What is considered a normal Patient:CNA Ratio? I work 24 patients:myself

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 523)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Ashlee in Kissimmee, Florida

62 months ago

I believe the Cna to Patient ratio in Florida is 1~20 pts during the night shift.
You may need to call the state on that issue!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

liasha1010 in Las Vegas, Nevada

60 months ago

Doug in Ohio said: Actually, I do work in a nursing home and 99% of the CNA's there can't even get into a nursing program because they can't pass the admittance exams. And yes, I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants.

I am very sadden by your comment because if you know that your co workers are not preforming there job skills than it reflects poorly on you. Ex.: If I am with an individual that commit a crime... I am an accessory. Therefore, YOU are no different from the lazy individuals that you speak of. I believe that the standard and goal of health care it to do no harm. How helpful have you been if you did not stand up and report these individuals. It doesnt take extreme intelligence to love and no matter who you are... you have the human aptitude to provide care with respect and compassion.
I have worked in Michigan and in Las Vegas and the standard of care is more often poor at most facilities. The business of long term care is a 24 hour and 7day a week business. The company collect there fees even when staff is short. They could easily add an additional percentage on to staff when working short. The government is not doing enough to monitor or police these big organizations.
My word of advice is never take an assignment that is too large. No matter how great of an employee you are the company totally forgets that when there is an injury to a patient. Bottom line they will fire you with the quickness. Ideally during the day shift eight patient per CNA is appropiate. Afternoons 8-10 patient per CNA. Midnight shift 10-12 per CNA. However, 15 should never be the norm or a daily routine. If your facility standards are poor and the staff to patient ratio is high complain. To the state board and to cooperate. Document everyday who and what you have. You never know when things are going to go bad and if you write it down you cover yourself. Go home sick if the work load is over 25!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

marymuwesi in Newark, New Jersey

60 months ago

i want to became licensed as a cna i want to pass my state exam which book ican read which website i can go to read wonna get my license.please help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ja in Providence, Rhode Island

60 months ago

I WENT TO A LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE FOR MY CNA CLASSES AND PART OF THOSE CLASSES ARE
YOUR PHYSICAL CLINICAL PATIENT TRAINING. YOU ALSO SHOULD DO AN INTERNSHIP OR THE REQUIRED CLINICAL OF AT LEAST 32 HOURS WITH THE SCHOOL YOU ATTEND AS PART OF YOUR COURSE.
THE RHODE ISLAND STATE EXAM IS GIVEN BY A NATIONAL COMPANY CALLED NNAAP (NATIONAL NUSES AIDE ASSESSMENT PROGRAM. (LOOK UP) PEARSON/VUE
THIS CONSIST OF APROX 80 WRITTEN QUESTIONS AND AT LEAST 5 CLINICAL SKILLS. WHICH CAN RANGE FROM : BP/RESP/PULSE/RANGE OF MOTION/AMBULATE PATIENT/MEASUREMENT OF URINE OUTPUT/ FEEDING SKILLS/ WEIGHT/ BED CHANGE WITH AND WITHOUT PATIENT/ ETC. YOU WILL NOT KNOW WHICH SKILL YOU WILL BE GIVEN. IF YOU GO INTO YOUR NEW JERSEY STATE LICENSE REQUIREMENTS, TESTING, YOU SHOULD FIND HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. IF YOU CALL UP PEARSON YOU MAY BE ABLE TO PUT IN YOUR LOCAL STATE AND OBTAIN THE BOOK. IT WILL ALSO COST TO REGISTER, FOR THE TEST AND LICENSE, LIKE $100.00 I ATTACHED THE LNK FOR YOU TO TAKE A LOOK AT, THIS WILL AT LEAST GET YOU SOMEWHERE. JUST REMEMBER IF IT IS FREE -- BEWARE, I DO A LOT OF READING ON THESE FORUMS AND THE INFO IS PRETTY BAD. GOOD LUCK.
Pearson VUE: Test Taker Services
Pearson VUE delivers computer-based certification and licensure tests for various ... New Hampshire Appraisers · New Hampshire Nurse Aides · New Jersey ...
www.vue.com/programs/ - Cached - Similar

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cdomivan@tampabay,com in Seminole, Florida

60 months ago

Lets not be so quick to judge, many foreign nurses cant spell . Example: The chart read the mans uterus was inflamed, she was suppose to write urethra. Anyways most techs chart numbers and make checks in the computer. Its all about common sense. A genuine compassion to help the patient. Who cares if this person cant spell as long as she can perform good patient care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ja in Riverside, Rhode Island

60 months ago

EVERYONE KNOWS THAT IN THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY, ONE WRONG SUFFIX OR PREFIX CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE REPORTING OF A PATIENT'S CONDITION. IF ANY PERSON OF ANY MEDICAL TRADE INTENDED TO CHECK THIS, BUT MARKED THAT, IT IS A GREAT CONCERN. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PERSON THEMSELVES AS AN INDIVIDUAL, IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH A LOT OF VERY EXPERIENCED, SMART ACHIEVING NEW STUDENTS, WHOM CAN SURPASS THESE ERRORS, AND WE ARE ALL LONGING TO BECOME GREAT ASSETS WITH OUR CURRENT AND POSSIBLE CONTINUING CAREERS. AFTER MANY EXTENSIVE INTERVIEWS WITHIN MAJOR SECTORS, THE FIRST CONCERNS WERE THE TERMINOLOGY, AND YOUR ABILITY TO RECORD CORRECTLY, WHICH MEANS PROPER SPELLING IN THE FIELD. THIS IS A GREAT CONCERN AND ALMOST BECOMES INSULTING. CAN YOU IMAGINE IF YOU WERE IN A CRITICAL CARE UNIT, AND SOMEONE MEANT THIS AND CHECKED THAT. BESIDES, IF RN'S ARE BURNT AND TIRED, THEY CAN'T SHADOW EVERY MOVE A CNA OR OTHER STAFF ASSISTANT DOES, IF THEY DO THEN THEY HAVE NO NEED FOR THE EMPLOYMENT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

