What is considered a normal Patient:CNA Ratio? I work 24 patients:myself

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (501 to 523 of 523)
Page:  « First « Previous   8  9  10  11   

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma

11 months ago

Ct. Aide in Torrington, Connecticut said: OMG. Did you NOT read that CNAs complaint. Did you READ it. I mean DID you.
I am a CNA as well. We are not supposed to be passing meds as the CNA in the letter you quoted. CNAs are NOT supposed to be passing medications. That CNA should NOT be left alone with so many residents. YOU are glad that person is no longer an aide? YOU wouldn't want THEM caring for anyone YOU knew??? are you *&$^ crazy???
Did you not read that CNAs letter.
You must be expecting a TIme Traveler to do care of all those residents while passing meds and doing HS care. Someone who can magically turn back the hands of a clock to have enough time for all that being ONE CNA ..... and an aide that doesn't get help from the nurse on duty, apparently.
Did you even read and DIGEST that letter,. It is no wonder that person quit.
I am an aide as well and if you knew the work load they put on us and continually deny our pay raises... soon we will be earning min. wage in Conn. while the Administration get thousands of dollars in Christmas bonus' for figuring out ways to keep the aides from their pay. We get NOTHING now.. They've discontinued what little bonus we get for picking up shifts, new hires get paid more than we do who have worked there for 8-years and more.... NO raises. Then they find ways of adding on more ways to do the same old job so they can be reimbursed by the state. They've increased the room rates... they make millions each year yet deny us a 40-cent raise.

In Minnesota it is the same.With a one day med class the can works the med cart and counts pills,plus does her can job.She works under the one nurses license in the building.It is all about making corporate heads profit.To be a CNA you must be compassionate and also have low self esteem to be used like this.Time to picket nursing homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ct. Aide in Torrington, Connecticut

11 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: " I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants."

Oh...and atleast 90% of the time most likely, they lie in their own body fluids due to a staffing shortagae, which is not the fault of the Nurses Asst. but the fault of the Administrator or Director of Nursing or Staffing Coordinator ...sometimes ALL of the above.

It appears to me you are ignorant to the dynamics of what actually goes on in a Nursing Home. If you are knowledgeable to the facts, obviously it doesn't show. You are seriously displaying your ignorance and I'm wondering what do you feel you stand to gain from it all.

Does it make your day to make dehumanizing CNA comments. I seriously wonder about your childhood; Are you carrying around issues stemmed from long ago? Are you unhappy with your present life/situations? Or are you making remarks just for "kicks" and it is actually fun to tick others off with foolishness? Do you love rebuttles?

I don't know you from a "man on the moon" however be encouraged to know that...."there is room- for even you...at the cross". Jesus Loves You, Dear.

Good for you Bev! in all your endeavors. I am an aide. I work with the best. We are (NONE of us) lazy and we do not have bed sores on our units... but we are running from 7 -3:00 and it is a very tough job. New hires are paid more than people get that I work with who have been there 5 or 8-years.... NEW HIRES! This means we don't ever get paid raises. Do NOT look to work as a CNA if you want a career.
You can be as compassionate as a person can be, but when you work short--our jobs just turn into back breaking, unappreciated labor and when you come home, you find a big glob of *poop* on your left shoe and no pay raise again, after it'd been promised. And that's about the size of it. I say go to school for phlebotomy or something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

If we respect ourselves more we will stop letting Nursing Homes treat us like slave labor.As long as we allow it, they will keep understaffing and low paying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma said: In Minnesota it is the same.With a one day med class the can works the med cart and counts pills,plus does her can job.She works under the one nurses license in the building.It is all about making corporate heads profit.To be a CNA you must be compassionate and also have low self esteem to be used like this.Time to picket nursing homes.

