Eye tech jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

charisse toale in Orlando, Florida

62 months ago

hi i am a professional recruiter, and our focus is on the eye industry, i work with a company called imatters, and i am actually an optician myself. taz, my first suggestion is to reach out to all ads that you see, and write a resume that fits that job, and that will certainly help. also reach out to practices that you really want to work with, meet the staff and ask for their assistance and knowledge of other companies that are looking for help, as what we find is that most of our jobs, are not actually ever listed in ads.. networking is super important.. visit sites that allow you to receive updates on the job scopes either through twitter, or something called rss feeds. which update you on the new activity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eye Tech Bonnie in Olive Branch, Mississippi

62 months ago

I am currently working as an eye tech in Mississippi for a pediatric ophthalmologist. How do I get certified? I have accrued almost 2 years of College with an emphasis on science. Any information would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

hi bonnie, charisse toale here! i work with the nations leading ophthalmic recruiter and did a similar program to you! i am so happy to read of your dedication! good for you! 2 years under your belt is super! lets talk about making that an aa or as, and that is one start in the world. also there are home study courses available from atpo.org and jcahpo.org these are the nationally accredited courses for your present job, these credentials can be both starting as a certified ophthalmic technician (COA) and move towards a COT and with your continued education you can even become a COMT,
i have found the more education the better, we can work with you in both a private practice or if you want to continue college along with this you can also consider careers in research and administration with a COE available at the ophthalmic administrators society. good job and keep going! onward and upward is what the recruiters here at imatters say!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

61 months ago

Hi

I am also interested in becoming an Ophthalmic technician. Any helpful information that you could provide would be great :)

Thank You

ashley

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

hey ashley, ok my suggestion, if you can go to school-do. there are community college programs, comt programs like georgetown university (one of the professors does our tips on our website)
you can also learn on the job. find a practice willing to train you hands on. there is a homestudy course too available from jcahpo.org
they are the bomb! i did that course too! good luck, i love this job and know once you are in - you never leave!
ct

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Catadaki in San Antonio, Texas

46 months ago

Hi! I have been in the field for 15 years and I just love it, you are wright once you are here, you never want to leave. Just recently I finished the "Home Study Course" and I'm about to take my certification exam in 2 months. I did go to Schoold here in Texas but unfortunately I never took the test. The Study Coourse is great source but it's always very helpful to have hands on experience, it has been helpful to work in a practice where someone is willing to give you advice and teach you the tricks of the trade.
It has been the best way to learn, at least for me.

Good Luck!!

Catadaki

Good Luck!!

eyeguy52 in Cape Coral, Florida

42 months ago

I graduated from Opticianry school last year, been having a tough time finding work in Florida. I have become very interested in becoming a COT or COMT. What is involved with this? Can I find work as a trainee with no experience? I do have a family to support and didn't know what the time committments were? Thanks.

COT in TN in Memphis, Tennessee

41 months ago

eyeguy52 in Cape Coral, Florida said: I graduated from Opticianry school last year, been having a tough time finding work in Florida. I have become very interested in becoming a COT or COMT. What is involved with this? Can I find work as a trainee with no experience? I do have a family to support and didn't know what the time committments were? Thanks.

You have yo have experience in a clinic under an MD for the COA,COT,COMT, and must be sponsored by a MD in the practice once you get the COA, 3 years later you can get the COT and 3 years after that you can get the COMT. You must have the work hours to back up your time in the field and have to have CE credits during your initial certification in order to recertify, and get additional Certifications as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna C in Taylor, Michigan

37 months ago

The time schedule that COT in TN listed is incorrect; you can progress much more quickly than that. Please contact JCAHPO www.jcahpo.org for a Certification and Recertification brochure to get the correct facts (it's free and available online or they will mail you a hard copy).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim Slifer in La Crescenta, California

36 months ago

charisse toale in Orlando, Florida said: hi i am a professional recruiter, and our focus is on the eye industry, i work with a company called imatters, and i am actually an optician myself. taz, my first suggestion is to reach out to all ads that you see, and write a resume that fits that job, and that will certainly help. also reach out to practices that you really want to work with, meet the staff and ask for their assistance and knowledge of other companies that are looking for help, as what we find is that most of our jobs, are not actually ever listed in ads.. networking is super important.. visit sites that allow you to receive updates on the job scopes either through twitter, or something called rss feeds. which update you on the new activity.

I noticed most of your listing are on the east coast. I live in Los Angeles, California, what recruitor agency do you suggest out here?

joann S in Millersburg, Ohio

36 months ago

Im so glad I came acrossed this forum. I am looking for some straight up advice. Here is my history. I'm 45 yrs old been raising my kids for the last 6. I have a banking/clerical background. ok so now Im am looking for a different career. I have settled on becoming an optician. There are no schools in my area for this. I'm also have a hard time finding a job in this area considering my circumstancesS. I came across a online program through ed2go through community for optician certification training. It is 150 hours and the cost is 1695.00 Is this a good program? or is there a better online program I could take. I believe education will get my foot in the door. I should mention I am in ohio. I really need advice as I am ready to get going. please help. thank

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.