What is considered a normal Patient:CNA Ratio? I work 24 patients:myself

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 522)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Kate in Girard, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

To all of you CNA's out there a big hats off. I am currently an LPN working in Ohio and without your help and close knit relationships with the patients I would be lost. I know that often times you are all unappreciated but I must say that I have nothing but respect for you. I work third shift and often times have 50 residents to look after. So often I will have three CNA's (or STNAs as we are told to call them) working with me. I do not envy you all for I know all of the work that you do in a night. I am NOT too good to answer a call light or help a resident to the bathroom or even clean someone up. I became a nurse to help the residents which means I am willing to do all that I can when the time allows. I have been known to stop my med pass to help someone onto the bedpan or off whatever the case may be. I can totally understand your plight. You folks are overworked but please try to understand that so are we. Like I said I have 50 residents that I must care for in a night. If something happens (a fall) I am the one that takes the hit for it because ultimately I am the one in charge. I do agree that there are those out there who for whatever reason feel they are special and shouldn't have to care for the whole patient but I am not one of them. I think that the ratios are horrible although I have yet to find a set guide for them. I have grown tired of hearing of budgets when the residents and their safety should come first. If we cannot provide them with the safety they deserve we aren't saving anyone any money. Again hats off to all of you who do your jobs to the best of your ability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

77 months ago

Thank you, Kate. Your words mean a lot to me and by everyone else here I'm sure.

I'm fortunate to work with an LPN who isn't above answering a light to the extent of taking care of that resident's request (i.e. not just turning the light off and fetching one of us to help the resident) & we love her to pieces. Recently we were critically short-staffed and she offered to drop down to be a CNA for the night & the higher-ups refused. As a straight LPN she has 68+ residents a night.

When we're short-staffed or are running behind, we're told to ask the LPN and/or RN for assistance to not create a situation of neglect. One short-staffed night my RN-as-LPN flat out told me not to ask for any help as she'd be too busy. Fortunately, that night was rather quiet and uneventful.

I'm very appreciative of the help we do get from the LPN and RN. My frustrations lie in needing help during both of our busiest times (1st & last rounds). The higher-ups don't want to hear about it because the LPNs & RNs are supposed to help...It's us CNAs who are recognizing and acknowledging that our LPNs & RNs DO have their OWN jobs to do!

So, during those crazy busy hectic frantic resident-safety-endangered nights, I constantly repeat the words of Mother Teresa: "We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, that we're now qualified to do anything with nothing." (cf Exodus 5:1-19)

Thank YOU for all YOU do Kate!

Gloria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Aurora, Indiana

77 months ago

OMG! You are so not alone!! I have worked as a CNA and an HHA for aprox. 10 years. I am also thinking about an attorney. I had been out of the nursing field for several years and decided to go back. I retook my CNA classes and was told I would be working a certain shift. I could not go in before 8:00am due to I have a son with Aspergers syndrome and he could not be left alone. They agreed it would be ok. Once I started and got my schedule, they had me coming in at 6:00am. I did the best I could. I told them working that shift was fine on the weekend. I went in and was told I would have to care for all the patients on one side of the hall by myself and another CNA would do the other side. This left us with 23 patients each. We had to feed breakfast, do showers, make beds and pass water and than get them ready for lunch. Do rounds and change the patients who needed changed, put some back to bed for a nap and chart everything. We also had to do vital signs. I went home exhausted. I spoke to my husband about it. We decided it was better for me to get out of there before I got hurt or a patient got hurt. Yes we had lift equipment but that takes time to get out and use. I spoke to the charge nurse and gave a notice that I was quiting. I felt bad for the patients but that's not caring for them when you have to throw them together. I decided to go back to Home Health where I would have more of a one on one. The problem is the nursing home where I worked is now giving me a bad reference because I quit. No job for me and I also need to pay my bills and care for my son. There has to be some way we can fight this. I 'm sure we also have rights. I will let you know if I figure something out. Good luck and God bless you for being a care giver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Daisy Flower in Orlando, Florida

77 months ago

I am happy to here from someone. Everyone know this is going on but they are afraid to speak out about it. Its not just hurting us but its hurting the patient too. Some patient are not seen or attened to if there's are no tech, cna, or team member there. Don't get me wronge there are some good nurses but not many. Alot of them are afraid they might do more than another. Don,t even want to touch the patient or get dirty. It's sad and I pray something is done about it soon. Because when you are gone the same thing continue to happen. God bless you and your family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Coatesville, Indiana

75 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

I am a CNA and also 17, and I have 29 patients at night and they are all on the hospice hall. Everyone there are basically dying or can't help me roll them. My Nurse helps me and it is very uncomfortable because I don't want her to hurt herself. She is almost 50 and rolling these 3-400 pound people. I also want to know if there is a state law against this. And if that isn't enough, they want me to get up 5 of these people.