feed-up cna in Richmond, Virginia

60 months ago

I hear a lot of cna talking about doing cna work for the wrong reason.Well I'll tell the truth I do this job for ONE reason and ONE reason only THE MONEY. I'm a darn good worker always getting koodoos about my work and the first one to help another aide if needed. Not blowing my own horn but when other aides give you koodoos you're doing something right and it's not about love for the residents it's about having a work ethic that makes you do the best job you can do. I LOVED my mother and took care of her and would never put someone I CARED about in a nursing facility. It's a two way street there are sorry nurses and aides.So those of you that do this kind of work for reasons other than a pay check GIVE YOUR PAY CHECK TO CHARITY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nicky in Mount Vernon, Ohio

60 months ago

I beleive the ratio is 15 residents to one cna

GINGER in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I WORK FOR A NURSING HOME IN LOUDON TENNESSEE WE HAVE TO WORK MOSTLY WITH ONLY 2 CNA'S ON OUR STATION THAT GIVES US 28 PEOPLE EACH AND THIRTEEN GET UPS ON 3RD,SHIFT WHAT REALLY IS CNA PATIENT RATIO

Miss Jane Doe 67 in Des Plaines, Illinois

59 months ago

Hey ja, in Riverside, Rhode Island

Quick question for you. Do you know where the cap lock key is on your keyboard? You might want to hit it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ja in Cranston, Rhode Island

59 months ago

Miss Jane Doe 67 in Des Plaines, Illinois said: Hey ja, in Riverside, Rhode Island

Quick question for you. Do you know where the cap lock key is on your keyboard? You might want to hit it.

SURE DO..!! WHY DOES THIS BOTHER YOU?. See there is a whole bunch of people that can not read
nor absorb what some of these people write. It's a great attention getter.!!! IT GOT YOUR'S..!!!!
You need to have a small sense of humor these days, but really take a few hours and read some of the old things in this forum web site, and even things that have nothing do do with any of your interest or questions, it's pretty sad. A lot of people need to go back to school. Have a wonderful day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Jane Doe 67 in Des Plaines, Illinois

59 months ago

ja in Cranston, Rhode Island said: SURE DO..!! WHY DOES THIS BOTHER YOU?. See there is a whole bunch of people that can not read
nor absorb what some of these people write. It's a great attention getter.!!! IT GOT YOUR'S..!!!!
You need to have a small sense of humor these days, but really take a few hours and read some of the old things in this forum web site, and even things that have nothing do do with any of your interest or questions, it's pretty sad. A lot of people need to go back to school. Have a wonderful day.
It bothers me, (and a lot of other people) because IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING!!!

And it's hard to read. And only dumb people seem to do it, and you don't seem dumb, but the caps lock obscures your message.

Thought you should know....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ja in Cranston, Rhode Island

59 months ago

Hey, no feelings hurt. I actually dumped the windows based computers, and bought an apple mac. !
what a wonderful system. So on my side the clarity of the typing, format, not to mention the photography is fantastic. ! For the intelligent folks out there it probably is annoying, but then there are folks who need a little help reading. hey let me ask you some professional educational questions.
been to chicago and back. I've been looking at the job market in an around the medical scene, did the medical billing and coding, the cna education, I have a huge production manufacture back ground.
Just about "hopefully" going to land a part time job in medical data systems for a records research program here in new england, but was going to further the education on the technical skills, ekg's,
phlebotomy, not sure about the lpn thing, it's getting faded out, what is the real truth to landing the
phlebotomy positions, the cna stuff isn't my cup of tea unless you get into a hospital, these
forums I have been reading do not sound promising, especially with all the money we all are spending.

have a great day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CALI'S FINEST in San Bernardino, California

59 months ago

Gloria said: Wow. I came looking for mandated CNA:Resident ratios & got an eyeful of everything else ~ things are bad all over everywhere & mandated ratios fly out the window when it comes to short-staffing (which is profitable to the facility, especially when states don't enforce penalties ~ hence, all the lawsuits)...

I'm a CNA looking at going for LPN & RN simply because of the overwork. There wasn't so much paperwork when I became a CNA & I didn't want to go to LPN because it meant more paperwork & less patient contact.

I'm not as brainless and uneducated as some might think. For the life of me, I cannot understand how some people look down on those caring for the elderly and/or "their loved ones". I once heard of us being referred to as P.A.W.s (Professional A___ Wipers). Unbelieveable! Then again, people often dislike in others what they dislike in themselves, so I must wonder: do people look down on us because we care, because they wouldn't think of doing what we do (including caring for their loved ones), because they don't think the elderly deserve care, or what?

I could go down a gripe list of my own here but all y'all have pretty well covered everything & I'd just be redundant. This isn't about me. It's about the residents and patients. If it's bad for them, it's bad for me. Short-staffing for profit is bad for them. Hazardous work conditions are bad for them.

The problems are systemic & that has nothing to do with us.

Oh my goodness. You are so right. I also came here looking for CNA/patient ratios and I am blown away at the comments I am reading. Why? Because I feel the same way. I am also a CNA. I work at a hospital on a Medical Intensive Care unit. I am the only CNA at night unless I am lucky enough to have a float sent to me from another floor. Our unit holds 16 patients. Some of the other units have a total of 24 patients and only one lone soldier. TO BE CONTINUED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in Floodwood, Minnesota

59 months ago

CALI'S FINEST in San Bernardino, California said: If anyone knows what the CNA/Patient ratio is for night, please let us know.

