainly does not mean they are not working, it is just more mental the physical. (that's why they went to school). Sure they should share the work, but bed check and answering call lights to give pts water or change beds is not their priority. Bottom line, learn to work your hall, don't let it work you. Good luck in the future. P.S. never bluff if you are not prepared to follow though.

So in your definition, Nurses priority are secretary work.....? Last I checked nurses are suppose to be caring and compassionate and put patient quality care over paperwork but apparently nurses now a days are to caught up on a power trip of being an inch above an aide when in fact certified nurses aide are there to assist the nurses to care for residents in every way possible. But in your world every man stand for themselves stop trying to eat your lamb because as you should know LPN are going to soon be banish in a couple of years and you mostly likely will have to apply for CNA work unless you go for RN. Let's just pray to God you don't end up in a nursing home and need bed changing and a nurse is to caught up on her paperwork and can't come to your aid.... Good life!

27 months ago

Jim Roberts in Wheeling, West Virginia said: This is a great place to come and complain about what I believe is a very serious problem, however; nothing is going to change by complaining on this site. There is a website called change.org where anyone can start a petition that will go to our congressmen and senators nationwide. If I start a petition of this nature, how many of you would be willing to sign it and send it to your lawmakers? I'd really like to know, because not only is it not fair that we should labor so hard working with so many patients that we can't give them proper care, but because it is truly unfair to the patient/resident. , Please respond to this if I get at least 25 responses. I will start a petition. It may not work, but it is certainly worth a try and much better than complaining to one another, when we know that this will not solve anything.

you can definitely count me in. I will make sure to also inform coworkers who cry for change but don't have the resource to proceed change! Thank you so much this information brings comfort!

27 months ago

MOUNTAINLASSY in Columbiana, Ohio said: I will sign! I have been trying for almost 2 years to get a petition going. No too many people see this site. I have also used Change.org. That site also needs qite a few people to sign before it is posted for all to see.Mine is under RECENT> Change states rights to set patient to aid ratios. Hope you get it up and running. Once it gets noticed it should take off like wildfire!!!!

Browse petition @change.gov under change state rights to set patients to aid ratios and could not find... please get back as soon as you can I'm aiming for good change!

27 months ago

It really doesn't matter how many people sign.The government no longer listens to it's people.The government is cutting down what they pay nursing homes.That shows you how much they care.With most Nursing Homes owned my corporations and many perfer taking private insurance only,we are in trouble.They don't care about workers or clients.They only care about bottom line-money ! When familys can't take care of their own,they are willing to let them live in substandard care.

Jim Roberts in Wheeling, West Virginia

27 months ago

You are all right to complain. Nursing homes are terrible!!! I have worked in several and they are all about equally the same when it comes to neglect and over working their aides. They should be sued!! I personally would't put my cat or dog in a nursing home for care, let alone a relative or any human being for that matter. What a terribly cruel thing to do to anyone!!! The priorities of the U. S. Government and those that manage health care laws, hospitals, and nursing home leave much to be desired! Their priorities are flawed to say the least. After 17 years of being a CNA, I find said adios to the job. I am retired from the Military and I don't need the job anyway. I definitely don't need all the BS that comes with it, nor do I need to watch people suffer. Not only did I give up my job, but I am seriously considering becoming and ex-patriot of this messed up country! This is not the America I knew 50 years ago!

27 months ago

True this country is becoming a 3rd world country.Our standard of living is going down.We accept this as normal.Nursing Homes have never been a good thing.In the 70's I worked in a nursing home at age 16.Then residents were tied to their beds and chairs.One person lift was normal.Later on laws were passed that made it illegal to restrain residents.They are still prisons for the sick and elderly.

sincere in Baltimore, Maryland

26 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: " I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants."

Oh...and atleast 90% of the time most likely, they lie in their own body fluids due to a staffing shortagae, which is not the fault of the Nurses Asst. but the fault of the Administrator or Director of Nursing or Staffing Coordinator ...sometimes ALL of the above.

