Salaries on the upper-right look kind of high.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 270)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

chobers in Manchester, New Hampshire

92 months ago

Hi:

I've been looking at different websites and the OOH for information about COTA salaries. The numbers on the forum look more like OT salaries than OTAs.

Please tell me that these numbers are correct!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

LA in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

Did you ever find what you were looking for? I am searching for an average salary for COTA's and can not seem to find a national average.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chobers in Concord, New Hampshire

91 months ago

LA said: Did you ever find what you were looking for? I am searching for an average salary for COTA's and can not seem to find a national average.

If you type "salaries" into Google you will get a bunch of places with pay estimates by state. They vary by a few thousand dollars between the states and also by the web sites. None of them are as high as the pay rates posted on the home page of this forum, unfortunately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

COTAMAN

89 months ago

I worked as a COTA for 27 years and was making $28.00 an hour in Los Angeles which is about right for someone with my experience. You can expect to make about $16 to $18 and hour in most states. In New Hampshire I was told by recruiters that the average pay scale for COTA's was $15 and hour. Colorado is the lowest at $12 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mass/RI COTA in Bridgewater, Massachusetts

88 months ago

I live in mass and work in RI. These salaries are not comparatable at all. I have been working in a SNF for 6 yrs making $21.00 hr. it's low but close to home and Bridgewater, MA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

kirk in Kalamazoo, Michigan

87 months ago

I know this is a stupid question, but what does SNF mean. I'm going to school this fall for OTA so this is all new to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

chobers in Pembroke, New Hampshire

87 months ago

SNF is a skilled nursing facility. I don't know what an unskilled nursing facility is, though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Wichita Falls, Texas

82 months ago

I will say we have a shortage and I am out of school 4 years and make in mid to upper $20's per hour in SNF. I started out making $18.00, then 21, then 23, then what I make now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

keitha in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

i think about going in this feild and want to know if i should spend the time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I would say, yes! It is a very rewarding job and the pay depending upon where you live is not bad. Were you planning on OTA or OT? I am currently an OTA and finishing up my master's for OT. I know there are trends that we may see changing soon...to be an OT you must have a master's now and some of my teachers expect the trend for the OTD (doctorate) to happen soon. They also suspect an increase in education for even OTA's...so if you are wanting to go to school 2 years for OTA, get it done soon and you will be grandfathered in if the edcuational expectations increase.
Hope this helps?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amy in Clinton Township, Michigan

79 months ago

68k seems to be high for a salary unless you are traveling or with a staff company, I am curently making 24 an hour and 27 an hour PRN at another facility

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cotapril in Wichita Falls, Texas

79 months ago

It is a SNF. I work at 2 of them (for the same company) and PRN rates are $35-45 here depending on your experience. I made $45 per hour all summer long PRN d/t the shortage of staff. My current rate is $33 per hour at my regular job, but as I said before shortage of staff and programs = increase in demand and salary. My facilities are 10 minutes apart. But other assistants in my area are making the same as me w/o traveling to another facility. I am not with a staffing company or a traveling company. I work for a nationally based rehab company. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Eisenberg in Claremont, New Hampshire

79 months ago

Looks like Texas will be my next stop after I finish school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

One of my friend's husband is in the military and they were going to move to San antonio and she had told me she was offered 95K to work in that area. She ended up not going but it sure did sound great. Now having said that there is the potential to get over worked and burnt out. If you have time off. take it.... you will need it. I love my job but it is not all fun and games. If you cannot stand taking people to the bathroom and the things that accompany that, then this is not the job for you.
Good luck and I hope everything goes well. Be prepared as the will try to "weed out" those that are not serious in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thanks for your comment. Could you explain what you mean by weeding out those who are not serious? Who does this, the school or the employer?

