What is considered a normal Patient:CNA Ratio? I work 24 patients:myself

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 523)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Gloria in Embarrass, Minnesota

56 months ago

Laurie Guertin in Cranston, Rhode Island said: Sweat equity, very clever. Hey just wondering how do you properly lift and reposition a person in bed without a draw sheet or a soaker pad? QUOTE]

Bed pans cause UTIs. Soaker pads cause skin breakdown (wet linens do not). Drawsheets cause skin sheering. Always do 2 person boosts even when a 2nd person isn't around to help.

How do you lift & repo a person without a drawsheet? 1) Push them over, 2) Pull them over, 3) Use the fitted bottom sheet, 4) Manually lift up and scoot, 5) Only always ever use just palms, no fingers or fingertips, 6) Get a roll-up (crank sheet) installed on the bed. My LPN/RN just put an order in for 14 roll-up apparatuses. You can only have 1 sheet between the resident & the mattress. If a person requires a drawsheet, you must use a flat sheet fully opened.

Oh. You said PROPERLY, didn't you? Oops...

You can pretty much kiss goodbye the school-taught bounce-a-quarter-off-of neat as a pin hospital-corner-made beds.

But, the food's actually pretty good. Can't please everybody all of the time, but overall, pretty good. I like their Penne Pasta Bake with Meatballs best.

I just found out we got wet wipes! Disinfecting ones. Kept in the med room. Must retrieve ONE every time someone uses a lift...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in Embarrass, Minnesota

56 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: Heck, I gave birth to my first at age 14, yes I said 14...and raised her on my own... no welfare. Yes, there are resources, plenty, not just for me but for everyone. QUOTE]

Hats off to you, Mary. I am in awe. How does a 14 year old raise a child on their own without welfare? '75 isn't far from homes for unwed mothers. I don't know what resources are available for 14 year olds that aren't welfare of some sort, so how you managed to do it all on your own without a silver spoon is beyond my comprehension. Again: kudos.

Brown Collar in Littleton, Colorado

56 months ago

Laurie Guertin in Cranston, Rhode Island said: You should not have commented so negatively. The other CNA was trying to be encouraging and she did not say that CNA's were a dime a dozen, she said that someone else said this. It is a good idea to get a better education and this is available to anyone. Being a CNA is a wonderful position, but not being paid enough is a product of being "a dime a dozen" We are the only health care workers who actually spend any time at all with a patient. Without CNA's all institutions would fall apart. We are the heartbeat! I have 3 CNA jobs and I had only one shift last week. There are to many people becoming CNA's. After 25 years of this, I am finished and I am going back to school to finish my education. Have a wonderful day.

Read again, she is not a C.N.A.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brown Collar in Littleton, Colorado

56 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: Good advice for people who have a family? Do you think that I don't? I do, but I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth Heck, I gave birth to my first at age 14, yes I said 14...and raised her on my own... no welfare. Yes, there are resources, plenty, not just for me but for everyone. If you take the time to actually read what I wrote, I did not state that CNA's come a "dime a dozen", a administrator at my Job said this to me. I did however state " CNA's are the backbone to a facility. Yes, I was offended, and therefore sought out ways to better myself. I can care less whether you like me or not you mean absolutely s@@@T to me. If you don't think you are being paid enough, go to school, get another job. As far as I am concerned, if you are complaining, you ARE settling.

It is great what an education can buy. Do you kiss your child with that mouth? I do not complain, I vote. (As I stated before, I like working as a C.N.A.). I suggest that other people do the same and gain respect for the C.N.A. profession. I do not go through a knee jerk reaction when someone comments on my profession. You were not happy as a C.N.A., correct? Or, did you react to the "dime a dozen" comment because you felt that way about yourself? Basically, you had the same impression as the administrator. If a person truly loves their work they will enjoy it and strive to be the best. Does that make them a "dime a dozen"?
If you had a child without help of the welfare system, then you did indeed get help from your family. I have been homeless, that was not my fault (my mother died). I did not just go out and get knocked up. I have always been a responsible person. Do you think people should give you some kind of respect for making poor decisions at a young age? Did your family have to go without because you got pregnant? I do not talk about how hard my life was because it is not who I am today. You must be a real gem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

56 months ago

Brown Collar in Littleton, Colorado said: It is great what an education can buy. Do you kiss your child with that mouth? I do not complain, I vote. (As I stated before, I like working as a C.N.A.). I suggest that other people do the same and gain respect for the C.N.A. profession. I do not go through a knee jerk reaction when someone comments on my profession. You were not happy as a C.N.A., correct? Or, did you react to the "dime a dozen" comment because you felt that way about yourself? Basically, you had the same impression as the administrator. If a person truly loves their work they will enjoy it and strive to be the best. Does that make them a "dime a dozen"?
If you had a child without help of the welfare system, then you did indeed get help from your family. I have been homeless, that was not my fault (my mother died). I did not just go out and get knocked up. I have always been a responsible person. Do you think people should give you some kind of respect for making poor decisions at a young age? Did your family have to go without because you got pregnant? I do not talk about how hard my life was because it is not who I am today. You must be a real gem.