It appears to me you are ignorant to the dynamics of what actually goes on in a Nursing Home. If you are knowledgeable to the facts, obviously it doesn't show. You are seriously displaying your ignorance and I'm wondering what do you feel you stand to gain from it all.

Does it make your day to make dehumanizing CNA comments. I seriously wonder about your childhood; Are you carrying around issues stemmed from long ago? Are you unhappy with your present life/situations? Or are you making remarks just for "kicks" and it is actually fun to tick others off with foolishness? Do you love rebuttles?

I don't know you from a "man on the moon" however be encouraged to know that...."there is room- for even you...at the cross". Jesus Loves You, Dear.

I think its fault of the rn or lpn also because so many of them dont feel like thats apart of thier job description. I didnt know it was so bad everywhere i am here in baltimore maryland

Crystal in Concord, North Carolina in Concord, North Carolina

26 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna , somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 Tylenol for back relief regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up at least 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

I agree with you. In reading all the comments here, I can too relate. We were extremely short handed. From 11pm-4am, I had the responsibility of taking care of 46 patients. They called in someone to help me, but she might as well stayed home. She didn't help me at all. She just stood around talking to the LPN that I was working under. I too am a weekender. I work Friday through Sunday. My hours are from 7p-7a. On Monday's, I leave work and have to be at Rowan Cabarrus Community College by 8:15am. By risking my life and a speeding ticket, I have to go 70-80mph to make it on time. I only sat down for a 10 minute smoke break. 10 MINUTES. I never went to the bathroom and barely would stop by the water fountain to get some water. I clocked out at 7:45am. Headed up I-85, only went TWO miles and had already started to nodding off. I got off the next ramp, came back home. I fell asleep in the car in the driveway for over an hour before waking from the heat and went inside. Went straight to be and slept till 6pm last night. I barely remember talking to my daughter on the phone and went back to bed. Slept until 10am this morning and feel like a locomotive, 18-wheeler has ran all over my body. I can barely move this morning. So; with all said, I am fed up with this.

Mary in Redmond, Oregon

25 months ago

It's sucks being short-staffed all the time, and too make matters worse u r not allowed to say anything to residents about being short staffed or u get in trouble. So all the residents are always angry because they pee their pants waiting for u to come help them to the bathroom.And the dns is almost always a b@#$%, and doesnt care if ur short staffed, everything still needs to be done, so thats why alot of cnas do no call no shows, cause its too much for them to handele.

Abbey in Mckeesport, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

i read all the aide to pt. ratios and i am completely amazed... some of your stories are unbelieveable! I work on the stroke/neuro unit in a hospital and we only have a 14 bed unit.. so the max is 14, but they do not have an aide for overnights.. daylight, which is what i mostly work, gets slammed have to do all baths, bed linens, 2x vitals, rbgs, feedings, and charting. evening might end up with 1 or 2 baths depending on the level of care the pt.s on the units need. it's a very demanding job, but to see some of the pt.s go from not being able to speak, move, or talk.. to a pretty good recovery it just puts a smile on this face. and after hearing some stories i have no room for complaint.

frustrated cna in Wichita, Kansas

24 months ago

Does it get any better is it bad in coloradosprings co for cna work I live in Kansas my license is inactive listening to the stories I dont know if I will renew license again.Hello to all youCNAS unappreciated I know how you feel.I got my license in coloradosprings now I read all these horror stories I might do something else.

Kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma

24 months ago

No,The bizz will only get worse unless the american public tells the government to put in federal ratios ,cna to resident.The problem is most nursing homes are paid with social security and the government is cutting down what they pay them.Corporations are all about the bottom line-PROFIT.In society those that don't pay major taxes,don't count! The poor and elderly are considered throw aways .