As far as bathrooms are concerned, I was a CNA for a long time so I'm all set in that department. I wouldn't mind being paid $50-/hr. to take somebody to the john.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

79 months ago

Weeding out meaning if you aren't serious, you won't make it. Competition to get into school is tough and then you have to compete to stay there. I went to RN school for 3 years and thought it was much easier academically. My first day of class.......my professor walks in, picks up a glass and takes a drink and asked us to name every action in detail. We started out with 16 students and 8 of us graduated. Worth it in the end though, considering I make more than most RN's I know. I will say I did have a tough time switching my thinking from a nursing perspective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cy in Frankfort, Illinois

78 months ago

me in Wichita Falls, Texas said: I will say we have a shortage and I am out of school 4 years and make in mid to upper $20's per hour in SNF. I started out making $18.00, then 21, then 23, then what I make now.

if i'm understanding correctly the aberage salary is around $22/hr. I'm waiting to see if I am accepted into the ota program this year but I am also contimplating dental hygiene. I have experience with both fields but the salaries are so different. I wish a website was consistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Torie in Pine Bluff, AR

78 months ago

The money is good, but to me it's not worth all the politics I have to face everyday. That's why I am leaving the field. Believe me, they will work you to death. Also, you better be good with working not only with the patients you see everyday, but with staff as well. This job requires a lot of communication with staff, and can be very stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Torie:

Which environment are you referring to: nursing home?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Torie in Pine Bluff, AR

78 months ago

I dose not matter what environment you work in, SNF, Hospital, there all the same. I gave up my job as a CPA because I thought it was to boring and stressful until I became a COTA. I got more respect and praise being a CPA then I ever did being a COTA. People say that OT is a wonderful field to work in, but I think otherwise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steve Eisenberg in Concord, New Hampshire

78 months ago

Are you talking about Certified Public Accountant? My Dad left several million dollars after a CPA career. He offered me his business but I refused it, not being able to tell debits from credits.

Have you worked in rural setting? I know everybody is stressed out in cities no matter what they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I feel that the best way to advise anyone wanting to enter a career that involves working with people is to shadow someone for a week or two to see how you feel about possibly placing yourself into that role. I am an OTA and am currently going back to become an OT (fieldwork, exam and I am done!!!). I can say right now I am a little burned out in the field but still feel it is a good career choice...if you like working with people, like a challege, enjoy educating people, and over all are a creative person, OT could be a good career path. We as OT's differ many ways from PT's because we look at the entire person to help them be as independent as possible. I can say that there are many environments that we can work in...pediatric, mental health, SNF, acute, outpatient, personal care, home health, hippotherapy...the list goes on. The exciting thing we are still considered to be a young profession...not quite 100 years old so the new grads can really make other things happen for the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shayla in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

My mom graduated from Kaplan in pittsburgh as an ota. She started out making 23/hr but after a couple months went to 28/hr now she travels and is making over 30/hr. That might be a good idea for you if you don't have small children. Traveling agencies pay for everything, your rental, airfair, they set you up in a fully furnished paid apartment and give you an extra 3-400 a month as allowance on top of your weekly paychecks. And you can choose where you want to work. Texas, Hawaii, Florida wherever. Exciting. If you have any questions my e-mail is sweetkiises26@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

ok, debbie downer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Heather/Cole Therapy Center in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

Steve Eisenberg in Claremont, New Hampshire said: Looks like Texas will be my next stop after I finish school.

Send me an email and we'll chat about what work you'd be looking for once you get out of school, heathers@coletherapycenter.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Cave Creek, Arizona

75 months ago

I am currently thinking about moving to Colorado Springs Co can anyone help me with the pay scale out there and the demand?

Darbi in Orange, CA

75 months ago

Tracy in Cave Creek, Arizona said: I am currently thinking about moving to Colorado Springs Co can anyone help me with the pay scale out there and the demand?

I had a friend who moved out there a few years ago then moved back to California because she could not find a job. The pay rate is very low from she told me... $12 to $18 an hour. However, if you really have your heart set on it then do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

raquel in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

i currently make any where from $33-45 per depending if it's PRN or full time. I also work home health and make $45-60 per visit. I'm a COTA. I've been out of school for 9 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karl in Somerset, Massachusetts

75 months ago

Hi Sharon- I too am going to school for OTA, I have family that have worked in SNF's for many years and their reason for hiring a part time person is so they will not have to pay any benifits. I have a neighbor that says Massachusetts is having a huge shortage of OTA/PTA in the school system. It may be a good place to look.

Dana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Sharon you would have lots and lots of lifting in an SNF or in the schools. Every bone in my body hurts at the end of the day. Most every OT I have met have physical problems as they age. Don't know about other places being better, but I suffer from burn out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Mansfield, Massachusetts

75 months ago

Karl in Somerset, Massachusetts said: Hi Sharon- I too am going to school for OTA, I have family that have worked in SNF's for many years and their reason for hiring a part time person is so they will not have to pay any benifits. I have a neighbor that says Massachusetts is having a huge shortage of OTA/PTA in the school system. It may be a good place to look.

