Occupational therapy master's program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 739)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Lisa in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

mermaid88 in Fremont, California said: Heyy

No I haven't! I e-mailed Sarah Kelley, she said they have an unusually large amount of applicants and we should hear back within the next two weeks. (I got this email last week, so hopefully this week?) Let me know when you hear back and I will do the same!

Just got a letter from USC...Waitlisted UGH!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mermaid88 in Fremont, California

81 months ago

omg really! so when do they notify you if you get in or not? wow that is SO not fair your grades are soo good!

my grades arent even as good as yours, and my gre's were terrible. i had good letters and lots of experience so i probably won't get in.

good luck though seriously!

Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

mermaid88 in Fremont, California said: omg really! so when do they notify you if you get in or not? wow that is SO not fair your grades are soo good!

my grades arent even as good as yours, and my gre's were terrible. i had good letters and lots of experience so i probably won't get in.

Ahhh you are sweet! I am sure you will get in or get on the waitlist too! The letter pretty much says that they can notify you up until June 14th which is the first day of class! It doesn't say how many they are taking or not, it really doesnt say much. Kind'a frustrating. I don't know what to do, because it's only like 8 weeks away and its so hard to not know where your going to live or which direction your life is taking. I would love USC, but I may end up going to Dominican. Hopefully, I will hear sooner than later. :)

Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

mermaid88 in Fremont, California said: omg really! so when do they notify you if you get in or not? wow that is SO not fair your grades are soo good!

Oh just so you know my GRE's were terrible too, really terrible :)

Reply - Report abuse

CSUDH in Torrance, California

81 months ago

Have any of you guys thought of applying to CSUDH? It's cheaper than USC and very hands on. You also get four Level 1 Fieldwork settings aside from you Level IIs.

Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I have actually thought about CSUDH a lot. I am just worried about the problems in public education right now. I am not sure how many students they will be able to take next go around, with cuts as they are. I would actually love going to CSUDH, because for me I really want to come back home to So. Cal. and I have heard the program is very strong. What do you know about the program? I wish it had a fall entrance, but I am very much considering applying for spring. Please give me any info. you have. Thanks so much for recommendation. :)

Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

CSUDH in Torrance, California said: Have any of you guys thought of applying to CSUDH? It's cheaper than USC and very hands on. You also get four Level 1 Fieldwork settings aside from you Level IIs.

I have actually thought about CSUDH a lot. I am just worried about the problems in public education right now. I am not sure how many students they will be able to take next go around, with cuts as they are. I would actually love going to CSUDH, because for me I really want to come back home to So. Cal. and I have heard the program is very strong. What do you know about the program? I wish it had a fall entrance, but I am very much considering applying for spring. Please give me any info. you have. Thanks so much for recommendation. :)

Reply - Report abuse

CSUDH in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

Lisa in Los Angeles, California said: I have actually thought about CSUDH a lot. I am just worried about the problems in public education right now. I am not sure how many students they will be able to take next go around, with cuts as they are. I would actually love going to CSUDH, because for me I really want to come back home to So. Cal. and I have heard the program is very strong. What do you know about the program? I wish it had a fall entrance, but I am very much considering applying for spring. Please give me any info. you have. Thanks so much for recommendation. :)

Sure! You can try to make it to one of the info sessions: www.csudh.edu/hhs/ot/ Try to have all your pre-reqs done when you apply to make you a stronger candidate. It is a good program and I would recommend it! If you are worried about the state of the university due to budget cuts, you can try bringing it up and ask what the status is. Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

CSUDH in Long Beach, California said: Sure! You can try to make it to one of the info sessions: www.csudh.edu/hhs/ot/ Try to have all your pre-reqs done when you apply to make you a stronger candidate. It is a good program and I would recommend it! If you are worried about the state of the university due to budget cuts, you can try bringing it up and ask what the status is. Good luck!

Thanks for the info :) I have all of the pre-req's done already so hopefully will go well. Thanks again!

Reply - Report abuse

missy3 in Chino Hills, California

80 months ago

Lisa in Los Angeles, California said: Just got a letter from USC...Waitlisted UGH!