SRH in Princeton, West Virginia

24 months ago

I working in a 120 bed facility...usually we had 8 CNAs for the entire shift (if the same people didn't keep calling in). Average of 15 residents daily. Thank God we had a bath team so we didn't generally do baths. We worked 12 hour shifts. After breakfast (which usually took 2 hours almost) we had to make sure that everyone was changed...which is necessary. Then I had six residents to dress (while answering call bells and doing whatever the RN/LPN needed). Then our lunch time but my co-worker took 45 minutes to an hour every day (lunch is 30 minutes)....yes the administration and RN/LPNs knew. So by that time it is time to change residents again and get them to lunch. Another almost two hours for lunch by the time you transport everyone in....I did the hall at lunch...which meant I passed out trays...took orders for whatever the resident needed (by the way most of these residents were able to go to the dining room but refused)...trips to the kitchen to get everything and then on to the bathroom to take the line of residents to the restroom. Then after lunch...change residents again...Now it is between 2 and 3 and I finally get a lunch. After lunch I come back and my co-worker spends an hour on books while I watch the floor and answer numerous call bells. Then time to change again and get ready for dinner. Do the dinner thing...in the dining area. Then after dinner change again. No time to even go to the bathroom and rarely time for a break. No wonder I was stressed. My final straw came from a resident (no Dementia or Alheimers) who was constantly masturbating in front of me. Constant profanity. Constant harassment and sexual harassment. Then he finally decided one day while cleaning him to strike me....I told my supervisor and no back up. Another CNA had quit a few weeks before and it was told to the admminstration that this resident was guilty of harassment and sexual harrasment.
Even days have a maximum number of children per worker...not CNAs.

frustrated cna in Hutchinson, Kansas

24 months ago

SRH in Princeton, West Virginia said: I working in a 120 bed facility...usually we had 8 CNAs for the entire shift (if the same people didn't keep calling in). Average of 15 residents daily. Thank God we had a bath team so we didn't generally do baths. We worked 12 hour shifts. After breakfast (which usually took 2 hours almost) we had to make sure that everyone was changed...which is necessary. Then I had six residents to dress (while answering call bells and doing whatever the RN/LPN needed). Then our lunch time but my co-worker took 45 minutes to an hour every day (lunch is 30 minutes)....yes the administration and RN/LPNs knew. So by that time it is time to change residents again and get them to lunch. Another almost two hours for lunch by the time you transport everyone in....I did the hall at lunch...which meant I passed out trays...took orders for whatever the resident needed (by the way most of these residents were able to go to the dining room but refused)...trips to the kitchen to get everything and then on to the bathroom to take the line of residents to the restroom. Then after lunch...change residents again...Now it is between 2 and 3 and I finally get a lunch. After lunch I come back and my co-worker spends an hour on books while I watch the floor and answer numerous call bells. Then time to change again and get ready for dinner. Do the dinner thing...in the dining area. Then after dinner change again. No time to even go to the bathroom and rarely time for a break. No wonder I was stressed. My final straw came from a resident (no Dementia or Alheimers) who was constantly masturbating in front of me. Constant profanity. Constant harassment and sexual harassment. Then he finally decided one day while cleaning him to strike me....I told my supervisor and no back up. Another CNA had quit a few weeks before and it was told to the admminstration that this resident was guilty of harassment and sexual harrasment.

frustrated cna in Hutchinson, Kansas

24 months ago

Kat I know how you feel I really dont think I will do this kind of work anymore we dont get credit and the residents suffer because of it.