GINGER in Loudon, Tennessee

75 months ago

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT I ALSO WORK THIRD SHIFT AND MOST OF THE TIME WE WORK WITH 2 CNA'S THAT GIVES US 28 RESIDENTS EACH AND WE STILL HAVE 19 GET UPS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

75 months ago

It bleeds into other areas, too. Last week I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. This week the final test results came in and it turns out the doc is an idiot & jumped the gun & scared the wits out of me without having run the definitive tests & waiting for the results...which were...acute pancreatitis...which is bad enough, but not cancer...and here he was telling me I have a year to live...

I need related surgery & it's scheduled for next week. It falls on a night I work so I asked a co-worker to switch shifts with me. It's in the same pay period. Management denied the request because "the house isn't full" on either night, meaning both nights are short-staffed. So what? They'll be short whether we switch shifts or not, right? Apparently, they do this hoping whoever's off will pick up the shift. I am not allowed to drive or work for 24 hours post-op. I cannot work my shift and found someone to work it for me, but they denied it. They're playing games with my health.

In a healthcare facility.

This job'll put me in the psych ward pretty soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Clayton, Ohio

75 months ago

It makes me sick. I was thankful we actually had a full staff last night (I work 12's), but 2 were brand new aides, but it still helped. The bad part is when an aide is so rude...I would rather work one aide short rather than work with a rude aide. There was a resident that was wanting up and if you don't have patience, it can get annoying. This aide told her, " I told you to be quiet. Now quit laying there like a monkey." My jaw just dropped. I couldn't believe my ears. I let the nurse know, and she's a great nurse, so I'm sure she'll follow through with watching for this girl's actions. I have my 2 wks notice, though. I can't work and pretend they don't have feelings and pretend it's just a job. I see them as humans with feelings and I feel so bad for the "short cuts" I am supposed to learn. I can't stand seeing it and I can't stand not paying them the attention they demand due to their mental/physical disabilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SUNFLOWER in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

i am sorry to hear you are being treated this way, however i am here to tell you when you start complaining they find a way to get rid of you. i am and example of that. i have be a pct/cna for 10 years and its been a rough ride. the nurses are lazy and mang. take their sides. nevertheless, it is illegal for you to have that many patient. this can be reported to osha or child and family but, i do encourage you to look for another job when you make a complaint because they will get rid of you. in this day and time its hard to find a job because of the ecomny so think twice about complaining the world is evil and people are just looking for a easy ride. what to get away without doing much. keep your head up and be strong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Janice said: LOL... perhaps you could learn how to spell chose, Dr. Sometimes it takes more than a degree to improve.

just want to say everyone is not a doctor or surg. and there are needs for great patient care tech and cna. every one can't do this job.

75 months ago

wlc1410@hotmail.com in Bedford, Indiana said: Hey,
You need to file a complaint with your Omsbudsman.And are the 24 patients on 3rd shift. That makes a big difference,cause if most of the people are sleeping than there is not that much to so. I have worked 3rd and had 30+ patients and eerything was cool. But then on day shift the patients were divided.

Just because you worked maybe 1 or 2 shift on night don't give you the right to say it's easy and 24+ patient are find. It's not and there is alot of negelect going on. I have been a tech for 9 years and i work at hospital and nursing home. there's alot more that take place at hospital than nursing home. There are more codes and the patient don't really sleep at night. They call for pain meds, and bathroom must of the time. nevermind if your on a critical floor. You as the tech is responsible for alot more than vital sign and this is night shift. So for all the people who think the night shift is a breeze you have no ideal. It really depends on where you are working and who you are working with. furtheremore, night shift is always picking up the mess from the shift before.

Shirley in Sierra Vista, Arizona

75 months ago

Well i work at a nursing home and i work day shift. And we have 35 patients to two CNA'S and it is hard. We don't get everything done with all of them in a 8 hour shift due to the fact they send 1 of us down to dining room duties for lunch and breakfast leaving one on the floor for 35 people. These people are paying well over 3000 dollars a month to stay there and don't get the right care. Who can i call and turn this in too?