On the last page of this forum's comments I posted a link & listed the ratios by state & it was posted 7 months ago so it's near the top of the last page if the links in this copy-and-paste (below) don't work:

Nursing Assistant Resources on the Web where this was found: nursingassistants.net/2008/01/26/staffing-ratios-each-state/ . Source: www.nccnhr.org/uploads/HarringtonStatestaffingtableRevisedJan2008.pdf (updated January 2008 & posted 1-26-08) Summation: Staffing ratios- CNA/Resident– per state:

AK NONE
AL NONE
AR DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:9 NIGHTS: 1:14 (This can include nurses)
AZ NONE
CA NONE
CO NONE
CT NONE
DC DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
DE DAYS: 1:7 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
FL NONE
GA NONE
HI NONE
IA NONE
ID NONE
IL NONE
IN NONE
KS NONE
KY NONE
LA NONE
MA NONE
MD NONE
ME DAYS: 1:5 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15 (This can include nurses)
MI DAYS: 1:8 EVENINGS: 1:12 NIGHTS: 1:15
MN NONE
MO NONE
MS NONE
MT **Complicated formula used; 4 hours care for each resident; no actual mandated numbers of staff**
NC NONE
ND NONE
NE NONE
NH NONE
NJ NONE
NM NONE
NV NONE
NY NONE
OH 1:15
OK DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:8 NIGHTS: 1:15
OR DAYS: 1:10 EVENINGS: 1:15 NIGHTS: 1:20
PA NONE
RI NONE
SC DAYS: 1:9 EVENINGS: 1:13 NIGHTS: 1:22
SD NONE
TN NONE
TX NONE
UT NONE
VA NONE
VT NONE
WA NONE
WI NONE
WV NONE
WY NONE

Currently I'm working 1:28-35 on NOCs altho' the facility's hired more staff to bring it to 1:21 tops (but the new staff cut my hours).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CALI'S FINEST in San Bernardino, California

59 months ago

Gloria in Floodwood, Minnesota said: On the last page of this forum's comments I posted a link & listed the ratios by state & it was posted 7 months ago so it's near the top of the last page if the links in this copy-and-paste (below) don't work:

Nursing Assistant Resources on the Web where this was found: nursingassistants.net/2008/01/26/staffing-ratios-each-state/ . Source: www.nccnhr.org/uploads/HarringtonStatestaffingtableRevisedJan2008.pdf (updated January 2008 & posted 1-26-08) Summation: Staffing ratios- CNA/Resident– per state:

AK NONE
AL NONE
AZ NONE
CA NONE
CO NONE
CT NONE
FL NONE
GA NONE
HI NONE
IA NONE
ID NONE
IL NONE
IN NONE
KS NONE
KY NONE
LA NONE
MA NONE
MD NONE
MN NONE
MO NONE
MS NONE
MT **Complicated formula used; 4 hours care for each resident; no actual mandated numbers of staff**
NC NONE
ND NONE
NE NONE
NH NONE
NJ NONE
NM NONE
NV NONE
NY NONE
PA NONE
RI NONE
SD NONE
TN NONE
TX NONE
UT NONE
VA NONE
VT NONE
WA NONE
WI NONE
WV NONE
WY NONE

Currently I'm working 1:28-35 on NOCs altho' the facility's hired more staff to bring it to 1:21 tops (but the new staff cut my hours).

Thank you dearly Gloria!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in Ely, Minnesota

59 months ago

CALI'S FINEST in San Bernardino, California said: Thank you dearly Gloria!

You're very welcome. I wish it was more helpful. :^)

danielle in Baltimore, Maryland

58 months ago

i currently work in a nursing home and was wondering what the gna to resident ratios normally are on 7-3 shift. i feel so over worked under appreciated they expect use to get people up, feed, do weights vitals take out own trash and linen, there are demanding families which demand 2 hour rounds on residents while there are others which havent even had a first round. today we were short and in the middle of passing trays a very demanding resident started crying that she needed to be up by 9 am to smoke we told her we were short and she had to wait. the don then told us that we needed to stop passing trays to get her up really quick. there is nothin g about getting this women up really quick she can not move and is a hoyer lift. i just dont understand how it is fair that she gets her way but yet there are people that still need to eat and be changed. they say that since medicare got cut we have to get cut. if they are doing so bad finacially then why is the dons office getting remodeled with new hardwood floors and they are getting new furniture for their meeting rooms, new patio furniture outside which residents cant even use because the chairs are chained around it and most residents are in wheel chairs. i am only 21 and i am having terrible back problems i am a student and working full time i want to go prn until i can find another job but i just have too many bills nd taking are of a child. the only thing i can think is that one day it will pay off it has too.. woo hooo i just needed to vent i think my fiance is tired of hearing it lol, no he didnt say that but no one really understands what its like until they actually do it themselves . why cant these administrator and dons trade places just for a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

ja in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

58 months ago

My heart goes out to you. I also was told the salary could only pay some horrible low rate while they are building this 1. million extension on a building. Keep complaining, you need to vent to keep your sanity for yourself. You will suddenly hear yourself, and a sudden answer will happen within yourself.
Just remember, you need to convince yourself your the best, and walk the future so your children will remember and it will be the greatest lesson you could ever give them.." achievement, faith, strength,
and be proud of your goals. " they are difficult, an it may feel like the rewards are far off, but just think, you do have your young age ahead, there are many people who have to start life over in this economic times, and much older, and even harder for some of them to compete.
keep an upper chin.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in Embarrass, Minnesota

58 months ago

danielle in Baltimore, Maryland said: i currently work in a nursing home and was wondering what the gna to resident ratios normally are on 7-3 shift.