Karl & Dana--I really, really appreciate your honest feedback and advice. I am so grateful for these kinds of forums, rememebr when u would have to ask 25 people if they happen to know someone in order to network/get answers?
---may others support u in similar ways when u need answers,
Sharon

75 months ago

Dana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Sharon you would have lots and lots of lifting in an SNF or in the schools. Every bone in my body hurts at the end of the day. Most every OT I have met have physical problems as they age. Don't know about other places being better, but I suffer from burn out.

Not to seem too "thick" by asking this or at least seeming a tad uninformed. Here goes: why do I keep hearing about physical burnout (& stooping in uncomfortable positions 4 ling periods) on this job--is it way more taxing than CNA work? Than a PTA?
The admissions officer didn't know the answer either--My understanding is that as an OTA u are helping folks get used to going back to their old activities in new ways often using new apparatus or equipment (maybe how to correctly stand up using a walker or get around in a wheelchair or use a grabber-type gadget for high shelves or to put shoes on).--Although I heard someone here say they take people to bathroom most of day--sounded like CNA work.
Is there a setting that is considered less physical on average?
--Any info is appreciated,
Sharon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Dana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Sharon you would have lots and lots of lifting in an SNF or in the schools. Every bone in my body hurts at the end of the day. Most every OT I have met have physical problems as they age. Don't know about other places being better, but I suffer from burn out.

Also, Do any of u work at assisted living (more physical independence) or a visiting nurse association and if so, is the physical burn out less for u--maybe due to the drive between clients, etc.? When they offer benefits for hrs. at a VNA do u count the time between patients' homes or is travel not included in ur number of work hrs.? My goal would be to get benefits for fewer hrs. as possible.

thanks for any feedback,
Sharon

75 months ago

Sharon.. They do not hire OTs in assisted living facilities because that is mostly for people who can do a lot for themselves and/or medicare does not pay for it. If someone from assisted living can get reimbursed for OT then they call in a home health person. As far as home health is concerned I tried that too. The paperwork is overwhelming but for people that catch on to it they may like it better. Be prepared though to put about 70 miles per day on your car. I have never worked outpatient though and that would be less demanding, but from what I hear the paperwork again is overwhelming, and it is difficult to get that job. So, I am sorry I cannot be more positive. The overwhelming majority of the jobs are in nursing homes, and that is the WORST job possible that I can think of. I am very very depressed at that job and hate every minute of it. I feel tortured most of the day. The physical work is in the ADLs. You have to dress, bathe and toilet people that need maximum assistance. You really cannot teach them to do it if they cannot do it, but you have to bill them for it and use up the minutes doing it, and most places force you to do it because they need money.
Sorry to sound bitter but I could kick myself for going into this career, but for now I am stuck. PTAs do not do the ADLs but they do a lot of transferring of pts and lifting. Dont know if it is easier.
Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Oh to answer your question about home health pay, in home health you get paid by the client not by the time. You get a certain rate when all the paperwork is in per person. You get reimbursed for mileage but it is not an hourly job pay.

chobers in Claremont, New Hampshire

75 months ago

I'm wondering if it's easier to get a non-SNF job if you're willing to move.

Also are there Unskilled Nursing Facilities?

Tammy in Seattle, WA

75 months ago

chobers in Claremont, New Hampshire said: I'm wondering if it's easier to get a non-SNF job if you're willing to move.

Also are there Unskilled Nursing Facilities?

To answer your first question... Often you can better yourself if you are flexible in where you live. I use to live in Oregon, but the majority of jobs where in SNF's. I moved to Washington for a job in a Hand Therapy clinic four years ago and love it. Companies in Washington are utilize COTA's more and more everyday in outpatient clinics. NO MORE SNF'S FOR ME!

Answer to your second question... No, unless you count LTC as non-SNF. It seems like no one is willing to utilize COTA's anywhere but SNF's.

75 months ago

Thanks, Tammy, for the info.

Steve
NH

Angie in Arlington, TX

75 months ago

Tammy in Seattle, WA said: To answer your first question... Often you can better yourself if you are flexible in where you live. I use to live in Oregon, but the majority of jobs where in SNF's. I moved to Washington for a job in a Hand Therapy clinic four years ago and love it. Companies in Washington are utilize COTA's more and more everyday in outpatient clinics. NO MORE SNF'S FOR ME!