Brown Collar, you have issues..lots of issues. No,I am not a CNA, but I worked as a CNA for several years. My original comment stemmed from a CNA venting about how she lost her employment because she failed to complete all her nightly responsibilities and refused to return to work to complete the task. Because of this she was upset that she was no longer employed yet still had bills to pay. I commented because I understood both sides of the coin. One statement I made was that she was going to seek out work in yet another facility and most likely run into the same problems and was either going to have to find a way to better deal with it or find another profession in which to make a living, therfore I simply offered a few ways for her to get through her noc better.

56 months ago

Sure we can all fight to change the health care system but first a lot of research needs to be done to understand the laws of the system. Until then, if you are going to work in health care then u have to learn to " work your hall and not let your hall work you". If one facility does not work for you then you need to have the skills to step right into another job. (easier for some then others of course) I did not once put CNA's down, again I stated they are the backbone. You have come up with some really off the wall "bull" and I am not sure what your problem is. As for my family, this has nothing to do with my family, my children are now 33 and 23 and obviously doing far better than you. Yes, my family had my back but nothing was ever given to me! I had to work hard to get what I wanted and this included working at the age of 15 while attending school while her father provided her care and worked at noc. Yes, I left CNA work because I was offended and felt I was better (or wanted to be better than a dime a dozen)there is nothing wrong with wanting more and striving to be better in every aspect of life. I left CNA and home health care, earned a GED and became a Certified Medication aide, Supervised three group homes for MRDD Adults, Medical Assistant then LPN. I never paid for a single class and currently starting RN and not planning to pay for a single class, so yes there are resources, family or no family ( however I am sorry you lost your mother) I did not receive welfare because I have never been without a job, even working two or three at once, but I did learn to take advantage of any program, federal, state, city, community, anything that was going to help me get more of a education and a better wage. So even though I did not receive a check, food stamps, insurance or child care from the state, I received much, much more. (peace within myself) something I hope you can find one day soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rehsal in Battletown, Kentucky

56 months ago

I don't understand all the bad "press" given out on this site. We are all apart of the nursing profession. Be proud of who you are and in what you do. This work we do is all about the ELDERLY people in these facilities. If things are going wrong, go to you're charge nurse and let them know, if they are the problem go to the shift supervisor, just keep going until someone listens. If nobdy within the facility works out the problem(s), get in touch with your state Ombudsman. Hell call state. You might get fired ( but as some say you can always find another CNA job).Just don't stop. Fight for what you know is right. I have fought for the people I cared for and things got better and remain so to this day. I had to go outside of the facility to do it, but it got done. We cannot allow residents to be treated or cared for in unsafe, understaffed, overworked, facilities. I no longer work for a nursing home ( due to injury not by choice) but I still go to the facility I worked for and check up on things. It will only CHANGE if we all decide to not give up, make your voice heard, don't take it out on each other, band together and get things done. We all might find ourselves in a nursing home at one time in our life, help to change things now, so we won't have to suffer from the same things going on today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

True...but while we are trying to make changes or waiting for change, as long as we are employed in these understaffed facilities we need to learn to do our jobs to the best of out abilities. Sometimes that means cutting corners and giving some areas more attention than others. By no means should patients be left unattended and uncared for because we are short staffed or don't have all the linen and/or equipment we need to do our jobs. Make the best of what u do have and learn to work fast and multitask. If you are going to sit around and whine about your work constantly then do something to improve your situation. This can include lobbing for change, or changing professions or what ever you see fit. It is what it is.

Outraged in Indy in Indianapolis, Indiana

56 months ago

I just started a CNA job three days ago. I had two nights of orientation on a memory care unit with 22 residents. The third night I was left on my own with the LPN. We do bed checks when we come in at 11pm then again at 1 and 3am. All 22 residents must be asked if they need to use the restroom at each bed check. Those that are bedrest must be changed. I only have 5 people who can toilet themselves. The rest are total dependents. By the time I finished my 1am bed checks it was time to start the 3am checks. And during the 3am checks I was told to dress the residents in the morning clothes so that when we start waking them up at 5am they are already dressed and just need to be changed or toiled again. I was told that as many, if not ALL residents need to be up and at the breakfast table before the 7am shift gets there. It's too much. And I am definitely NOT a lazy or dumb CNA. I graduate on the 18th from an RN program and decided to do CNA work for some experience. I'd like to know why there isn't a law regarding aide to patient ratios. It's completely insane.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracena in Cordova, Tennessee

56 months ago

I think that is aweful. I work in a hosp. That type of work is not for me. I know some has to do it, but I can't. Your state should have a ratio. There is a law for everythg. Good luck!

Outraged in Indianapolis, Indiana

56 months ago

Yes it is pretty awful. I've been looking all over for laws regarding ratio for the state of Indiana and haven't come up with anything. That's actually how I found this thread!!

56 months ago

Outraged in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Yes it is pretty awful. I've been looking all over for laws regarding ratio for the state of Indiana and haven't come up with anything. That's actually how I found this thread!!