Check out: Nursing Assistant Resources on the Web where this was found: nursingassistants.net/2008/01/26/staffing-ratios-each-state/ . Source: www.nccnhr.org/uploads/HarringtonStatestaffingtableRevisedJan2008.pdf (updated January 2008 & posted 1-26-08) Summation: Staffing ratios- CNA/Resident– per state:

AK NONE
AL NONE
AZ NONE
CA NONE
CO NONE
CT NONE
FL NONE
GA NONE
HI NONE
IA NONE
ID NONE
IL NONE
IN NONE
KS NONE
KY NONE
LA NONE
MA NONE
MD NONE
MN NONE
MO NONE
MS NONE
NC NONE
ND NONE
NE NONE
NH NONE
NJ NONE
NM NONE
NV NONE
NY NONE
PA NONE
RI NONE
SD NONE
TN NONE
TX NONE
UT NONE
VA NONE
VT NONE
WA NONE
WI NONE
WV NONE
WY NONE

SusieQ in Martins Ferry, Ohio

58 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the CNA-patient ratios change in a behavioral facility with younger, more demanding patients as compared to a nursing home with older, more dependent patients. thanks.

amazing in Carey, Ohio

58 months ago

Been There in Modesto, California said: Several years ago, I took a position with a local nursing home as a discharge planner. Unfortunately, the cna's in this facility did not work hard. I found them on break just about every hour and the patients were not cared for. I would answer call lights myself even though, I was not a floor nurse and not hired to provide direct patient care.
The Nursing director, myself and several staff nurses held a meeting to address the inadequacy of patient care because of these nurses aides. The aides became very angry, there really was no postive outcome. It was a very frustrating situation and one of the reasons I left. It was a shame too, because each aide had no more than 7 patients each day, the elderly patients should have been given decent care.

I think it is so funny, how people like you that sit behind their sorry little desks, all day and feel you have done something. Just because you are not a floor nurse, does not mean you can't answer a call light when walking by. Perhaps you were the one, not giving adequate care to a patient, not wanting to answer a call light. Secondly, if you found a CNA on break every hour what kind of work were you getting done. Trying to check to see if someone was on break for every hour. You are a brown nosing snitch. I am sure the reason why you left had nothing to do with you being frustrated. It was because your lazy and no one likes a snitch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

amazing in Carey, Ohio

58 months ago

cdomivan@tampabay,com in Pinellas Park, Florida said: I remember an incident where the unit manager was on vacation. And the same old abuse was going on. Some CNAS went high up in the chain of command and the vice president put on a uniform and posed as trainee. The heads were rolling and the manager was dismissed.This gave me hope to stay another year.

That person that went up in the chain of command had some balls to stand up for themselves. An that vice president was excellent for taking charge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

amazing in Carey, Ohio

58 months ago

feed-up cna in Richmond, Virginia said: I hear a lot of cna talking about doing cna work for the wrong reason.Well I'll tell the truth I do this job for ONE reason and ONE reason only THE MONEY. I'm a darn good worker always getting koodoos about my work and the first one to help another aide if needed. Not blowing my own horn but when other aides give you koodoos you're doing something right and it's not about love for the residents it's about having a work ethic that makes you do the best job you can do. I LOVED my mother and took care of her and would never put someone I CARED about in a nursing facility. It's a two way street there are sorry nurses and aides.So those of you that do this kind of work for reasons other than a pay check GIVE YOUR PAY CHECK TO CHARITY.

Hell yeah!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rena in Auburn, California

58 months ago

I have been a CNA for going on 10 years now, and have worked all three shifts. I will NEVER be caught saying that any one shift is any harder or easier than any other- they all have their difficulties.
AM shift has the most activity going on. Difficult family members, activities, lunch, showers, naps, and more... To make up for all these duties (and then some!), AM shift generally has fewer residents than the other shifts.
PM shift is a little quieter, doing vitals, getting people up for dinner, still dealing with family (though less than AM shift has to, by far), giving showers, and so on. With only one meal, there are fewer time restrictions, and that is usually balanced by mgmt. by giving PMs more patients than AMs.
Night shift is supposedly the quietest shift. SUPPOSED TO BE. It seems they "balanced it out" by giving us more residents, without realizing what really happens on Nocs. Sundowners patients act completely different at night time, causing erratic behavior no other shift may see, including violence, confusion, and increased risk of falls. Parkinsons patients frequently have issues at night- a former patient of mine who had Parkinsons would use the toilet 2-3 times a day, but at night, she could go 30+ times! There are worriers who ring every five minutes just to ensure that someone is there, and often the heavies get-ups are night shifts because there is NO WAY to get all the heavies & combatives up in the short time before breakfast on AMs.
I often have to clock out and continue working at the end of the shift in order to finish the job, or risk getting in trouble for not finishing. Again, I've been doing this for 10 years, and am by no means a slow CNA. It really irks me to hear ANY shift complaining about another! We all work damn hard, and it doesn't make it any better getting flak from the people who are supposed to be our "teammates"!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in Two Harbors, Minnesota

58 months ago

We all work damn hard, and it doesn't make it any better getting flak from the people who are supposed to be our "teammates"!

Excellent post, Rena! Well said! Bravo!

Ummm...What's a teammate? :^D

I have 2 current beefs to add to the heap: we now have a new charting system that takes twice as long as the old system & that makes a huge difference on NOCs and we've recently gone through a period of being short on incontinent briefs. A week and a half of scrambling to find any kind of product for the resident to have just so they have something & all the while knowing State could walk in and cite us for having residents in the incorrect product.

We're to wave a magic wand & have everybody 100% continent soasto not need product. People should be as continent horizontal in deep sleep as they are up and awake (and as quick to the bathroom from bed as from wheelchair). We're to hoyer sleeping people into the bathroom every round. Our ratio varies from 1:16 to 1:34 depending on what night it is.