I have been educated about Minn. and thank you. I have worked as a CNA for 4-years and it is time for me to get out. i work with WONDERFUL co-workers, nurses included. People I work with, been there 8-years... earn very little. They pay new-hires more than I get and I've been there, as stated, 4-years.
It is very sad that our elderly; our mothers and fathers, are merely methods of income. Whatever a nursing home can do to increase profits they will do - and the CNA suffer right alongside the residents. We are considered the lowest of the low. We are the ones taking care of these elderly -- shouldn't we be more gently dealt with than what we are? We are the main, the back bone of the building for crispsakes. My clients love seeing me as much as possible because they don't want dozens of people each taking their turn seeing them naked for heavens sakes.. If we keep quitting for better jobs the poor residents will never have a steady aide they can trust in.

11 months ago

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma said: If we respect ourselves more we will stop letting Nursing Homes treat us like slave labor.As long as we allow it, they will keep understaffing and low paying.

We get told "you know where the door is" if we act the way you think is possible. Otherwise we show up for work, do our jobs and clock out and get paid very little. They tell us we are a dime a dozen... so how much respect can we dredge-up when meeting with our Administrators.
Like told, "if you don't like it, there's the door".
...sad to say

11 months ago

If we were more like the people of france,all CNA's in all American nursing homes would walk out on the same day ,then things would change.

Bevel in Memphis, Tennessee

11 months ago

Ct. Aide in Torrington, Connecticut said: We get told "you know where the door is" if we act the way you think is possible. Otherwise we show up for work, do our jobs and clock out and get paid very little. They tell us we are a dime a dozen... so how much respect can we dredge-up when meeting with our Administrators.
Like told, "if you don't like it, there's the door".
...sad to say

Listen, they may tell you that or even display "the dime a dozen" attitude toward you; But don't you for one second accept this type of labeling. I know how important it is to keep your job, so my suggestion to you is to consider going to a trade school or college to change your profession. If you love the nursing track, simply try enrolling in a nursing program (you remember, how they encourage CNA's to climb the ladder rather than settle for being a permanent CNA-at least that's what they tell most). Consider enhancing your skills by marketing for your very own private duty case. Now that you have the expertise, use it to your own advantage. I now have a "word press" blog for "CNA's and Caretakers" that I am working on. Feel free to find me on Word Press.com- I plan to share marketing tips there for finding your own private duty cases. I will also share my experience as a CNA with others and how I survived the nursing homes and more! Keep your head up and on your off days (don't tell anyone) just search for other jobs. Hospitals are beginning to work CNA's a lot now but in my opinion they will never be as hectic as the nursing homes. At least in the hospitals there are several departments to transfer out. Some hospitals even give free training for certain departments. Best wishes to you and you are a super awesome person to do what you do...let No One try to poison your mind with the lie that you are not.

11 months ago

Hi Bevel,
Well YOU are really something YOURSELF! Thank you for the kind word to any CNA reading your reply.
Where I work isn't quite the 'meat-grinder' I've read about on this forum (that some others experience.) Some aides are required to do so much extra work, that I've read of, that getting their regular CNA work finished would be a miracle. But, still, it is hard when we are understaffed a lot. They are saving money by not paying us which is heinous.
I've been trying to find private duty by placing ads but I am also working myself into a different job already. I hope to leave my current job very soon... one more month.
Your marketing tips on 'Word Press' -- I will look for that.
I hope any aide having a hard time at their job will follow your help and advice. (I am an older person, so I will not be going back to school by-the-way). I have my P.C.T. but the hospital here always wants acute care experience. It is very hard to get a job there. One aide I know it took her 2-years of applications before they finally hired her. Then I think my P.C.T. hinders, as they'd have to pay me more; a girl I worked with who didn't have it, they hired her w/o P.C.T. and have trained her for it.

Cindy

11 months ago

ja in Providence, Rhode Island said: DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CANNOT SPELL.? HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET ACCEPTED INTO ANY POSITION. IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO WRITE AND CONVEY YOUR MESSAGE THEN WHAT KIND OF CHARTING ARE YOU DOING.

You sound like one of those people who abuse their co-workers and hateful! Yuck!