75 months ago

IT'S OBVIOUS WHOEVER WROTE THIS DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THERE TALKING ABOUT BECAUSE THEY DON'T ALL SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT YOU HAVE PEOPLE WANDREING AROUND RIDING THE CALL LIGHTS YOU HAVE TO TURN AND CHANGE THEM EVERY TWO HOURS AND ON TOP OF THAT WHEN WE HAVE 28 EACH WE STILL HAVE 19 GET UPS. SO DON'T BE SAYING NIGHT SHIFT ISN'T HARD DAYSHIFT ALWAYS HAS MORE HELP THEY DON'T HAVE TO PUT THEM DOWN OR GET THEM UP.

sumflower in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

that's right morning shift is not as hard as night. we are always cleaning the mess they leave behind. the only way this dose happen there would be better mang.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Not true, Day shift which is morning shift has to come in get all vitals done for all of the people get them up dressed and ready for breakfast. Then if they have doctors appointments get them ready for that as well. Plus give around 22 showers a day and answer cll lights. Even if there are only 2 CNA'S on the floor this all has to get done. So you see it's not a walk in the park either. And no one ever said night shift was not hard. I feel no matter what shift your on it's all hard work when your short

75 months ago

THAT'S WRONG BECAUSE IF YOU DO YOUR JOB RIGHT LIKE I DO THEN YOU DON'T HAVE THAT I ALWAYS CLEAN THERE ROOMS,LAY OUT CLEAN CLOTHES FOR THEM PUT OUT THERE FEEDING TOWELS I ALWAYS TRY TO HELP THEM OUT SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD SEE IF YOUR NIGHTSHIFT CNA'S WOULD DO THE SAME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Well we do vitals on all 35 of them every day not just sundays

75 months ago

WELL GOOD FOR YOU BUT I'AM SURE YOU HAVE MORE HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Yeah right 2 cnas to all them people i wish we did have more help...

75 months ago

WELL NO WONDER YOU DON'T HAVE MORE HELP LOOK AT ATTITUDE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

You know i thought this site was for CNA'S to talk and help one another out i guess not though. And i was not having attitude just for your information. I was hoping to talk with others that are in the same boat as me. Thank you kindly for your time

sunflower in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

night shift already have plenty to do. They are already working short of staff. Please do your own work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

linda in Smithfield, North Carolina

75 months ago

Doug in Ohio said: Actually, I do work in a nursing home and 99% of the CNA's there can't even get into a nursing program because they can't pass the admittance exams. And yes, I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants.

Amen to that...I work in a nursing home as a nursing assistant and med tech......it's unreal how lazy the aides are.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Well i also work in a nursing home an i am not lazy by any means, And i just wish that some of the cna's i work with were there for the people we care for and not for the check. Any way Bless all of you on this sight for the work you all do it's not easy work but it is Gods work and bless you all for that

K. Woodby

72 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

I would have to agree. I take care of 25 to 35 residents a night get 4 up and still wash chairs and whatever else they can conspire to place on our plate.They just had a meeting and now if you call in you get written up for a no call no show plus all the other "rules" they have conspired. I live in Tn. and your right there must be some kind of By-laws somewhere but they keep them hid so we won't know when wer'e getting worked over "as if we can't tell" I thought slavery was banded with Lincoln.

K. Woodby

72 months ago

Shirley in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: Well i also work in a nursing home an i am not lazy by any means, And i just wish that some of the cna's i work with were there for the people we care for and not for the check. Any way Bless all of you on this sight for the work you all do it's not easy work but it is Gods work and bless you all for that