Hi, i've been placed on the waitlist too for USC. I came on here to see if there were others in the same situation as me. Looks like there are lol, i hate not knowing yet!

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

missy3 in Chino Hills, California said: Hi, i've been placed on the waitlist too for USC. I came on here to see if there were others in the same situation as me. Looks like there are lol, i hate not knowing yet!

Glad I'm not alone! When did you find out? I'm still very hopeful, but I'm not sure. Have you heard anything? I will update on here if I get any news or hear about anything. Good Luck to you! Did you apply anywhere else?

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Lisa in Los Angeles, California said: Glad I'm not alone! When did you find out? I'm still very hopeful, but I'm not sure. Have you heard anything? I will update on here if I get any news or hear about anything. Good Luck to you! Did you apply anywhere else?

I found out about two weeks ago. I'm so stressed out because they start so soon and would have to move. I check my app status everyday lol. I did not apply anywhere else, but if i do not get in (which i prob wont, i emailed sarah to see where i fall on the list and she said i was mid way :/)im gonna apply to CSUDH and maybe even SJSU or NYU for next year. I'm 26, and just want to be in a program already! lol..I wonder how many people USC accepts and of those people, the percent that usually decline their admission. I'm sure just a few might, i cant see a lot of people rejecting their acceptance. Well good luck to you! I hope we are some of the lucky ones on the waitlist! :)

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Good site to check out for future OT's

forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=513

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

missy3 in Chino Hills, California said: I found out about two weeks ago. I'm so stressed out because they start so soon and would have to move. I check my app status everyday lol. I did not apply anywhere else, but if i do not get in (which i prob wont, i emailed sarah to see where i fall on the list and she said i was mid way :/)im gonna apply to CSUDH and maybe even SJSU or NYU for next year. I'm 26, and just want to be in a program already! lol..I wonder how many people USC accepts and of those people, the percent that usually decline their admission. I'm sure just a few might, i cant see a lot of people rejecting their acceptance. Well good luck to you! I hope we are some of the lucky ones on the waitlist! :)

You have more info than me :) I don't know where I am on the waiting list. I am hoping that the waiting list is not too big so maybe we all have a chance of getting in. I am also very nervous about the start date because I would have to move also. I found out that the people who were admitted had to reply by the 22nd which was yesterday, so lets keep our fingers crossed that we get some good news next week :) I willkeep you posted! Take care and Good Luck!!!

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Oh wow, i hope we get in! i think theres about 30 people on the waitlist. I'll be crossing my fingers :) Take care, and good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

annoyed in Hamilton, Ontario

80 months ago

Wow, "me from LA," your awesome knack for picking up spelling errors is really going to come in handy in OT school. Two thumbs up.

Reply - Report abuse

Just Thinking in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Me in Los Angeles, I'm guessing your grades must suck and you must not have got in anywhere...poor you, all your doing is making yourself look pathetic. Looks like you are a bitter person. Enjoy your misery.

Reply - Report abuse

PJ USC OTS in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Lisa in Los Angeles, California said: I have actually thought about CSUDH a lot. I am just worried about the problems in public education right now...

CSUDH does have a great clinical experience, but don't let tuition deter you from considering USC :) There are many scholarships not mentioned on the site- trust me. If I may, I'd like to share about USC. I've met several people from CSUDH in football tailgates and fieldwork- and they're great! From a standpoint of going to USC:
1)you are in contact with people considered founding forefather/mothers- i.e. Dr. Florence Clark, Dr. Yerxa, Dr. Jean Ayres, etc.
2)you are in a position of having USC position you for networking and leadership
3)research in occupational science is heavily stressed and you'll be given much exposure towards occupational science and how it shapes occupational therapy
4)the faculty are all top notch, clinicians, researchers, educators, authors, etc. they aren't distant- they are very open and down to earth & easily accessible.
5)there are international fieldworks available if you so desire
6)if you plan on going on to the PhD curriculum, you have a chance to have a yearly stipend of 30k and additional scholarships making all undergrad, masters, and phd tuition FREE.
7)have I stressed how having a USC degree gets you connected/open doors especially in los angeles?
8)there are many opportunities to engage as a student leader in the program as well as in AOTA
9)USC football- always a fun event to go to!
10)you walk down the hallways of the OT department knowing that you have a chance to greatthing