11 months ago

kat in Chickasha, Oklahoma said: In Minnesota it is the same.With a one day med class the CNA works the med cart and counts pills,plus does her CNA job.She works under the one nurses license in the building.It is all about making corporate heads profit.To be a CNA you must be compassionate and also have low self esteem to be used like this.Time to picket nursing homes.
Sorry about the bad spelling.CNA .It is a bad min wage job.A waitress would make more.As long as workers feel they deserve the worse treatment and the lowest pay,they will get it.People are desperate for a job so they accept a job that pays them so low ,welfare would be better.

11 months ago

Ct. Aide in Torrington, Connecticut said: I have been educated about Minn. and thank you. I have worked as a CNA for 4-years and it is time for me to get out. i work with WONDERFUL co-workers, nurses included. People I work with, been there 8-years... earn very little. They pay new-hires more than I get and I've been there, as stated, 4-years.
It is very sad that our elderly; our mothers and fathers, are merely methods of income. Whatever a nursing home can do to increase profits they will do - and the CNA suffer right alongside the residents. We are considered the lowest of the low. We are the ones taking care of these elderly -- shouldn't we be more gently dealt with than what we are? We are the main, the back bone of the building for crispsakes. My clients love seeing me as much as possible because they don't want dozens of people each taking their turn seeing them naked for heavens sakes.. If we keep quitting for better jobs the poor residents will never have a steady aide they can trust in.

Corporations are buying up nursing homes and ast living places for for profit.They are business people not caring people.The bottom line is all they care about.

G.. in Cape Coral, Florida

9 months ago

It's pretty ridiculous. At my facility they are cancelling nurses like crazy. 39 rehab patients. Families yelling at you. People in pain and no matter how fast you try to go, it's never fast enough for them. The patients don't understand. Management doesn't care. I try my best everyday and I try not to make any mistakes even with all the distractions and no matter what it's never good enough. All the nurses and CNAs at my job are burnt out. I've spoken with the DON. Most of the cuts are coming from corporate. Ofcourse they never ask the staff for any suggestions. I have a ton that could save them money. It's not just nursing though. They have cut hours on housekeeping and the kitchen. This past weekend there was no housekeeping or laundry so we ran out of wash clothes, towels, patient's are getting upset because they don't have clothes that have come back from the laundry. The dirty utility room was filled half way to the ceiling with garbage and dirty laundry. One nurse had collected a specimen and couldn't even get to the fridge in the corner because of the mess. Nurses and CNA's are doing housekeeping work on top of everything else. It really is ridiculous. IT makes NO sense to me though because the nurses end up with overtime anyway because they have so much to do. I work 3 to 11 and have not been able to get out of work before 2 am every night because no matter what I am not going to put my license on the line. I will take my time and count the narcotics. I will take my time with wounds and passing meds and I WILL help my CNA's because it's not fair to them as well. The patient's are really the ones who suffer and then management has a meeting about customer service or answering call lights or nurses being too "task oriented" (the new one I've heard.) WHen they say task oriented they mean take as many short cuts as you can because we don't care about your license we just want you out on time. I going to home health care. I didn't become a nurse for this.

G.. in Cape Coral, Florida

9 months ago

I'd go on strike but I would feel terrible for the patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

The government doesn't care.They are cutting down what S.S. will pay for nursing homes.The owners don't care,they just want to make a big profit.The familys don't care,because they can't or don't want to take care of their elderly.As long as CNA's and nurses are willing to work these places things will only get worse.

9 months ago

I certainly believe what you wrote is happening where you work and I don't doubt you. What I don't understand is... don't you get inspected by the state? We sure do. And couldn't you write a letter to the health dept.?? take photos if you have to? I don't think you would need to include your name... Where I work our main complaint is our wages. We are staffed well enough even when short (down one aide). We don't work in a crisis setting as the one you described. I would think the authorities need to be involved. Write you state government? the U.S. government? What you describe is against what is RIGHT.. probably against the law as well... Where I work our clients are well tended to by all of us. We never see bed sores... only if one of them has to go to the hospital THEY come back to us with bed sores which I can never understand. Then we (at the nursing home) have to fix the damage being at the hospital caused that resident. From reading this forum it is clear there are some really crummy nursing homes and I am sympathetic to your situation, and I don't doubt you for a moment.