AMEN it is GODs work ya'll have a great and GODLY day

K. Woodby

72 months ago

Shirley in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: You know i thought this site was for CNA'S to talk and help one another out i guess not though. And i was not having attitude just for your information. I was hoping to talk with others that are in the same boat as me. Thank you kindly for your time

lady's lady's you all work extremely hard I know my wife is a cna and that's why I'm here. I'm sick and tired of the abuse all of you take. The "bosses" think the nurses help ( well they say that but we all know better,they just don't care)so it leaves 1 or 2 to take care of 25 or 35 residents. I personally admire all of ya'lls hard work 1 2 and 3rd shifts. I myself don't think I could do it and I've been in construction for years. I sympathize with all of you. My wife came home this morning telling me about a (mandatory staff meeting) they had yesterday that she accidentally slept through because she worked the night before taking care of approximately 35 patients. She loves the people and it bothers her if she forgets 1 simple thing 1 of them asks for. My point is instead of fighting join forces get "rules and regulations" books out there so they can be found by us ("lessor people" as they like to treat us.) If you know the rules and regs for your state or have a copy let the other cna's know. The big wheels can stop a gravel or 2 but they can't stop a landslide. If your in just for a check you don't need to be there but if you care you're right where GOD wants you. Ladies and Gentlemen my advice to you is get the book of r & regs for your state,join forces,and do whats right for you, your families, and most importantly your RESIDENTS. You can't do it alone. The worker can't fight money alone but combined eventually the money will expire and you will be able to live the life you should by working (not killing yourselves)but making an honest living and helping the residents because you care.I'm not saying sue them I'm saying get the rules,work togetherandjoinforce

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

72 months ago

K. Woodby said:

Yes, people! Look it up! It's there! It's real! It's from MAY 2003!!!

That's right ~ over 5 years ago, going on 6 pretty soon & how did all of those legislative changes and upgrades pan out? Any Virginians on this site? Are you experiencing a 1:10 ratio on nights? Excerpt:

"As of [July 2002], 36 states have implemented staffing standards...provide a certain number of hprd or a specific staff-to-resident ratio...beyond federal standards. In 2002, legislative activity took a different direction with state's staffing Bills focused on allowing nursing home's flexibility in determining staffing patterns. In May 2002, Delaware passed legislation allowing more flexible shift ratios for licensed direct care staff than those specified under previous law. Facilities may use the revised ratios through July 1, 2003, as long as they provide 3.28 hprd...New staff-to-resident ratios for CNAs will be 1:9 (day), 1:20 (night) with no changes to the evening ratio...Higher staffing standards will take effect if the Medicaid rate is increased to adequately cover staff costs. In 2001, 20 states introduced a total of more than 50 Bills on nursing staff standards in nursing homes. These states include AR, CA, CN, DE, FL, IL, KS, MS, MA, MN, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, PN, RI, VA, and WV. Among these states AR, FL, & CA passed legislation that strengthened their requirements. In 2000, six states (CA, DE, KY, MD, MN, and OK) enacted laws regarding nursing home staffing ratios."

I guess the Medicaid rate wasn't increased sufficiently, eh?

My MN's State Surveyors told me that the state doesn't set staffing ratios but allows the facility to set it by case mix. My DON worked for a facility that considered 1:50 on nights sufficient & would like that here, where I'm 1:33-37. If reimbursements go up to cover additional staffing, taxes go up to fund the reimbursements. We're getting a small raise via the union. The residents were notified of monthly rate increases

Gloria

72 months ago

Gloria said:

CONTINUED ~

That huge quote done ran me outta space...

One low case mix resident is now paying $7500.00 a month and/or $250/day. Residents are beginning to complain about the quality and quantity of food coming out of the kitchen to them. The facility is trying to do away with the use of incontinent products thinking they can wave a magic wand, say "ABRACADABRA!" & everyone will instantly be continent again ~ and if not, it's the CNAs' fault.

All this being said, at least this site was found and now we can all contact our state & federal legislators to see what happened, find out why someone just shrugged and threw their hands up with a "Well, at least we tried" when all these wonderful sounding plans and Bills fell thru in the end.

Maybe we have HOPE things will CHANGE now under Obama. How his plans or the plans in the above report can be pulled off without massive tax increases, I don't know. Do we want tax increases? Do we want additional staffing at the cost of a reduced take-home check?