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

PJ USC OTS in Los Angeles, California said: CSUDH does have a great clinical experience, but don't let tuition deter you from considering USC :) There are many scholarships not mentioned on the site- trust me. If I may, I'd like to share about USC. I've met several people from CSUDH in football tailgates and fieldwork- and they're great! From a standpoint of going to USC:
1)you are in contact with people considered founding forefather/mothers- i.e. Dr. Florence Clark, Dr. Yerxa, Dr. Jean Ayres, etc.
2)you are in a position of having USC position you for networking and leadership
3)research in occupational science is heavily stressed and you'll be given much exposure towards occupational science and how it shapes occupational therapy
4)the faculty are all top notch, clinicians, researchers, educators, authors, etc. they aren't distant- they are very open and down to earth & easily accessible.
5)there are international fieldworks available if you so desire
6)if you plan on going on to the PhD curriculum, you have a chance to have a yearly stipend of 30k and additional scholarships making all undergrad, masters, and phd tuition FREE.
7)have I stressed how having a USC degree gets you connected/open doors especially in los angeles?
8)there are many opportunities to engage as a student leader in the program as well as in AOTA
9)USC football- always a fun event to go to!
10)you walk down the hallways of the OT department knowing that you have a chance to greatthing

the late- Dr. Ayres

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

IOT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said: Rah-rah OT --- get out the pom-poms!

Only the die-hard OT loyalists are impressed with the
matriarchs of the OT lineage - no else is impressed or
cares. It's such a dark place - OT and these people - I shudder.

It's not about being a die-hard. I'm just proud of those who came before me to pave the way of the profession. As would anyone for their own.

What matters is that they made a significant impact on the profession of OT and related disciplines.

Happy OT month all!

Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

IOT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said: It's just one big, happy OT family - a bunch of happy baffoons butting heads
just trying to find their way out the door. These OT matriarchs paved a
very dark path that many followed only to waste years of their lives
and tons of money in a fruitless endeavor to try to make sense of OT -
a exercise of futility. And, no they haven't impacted other professions -
only have had the audacity to try to overlap and take away from others
to lend credibility to their own marginally credible "profession." And,
it's to their shame.

Wow! You are really like a robot huh? Hehe..this is too funny. In every thread you post in, all you do is degrade the profession. You can't even apply anything to the topic of the thread! What is going on? awww..too funny!

Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

OT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said: Oh, forgot to mention - in honor of OT Month - don't forget to have
a parade so all you OT devotees can march down the street or through the
halls of the hospitals waving your sock aides, dressing sticks and bath
sponges to show off for all the world to see your OT gadgets. They'd be so
impressed!

HAHA..gosh, you're so bitter...

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

IOT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said: It's just one big, happy OT family - a bunch of happy baffoons butting heads
just trying to find their way out the door. These OT matriarchs paved a
very dark path that many followed only to waste years of their lives
and tons of money in a fruitless endeavor to try to make sense of OT -
a exercise of futility. And, no they haven't impacted other professions -
only have had the audacity to try to overlap and take away from others
to lend credibility to their own marginally credible "profession." And,
it's to their shame.

I agree, history has shown that OT has become as a profession passive in it's role to advocate for itself. I'm glad to see the association as well as the current and incoming presidents set the goal of the national association to be proactive. What was considered 'fuitless' may soon bear fruit within the coming years- who knows when, but the mindset of many students in my program is about proactive engagement within leadership roles. The fruits of recent research has shown that social work (in various research articles), psych (and their journals), MD (and their articles), just to name a few have specifically point out that OT is beneficial for patients. And to think, OT benefits those realms as well.

As an example- Dr. Ayres has made significant contributions in OT. The great part is that she used her developmental psych background as well as her neuroscience to strengthen OT. In that respect, OT and the related areas benefited from her research. In research and education there is no such thing as 'taking away.' The spirit of education is about communal learning. I seem to find your comment on this issue interesting- so outside of OT do you consider 'borrowing' from other disciplines shameful as well?