Nrsagnstcorpts in Denton, Texas

24 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna , somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

Unfortunately, here in Texas and many other states, until they pass legislation that gives definite staff to patient ratios, like they have in daycares, the corporations that own these longterm facilities, will continue to milk as much money from our elderly as possible while providing the least amount of care possible. It is just the way it is. Shame on them for trying to make a dollar off of our sick and in need senior citizens. Someone laying for hours in their own urine and feces so the corporate employees can drive nicer cars and have nicer houses. It is sick. Just plain sick and they are the lowest of the low of human kind in my book. I have been a nurse for nearly 10 years and worked many many many different long term care places, hoping that the next one would be better and actually "care" about the services they provide to their residents. I have been gravely disappointed every time. The texas laws right now allow for the corporations to point blame at the individual staff cna's and nurses if anything goes wrong. Yes, if state finds them deficient in an area of care they can fine the facility, but ultimately, they try to turn it on their employees instead. It is as absurd and ludicrous as Marie Antoinette's response to her starving people " No bread? WEll let them eat CAKE!" She was decapitated for that.

consered.person in Portland, Oregon

22 months ago

This information is what it is in Oregon, but I still sometimes have up to 21 people. This is a facility violation in the state. Below is the oregon state board of nursing regulations on staffing that is to be reported quarterly to the state. But alot of facilities are cheating on this an supplying false reports by manipulating the area numbers where people may be working on another floor but the numbers added together makes it come out and still they violate without a proble. I think the state even knows because of the ratings are still good but they have walked the building knowing that these numbers can not be real, Oh well. But don't you mess up as a CNA or they will take your license in a second.

(c) The number of residents per nursing assistant must not exceed the ratios:

(A) Beginning March 1, 2008:
(i) DAY SHIFT: 1 nursing assistant per 8 residents.
(ii) SWING SHIFT: 1 nursing assistant per 12 residents.
(iii) NIGHT SHIFT: 1 nursing assistant per 20 residents.

(B) Beginning April 1, 2009:
(i) DAY SHIFT: 1 nursing assistant per 7 residents.
(ii) SWING SHIFT: 1 nursing assistant per 11 residents.
(iii) NIGHT SHIFT: 1 nursing assistant per 18 residents.

concerned.person in Portland, Oregon

22 months ago

Get in a hurry and miss type your name.
Well in Texas they still stick to the Federal Minimum Wage and then CNA's go up from there. Do you really think they are anything but about the profit. It is bad though that the people that supply the direct care for these people that need help is given to people that have to fight to get a wages that is just about that Minimum Wage weather it is in a state that is about Federal Minimum Wage or not. I have always give 100 percent to all my people and I sometimes work though the night without a break because of it. We still have people that can to the 21 on 30 to 45 minutes, but like this person ask me one day, "Your tell me you do what you are suppost to for everyone? Ah come on." and I told her yes, I would ask for nothing less.

Tara in Clinton, Indiana

22 months ago

I used to work in a facility where I had 40 patients to myself, had to pass ice, do vitals manually, get 12 up in the morning, and even do laundry so I would have pads to re-use the next bed check. I worked the 10p - 6a shift. It was hard! By morning, my back was always killing me. The other aides in the building would rarely help me, and the nurse I worked with sat at her desk all night and read a book. That, or she would take like 12 smoke breaks. I never got off work on time. I'd usually clock out at around 7:00 - 7:30. My DON always got mad because of the overtime, but I couldn't help it. My get-up list was ridiculous, and there was no way I was going to leave until each of my residents were cared for to the best of my ability. Plus, the day shift would always sit around the nurses station until I'd get done, and they never offered to help me. I eventually ended up leaving that place after a few months. I wouldn't recommend that facility to anybody. It's horrible. No one gets the care that they deserve.

I now work at a different facility on the 2p - 10p shift. It's still short staffed sometimes, but not near as bad as the other facility. I now normally have 12 people to take care of (plus vitals and ice and snacks). And I normally have to give about 4 showers a night. But, I'm not by myself. I usually work with one other person. Though, on the weekend I work, I occasionally work by myself with 24 residents from 6p - 10p. Not as hard, but still very difficult to make sure you get everything done.