cdomivan@tampabay,com in Pinellas Park, Florida

72 months ago

To all overworked and understaffed CNAs . They say that you can have 25 pt s to yourself on the night shift working in a hospital. However nurses are by regulation to give hands on pt care. Unfortunately they think fluffing their pillow and handing them water and pills is considered hands on.You are forgetting you are their assistant not vice verse.That is why I prefer ICU and CV ICU.There is always a nurse helping you. The only way to change things is to form a UNION. This way you wont get booted out after 20 years of experience because the new CNA will work for less. If you cant get anywhere with your nurse manager go over her head and complain to Human Re. If that does not help contact Omnibudsman or your congressman.Quit and do private duty is an option . File a written complaint as a group not just as individuals. Take pictures of the lazy , all night on the cell phone or break taking nurse on your cell phone so you have proof. Keep records of your vitals on all pt s. and what you did with your time. There is not enough time to bath , pick up left over trays,pass ice water, answer call lights. change gowns , take vitals, do Insulin Checks, fetch blood, take specimens to the lab, pick up and transport pt s from ex- ray or ER. take out trash give bedpans or weigh pt s. Nurses have to step up to the plate. Housekeeping has to their job and there are supposed to be transporters available. The more you help , the more you will be abused. And lets not forget the brown noser and relatives that work together.Hope this helps. By the way 5 Hospitals in Florida are now unionized .That means equal pay for same service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: agreed with everything the Director of nusrsing said. So there was no empathy/or understanding from the Superiors. I returned to work was reprimended and dismissed with a SUSPENSION..And I am sufferring now financially and worried how my bills will be paid (this one threw me good)..Ofcourse, I'm using this time to look for a better job and 1 closer to home because I work many miles away from my home to get to that facility (in adjoining city).

I have called that 1-800 number left a message to file a complaint but no one has yet returned my call. This is so UN FAIR...I wish I knew the right things to do. I am so tired of being mentally and emotionally abused and tredded on...only to take "crap" just because I in financial Need. I wish I could really afford a lawyer...or there were lawyers who would help people like me...even just to give a tidbit of free legal advice.

Feeling hopeless and defeated...especially since she has put my job on the line due to what looks like to me to be...a fault of theirs for being under staffed...I'm trying to figure out why is the Blame passed on ME?

Help please????????

just read the awful thing that happened to you. There are lawyers that give free legal consultations over the phone. Also Legal Aid can help. For wrongful termination. Usually you would be given a verbal warning, then a written warning. Nurse managers can be replaced, I went through 4 in 2 years. I was accused of not taking vitals on certain pt s or do insulin checks. All lies fabricated by the lazy nurse. When lab draws blood in the Am the nurse will usually tell me not to bother, she will get the numbers from lab. And If a pt is on a cardizem drip the nurse is suppose to take the vital signs.I am keeping a book at all times and write everything down on my break.Check out UNION in FLA.

Gloria

72 months ago

My place is Unionized. The Union has no say in facility policy or staffing issues.

72 months ago

no mandatory overtime through SEIU

Roberta in San Bernardino, California

71 months ago

cdomivan@tampabay,com in Pinellas Park, Florida said: just read the awful thing that happened to you. There are lawyers that give free legal consultations over the phone. Also Legal Aid can help. For wrongful termination. Usually you would be given a verbal warning, then a written warning. Nurse managers can be replaced, I went through 4 in 2 years. I was accused of not taking vitals on certain pt s or do insulin checks. All lies fabricated by the lazy nurse. When lab draws blood in the Am the nurse will usually tell me not to bother, she will get the numbers from lab. And If a pt is on a cardizem drip the nurse is suppose to take the vital signs.I am ay a book at all times and write everything down on my break.Check oumplt UNION in FLA.

It is simply amazing to me how many of these stories I can relate to. I have worked off and on as a CNA for the past 12 years. The majority of this time was in a long term care facility or nursing home. The past year and three months I have worked in a hospital. In both facilities I have expeirenced the same lame treatment as the "underdog". The reason I looked up this site is because last night I was sent home by a nursing supervisor who had a problem with my attitude as I was a bit pissed that I was left on my unit alone for the umteenth time to "care" for 16 patients. When I questioned her about the laws regarding CNA/patient ratios, not only did she not answer me but she was annoyed with my bitterness and told me to go home. I did so gladly because she pushed me to the point of no return. I am so frustrated and burnt out on the mistreatment of the patients that cant possibly receive the adequate care necessary due to understaffing. When I asked this so called professional how the patients were to receive quality care in this type of environment she told me "That is not your call." This is coming from an RN who does absolutly nothing but bark out orders and demands and will not even greet you if not an RN.