I can't quote the radios, but I have talked with several administrators in the past. There are ratios but they are high and unrealistic.

Gloria in Ely, Minnesota

56 months ago

Outraged in Indianapolis, Indiana said: ...I've been looking all over for laws regarding ratio for the state of Indiana...

Check out: Nursing Assistant Resources on the Web where this was found: nursingassistants.net/2008/01/26/staffing-ratios-each-state/ . Source: www.nccnhr.org/uploads/HarringtonStatestaffingtableRevisedJan2008.pdf (updated January 2008 & posted 1-26-08) Summation: Staffing ratios- CNA/Resident– per state:

AK NONE
AL NONE
AR DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:9 NIGHTS: 1:14 (This can include nurses)
AZ NONE
CA NONE
CO NONE
CT NONE
DC DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
DE DAYS: 1:7 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15
FL NONE
GA NONE
HI NONE
IA NONE
ID NONE
IL NONE
IN NONE
KS NONE
KY NONE
LA NONE
MA NONE
MD NONE
ME DAYS: 1:5 EVENINGS: 1:10 NIGHTS: 1:15 (This can include nurses)
MI DAYS: 1:8 EVENINGS: 1:12 NIGHTS: 1:15
MN NONE
MO NONE
MS NONE
MT **Complicated formula used; 4 hours care for each resident; no actual mandated numbers of staff**
NC NONE
ND NONE
NE NONE
NH NONE
NJ NONE
NM NONE
NV NONE
NY NONE
OH 1:15
OK DAYS: 1:6 EVENINGS: 1:8 NIGHTS: 1:15
OR DAYS: 1:10 EVENINGS: 1:15 NIGHTS: 1:20
PA NONE
RI NONE
SC DAYS: 1:9 EVENINGS: 1:13 NIGHTS: 1:22
SD NONE
TN NONE
TX NONE
UT NONE
VA NONE
VT NONE
WA NONE
WI NONE
WV NONE
WY NONE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in Ely, Minnesota

56 months ago

Outraged in Indy in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I graduate on the 18th from an RN program and decided to do CNA work for some experience. I'd like to know why there isn't a law regarding aide to patient ratios. It's completely insane.

There is & isn't & most states leave ratios up to the facilities in their infinite wisdom (as you'll see by the post/links I gave you).

I just wanted to say Thank You for going an extra step. The best RNs I've worked with, with few exceptions, have spent a fair amount of time working as CNAs before becoming LPNs & doing a fair amount of LPN work before moving up to RN.

It's crossing a big line to move up from LPN to RN. RN is the lower rung of Management & is responsible for toeing the company line on the front lines. Where I work, we have more RNs working in LPN positions than LPNs so those positions become non-Union/At Will positions so long as those RNs hold them. It's an odd spot to sit in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

omspayne4u

55 months ago

wlc1410@hotmail.com in Windyville, Missouri said: I cannot believe you think only uneducated people are CNA's,that is so far from the truth.You need to take time in your narrow minded world and visit a nursing home and see what these brainless people go through.It is horrible,and the sad truth,it could be your mother,father or other loved one who is laying in their own waste,drugged so they don't know up from down,yomight just find yourself there one day and i hope you remember this

I know that most people who become a CNA has to have some kind of education to even get into a CNA class and I been a patient care nurse assistant (pcna) for 14yrs I also been a chef and I graduated from high school on time in 1984 and taken care of someone mother grandmother or father, sister or brother who is ill or had life threaten injuries is a job. A job with compassion understanding and strong will and you can't be ignorant and do CPR on a person who heart stop beaten and you can't be uneducated and not know the signs of a stroke or if a person going into a diabetic shock. I don't think helping a person go to the bathroom or dress themselfs is uneducated and I wish a person would turn their nose up at me for comforting a ill person or a dieing person. Because one day that person will be sick and need a stranger to bathe and dress them. to me people don't know there fate and today in time we are dieing young we are not liven to our 80's or 90's we are dropping dead at 50 or younger now.most CNA go back to school to become a RN or medical coder or physical therapist or even a ultrasound tech. and the ones who decide to stay a CNA become the best at what they are and can teach a person how to care for themself when they forgot how to because they lost a leg or a arm or even became blind because of their diabetes got the best of them, So please never put a person down because they help the sick and injured.

omspayne4u

55 months ago

I am on medical leave from a back injury but it is not from working as a nurse assistant. I got injured at home but never gotten the proper physical therapy, thats another story but I wanted to be a nurse assistant and I became a very good nurse assistant I passed all the physicals and all the inservices on proper transfer and body mechanics but in 1999 I had fallen on my hip and back kept working. lifting and turning and pulling and holding up sick people and now I have thoracic spondylosis, two lumbar herniated disc , osteoarthritis of the left hip and bursitis of the right hip. All because I did not get the proper care, physical therapy or pain management because I thought It would ruin my career, but now I say hey I don't want to be one of the patients I take care of I want to be able to hold my grand kids and play catch with a ball, now I can barely stand or sit too long with out haven back and hip pain. I am not blameing on being a nurse asst. I am blameing myself for not taken care of myself thinking that the hospital I worked for needed me and they really don't need me if I'm broken down. even though my diagnoses is moderate I am ending my career as a nurse assistant because to me moderate can turn into severe and I don't love my job more than my health I'm sorry I know some people are that dedicated to eat sleep and breath nurseing but I am not the one.If I had just got the proper care sooner I might not be in this condition but I thought if the CEO or the nurse manager would found out they would fire me so I pretended to be in good health now I can't pretend the pain can't be hidden any longer now I am able to walk away.