You're always busy, and it's very, very hard. But it's worth it. I like making the residents comfortable and knowing I've helped them in their time of need. I don't get paid near as much as I used to, but I prefer this facility I work at now compared to any of the other ones I've worked at. The staff is nice there, even the office people (unless you've done something wrong). And the atmosphere is much friendlier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Clinton, Indiana

22 months ago

SRH in Princeton, West Virginia said: I working in a 120 bed facility...usually we had 8 CNAs for the entire shift (if the same people didn't keep calling in). Average of 15 residents daily. Thank God we had a bath team so we didn't generally do baths. We worked 12 hour shifts. After breakfast (which usually took 2 hours almost) we had to make sure that everyone was changed...which is necessary. Then I had six residents to dress (while answering call bells and doing whatever the RN/LPN needed). Then our lunch time but my co-worker took 45 minutes to an hour ev

There is a resident I take care of that that has no Dementia or Alzheimers that does things like that to me. I went to transfer him to bed one night, and he held on to me extremely tight. I couldn't get him to let go of me whatsoever, and no one else was there to help me...the other aide was on lunch break. He started to kiss my neck. That was the last straw for me. I plopped him back down in his wheelchair, and I managed to eventually get him to let go of me. I was irate. I put his pull-tab alarm back on, pushed him back out into the hallway, and shut his bedroom door. If I didn't shut his door and take him out into the hallway, he'd try to put himself into bed, and fall. I went straight up to my nurse, started venting and telling him what happened. I had to write a statement, and eventually, his doctor finally upped his dose of some medication he's on to decrease his sex-drive. Unfortunately, his new dosage isn't helping whatsoever. I will never take care of that man by myself ever again. Occasionally, he'd grab my butt or something, but I'd just move his hand away and tell him to stop. Most of the time he would. He had never ever tried anything like that until that night. I almost walked out, but I didn't because of the whole abandonment thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CNA oldtimer in Fall River Mills, California

14 months ago

It’s a great tragedy when pets get treated better than the elderly who can no longer fend for themselves. There’s a special place in hell for the politicians and bureaucrats who have cut funding rather than increase it for elder care. Maybe to them it’s more important to spend our tax money to kill men, women, and children in other nations than to make sure our now-retired taxpayers are well-taken care of.
Although I have attended around 6 years of college, with some heavy math and science, including nearly 2 years of LPN training, I've continued to work as a CNA, mostly in LTC, for over 19 years as a choice. This job, I feel, is one of the most important things we can be doing on this planet...taking care of the sick and the weak and the elderly.

Yes, I've been upset many times with nurses and charge nurses and DON's for being insufferably arrogant and/or obtuse. I've been written up for certain "offenses" while others, doing the same or worse, just get winked at. Now that I'm getting older, I am getting more vocal about the crap I see going on. Unfortunately, that has painted a target on my back, but at least I can hold my head up high. All the paper-pushers and managers and supervisors and CEO’s of nursing homes owe us big time, because we are their paychecks. Without us CNA’s, they would all have to go home and look for another job.

The nurses at this facility have a life of ease---only 15 residents each on AM shift, and 30 on PM shift. That's 2 nurses 5 am to 5 pm and 1 nurse 5 pm to 5 am. CNA's also work the same 12 hr shifts, 3 on AM's and 2 on PM's with an 8 hr shower person 1245 pm to 2115 pm.

CNA oldtimer in Fall River Mills, California

14 months ago

This facility is a non-profit hospital and SNF, and the way it's run, it will never make a profit, except by a miracle. Too many parasites, from SNF nurses spending several hours a day playing on the computer or reading magazines or smoking or chatting or watching TV, to housekeepers who spend half of their day taking breaks, to maintenance men who need 2 or 3 of them to fix a wheel chair brake or unclog a sink or lubricate a wheel on a piece of equipment or paint a sign.