Roberta in San Bernardino, California

71 months ago

I agree with the fact that this will continue amongst our hospitals and nursing facilities if we as CNA's donot join together and voice our opinions live and in color. These "heads" will continue to treat us as uneducated, desperate, butt wipers if we continue to allow them to. I am so frustrated by the Nurse managers, supervisors, and select RN's who bond and make us out to be the underdogs when we are truly the wonderdogs. They stick together and we should also. I have went to my nurse manager with numerous complaints of being left alone on my unit which is a "stroke unit", with 16 patients to "care" for. Needless to say nothing gets done. I work the night shift also. 12 hours. beginning at 7pm and ending at 0730am. Upon leaving I am exhausted to say the least. No one in the facility seems to hear our cry. I must admit, there are good nurses out there and there are hardworking CNA's out there that actually care about others but in the same token there are many that dont. The ones that care show by responding to this forum because we know that the resident/patient is not receiving the quality of care that is necessary to their recovery or rehabilitation. Someone is going to be skipped. I am guilty of this because there is no way on earth to provide quality care to all 16 patients in one night without not completing another required task. WHAT DO WE DO? I am open for all suggestions, where as I dont know the first place to start.....bless u all!!!

Wonder Woman in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

I work for Advocate Good Sam in Downers Grove. One of the Top One 100 Hospitals in IL, and one of the top places to work (what a joke) Maybe for the nurses but not for a PCA like myself. just recently I was expecting a baby, but still had to work because I have other childern to support. I've been doing this kind of work of 7 years, and it's the same thing every where, and a thankless job. but it's been many days where I've been on my unit which is a Med surg floor with 26 beds and been forced to worked alone because of staffing, and that is common practice here, and the manager thinks that's o.k. because she feels the nurses should help, (silly girl) Which they don't. Not to say all of them don't help but the majority don't. The sooner hospitals and nursing homes realize that this profession is a team effort and not a social,class,or education status that mandates who does what to the patient, the quality of care will be much better. But I'm not sticking around to deal with the politics of it. I'm six months shy of becoming a Broadcast journalist, and can't wait to expose all the dirt I know. But Teamwork makes the Dream Work!!!!!

Margie in Sierra Vista, Arizona

71 months ago

I am a CNA And work day shift i have 20 people yeah it's really hard work. I think that if we as CNA'S Do work like we do we should find a way to get more money. Maybe if we write to our Goverment and demand that CNA'S starting pay should be no less then 15 hour just maybe we can do something together as a team

Gloria

71 months ago

Margie in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: Maybe if we write to our Goverment and demand that CNA'S starting pay should be no less then 15 hour just maybe we can do something together as a team

& where will that pay raise come from? By raising taxes. Do you want a higher hourly wage but the same take home pay as now because taxes were raised? That's what it'd amount to, even if there is a lot ~ & I mean a LOT ~ of wasteful government spending. I just dont' have a lot of hope of our governemtn getting its act together and trimming off the fat let alone the pork and putting our monies to good use.

Gloria

71 months ago

Wonder Woman in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm six months shy of becoming a Broadcast journalist, and can't wait to expose all the dirt I know. But Teamwork makes the Dream Work!!!!!

Don't stay shy! Go for it! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Gloria

71 months ago

Roberta in San Bernardino, California said: Someone is going to be skipped. I am guilty of this because there is no way on earth to provide quality care to all 16 patients in one night without not completing another required task. WHAT DO WE DO? I am open for all suggestions, where as I dont know the first place to start.....bless u all!!!

I'm open to suggestions, too. Granted, I don't know all what's entailed to do for your 16, but on the face of it that sounds like a cakewalk compared to my 35 on nights. One of our new residents is a behaviour problem and very time consuming. I was told to keep track of how much time I spent in his room & to chart it & I did & when I reported back to the LPN for her charting, the Unit Manager was present & overheard me say "103 minutes" she told me, "Well, that's what you're paid to do. It makes up for all the time you don't spend with others."

What about all the time it takes away from other residents, eh? One night not long ago I spent one 2 hour round bouncing back & forth between 3 Behaviour Residents while 32 other residents were skipped.

The facility's trying to save money so we're constantly short on briefs/incontinent products, but we're told that if we're doing our jobs right, the products wouldn't be needed to begin with.

The "something up my craw" right now, though, is being told that Nights has a "time management problem" when the problem is that 1 CNA doesn't have the time to manage 35 residents. I don't know how to respond to the charge of "time management problem" in a way that won't get turned on us. The answer's there, but I can't put my finger on it just yet. It's not like how an LPN has X-amount of time to do paperwork in between med passes. Paperwork and residents aren't the same thing.