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

OT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said: Oh, forgot to mention - in honor of OT Month - don't forget to have
a parade so all you OT devotees can march down the street or through the
halls of the hospitals waving your sock aides, dressing sticks and bath
sponges to show off for all the world to see your OT gadgets. They'd be so
impressed!

Your comment is disrespectful to all patients who require the use of such adaptive devices for their own personal dignity. On the other hand, I'm just glad to know you recognize that OT addresses such needs with such items.

I'm glad that it's OT month- I have been able to share OT with many that know I am in an OT program :) I envision an OT parade to capitol hill one day to advocate policy changes in healthcare- one day, as I gain further knowledge on deeper issues.

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

OT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said:
In the real world, you just can't get around the need for real, tangible
and useful skills to give credibility for any profession.

I totally agree. Every discipline undergoes such ridicule. I'm glad that you acknowledged that it wasn't just OT. However, I believe your real comment was on the context of a medical environment. Is your definition of a profession due to the amount of time it has been around? The ratio of whether or not treatments are successful:unsuccessful? The qualitative evaluation from a patient about a professional? The amount of research that supports a profession? etc... Please clarify this for me.

I'm still waiting for less vague comments of 'lacking skills' and such and would like specific examples. The profession does have sound frameworks to work from I just need to hear about how they are being wrongly implemented.

Possibly you really needed to spend more time on patient ed. and collab with the family. It could've been possibly due to the mindset of the pt. and family that what the MD says goes- and if so, why not collaborate with the MD in that situation. Ultimately, if the client chooses not to use it, that really doesn't mean OT is to blame. It just shows that even after patient ed. and context building that the pt. really feels it's not needed. Who's to say that the patient NEEDS to adhere to all prescribed treatments from and medical professional- it really isn't just OT. Good example, but it applies to all med fields. Also, if it's too expensive, what were the available home objects that could've been used to adapt the activity? Was there a home assess? Person support within home?

OT parade- sounds hilarious not denying that.

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

OT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said:
Again, you love being an authority of things that you know
nothing about - and love to imitate your OT instructors who
love to give those "explain" test questions i.e. give three
examples.

Don't have time to give you "three examples" ---- you don't have
the knowledge/skill/experience to know how to respond.

I don't believe you are able to. You an incapable of doing so. I bring up similar questions to my volunteer supervisors, CI's professors, and related disciplines- it is never a question of who knows more or of experience. It is the ability of the one with experience to enable the one lacking to gain better insight of the situation and combine reasoning with experience.

I believe you are the incompetent one here. I don't have the experience to be considered incompetent, I'm glad to be a student learning from all that are able to share. Your sarcasm reflects your lack of knowledge and your avoidance and excuses support such shallow thought processes.

Obviously there is plenty of time in your world to conjure up pointless excuses for your inadequacies and negatively critique other area. I just wonder if you give yourself a pep talk before handling patients b/c it would seem that you have no clue about treatment and care of a patient. Give yourself a pat on the back for coming in contact with me- I may just give you some pointers.

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

OT - rah rah in Arroyo Grande, California said: Forgot to mention --- it's highly contraindicated to call an MD
about his pt. not wanting to use his/her sock aide or reacher.

Clue 2 - the MD really isn't interested in such trivial matters - if
the wife/husband prefers to dress the pt., then so be it. Let's not
get ridiculous - there's bigger things to think about it - not in OT - but
in the real world.

Clue 3 - it's not that important - it's only an excuse to bill
and make $$ for the facility. It just gives OTs something to do
and talk about while with the pt. It's mostly just for OT - not as
much for the pt.

Hope this helps to shed more light.

Why wouldn't it be relevant to the MD, the treatment reflects the overall health and it's relevance to the MD's orders.

If dressing the patient is a little thing, then when does the big picture of creating independence and not enablement of the patient come into play?

If patient ed. is a waste of time, then I believe such a comment is bringing down the whole healthcare system. Again, research has shown that medicine just wants to do things to get things fixed. The patient isn't heard. Now, that MD and related health fields are attempting to spend more time with the patient especially in terms of hearing them out, you say that this is potentially an excuse to bill? I believe that reason is irrelevant. There is no 'waste' of time if your purpose and intent is to truly give care, even if it is building rapport.

Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia

80 months ago

OT is just the ticket! in Arroyo Grande, California said: I never said that other disciplines endure ridicule.

And, please, enough of your "know-it-all" critique of my
comments from someone who knows so little. You really
need to take some serious time off just to get over yourself
for a minute - you'd feel so much better - just taking a break
from thinking about how perfect and wonderful you are would
be such a relief for you.

Again, you love being an authority of things that you know
nothing about - and love to imitate your OT instructors who
love to give those "explain" test questions i.e. give three
examples.

Don't have time to give you "three examples" ---- you don't have
the knowledge/skill/experience to know how to respond.

You don't give anything!!! You can't even answer one of his/her questions! Obviously, they don't know it all, and they are trying to get feedback from you. All of your comments are complaints. You have no time to share real knowledge, and yet, you have plenty of time to ramble and complain. When will you give up or offer some real experience?

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

OT - rah rah in Arroyo Grande, California said: Go ahead, call the MD and tell him all about the pt's sock-aide issue.
It just doesn't work that way in the real world - sorry - OT just
doesn't have the kind of clout that you're told it does in the classroom.
No one out there stops what they're doing to worry about a sock aide.
It just doesn't happen.

Then, what does? If professionals are held to a standard of quality, then what is the cutoff where we consider thing's 'small issues.'

I bring this up because it's like a simple idea of money. Say, a person gives you 1 penny more than you deserve in change. This person does it to many people. Pennies add up eventually, right? The same with healthcare. If we begin to brush off small things, the eventually add up and show up in how we implement our treatments.

I know some work environments are fast paced, and yes you need to cut to the chase (such as an ER/trauma), but have there been instances where you decided to go beyond and perform more than what was expected? Or is it considered wrong to provide additional care if it is not needed- according to reimbursement standards?

I don't mean to offend or put your example down. I just want to know more of why this is in certain situations.

Reply - Report abuse

ToddLPN in Douglasville, Georgia

80 months ago

OT - rah rah in Arroyo Grande, California said: When I'm addressing someone with real experience in the OT world
who knows and understands the pitfalls of the "profession" - and who
has long since removed his/her rose-colored OT glasses. This student
still lives in the magical make-believe world of OT where all is lovely
and perfect. And, you sir, are just plain clueless. The big magical world
or OT is still waiting for you - it's a one-way door in --- a one-way ticket to their land of insanity. You'll see - and will run back to nursing!

You're the one who is clueless! You offer nothing, but bouncing back and forth between threads! You know nothing about being a nurse, and as far as I can see, you know relatively little about the health care system but not about any one profession. Why would you share your knowledge of the pros and cons with someone who knows what you know? Why are you even here if you can't share knowledge with those who are seeking. Are you not an advocate of any sort? Do you like making people believe you know something when you are the one who is really in the dark? You are the one making things out to be "magical"! Are you delusional? Is that what happened? Did you go in with rose colored glasses? Well, I am very realistic, but you wouldn't know that would you because you know nothing of me except that I am a nurse. I realize that if you don't like helping people, you should have never gotten yourself into a profession that helps! You are certainly not helping anyone here either. When you provide the facts, I will anticipate it.

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

OT - rah rah in Arroyo Grande, California said: When I'm addressing someone with real experience in the OT world
who knows and understands the pitfalls of the "profession" - and who
has long since removed his/her rose-colored OT glasses. This student
still lives in the magical make-believe world of OT where all is lovely
and perfect. And, you sir, are just plain clueless. The big magical world
or OT is still waiting for you - it's a one-way door in --- a one-way ticket to their land of insanity. You'll see - and will run back to nursing!

I believe I do know of pitfalls withing OT. Afterall, I was geared towards PT which early on seemed to be so 'correct' b/c it dealt with such concrete issues.