payne tee in Cleveland, Ohio

55 months ago

I am a nurse assistant been told I should go to school to become a RN or LPN I been working in hospitals long enough and are not motivated to further my career as a RN or LPN I prefer to do something else but in the medical field. like medical records or medical coeding or maybe ultrsound tech.I don't want to be a nurse to many rules to many guideline changes and politics on top of that! I been a pcna 14yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

payne tee in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am a nurse assistant been told I should go to school to become a RN or LPN I been working in hospitals long enough and are not motivated to further my career as a RN or LPN I prefer to do something else but in the medical field. like medical records or medical coeding or maybe ultrsound tech.I don't want to be a nurse to many rules to many guideline changes and politics on top of that! I been a pcna 14yrs.

You should not go into to any field just because someone else suggest you do so. Before you further your career, do plenty of research...good research requires checking with several sources.
If you have 14 years experience you may very well be able to earn more pay staying in your current position rather than going to school for medical record or medical coding. Be sure what ever you do you are moving upward not downward or even lateral. Think about job shadowing to see what may be best for you.

cowgirl in Morgantown, West Virginia

55 months ago

I have to say that patients/residents do not get proper care when there are 44 residents and 2 cna's. This should be unheard of. People need turned every 2 hours and changed and there is not time in a night for one person to check on 22 people every 2 hours. I think it is unsafe for the residents and staff would want to stay and work in a facility if they had help in caring for the residents. why does the state allow this to happen and put residents in danger of skin breakdown and falls because they are trying to take themselves to the bathroom and they cant walk?

unknown in Morgantown, West Virginia

55 months ago

I just have to say I was a CNA before I went to be an RN and I wish I would never have became a nurse some days because of all the stress, but I feel bad for my staff that have to kill themselves every night because the company is too cheap to allow for more staffing. The state should have a rule that there be so many patients per staff member. 1 nurse passing meds to 44 residents is not really safe and god forbid if someting bad would happen during the shift nothing else would get done. If i could change anything i would make a law that there be 1 cna for every 14-15 resident at least if not a lower ratio and then people could get proper care on 11-7 shift. They think because they are in bed that they never need anything. Who are they kidding.

Fedup! in New York, New York

54 months ago

Pincess in Westford, Massachusetts said: dont feel bad theres nothing we can do ive tried for long time ive worked the night shift for a VERy long time and all they say is that there are 2 aide an the nurse should help but how often do they? i wish that we could start some kind of union.. i myself during night oversee 47 people but the other aide typically helps an now that corporate is there we have to get 7 people up which is a safty hazzzzord then they wonder y peolpe fall an brake hip when we are gettin up peeple whos watching the floor whiile the nurse is passing pill ... somethin has to be done

This is so true if family members sue the facilities tnen maybe they wouls up the staffing.....Don't forget the pressure ulcers!

doris in Hammond, Indiana

54 months ago

I agree that something has got to be done, we are not working at McDonalds, we are handling people. What is it going to take to get some safety for the patients and ourselves? Why is it so hard for these corporations to hire more help and if you have lazy or non working or hiding staff then fire and hire til you have a good crew.

Sean in Reedley, California

54 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said:

Yeah I know this really irked me also one shift complains about the other. I remember Having heavily incontinent residents and changed them q 2 hrs evry night. These heavily incontinent residents would saturate the bed from head to toe. The co- worker on the day shift would go and overexaggerate and tell the nurse at the nurses station that the resident was wet from head to toe and could tell that the resident hadn't been changed all night when I had turned and changed the resident q 2 hrs throughout the whole shift and I the dirty full linene barrels to prove it and show them how busy I was and they didn't wan't to hear or see it. I do not miss this work at all except for the quality of care that I gave to the residents and hearing about their lives as well as my dedication to the residents. I was hoping thes problems would no longer be existent and that this garbage would have all been changed by now but i guess its not going to or never will get better or change unfortunately. This was back in 93 to 96 when I had the same and worse problems than you are and I can't beleive this hasn't changed or improved by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