71 months ago

I remember an incident where the unit manager was on vacation. And the same old abuse was going on. Some CNAS went high up in the chain of command and the vice president put on a uniform and posed as trainee. The heads were rolling and the manager was dismissed.This gave me hope to stay another year.

drivenforchange in Bristol, Tennessee

71 months ago

Honey I really Know where ur coming from Ive done too.I worked in VA had 25 pts
morning shift,To get up get bathed ,get dressed,make sure all the feeders got fed 2 meals,dryrounds in between that time.8hrs? Sometimes well most of the time it felt impossiable.Sometimes i didnt get out of there in 10hrs=12hrs.
If you really want to know about how many cna to pt ratio is contact ur department of social services im sure they would know.(State)lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maggie in Tucson, Arizona

71 months ago

You know even contacting state department for ratio does not help. I work day shift and have 18 people i take care of as well. And it is heck to do this. But when someome tryed to cotact state and they came the managment fully loaded us with more help then we could ask for on our floors. Soon as state left back to being short again and back to 10 people myself. So what can you really do about that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria

71 months ago

Check out: Nursing Assistant Resources on the Web where this was found: nursingassistants.net/2008/01/26/staffing-ratios-each-state/ . Source: www.nccnhr.org/uploads/HarringtonStatestaffingtableRevisedJan2008.pdf (updated January 2008 & posted 1-26-08) Summation: Staffing ratios- CNA/Resident– per state:

AK NONE
AL NONE
AR DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:9 NIGHTS: 1:14 (This can include nurses)
AZ NONE
CA NONE
CO NONE
CT NONE
DC DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
DE DAYS: 1:7 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
FL NONE
GA NONE
HI NONE
IA NONE
ID NONE
IL NONE
IN NONE
KS NONE
KY NONE
LA NONE
MA NONE
MD NONE
ME DAYS: 1:5 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15 (This can include nurses)
MI DAYS: 1:8 EVENINGS: 1:12 NIGHTS: 1:15
MN NONE
MO NONE
MS NONE
MT **Complicated formula used; 4 hours care for each resident; no actual mandated numbers of staff**
NC NONE
ND NONE
NE NONE
NH NONE
NJ NONE
NM NONE
NV NONE
NY NONE
OH 1:15
OK DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:8 NIGHTS: 1:15
OR DAYS: 1:10 EVENINGS: 1:15 NIGHTS: 1:20
PA NONE
RI NONE
SC DAYS: 1:9 EVENINGS: 1:13 NIGHTS: 1:22
SD NONE
TN NONE
TX NONE
UT NONE
VA NONE
VT NONE
WA NONE
WI NONE
WV NONE
WY NONE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

clutzy in Yuba City, California

68 months ago

i also work as a noc shift cna and as a rule have 22 residents a piece. Not only that but they expect us to get up 4 people in the morning, change all the others, pass out water pitchers, vitals, answer lights, turn people a specific direction every 2 hrs. Now i know thats all part of the job description but, it gets to be to much and they think we can handle more. Not only that but its not fair to the residence... Does anyone know the cna to patient ratio for a nursing facility?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

WHERE I WORK I WORK NIGHTS TO AND NO IT'S NOT FAIR ALOT OF THE TIME WE HAVE JUST 2 CNA WE HAVE 28 RESIDENTS EACH WITH 17 GET UPS AND WHEN WE HAVE 3 CNA WE STILL HAVE 18 EACH AND 17 GET UPS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in Ely, Minnesota

67 months ago

overworked and underappreciated in Niota, Tennessee said: I work the 10p-6a ahift in a skilled nursing home. On the schedule we have 4 CNA's per shift (for 75 residents). Many times we have only 3, occasionally 2. Management throws overtime, bonuses and gift cards to anyone willing to work extra on days and evenings but night shift always gets the shaft. Management thinks all the "angels" sleep at night and our shift is a breeze. We do have a few good ones, but not many. Call lights on all night. Mr. I Can't Sleep So Nobody Else Will screaming all night. Trying to get through first round and before you get halfway done, the first person whose butt you changed is yelling that they dribbled and need changed again NOW!!! Is it any wonder turnover is so high? Can't wait until I can go back to school. And NOT in the medical field.