We do not have wet wipes nor access to cloths and towels. There are no soaker pads or chux in the building and we're not allowed to use drawsheets anymore. We've been told that we're using too much soap & lotion and gloves. The supply cabinets look like Mother Hubbard's cupboards. Wet beds are a sign of incompetence.

Morale? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee................

Yeah, every shift has its pros & cons, but every shift should at least have the necessary stuff to do their jobs as best possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

sho0hio in Ashtabula, Ohio

57 months ago

GINGER in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I WORK FOR A NURSING HOME IN LOUDON TENNESSEE WE HAVE TO WORK MOSTLY WITH ONLY 2 CNA'S ON OUR STATION THAT GIVES US 28 PEOPLE EACH AND THIRTEEN GET UPS ON 3RD,SHIFT WHAT REALLY IS CNA PATIENT RATIO

That is horrible!... I am in ohio.ashtabula.. and im glad my palce isnt alone with 3rds busting ass.. i have right now 1 to 30 ratio with lots of behavioral issues.. and IM WONDERING THE SAME...what is the ratio by law..and WHY CANT ANYONE SEEM TO FIND OUT?>

ja in Providence, Rhode Island

57 months ago

hi, been reading a lot of the ratios out there. I just picked up a position in med care and alzheimer's care. the ratio is 1/4. I will only have 4 clients to work with in a total memory program. no matter what shift. this is total involvement with their lives and families. the key here is that you need to really do your search, check with the state involving the homes, assistant living, hospital, and research the patient/staff reporting abuse. you need to stay away from those places.. it took me over 1 year to find this place and I am pleased. this place cares about their patients. most places are built around medicare/ medicaid payments. that is why the ratio is high as well as they cannot get staffing. that is the biggest clue. the higher the patient staffing "get Out" your license is on the line for a disaster to happen and they wont stick up for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Stony Brook, New York

57 months ago

I am tired of the complaints....you are there to take care of PEOPLE. Be kind....prisoners get better treatment and attention.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

Bev. in Memphis, Tennessee said: agreed with everything the Director of nusrsing said. So there was no empathy/or understanding from the Superiors. I returned to work was reprimended and dismissed with a SUSPENSION..And I am sufferring now financially and worried how my bills will be paid (this one threw me good)..Ofcourse, I'm using this time to look for a better job and 1 closer to home because I work many miles away from my home to get to that facility (in adjoining city).

I have called that 1-800 number left a message to file a complaint but no one has yet returned my call. This is so UN FAIR...I wish I knew the right things to do. I am so tired of being mentally and emotionally abused and tredded on...only to take "crap" just because I in financial Need. I wish I could really afford a lawyer...or there were lawyers who would help people like me...even just to give a tidbit of free legal advice.

Feeling hopeless and defeated...especially since she has put my job on the line due to what looks like to me to be...a fault of theirs for being under staffed...I'm trying to figure out why is the Blame passed on ME?

Help please????????

Unfortunately this is the norm at many facilities. Can't recall the exact figures for patient to CNA radio but it is very high. You should have gotten your people up because day shift is in just as bad shape as the night shift. Once day shift comes in you know they are going to raise heck because they now have to complete night work and day shift work. Keep in mind that CNA's are not to sit down except for a 15 min break and a 30 min break. Maybe a second 10-15 minute break. I know this does not seem right but unfortunately that is the work of a CNA. To help your self, wash wheelchairs down quickly after meals, wash bedside stands when providing care, rinse urinals and bedpans well after each use, know your patients and chart as much as you can throughout the night.

57 months ago

(Continued) Make sure patients pads are in place and patients pulled up in bed when they are put to be or on your first round. When you do have extra help. Do extra work on w/c, tidying rooms and other chores. Get patients clothing out and ready for the next day when making rounds. Some CNA's get up 5-6 people of a morning and give two or three a shower. I agree you had too many residents for two people but there was plenty the third aide could have been doing, orientation or no orientation. By the way, did you pass any meds for the Nurses, do any treatments, contact any family, doctor, perform any lab work, did you complete any of their vitals signs, assessments or complete their charting. Just because a Nurse is sitting behind the desk certainly does not mean they are not working, it is just more mental the physical. (that's why they went to school). Sure they should share the work, but bed check and answering call lights to give pts water or change beds is not their priority. Bottom line, learn to work your hall, don't let it work you. Good luck in the future. P.S. never bluff if you are not prepared to follow though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Rena in Auburn, California said: I have been a CNA for going on 10 years now, and have worked all three shifts. I will NEVER be caught saying that any one shift is any harder or easier than any other- they all have their difficulties.
AM shift has the most activity going on. Difficult family members, activities, lunch, showers, naps, and more... To make up for all these duties (and then some!), AM shift generally has fewer residents than the other shifts.
PM shift is a little quieter, doing vitals, getting people up for dinner, still dealing with family (though less than AM shift has to, by far), giving showers, and so on. With only one meal, there are fewer time restrictions, and that is usually balanced by mgmt. by giving PMs more patients than AMs.
Night shift is supposedly the quietest shift. SUPPOSED TO BE. It seems they "balanced it out" by giving us more residents, without realizing what really happens on Nocs. Sundowners patients act completely different at night time, causing erratic behavior no other shift may see, including violence, confusion, and increased risk of falls. Parkinsons patients frequently have issues at night- a former patient of mine who had Parkinsons would use the toilet 2-3 times a day, but at night, she could go 30+ times! There are worriers who ring every five minutes just to ensure that someone is there, and often the heavies get-ups are night shifts because there is NO WAY to get all the heavies & combatives up in the short time before breakfast on AMs.
I often have to clock out and continue working at the end of the shift in order to finish the job, or risk getting in trouble for not finishing. Again, I've been doing this for 10 years, and am by no means a slow CNA. It really irks me to hear ANY shift complaining about another! We all work damn hard, and it doesn't make it any better getting flak from the people who are supposed to be our "teammates"![/QUOT