I have however, been able to remove areas of doubt from my questions among current clinicians as well as instructors. My questions to you are more of my doubts being answered. Unfortunately, the more people such as yourself answer with comments like, "you lack experience, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about, etc." I'm coming to more of the conclusion that the complainers just put themselves in a sad situation and just 'die' to their own passivity. So either way, your complaints reflect your personal attitude on things and seem to seek for sympathy. Unfortunately, I don't care much for it. I would rather discover the hardships of the profession as a student so I can better prepare for the day I take off my 'rose colored glasses.' It's funny how all complainers mention that "when you get there you'll see how bad it is," and yet they can't speak or write of any such experiences. It really seems to come to the point that it may just be 'your personal problem.'

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

OT - rah rah in Arroyo Grande, California said: You'd, in all of your arrogance, would like to believe that it's
just my problem. I don't feel like elaborating again on all of my
OT experiences. Just read today's post from another OT and then previous
posts on this forum about the nightmares in OT world. There's lots to
choose from on this forum. Go to the beginning of "OT Burnout" for starters. But, doubtful that you want to know anything but but what you want to know.

Sounds like a personal problem if you ask me. Can't even get over it and share an example. fyi- there is no arrogance in seeking for answers.

Reply - Report abuse

sull in Quincy, Massachusetts

80 months ago

OThopefulGuy in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: thanks for the comment, about you thinking its hopefuly. I havent heard back from any of the 5 universities that I applied 2. I am jus doubful that I will get it. But with God I guess anything is possible.

HAVE YOU LOOKED INTO SALEM STATE COLLEGE THEY HAVE AN AWESOME PROGRAM DESIGNED SO YOU CAN WORK AS WELL I WENT THROUGH IT AND THOUGH IT WAS A GOOD PROGRAM CLASS OF 2008! HOPE YOU HEARD FROM SOMEONE IF NOT TRY SSC OK :) IF YOU NEED ANY HELP OR LEADS ETC LET ME KNOW

Reply - Report abuse

Suzie Que in Hawaii

80 months ago

Have you found any accredited online programs? To my knowledge, there are no accredited online OT programs.

Reply - Report abuse

Sull in Quincy, Massachusetts

80 months ago

Make sure the program has its accreditation

Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

missy3 in Chino Hills, California said: Oh wow, i hope we get in! i think theres about 30 people on the waitlist. I'll be crossing my fingers :) Take care, and good luck!

Hi Missy3, I was wondering if you heard anything more, and if not do have plans to go elsewhere? :)

Reply - Report abuse

missy3 in Chino, California

79 months ago

hi, yes i heard that it doesnt look too good for us on the waiting list, it has not really moved much and everyone who was accepted plan to go :/. I will prob apply to CSUDH in sept and USC, NYU next year. What about you?

Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

missy3 in Chino, California said: hi, yes i heard that it doesnt look too good for us on the waiting list, it has not really moved much and everyone who was accepted plan to go :/. I will prob apply to CSUDH in sept and USC, NYU next year. What about you?

Yep, I got the same sort of response. I asked Sarah earlier this week and she pretty much said that even though I am at the top of the waiting list that if I got in somewhere else I should not pass it up because there is no telling if they will loose a few people or not, ugh. Well I graduate next week from a school in the Bay area so I also applied to schools up north so I will probably be attending one up here. I really like Dominican. My fear is that things are getting more and more competitive for OT programs so I think I better take it while I can, lol. Well, good luck to you in all your future endeavors, and I really hope you get in!! Take care!

Reply - Report abuse

user in San Rafael, California

79 months ago

beware of Dominican

Reply - Report abuse

OT2BE in Pomona, California

79 months ago

Lisa, what is is that you like about Dominican? And User in San Rafael, why should we beware of Dominican? I've been trying to find out more info about this school, but I've only been getting brief responses. Thanks! BTW Missy, I'm from Chino too and applying to the same schools. I was wait listed at NYU last year and denied this year. Weird....

Reply - Report abuse

wishtobeOT in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

to the people that were waitlisted to USC, do you mind telling me what your GPA was? im planning to apply to USC OT from community college this coming fall and was wondering what my chances are. i so far have a 3.8 gpa on 34 credits, my only work experience is turoring a young girl, and volunteering to play with autisitic children (i did this volunteering only in HS 2 years ago, will it still count as part of my application?)
i also plan to do most of my shadowing hours this summer. What do you guys think? what else should i do?
Thanks and good luck!!!