9 months ago

People really don't understand.When the health dept inspects NH ,the NH's are warned in advance by 2 weeks.Many times bribes are given.The government is sick of wasting money on the elderly and the poor,so Nursing Home pyms are down,food stamps lowered and welfare payments less.In American society the elderly or anyone that can't take care of theirselves is basically thrown away or locked away.It is very sad.

9 months ago

I have commented to my co-workers that what we are really doing is 'warehousing'.
Children too busy to provide for their parents. We have many elderly that are psych cases.. (they could not live with family)... but also have a few who, sadly, are brought to us. Had they family who were willing to keep them home, would have done much better there.
We're all frustrated.

9 months ago

The mentally ill need permanent mental hospitals to live in.Sad they are put in NH.Familys all work till they end up in the NH and don't have time to raise children or the elderly.

Anon in Lawrence, Kansas

5 months ago

liasha1010 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I am very sadden by your comment because if you know that your co workers are not preforming there job skills than it reflects poorly on you. Ex.: If I am with an individual that commit a crime... I am an accessory. Therefore, YOU are no different from the lazy individuals that you speak of. I believe that the standard and goal of health care it to do no harm. How helpful have you been if you did not stand up and report these individuals. It doesnt take extreme intelligence to love and no matter who you are... you have the human aptitude to provide care with respect and compassion.
I have worked in Michigan and in Las Vegas and the standard of care is more often poor at most facilities . The business of long term care is a 24 hour and 7day a week business. The company collect there fees even when staff is short. They could easily add an additional percentage on to staff when working short. The government is not doing enough to monitor or police these big organizations.
My word of advice is never take an assignment that is too large. No matter how great of an employee you are the company totally forgets that when there is an injury to a patient. Bottom line they will fire you with the quickness. Ideally during the day shift eight patient per CNA is appropiate. Afternoons 8-10 patient per CNA. Midnight shift 10-12 per CNA. However, 15 should never be the norm or a daily routine. If your facility standards are poor and the staff to patient ratio is high complain. To the state board and to cooperate. Document everyday who and what you have. You never know when things are going to go bad and if you write it down you cover yourself. Go home sick if the work load is over 25!

I work 9p-7a and I presently have 30. I am the only CNA on my hall. In two days I will receive 2 new residents. There are 2 other halls that have less than have the people I do( that's both halls combined). This is just in humane for everyone.

5 months ago

The CNA's aren't to blame.It is the nursing homes that understaff for more profit.The job is so low paying a waitress could make more.Often with one person lifting a healthy CNA will become bent and broken.With low pay she/he will always live in poverty . With all the illnesses among residents,the CNA will always be sick.With the government lowering what S.S. will pay the understaffing will get worse.I feel sorry for the elderly.Their fate is not a happy one.

scfnj in Long Valley, New Jersey

5 months ago

Wow

5 months ago

I typed in CNA'S rights and came accross this thread, very interesting. I think we all need to vent especially in line field. But, seriously... I want to know who fights for us??? We get hurt and injured on a daily basis and I deal with extreme pain and GOD FORBID, we get injured on the job or struck by the demented. We are there to do our job yes, not to take abuse. Who handles that job? Do we continue to take abuse? :/ Oh and what about the good and efficient CNA's not only do we have to deal with abuse by the residents/patients but what about the CNA'S that don't work and then the good hard working ones get crapped on?! REALLY....!

5 months ago

Oh yeah, and what about they are trying to save money buy purchasing "more affordable" supplies like... gloves, .... the new gloves at the facility I work at you wet just the tip of your fingers and your entire hands get wet inside and proper body mechanics, how is that posible when you keep working with equipment that just does not function properly or dies out in the middle of giving care... yeah... real safe for both residents/patients and the person giving care so... please... someone, ANYONE... please advise!

Page:  « First « Previous   8  9  10  11   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.