doris in Hammond, Indiana

54 months ago

It is truely sad that these elderly patients that have worked hard their whole life ans in my oppinion have paved the way for our generation to have to end up in these incompitent places called NURSING HOMES. I too love the patients and truely care about them and so wish I could make a difference, you know that not only is the low staffing a problem it is also the workers, I have seen patients that were made to pee or poo in their briefs because some of the cna's are too lazt to allow them the time to go toilet and in doing so these patients lose hope and start becoming incontinent. I also hear the patients complaints of other workers and have reported it just to have the damn supervisor try to cover it up by saying that they are not in their right mind. I can honestly say that in my 17 years of being a cna I have only seen a handful of compationate workers, I always say that you have to have special qualities to care for others, it is horrible that no one listens to us cna's. I am thinking of making a web site for all cna's to voice their concerns and maybe get a movement going because who knows if we might end up there and this at some point has got to stop!!! When I think of having to go to a nursing home in my golden years I kringe and really think I'd rather shot myself first (just kidding but seriously it is bad) So what can we do??? I propose we start being heard and since we have this wonderful technology- the internet, I say "lets use it" Lets make these nursing homes a better place for our loved ones. Let me know what you all think and lets get this going what do we have to lose? Enough is Enough!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

What sort of write ups have fellow cna's been threatened with or written up for? Has anyone been written up or blamed for someone elses wrong doings? Has anyone had a D.O.N. who didn't let you explain your side when they were blamed for someone elses mistake and believed the people who were in the wrong all because they really liked the person who was in the wrong and the D.O.N. knew the other person was in the wrong?

54 months ago

I think that all nursing homes and Convalescents should be run like this: People who were in the wrong stand up and be a true and real person and say I was the one in the wrong not the person who you are blaming the mistake on because you don't like them and it is only right and only fair to write up and reprimand the person who actually made the mistake not the person you are trying to pin the blame on. Also we are all in this together and rather than complain about what the other shifts did or did not do on the previous or oncoming shifts to the LVN/LPN/RN supervisors and causing a fellow co-worker and cna to get written up or reprimanded, we should all work as a team,work together to help each other out whether we like each other or not to help prevent a co-worker from getting reprimanded or written up.

Rene in Saint Joseph, Missouri

54 months ago

Team work I have to laugh at those words. I have been a cna over 20 yrs now and have never seen any kind of team work ever in facilities. Everyone seems to be out for themselves. What gets me is when you are a good team player and you get stuck working with the ones that say "there not my residents" and they won't help you at all when you need it but have the nerve to want you to help them. I am one who will help anyone no matter if the residents are assigned to me or not it doesn't matter we all are working with them in the same facility! They all belong to us! I hate it that cnas always have to cover our butts due to another who has actually done something wrong. It's not right but the way it is. I believe if you have issues with one person you should bring it to them to deal with first then if you can't resolve it then follow chain of command. But don't ever do it if you have a problem with a nurse you might just lose your job over it. It's getting so hard to keep good long term cna's around anymore due to all the crap we have to put up with and then they wonder why they can't hire the good ones anymore and keep them.

tmitch3784 in East Saint Louis, Illinois

54 months ago

i just have to say i feel the pain of working short all the time.i've been a cna for almost 6 years and i'm currently in school to becoma a lpn but it is very hard and stressful to work short and go to school and care for my 6 year old and my 2 year old.then to add insult to injury,the administrator's son works there too and she makes sure that the hall he works is never short.there has to be something or someone i can call because thats is ridiculous!i'm at the point where i wish they would just fire me so i can get some unemployment and don't have to worry about their bs.theyre also very prejudiced in there.i'm a 25 year old black woman and the administrator is white along with her son of course and the DON and the ADON and most of the nursing managers.it's crazy and i can honestly say that i hate my job

lindaray61 in Des Moines, Iowa

54 months ago

i have been a cna for 30 yrs. your best bet is get your lpn and get out of nursing homes all together. it will never change till there is a patient/cna ratio, and that will never happen because it would cut into the homes profits, and state and fedral are not going to give any money.

used2much in Sac, Iowa

54 months ago

Geez! At my nursing home I've been coming in to find the day shift person just had to do a 24 patient high risk hall all by themseves.They expect you to get it all done reguardless and lets not leave out the 7 showers on the list.I work second shift and have been left to do it alone on several occasions.They have no concept of time.There is an actual clock ticking each task that you do.They dont even get up out of their chairs long enough to tell you that your all alone that night.After about an half an hour I have to question if I have help coming or not! They expect day shift and second shift to take care of all 24 patients and give about 5 to 7 showers!They are only paying us to do the work of one person but act like you owe them more! I feel like a criminal that has been sentenced to hard labor.They are rediculously out of touch with reality.The real kicker is when you come back the next day instead of getting a thank you you get complaints about little crap that didn't get done.I have been alone on this hall trying my butt off to get it done only to have one of the management to get out of their chair to come tell you something that needs to be done.They wouldn't dare think of getting up to help you!Needless to say I won't be there long.Some of these places need to wake up and realize you get what you pay for.This isn't my first rodeo!I am smart enough to know when I'm getting the shaft.I use to love my job.But after working in this place I am just disgusted with it!

54 months ago

Hey used2much believe me I feel your pain. We Cna's are never appreciated & many times at inservice meetings you hear "Anyone can answer a call light" that's crap! I have only probably seen maybe 1 or 2 nurses in my 20 yrs. in nursing homes get off their butt and answer one. They love to bark orders at us but when we are swamped with trying to rush in getting everything done do you really think the nurses are gonna try helping us. Hell no! I too use to love my job but it's the management that makes Cna's want to quit this field completely. I don't mind always having to work short staffed cuz you get use to it. But when you hear management say we are a dime a dozen really makes you want to tell them to kiss your ass! The good ones are very hard to replace!

