Getting an ophthalmic technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing ophthalmic technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

telle in Saint Louis, Missouri

86 months ago

I am a medical assistant that found a job in a large Ophthalmoogy practice. Find a Dr that is patient and will explain each type of exam, master the different pretesting procedures, do your homework on eye conditions from refractive to medical diagnosis. And most of all ask queestions. It takes time but it pays off. Each of the staff(depending on experience) has a unique experience or trade that you can learn from I have worked with people with over 40 years of experience. I have excellent customer service / patient relation skills by attending some seminars and utilizing optical web sites to pick up tips on how to improve relations with patients'. The more you know, the more valuable you are to the practice. The more valuable you are also demermines how you will be compensated. Right now I am the lead/ Senior technician for a Optometric Practice and I work with a great Doctor. Learn you Practioners style. I can actually tell what tests the Dr will do on patient's before they see them! It's a great feeling. Oh, I started out as a Certified Medical Assistant_so I had a medical background all I did was cater to the Ophthalmology side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ciara Turner in Saint Paul, Minnesota

79 months ago

Im currently a student at the college of saint catherine oph tech program. visit stkate.edu for more info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

charisse toale in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

hi i am a professional recruiter, and our focus is on the eye industry, i work with a company called imatters, and i am actually an optician and ophthalmic technician myself. lets talk about getting in! i started as a front office assistant and moved to the back, and will tell you it is a great industry to be in, but expect to pay your dues! there are home study courses that you can do now or when you join a practice, and they can mentor you or consider schooling as well, there are great programs from georgetown, to local community programs that are super too! ok lets talk about skills and pay, it is a really slippery slope, as different areas and the abundance of staff does make a difference as well as the benefit package that the company provides. my first suggestion is to reach out to all ads that you see, and write a resume that fits that job, and that will certainly help. also reach out to practices that you really want to work with, meet the staff and ask for their assistance and knowledge of other companies that are looking for help, as what we find is that most of our jobs, are not actually ever listed in ads.. networking is super important.. visit sites that allow you to receive updates on the job scopes either through twitter, or something called rss feeds. which update you on the new activity. last and pretty important.. make sure that you ask the interviewee, when they ask "what are you looking for in pay" to say, and i kid you not....say, please let me know where i would come in with my skills and your benefit package" as it can be a huge difference from 100% medical pay to no medical, (thats 500 dollars alone on its own) and certifications, as well as education events, etc... look at the package not the $$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.