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said:

Never clock out and continue working that is a big no-no. Stay on the clock and take the pay. The first thing the facility will say is that you were not to be working because you were off the clock. If you do the work, get paid for it!! That is what makes it so hard on everyone else. Employees can't complete there work so they clock out and keep working for there employers. You think they are going to tell you " I know you get off daily at 6:30 am but we will pay you until 7:30 just because we want to be nice".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said:

this is not my comment, however I did attempt to respond to this comment

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: (Continued) Make sure patients pads are in place and patients pulled up in bed when they are put to be or on your first round. When you do have extra help. Do extra work on w/c, tidying rooms and other chores. Get patients clothing out and ready for the next day when making rounds. Some CNA's get up 5-6 people of a morning and give two or three a shower.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahhhhhh...

Meanin' you no disrespect & with all due courtesy, Mary: go take a flyin' leap, eh?

You speak like someone who shot up the ladder & has no real experience behind them. Just in it for the money. Your lips be movin' & they be regurgitating Ivory Tower Proclamations. Labor vs Mgmt: you'll find little purchase here. The disconnect is clear.

Night time is for SLEEPING and for being left as undisturbed as possible. NO housekeeping on NOCs. Setting clothes out for AMs is for PMs. Get-up times should be determined by resident preference whether it's 5AM or 10AM & not be a by-product of cramming as many residents into a facility to max profits.

I may have my gripes about my facility, but at least they have (most) of their priorities straight.

But, you made my day, Mary, when you admitted that the higher up the ladder one goes, the more mental one gets!

LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Gloria in Floodwood, Minnesota said:

Gloria in Floorwood, you are way off key. First of all, as I said before, yes she was assigned too many patients (residents).Secondly, as I also stated, unfortunately this is not uncommon in long term care. She will seek out employment in another facility and chances are, she will run into a lot of the same problems. I was simply telling her some ways to manage her time better. Like I said, learn to work your hall, don't let the hall work you. A properly made bed and proper positioning is not preventing a resident from resting throughout the night but helping them to rest better and the majority of residents in long term care can't state the time they choose to get up. Taking trash off of bedside stands and emptying trash containers take very little effort. In the health care field you have to learn to multitask!! She stated she made one round and did not get her people up. (CONT)

57 months ago

( Continued) Can you just imagine what the hall was like for day shift? You mean to tell me it was o.k for her to make one or two rounds and leave everyone down? She stated she had to get them up. I said some CNA's not only have to get the residents up but also shower the 4-5 residents they get up. Now remember, I agreed her work load was too heavy. And yes I also stated that just because the third person was on orientation does not mean their was not a lot more she could have done to help out. As for my status, I started as a Nurse Aide (non-certified) in 78'. In 82' I went to Job corp and received my certification, clerk typist and GED. In 84' I went to school for Certified Medication aide. In 87' I supervised a group home for MRDD ( mental retardation and emotional ill adults) in '87 I also graduated as a Medical assistant. From '88-'04 I worked in a factory. For several of those years I was still working as a Medical assistant and doing home health. In '04 I returned to school to became the LPN that I am now. I do flu clinics, Drs. offices, Rehab, Short term, long term care and hospitals. I work though several agencies as well as PRN and Temporary assignments for various facilities. I have been offered Management jobs on more than a few occasions yet, I don't agree with how facilities are managed. Yes, I do make decent money but I am sure you can not touch the experience I have. I started as a teen (which you are obviously) and at 48 I am still being educated. Because I have walked the walk i can talk the talk. My intention is only to help. CNA's are the backbone to a facility I would be the first to say that. Nurses are more apt to be more mentally drained where as CNA's are more physically drained. You my dear, you, you just simply have issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

maltilda in Arizona said: I always say that CNA work is the hardest and nastiest job around. Why did you go into it? Was there no other career possible?
I am an occupational therapist and we always complain that our job is just about the same of being a CNA. But fortunately it is not as complex and we have less patients to deal with. Probably CNA is the only job worst that being an OT in a nursing home. I feel for you guys. As much as I hate being an OT I would hate being a CNA even more I believe.
I wish you all well and know you deserve more than you get.

Good question. When I was a CNA I enjoyed my Job. I really looked forward to going to work. I worked my butt off, but it was very rewarding. I started off working day shift and had 16 residents to provide total care to. I think I can speak for most when I say we took CNA jobs because we were too hardheaded to listen to our parents, pastors and teachers when they tried to tell us to go to school do the best we could and go to college. Obtaining a CNA job is very easy but the work is extremely demanding. I returned to school to get my GED when I was told by an Administrator that CNA's "come a dime a dozen" I stayed in the health care field because I enjoy the work but never worked as a CNA from that year on. If you have a job and you don't like it move on to something you might enjoy better. There is plenty of money to go to school, use your resources. Job shadow at several places to see if you will like the work you are going to school for and even if you have a job, continue looking for better. If you don't like what you are doing or the facility you are at (STOP SETTLING FOR LESS AND STRIVE FOR MORE).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: ( Continued) Can you just imagine what the hall was like for day shift? You mean to tell me it was o.k for her to make one or two rounds and leave everyone down?... You my dear, you, you just simply have issues.

Hey Mary~

Your turn to be off base. You eschewed management because you disagree with how facilities are managed? You, too, then, have My Issues. Hey ~ 3 thumbs up on your background but you do sound like bad management even if your intentions are good. CNAs may be a dime a dozen but the profession weeds out the unsuitables pretty fast because not everyone can be a CNA & the ones that last are priceless. No, I don't have your resume. I left accounting and bookkeeping to become a CNA & HHA after caring for & burying my mother in '92 because I wanted to be the help we didn't have. I am in my niche & am not ashamed to say so. I'm also a practical sort who likes some job security & you don't find that by going into debt to train for 1 position in town with 200 competing applicants.