Cinderlou AZ in Sierra Vista, Arizona

54 months ago

I was a CNA for 2 years loved my job alot your right no nurses are willing to help. I am no longer a CNA I got to burnt out from it. Good luck to all that are still lot's of hard work and no respect in what we do!!!

L.PERDEW in Lenoir City, Tennessee

54 months ago

I AGREE WITH YOU 100% THERE NOT GONNA HELP YOU BUT THEY EXPECT YOU TO HELP THEM AND WE HAVE 18 GET UPS EVERY MORNING THEN IF THE CNA PUT ANYBODY TO BED FOR YOU WHICH IS NOT LIKELY THEY PUT THEM IN BED WITH CLOTHES ON WHY BOTHER IF YOUR NOT GONNA PUT THERE GOWN ON.

54 months ago

I have worked as a nurse aid, certified nurse aid, Medication Tech, Medical assistant and a nurse. So I have a good understanding of all positions. Just want to give you something to think about:
The meaning a CNA is Certified Nursing Assistant, this means, assisting the nurse. Often times I hear the cna's say, "the nurses don't help you". Taking vitals on a patient is NOT doing the nurses work nor is collecting stool or urine in a cup, checking to make sure an alarm is on, retrieving a tray from the dinning room, observing the color, order or amount of bodily fluids, weights, applying a barrier cream to skin which is not open, documenting intake and out out, giving an extra shower, bathing or dressing a resident and walking, or pushing a w/c patient from one location to the other or many other task. These are all within your scope of practice. It is the nurses responsibility to make sure these tasks are completed but the nurse has every right to delegate these task to you as they see fit. This is not doing the nurses work. There is more to CNA work then quickly washing a pts face, dressing them, sitting them in their chair, feeding them, toileting or changing them once or twice a shift, putting back in the bed then guessing what their input and output was and occasionally documenting it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Rene in Saint Joseph, Missouri said: Hey used2much believe me I feel your pain. We Cna's are never appreciated & many times at inservice meetings you hear "Anyone can answer a call light" that's crap! I have only probably seen maybe 1 or 2 nurses in my 20 yrs. in nursing homes get off their butt and answer one. They love to bark orders at us but when we are swamped with trying to rush in getting everything done do you really think the nurses are gonna try helping us. Hell no! I too use to love my job but it's the management that makes Cna's want to quit this field completely. I don't mind always having to work short staffed cuz you get use to it. But when you hear management say we are a dime a dozen really makes you want to tell them to kiss your ass! The good ones are very hard to replace!

Remember this: when the management says, "anyone can and is expected to answer a call light".... a call light can be answered by stopping in the room and asking the patient what they need. This does not mean if they want to be undressed and put to bed, a fresh pitcher of water or toileting, the nurse, administrator, housekeeper or anyone else has to do it. Just simply address the patient and see to their need.

janp in Greensburg, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

K. Woodby said: I would have to agree. I take care of 25 to 35 residents a night get 4 up and still wash chairs and whatever else they can conspire to place on our plate.They just had a meeting and now if you call in you get written up for a no call no show plus all the other "rules" they have conspired. I live in Tn. and your right there must be some kind of By-laws somewhere but they keep them hid so we won't know when wer'e getting worked over "as if we can't tell" I thought slavery was banded with Lincoln.

This is my first time on this site and I am amazed at all that has been said here. I have been an aide for a little better than 10 years and have worked in a lot of nursing homes and I have never had these high ratios you are all talking about. 8-10 for daylight, 12-15 for evening and of course the whole hall for 1 or 2 aides and never have any night shifts been responsible for getting up more than a few residents. There are state laws against that, at least in Pennsylvania. If your nursing home isn't following the law then report it to the state. Yes, we are overworked and under paid but you do have the option to change careers or do something about it other than complain. It does take a special person to do this job and none of you seem qualified with all the complaining going on. These people are helpless so stop complaining and get out there and help them. You might be tired but how would you like to be dying and have you as your aide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

This is for janp -

Who are you anyway? I would LOVE to have ME as an aide. I am very caring, thoughtful, and considerate! The fact that anyone is here to complain about the staffing ratio does NOT make them a bad aide. I came to this site looking for advice or if anyone knew the ratio laws in my state. Why? Because I CARE about my patients, not because I hate my job! No one can possibly do a well enough job if they have 22 patients to get up, on their own, by 7am (which is what was happening with me). Thankfully I am now an RN and have DECENT ratios. It's unfair to aides that's for sure.