Reply - Report abuse

republic in Garden City, South Carolina

79 months ago

I love the Boston U Master's program online..

Reply - Report abuse

Sull in Quincy, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Have you graduated yet ??

Will you need to take the NBCOT exam?

Reply - Report abuse

OT 2012 grad in Albuquerque, New Mexico

79 months ago

Josh in Seattle, Washington said: I like your advice OTGuy and want to ask a follow up question to point #2:
"2. Go to the school in the state where you'd like to eventually practice (this'll just make ur life easier upon graduation and u might get potential job offers during ur fieldwork rotations aka "mandatory clinical rotations")"

I live in WA state and it will be cheaper to attend a state school in WA. However I eventually would like to work as an OT in a different state if and when I get accepted into a MOT program. So, would it be possible to do the post-coursework, advanced fieldwork in a different state than the school one is attending - that is, attend a school in WA and do fieldwork II in a different state?

Yes, you can do your fieldwork in a different state as long as the OT school you go to contracts with the provider in which you would like to complete your fieldwork.

Reply - Report abuse

H in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Hmmm....I finished OT school recently and accumulated only about $25,000 in debt. I budgeted wisely and used the $16K recieved in my first year to help pay for the second year. I also used savings to pay off the interest each month as I went along. When I graduated, I took one of those awful jobs with the huge sign on bonus (because the job sucks so much, they have to give you a ton of money to even accept it)and toughed it out for one year--I mean really, we are strong people, we can do anything for one year--and paid off my loans in about 10 months.

$25K in debt sucks but I don't get how people are coming out with $60-70K in loans and nothing to show for it. I now have a job making over $80K/year and I'm just three years out of a MOT program.

Reply - Report abuse

Socal Girl in Placentia, California

77 months ago

Hi,
i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Columbia program?
I've been to the info session but I wanted to know more from a student's perspective.
Would you recommend it?
Is it hard to get in?
I have a 3.5 GPA, and I'm a double major. I'm pretty active in school and president of several clubs. I also have about 200 hours of volunteering. I haven't taken the GRE's yet but I'm taking classes right now.

I'm looking into USC and Columbia. Those are my top two choices. I love working with kids, so I'm thinking more of the pediatrics side. Can anyone help me compare the two? Or if i'd even have the chance to get into both schools? I'm thinking if applying straight out of my undergrad. I only to take physiology then I am done with my pre-reqs. Is that a good or bad idea?
I currently live in socal but I'd love a change of scenery.. that's why I'm considering NY!
THANKS!!! :)

Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in Central District, Hong Kong

76 months ago

I'm looking into either Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy for graduate school (I have a BA in Psych). I was wondering how much emphasis is put on the science aspect? Thing is I was never exceptionally good at chemistry/bio etc in HS so I just wanted to know.
Thank you!!

Reply - Report abuse

nad in Miami, Florida

76 months ago

H in Houston, Texas said: Hmmm....I finished OT school recently and accumulated only about $25,000 in debt. I budgeted wisely and used the $16K recieved in my first year to help pay for the second year. I also used savings to pay off the interest each month as I went along. When I graduated, I took one of those awful jobs with the huge sign on bonus (because the job sucks so much, they have to give you a ton of money to even accept it)and toughed it out for one year--I mean really, we are strong people, we can do anything for one year--and paid off my loans in about 10 months.

$25K in debt sucks but I don't get how people are coming out with $60-70K in loans and nothing to show for it. I now have a job making over $80K/year and I'm just three years out of a MOT program.

Sorry .. but some poeple don't have the money at ALL to pay for school but they still go because of the loan which u can start paying after 6 months...I have a friend who make $1,700 a month.. got bill to pay and stil went to Barry University.. which was convenient since it's weekend classes.. however the tuition for the program is over $60,000 and doesn't include books...
What was the awful job u did?? and now what u doing??

Reply - Report abuse

scared undergraduate in Long Beach, California

75 months ago

does anyone know how competitive the CSUDH program is???

I'm kinda not confident in applying and need help

Reply - Report abuse

sully in Quincy, Massachusetts

75 months ago

sorry I don't know where that school is, is it in California??

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.