Even 10 residents usually keeps the day shift CNA's busy, but it's been very hard on me to watch the parasites sucking the facility dry. Now with impending MediCal cuts, the SNF part of this facility may be closing. So, if it closes I will collect unemployment, then retire from the CNA work. In-home care is so much easier with very little stress and one-on-one caregiving. The benefits at this facility are almost fabulous that even though I make a little over $12 per hour, I figure the benefits jump that up to about $20 per hour. That include the company paying 2/3 of my health insurance, PTO (personal time off, kind of like vacation time except it can be cashed out instead taking the time off), 401 K, and usually all the Over Time that I want. If this facility manages to not close, you should come here and apply for a job with a decent work load.

Student Nurse in Portland, Oregon

14 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna , somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

In Oregon that is too many. In 9 states their are limits set and other states are following. In this state in 2009 they set the limit at 7 on days, 11 on evenings and 18 on nights per CNA. Other states have no limits and I have heard of 1 CNA to 100 people in some states on the night shift. With 18 and you do your 2 hour check and change the ones that need it. You about 9 minute each doing 3 rounds. If you start as soon as shift starts and do 4 round you only have about 7 minutes per person. As long as you just have to change a few taking about 6 or 8 minutes a piece and hoping you do not have any bed changes or celling lifts(hoyer lifts) that require 2 person lifts, then you do ok. On the bad nights with just doing your job is hard work to keep up. I do not believe I can keep everyone checked on a 2 hours check and changing all the ones that need it if the number was any higher than 22. I think working 24 is way to many if all the persons are on 2 hour checks that only gives you an average of 6.6 minutes a person doing 3 rounds complete.

Ct. Aide in Torrington, Connecticut

13 months ago

rcac CNA in Stratford, Wisconsin said: I love my job because of the residents, and hate my job because of the Upper Level Management. I quoted a person earlier because I just wanted him/her to know that I'm really glad she/he's not a CNA any longer, because I wouldn't want them caring for anyone that I knew. We all have it rough being a CNA, and I can only hope that in the future if we need SNF level of care, that we have a CNA that cares as much as we do.

OMG. Did you NOT read that CNAs complaint. Did you READ it. I mean DID you.
I am a CNA as well. We are not supposed to be passing meds as the CNA in the letter you quoted. CNAs are NOT supposed to be passing medications. That CNA should NOT be left alone with so many residents. YOU are glad that person is no longer an aide? YOU wouldn't want THEM caring for anyone YOU knew??? are you *&$^ crazy???
Did you not read that CNAs letter.
You must be expecting a TIme Traveler to do care of all those residents while passing meds and doing HS care. Someone who can magically turn back the hands of a clock to have enough time for all that being ONE CNA ..... and an aide that doesn't get help from the nurse on duty, apparently.
Did you even read and DIGEST that letter,. It is no wonder that person quit.
I am an aide as well and if you knew the work load they put on us and continually deny our pay raises... soon we will be earning min. wage in Conn. while the Administration get thousands of dollars in Christmas bonus' for figuring out ways to keep the aides from their pay. We get NOTHING now.. They've discontinued what little bonus we get for picking up shifts, new hires get paid more than we do who have worked there for 8-years and more.... NO raises. Then they find ways of adding on more ways to do the same old job so they can be reimbursed by the state. They've increased the room rates... they make millions each year yet deny us a 40-cent raise.

13 months ago

liasha1010 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I am very sadden by your comment because if you know that your co workers are not preforming there job skills than it reflects poorly on you. Ex.: If I am with an individual that commit a crime... I am an accessory. Therefore, YOU are no different from the lazy individuals that you speak of. I believe that the standard and goal of health care it to do no harm. How helpful have you been if you did not stand up and report these individuals. It doesnt take extreme intelligence to love and no matter who you are... you have the human aptitude to provide care with respect and compassion.
I have worked in Michigan and in Las Vegas and the standard of care is more often poor at most facilities . The business of long term care is a 24 hour and 7day a week business. The company collect there fees even when staff is short. They could easily add an additional percentage on to staff when working short. The government is not doing enough to monitor or police these big organizations.
My word of advice is never take an assignment that is too large. No matter how great of an employee you are the company totally forgets that when there is an injury to a patient. Bottom line they will fire you with the quickness. Ideally during the day shift eight patient per CNA is appropiate. Afternoons 8-10 patient per CNA. Midnight shift 10-12 per CNA. However, 15 should never be the norm or a daily routine. If your facility standards are poor and the staff to patient ratio is high complain. To the state board and to cooperate. Document everyday who and what you have. You never know when things are going to go bad and if you write it down you cover yourself. Go home sick if the work load is over 25!