I am very happy for you that you have great ratios. Really, GOOD FOR YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Rene in Saint Joseph, Missouri said: Team work I have to laugh at those words. I have been a cna over 20 yrs now and have never seen any kind of team work ever in facilities. Everyone seems to be out for themselves. What gets me is when you are a good team player and you get stuck working with the ones that say "there not my residents" and they won't help you at all when you need it but have the nerve to want you to help them. I am one who will help anyone no matter if the residents are assigned to me or not it doesn't matter we all are working with them in the same facility! They all belong to us! I hate it that cnas always have to cover our butts due to another who has actually done something wrong. It's not right but the way it is. I believe if you have issues with one person you should bring it to them to deal with first then if you can't resolve it then follow chain of command. But don't ever do it if you have a problem with a nurse you might just lose your job over it. It's getting so hard to keep good long term cna's around anymore due to all the crap we have to put up with and then they wonder why they can't hire the good ones anymore and keep them.

By the way, I use to live in St. Joe and went to high school at Central. Graduated in 1993! :)

Sobergirl in San Jose, California

54 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

That has been the usual for as long as I can recall.I was certified in 1988 and worked NOC's for quite a while on a medicare unit.Same thing as you are experiencing and this was YEARS ago!Nothing changes.I am no longer a CNA and don't miss it a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Who am I? Someone who has compassion and is really good at thier job. I lost my husband 2 months ago and I'm glad he had good people to take care of him and I try to extend that to the residents I take care of. You being an R.N. should know the ratios and the laws on getting that many people up that early in the morning. It is simply not allowed before 5:00am and night shift ratios are allowed to be high according to pa state law. Working in this field it is your job to know the rules and who to complain to effectively when you feel the law isn't being followed. Most homes run by a corporation will be glad to handle your complaints and can usually be done annonamousloy if you are afraid of retaliation. Try it. I'm not the bad guy I just hate to hear people complain when the can be pro active in changing what they don't like or that doesn't work.

54 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: I have worked as a nurse aid, certified nurse aid, Medication Tech, Medical assistant and a nurse. So I have a good understanding of all positions. Just want to give you something to think about:
The meaning a CNA is Certified Nursing Assistant, this means, assisting the nurse. Often times I hear the cna's say, "the nurses don't help you". Taking vitals on a patient is NOT doing the nurses work nor is collecting stool or urine in a cup, checking to make sure an alarm is on, retrieving a tray from the dinning room, observing the color, order or amount of bodily fluids, weights, applying a barrier cream to skin which is not open, documenting intake and out out, giving an extra shower, bathing or dressing a resident and walking, or pushing a w/c patient from one location to the other or many other task. These are all within your scope of practice. It is the nurses responsibility to make sure these tasks are completed but the nurse has every right to delegate these task to you as they see fit. This is not doing the nurses work. There is more to CNA work then quickly washing a pts face, dressing them, sitting them in their chair, feeding them, toileting or changing them once or twice a shift, putting back in the bed then guessing what their input and output was and occasionally documenting it!

As you were a CNA you know about the difficulty they face in providing quality care in the time allowed.8-10 pts. in day shift,showers,bed bathes etc. all after breakfast and before lunch.Unfortunately the ideal situation should be as you describe.In reality it is provide what care you can in the time alloted in order to care for your patients and be able to take a break yourself.I have always felt for them and the patients who are unfortunate enough to need the care.

54 months ago

Being an aide is a hard and thankless job. I did not intend to make it sound like I didn't think so. This is reality and we have two choices. We can put up with it and continue to hate going to work every day or rally for change. These people need good people to take care of them but if we stand by and do nothing to complain to each other then how does that help? I get frustrated just like everybody else.

algia247

54 months ago

I love being a nurse assistant but when my body hurt everyday and my x-ray says degeneration and herniated disc, its time to make a career change, I have been diagnose with fibromyalgia in 2003 and still continued to work as a nurse assistant picking up people from wheel chair to comode or pulling and turning people who weigh 400lbs or lifting their legs for the nurse to wrap their wounds. Its not the patients its the rules and state regulations, the state and hospital CEO or nursing home regulations they guidelines is what makes it hard to give the care the patients need I work knights shift since 2003 and how they do the staffing is maybe 2 pcna for 30 patients and 1RN and 2LPN and the RN has to cover the LPN on IV's . So let's pray no one codes tonight or go into dieabetic shock or have a stroke. But when I first started being a STNA it was 3 pcna to 15 patients and 2 RN's and 2LPN a unit, this was in 1995 up to 2005. Every year the guidlines change for the nurses and the pharmacys they are taking and adding more restrictions and putting more polotics into the system which is really hurting the elderly care now on medicare the prescriptions that use to be free now has a co-pay, so if thats like that some other medical needs are have to be co-pay as well.

54 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: Remember this: when the management says, "anyone can and is expected to answer a call light".... a call light can be answered by stopping in the room and asking the patient what they need. This does not mean if they want to be undressed and put to bed, a fresh pitcher of water or toileting, the nurse, administrator, housekeeper or anyone else has to do it. Just simply address the patient and see to their need.

That is very true and yes anyone can answer a call light and let a cna know if it pertains to direct care which other depts are not permitted to do. Most of the time it is something rather simple and would sure help us cna's out alot when we have a ton of call lights going off at the sametime.