Understand: in my facility, nights are for sleeping & we're under house orders to disturb residents as little as possible so we don't do housekeeping and room order or set out clothes and wash wheelchairs etc. Facility policy is that no one gets washed up and dressed before day shift arrives unless specifically requested by the resident. We are a health & rehab + LTC facility, not assisted living. I've worked 1:35 & gotten one full round in between 11 & 3:30 because of lights, short-staffing & anticipating needs isn't always possible. That situation's much improved. There's working your hallS (I have 2-3) & then there's logistics. We're still plenty busy to the point of not always getting everything done. And day shift understands.

So, you're 48. I turned 47 on Halloween so I'm catching up to you.

Laurie Guertin in Cranston, Rhode Island

57 months ago

Doug in Ohio said: Actually, I do work in a nursing home and 99% of the CNA's there can't even get into a nursing program because they can't pass the admittance exams. And yes, I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants.

Maybe where you come from. I am only 1 1/2 semesters from a 4 year degree and could not finish because of my crappy pay as a CNA. I have a web site concerning the care in nursing homes (writeot@wordpress.com) I am also writing a book, so don't tell me that a CNA can not pass the admittance exam. I have a 4.0 you moron!!! I am not a lazy nursing assistant, if someone is laying in their fluids it is because 10 hours of work does not fit into 2 hours of the time given for patient care!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brown Collar in Littleton, Colorado

57 months ago

The C.N.A. license is treated as a joke in Colorado. We also have too many patients. I work night shift and carry up to 20-22 patients. Many nurses refer to my duties as "just tech work". I draw labs, do weights and EKG's in the a.m. on top of the regular duties for heart patients (not just telemetry, but open heart too). I have been working as a C.N.A. for ten years and make $13.70 per an hour. I have not witnessed one nurse offer a tooth brush in the current hospital. They complain when they have over four patients, they never get more than five patients. Humm.. Live must be hard. At five patients a nurse can spent 2.5 hours with each patient, with four patients that gives a nurse just over 3 hours per a patient. At 22 patients, I can spend just over thirty minutes with each patients. At 20 patients, I can spend thirty-five minutes with each patient. I do not have patients for anyone who runs off at the mouth telling me about their life story, whether it be staff or patient. Oh, btw I work night shift. On day shift they have the same ratio. Do you think the total care patients get bathed? Only if the hospital catches fire. The nurses on days get 3-4 patients and complain there is no time. Okay, most often they get three patients each. That means each patient can recieve fours of care. Do you think the nurse will get off her butt to hand the patient a tooth brush? Not unless tooth loss causes death. If I spend one minute with each patient to check vital signs at having 22 patients, then I only have twenty-nine minutes for each patient. Okay, I can see why the nurse and patients think that I am not doing much, afterall, if someone is incontent I will not have time to talk or see the healthier patients. No one cares about the license of a C.N.A. Maybe more of us should stand up and point out the danger of having over worked C.N.A.s. The job should be eliminated or given some respect. Sorry about the complaints, but it feels good to blow some steam with you:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brown Collar in Littleton, Colorado

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: Good question. When I was a CNA I enjoyed my Job. I really looked forward to going to work. I worked my butt off, but it was very rewarding. I started off working day shift and had 16 residents to provide total care to. I think I can speak for most when I say we took CNA jobs because we were too hardheaded to listen to our parents, pastors and teachers when they tried to tell us to go to school do the best we could and go to college. Obtaining a CNA job is very easy but the work is extremely demanding. I returned to school to get my GED when I was told by an Administrator that CNA's "come a dime a dozen" I stayed in the health care field because I enjoy the work but never worked as a CNA from that year on. If you have a job and you don't like it move on to something you might enjoy better. There is plenty of money to go to school, use your resources. Job shadow at several places to see if you will like the work you are going to school for and even if you have a job, continue looking for better. If you don't like what you are doing or the facility you are at (STOP SETTLING FOR LESS AND STRIVE FOR MORE).

Wow, great advice from someone who has a family. Maybe you had some resources, maybe some people do not. Maybe C.N.A.s should get paid more and get more respect. I do not think that anyone is a "dime a dozen". I am offended by people who cannot spell at your level of education "to". I am also offended by small minded people who think that anyone else is in the same situation. I do not like you and I am sorry that you felt that your work was at all demanding. I love my work as a C.N.A. I am a professional. I am not a "dime a dozen". I do not settle for things and we should get paid more money. Do not feel sorry for me, give me respect and stand behind raising the wages of C.N.A.s.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

That is an outrageous ratio, especially in a hospital. When I worked in a hospital years ago ( before CNA'a had to be licensed) I had only a few to look after. I use to work in the respiratory care unit and had 5 or 6 severely ill to care for and this was on 11-7. In nursing homes we generally have 7 - 10 completes, some places have 15. In a nursing home environment this is insane especially the 10-15 because of all the new rules. One night last week I had 10 heavy and mainly combative men. We had 17 back to beds,tons of bells and people to ambulate and toilet. I didn't get started until 8pm. At 10pm, I still had five to go and charting. Needless to say, all I could offer was bare min. for care. When I complained, they offered to put me in another unit next time but not evaluate that assignment for future use. I haven't been back. Most of the nurses are nice there and help the CNA's. Lucky.