Answer to your second question... No, unless you count LTC as non-SNF. It seems like no one is willing to utilize COTA's anywhere but SNF's.

How could anyone live in Oregon. To many liberals who do nothing but complain about how Californians have ruined there economy. I use to live there but now live in Texas and wouldn't go back to Oregon if you paid me. Maybe that's why so many COTAs have left there. Yeeeep! most COTAs work in SNFs as most hospitals in Oregon will only hire OTRs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Arlington, TX

75 months ago

Chobbers, come to Texas. There are a lot of jobs here for COTAs with many different areas to work in... schools, hospitals, ergonomics, industrial, etc. That's one of many reasons I came to Texas. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Angie:

Texas is on my very short list of places I'm considering. I have to be near horses because I am getting interested in Hippotherapy. I figure there are probably a few horses in TX.

Steve

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Arlington, TX

75 months ago

Actually, there are many Hippotherapy clinics here in Texas. But hey, thats OK, Texas is probably to big for you anyway :))

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Clueless in Danvers, Massachusetts

75 months ago

What would be pay rate for new graduate in Mass? I'm planning to enter OTA program in Fall, but am not sure.
Do OTA work in outpatient facilities? I was thinking of volunteering as a rehab aide to see how I like it. Does anyone think that would give me a true picture of what cota would entail.
I have done lots of teachings ADLS's with my son with special needs, but not sure I want to be toileting others???
IS snf same as a nursing home? I'm 44 years old..how is the flexibility for schedules? Thanks for any help

Cindi In California

74 months ago

Clueless in Danvers, Massachusetts said: What would be pay rate for new graduate in Mass? I'm planning to enter OTA program in Fall, but am not sure.
Do OTA work in outpatient facilities? I was thinking of volunteering as a rehab aide to see how I like it. Does anyone think that would give me a true picture of what cota would entail.
I have done lots of teachings ADLS's with my son with special needs, but not sure I want to be toileting others???
IS snf same as a nursing home? I'm 44 years old..how is the flexibility for schedules? Thanks for any help

If you don't like taking people to the bathroom then your not going to like in OT.
LTC/SNF, either way you look at it there both nursing homes. More companies are hiring COTA's to work in Pediatrics in schools, outpatient, etc., but getting a job in one can be competitive.

Leah D in Minneapolis, Minnesota

74 months ago

Does anyone have general info. on the $ outlook for OTA's in Minnesota? Does it require a certain type of math skills testing to earn your 2 year? What type? Just wanted to see if people are happy with this career choice, or if they ran into unforeseen issues and regret it. Oh-- also, how much did it cost to complete 2 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

erica in Palm Bay, Florida

74 months ago

Just wondering what the career outlook is in Florida. I know there are A LOT of elderly people here, so I'm sure my best bet is working in a nursing home.
What would I be doing day to day as a COTA? Do you enjoy your work? What are the pros/cons. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

jasmine in Smithfield, Rhode Island

73 months ago

raquel in San Antonio, Texas said: i currently make any where from $33-45 per depending if it's PRN or full time. I also work home health and make $45-60 per visit. I'm a COTA. I've been out of school for 9 years.

hi. im almost finished with school for ota. im interested in moving to nc.i looked on the website therapy jobs and found that some agencies pay relocation bonuses. im interested in a home health agency travel to different clients. how much could i expect to make per client? any idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

raquel in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

i would call around to some of the staffing agents and get pay rates. if your staff through an agency it's easier to relocate. they will find the best rate for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beach_girl in Alabama

73 months ago

Hi. I have been a COTA for 10 years now working mostly in inpatient and outpatient settings. I am ready to get out of the hospital setting and am considering a job in the school system. If you are a school based COTA, I would like your opinion of what you think about working in that setting. I know the pay would depend on what area, and probably wouldn't be the greatest. But when you factor in state benefits, good hours, off all weekends, holidays, and summer it might be worth the pay cut. This is a huge decision for me, but I think it would be a great opportunity, especially when my 18 month old begins school. I would have off the same days as she. I currently work in an outpatient setting with peds, so I do have ped experience. Any info would be helpful. Please let me know what you like/dislike. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.