Cinderlou AZ in Sierra Vista, Arizona

54 months ago

Yeah that is what they say "any one can answer call light's" What a joke. You know how many time's i have seen the DON OR the RN'S AND LPN'S walk by the call light's and then i get paged to get there and they say to me room 203 need's water.

54 months ago

Yes,those are the rules.........ideally.Here we go again.All of us in health care know,no matter your position,that things rarely go as they SHOULD!Except maybe when the State inspectors are about.We have to manage with what we have and help each other out.Call lights are always a problem and we all have seen workers walk on by plenty of times.

In an ideal setting...HaHaHa!,there would be 2 CNA's per assignment!

algia247

54 months ago

ARLENE in Akron, Ohio said: I worked in a hospital as a stna for 14 yrs.
and thought about becoming a nurse. but trust me they are overworked and under payed.
they have very little time to spend with there patients then when they were aides. this is why their are so many nursing errors
made I wouldn"t give up being a aide for nothing in the world we are the nurses eyes and ears.
I thought the same thing until my back and pelvic and hip became a problem and my job was/is not here for me not given me my short term benefits and even telling me to my face they did not give me all my short term payments to my face. I worked hard for 14 yrs as a pcna half in a hospital. I never coplain even when my co-worker leave the floor for hours an not one of his /her nurse could find him/her and leave me stuck with his/her patients and my own doing daily weights with the stand up scale and bed scale because the beds are old and with out scales on them not to mention has to have my patients washed and bathe for physical therapy for the 1st shift can have a easy start on the day. So I am coplaining now and not only that I am starting school for medical transcriptionist on the 24th so I am coplaining and switching to another less straneous (spellng?) and stressful job

algia247

54 months ago

I had a RN tell me to my face that Mrs. SoandSo need a bed pan and I said wasn't you just in there and she said oh yes but I don't do bed pans and by the time I went in there it was too late the patient had and accident in the bed so I had to help clean the patient up and make a total bed change and the patient was crying and kept telling me she is going to report that nurse and she ask me my name and said she know that I would had got to her in time but she heard all the lights I was answering and she just knew since the RN was in there changeing her IV that she asked her and she walked out the room and never came back. So I gave her a hug and told her I'm very sorry and I will try to work a little faster so maybe I can personally catch her call light. And she said I am still reporting that nurse lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Cinderlou AZ in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: Yeah that is what they say "any one can answer call light's" What a joke. You know how many time's i have seen the DON OR the RN'S AND LPN'S walk by the call light's and then i get paged to get there and they say to me room 203 need's water.

Being a good health care worker and especially a good CNA requires anticipating the patients/residents needs. By doing so, one is able to work more efficiently and therefore be more productive with less stress. Offering to assist a patient and inquiring about their needs is also a must.
I can't count how many times I have walked into a residents room and the call light was caught behind the rail or bed. Often times the resident is in a w/c on one side of the room and the call light out, water and remote are out of reach. Water pitchers are often empty with no cups or straws (when necessary) available. Residents are dressed and brought to the day room only to request to use the restroom five minutes later. When you get up in the morning what is one of the first things you do? If you wear dentures, wouldn't you want them clean and in your mouth when your food tray arrives? How about washing hands and faces before putting their glasses on and shoving a tray at them. I watch CNA's daily standing around talking about their "night out" while, as they say "we are waiting on the lunch trays", well you know the resident is getting ready to eat, how about pulling them up in bed and getting the bedside table ready BEFORE you get their tray. Before leaving the room, access for pain then ask "can I get you anything else", afterward tell them you will check in later to address their needs. I hear staff all the time as they walk to answer a light make statements like " I bet it"s MS J, she probably wants me to see what time activities start" or well if you know this is a habit anticipate her needs and address it before she request your assistance at an inopportune time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: Being a good health care worker and especially a good CNA requires anticipating the patients/residents needs. By doing so, one is able to work more efficiently and therefore be more productive with less stress. Offering to assist a patient and inquiring about their needs is also a must.
I can't count how many times I have walked into a residents room and the call light was caught behind the rail or bed. Often times the resident is in a w/c on one side of the room and the call light out, water and remote are out of reach. Water pitchers are often empty with no cups or straws (when necessary) available. Residents are dressed and brought to the day room only to request to use the restroom five minutes later. When you get up in the morning what is one of the first things you do? If you wear dentures, wouldn't you want them clean and in your mouth when your food tray arrives? How about washing hands and faces before putting their glasses on and shoving a tray at them. I watch CNA's daily standing around talking about their "night out" while, as they say "we are waiting on the lunch trays", well you know the resident is getting ready to eat, how about pulling them up in bed and getting the bedside table ready BEFORE you get their tray. Before leaving the room, access for pain then ask "can I get you anything else", afterward tell them you will check in later to address their needs. I hear staff all the time as they walk to answer a light make statements like " I bet it"s MS J, she probably wants me to see what time activities start" or well if you know this is a habit anticipate her needs and address it before she request your assistance at an inopportune time.

I tell the staff constantly...work your unit, don't let the unit work you!!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.