I'm laughing ~ sorry: I have to or I'll start screaming & never stop & land in a psych facility. Your tale is very familiar. Right now, I'm 1:33 on my unit. If 5 are scheduled for the facility on nights & someone calls in, they don't fill it, but a call in on days or afternoons? BEGGING you to fill it...I don't know what the hell happened on PMs yesterday but last night I had 8 bed changes on 1st rounds! EIGHT! (Our facility has discontinued using soaker pads as "they cause skin breakdown" ~ I wonder when so many bed changes will cause back breakdown...) 2 linen closets were run out by 2AM. Thank God I'm now on a 5 night mini vacation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rcac CNA in Stratford, Wisconsin

67 months ago

COTAMAN said: LOL... I remember those days about twenty years ago. Decided wiping butts and emptying bed pans was not worth minimum wage. I went back to college and choice Occupational Therapy as my new career. Did that for about twenty years and went back to school again. This time I became a Doctor in Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery. Maybe you two need to think about improving yourselves and get a degree. Unfortunately, people look at you as a person not for who you are inside but by the degree of education. I am living proof.

Hey, I'm also 'just' ;) a CNA, and I work in a place called an RCAC. It's more like a step before a CBRF, and two steps before a nursing home. I work the PM shift 3pm - 11pm. There are days that I like where I work, and days that I go home thinking 'what the hell did I get myself into.' Right now we're running 17 residents to 1 staff, with a nurse on call. This is how a typical day for me goes: 3-3:30 get report, count narcotics, and get my med cart prepared for my 4pm med pass ~ from 3:30 until 4:45 I pass meds and do blood sugars and insulin. At 4:45 I serve dinner 5:30 I clean up from dinner and start my cares. 5:30 to 6:30 I do showers, laundry, resident's dishes in their apartments, 6:30 I start my 8pm med pass, and during my med pass I do H.S. cares on all residents along w/ H.S. treatments, and meds. In between all this i have a phone on me at all times to answer life line calls, because we don't have a call light system. They run this place with only one staff 24 hrs a day, and have a nurse that's supposed to be on call, but whenever I need her for a med ? or emergency she never answers her phone. It sometimes feels like so much responsibility that I just want to scream, and all of my residents seem to want everything done at the same time- one night I got 4 calls at the same time - come take my teds off - come change my ostomy bag - my catheter bag is really full - i need a pain pill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rcac CNA in Stratford, Wisconsin

67 months ago

rcac CNA in Stratford, Wisconsin said: Hey, I'm also 'just' ;) a CNA, and I work in a place called an RCAC. It's more like a step before a CBRF, and two steps before a nursing home. I work the PM shift 3pm - 11pm. There are days that I like where I work, and days that I go home thinking 'what the hell did I get myself into.' Right now we're running 17 residents to 1 staff, with a nurse on call. This is how a typical day for me goes: 3-3:30 get report, count narcotics, and get my med cart prepared for my 4pm med pass ~ from 3:30 until 4:45 I pass meds and do blood sugars and insulin. At 4:45 I serve dinner 5:30 I clean up from dinner and start my cares. 5:30 to 6:30 I do showers, laundry, resident's dishes in their apartments, 6:30 I start my 8pm med pass, and during my med pass I do H.S. cares on all residents along w/ H.S. treatments, and meds. In between all this i have a phone on me at all times to answer life line calls, because we don't have a call light system. They run this place with only one staff 24 hrs a day, and have a nurse that's supposed to be on call, but whenever I need her for a med ? or emergency she never answers her phone. It sometimes feels like so much responsibility that I just want to scream, and all of my residents seem to want everything done at the same time- one night I got 4 calls at the same time - come take my teds off - come change my ostomy bag - my catheter bag is really full - i need a pain pill.

I love my job because of the residents, and hate my job because of the Upper Level Management. I quoted a person earlier because I just wanted him/her to know that I'm really glad she/he's not a CNA any longer, because I wouldn't want them caring for anyone that I knew. We all have it rough being a CNA, and I can only hope that in the future if we need SNF level of care, that we have a CNA that cares as much as we do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tra in Cordova, Tennessee

67 months ago

There should be a law against this mess. I work in a hospital, and my floor house 40 rooms and the other night I went in-I was the only PCA with 36 pts. I was MAD. I work 12 hr days 7p-7a. If i did everythg they wanted i would not be able to care for my family. On the 11p-7a shift:get everyones vitals-record in computer-look in on each every hour and chart in computer-help those that call out all night. At 4a get vitals again-get output-ask about intake-weight everyone and chart all. pull linen bags and do your assigned chore. This is insane.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.