57 months ago

You should not have commented so negatively. The other CNA was trying to be encouraging and she did not say that CNA's were a dime a dozen, she said that someone else said this. It is a good idea to get a better education and this is available to anyone. Being a CNA is a wonderful position, but not being paid enough is a product of being "a dime a dozen" We are the only health care workers who actually spend any time at all with a patient. Without CNA's all institutions would fall apart. We are the heartbeat! I have 3 CNA jobs and I had only one shift last week. There are to many people becoming CNA's. After 25 years of this, I am finished and I am going back to school to finish my education. Have a wonderful day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Laurie Guertin in Cranston, Rhode Island said: ...Being a CNA is a wonderful position, but not being paid enough is a product of being "a dime a dozen"...There are to many people becoming CNA's...

Well, ya couldn't prove the latter by where I am & work and I beg to differ with the former.

Even if too many became CNAs, only a few would make it thru & stick with it ~ I've seen too many come & go thinking it'd be a cakewalk & always like it was in Clinicals.

Not being paid enough is a product of X-amount of dollahs having to be spread around between X-amount of people. The less numerous the position, the higher the pay. Wages are also tightly connected to reimbursements & donations. I'm all for higher wages (who isn't? I used to have a boss who was fond of saying, "If praises were rasies, you'd be a rich woman!" Does anyone ever feel they're paid what they're worth?) but, am I for the higher taxes that'd cover them? I wouldn't be coming out much ahead if at all when it all came out in the wash.

I'm making our 5 year level, $11.63 on nights with no shift differential. I'm full-time and fortunate enough to be able to live on that. Not extravagantly. Sometimes tightly. Saving for retirement? Ha-ha-ha. (I think we should lobby for getting CNA services when the time comes for free or very reduced cost for our sweat equity ~ like you get blood if you give blood...)

I am working alone again as one partner took a new job for lower pay & the other walked off the job and never came back. Last night it was a 1:33 ratio. I got no charting done beyond the paperwork & the last round was aborted prematurely to get out on time. I'm sure Days found a wet bed, maybe 2.

No soaker pads. Anyone using drawsheets is written up. Incorrect incontinent product use = write-up. NOCs has no access to towels and wash cloths. No wet wipes. Mgmt is decreasing supplies as we're told we're using too much soap, too much lotion, too many gloves...

State's coming the 30th...

57 months ago

Gloria in Two Harbors, Minnesota said:

That's "If praises were raises..." I can spell. I'm not stupid. That was an innocent typo. What I obviously didn't do was spell-check. My apologies to every nitpicker I offended. :^D

57 months ago

Sweat equity, very clever. Hey just wondering how do you properly lift and reposition a person in bed without a draw sheet or a soaker pad? I am a people person and always had a special love for older people. I think this is what has kept me going for so long in this occupation, but I am finished.
What do you CNA's out there think of the slop that most places seem to serve the residents. I work for an agency so I see all. I worked at this expensive place for a while and I wouldn't give (most of the food served) to my dog and he eats everything. I was embarrassed place it in front of the resident. One place I worked at, people were sending out for dinner at least 4-7 times a week, especially in Rehab. I am finding that some nursing homes are using the state as an excuse for not having certain supplies. Check the state laws before believing any of that garbage.

57 months ago

Brown Collar in Littleton, Colorado said: Wow, great advice from someone who has a family. Maybe you had some resources, maybe some people do not. Maybe C.N.A.s should get paid more and get more respect. I do not think that anyone is a "dime a dozen". I am offended by people who cannot spell at your level of education "to". I am also offended by small minded people who think that anyone else is in the same situation. I do not like you and I am sorry that you felt that your work was at all demanding. I love my work as a C.N.A. I am a professional. I am not a "dime a dozen". I do not settle for things and we should get paid more money. Do not feel sorry for me, give me respect and stand behind raising the wages of C.N.A.s.

Good advice for people who have a family? Do you think that I don't? I do, but I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth Heck, I gave birth to my first at age 14, yes I said 14...and raised her on my own... no welfare. Yes, there are resources, plenty, not just for me but for everyone. If you take the time to actually read what I wrote, I did not state that CNA's come a "dime a dozen", a administrator at my Job said this to me. I did however state " CNA's are the backbone to a facility. Yes, I was offended, and therefore sought out ways to better myself. I can care less whether you like me or not you mean absolutely s@@@T to me. If you don't think you are being paid enough, go to school, get another job. As far as I am concerned, if you are complaining, you ARE settling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Laurie Guertin in Cranston, Rhode Island said: You should not have commented so negatively. The other CNA was trying to be encouraging and she did not say that CNA's were a dime a dozen, she said that someone else said this. It is a good idea to get a better education and this is available to anyone. Being a CNA is a wonderful position, but not being paid enough is a product of being "a dime a dozen" We are the only health care workers who actually spend any time at all with a patient. Without CNA's all institutions would fall apart. We are the heartbeat! I have 3 CNA jobs and I had only one shift last week. There are to many people becoming CNA's. After 25 years of this, I am finished and I am going back to school to finish my education. Have a wonderful day.

Thank God someone can comprehend the written language!! Try to return to school. It may not be easy, but it is worth it.

sherri of cocoa,fl. in Rockledge, Florida

57 months ago

Maggie in Tucson, Arizona said: You know even contacting state department for ratio does not help. I work day shift and have 18 people i take care of as well. And it is heck to do this. But when someome tryed to cotact state and they came the managment fully loaded us with more help then we could ask for on our floors. Soon as state left back to being short again and back to 18 people myself. So what can you really do about that?

Hello, Iam also a CNA and I take care of 24 Residents it really get hard to stay at this type of work because the facility not getting enough help!God help us all that try to make a differents,so they crap all over us.good luck in finding the answer I also would like to work at a normal speed.

sherri of cocoa,fl. in Rockledge, Florida

57 months ago

I am wanting toknow what the ratio for an cna in a assistant living facility,also what can you do to make it wright?please help I really like my job but it really is hard to take care of 24 residents at 7:00a.m.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.