(Writing July 28 2013). that was a good response. We are 8-to 1- aide and frequently are working short on day shift. So we many times on Day shift have 12-15 per aide.

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma

13 months ago

Ct. Aide in Torrington, Connecticut said: OMG. Did you NOT read that CNAs complaint. Did you READ it. I mean DID you.
I am a CNA as well. We are not supposed to be passing meds as the CNA in the letter you quoted. CNAs are NOT supposed to be passing medications. That CNA should NOT be left alone with so many residents. YOU are glad that person is no longer an aide? YOU wouldn't want THEM caring for anyone YOU knew??? are you *&$^ crazy???
Did you not read that CNAs letter.
You must be expecting a TIme Traveler to do care of all those residents while passing meds and doing HS care. Someone who can magically turn back the hands of a clock to have enough time for all that being ONE CNA ..... and an aide that doesn't get help from the nurse on duty, apparently.
Did you even read and DIGEST that letter,. It is no wonder that person quit.
I am an aide as well and if you knew the work load they put on us and continually deny our pay raises... soon we will be earning min. wage in Conn. while the Administration get thousands of dollars in Christmas bonus' for figuring out ways to keep the aides from their pay. We get NOTHING now.. They've discontinued what little bonus we get for picking up shifts, new hires get paid more than we do who have worked there for 8-years and more.... NO raises. Then they find ways of adding on more ways to do the same old job so they can be reimbursed by the state. They've increased the room rates... they make millions each year yet deny us a 40-cent raise.

In Minnesota it is the same.With a one day med class the can works the med cart and counts pills,plus does her can job.She works under the one nurses license in the building.It is all about making corporate heads profit.To be a CNA you must be compassionate and also have low self esteem to be used like this.Time to picket nursing homes.

13 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: " I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants."

Oh...and atleast 90% of the time most likely, they lie in their own body fluids due to a staffing shortagae, which is not the fault of the Nurses Asst. but the fault of the Administrator or Director of Nursing or Staffing Coordinator ...sometimes ALL of the above.

It appears to me you are ignorant to the dynamics of what actually goes on in a Nursing Home. If you are knowledgeable to the facts, obviously it doesn't show. You are seriously displaying your ignorance and I'm wondering what do you feel you stand to gain from it all.

Does it make your day to make dehumanizing CNA comments. I seriously wonder about your childhood; Are you carrying around issues stemmed from long ago? Are you unhappy with your present life/situations? Or are you making remarks just for "kicks" and it is actually fun to tick others off with foolishness? Do you love rebuttles?

I don't know you from a "man on the moon" however be encouraged to know that...."there is room- for even you...at the cross". Jesus Loves You, Dear.

Good for you Bev! in all your endeavors. I am an aide. I work with the best. We are (NONE of us) lazy and we do not have bed sores on our units... but we are running from 7 -3:00 and it is a very tough job. New hires are paid more than people get that I work with who have been there 5 or 8-years.... NEW HIRES! This means we don't ever get paid raises. Do NOT look to work as a CNA if you want a career.
You can be as compassionate as a person can be, but when you work short--our jobs just turn into back breaking, unappreciated labor and when you come home, you find a big glob of *poop* on your left shoe and no pay raise again, after it'd been promised. And that's about the size of it. I say go to school for phlebotomy or something else.

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.