Opthalmic tech information

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

stez in Lawrenceville, Georgia

55 months ago

I am thinking about changing careers and become an Opthalmic Technician. I would like to know the pros and cons of entering this field, salary range, and the best way to enter this field (schooling and experience). I live in Georgia and have a business degree and have been in management and training for the last 13 years. Any and all information would be very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Loraine in Freeport, New York

51 months ago

I have been a COT for 25 years. Never been bored or not challenged. The key is to be certified, keep up on continuing ed, and treat patients like you want your family treated by a tech. I now spend 80% of my time in the research end of the field as a clinical research coordinator. I make a good salary, can work flexible hours, and get respect from my doctors (because I demand it in a nice way. They know I am an asset to the office and value that!).
There are 2 ways you can become a "tech" (in " because most tech are really assistants but everyone uses the name tech!)
Number one/the front door: find an ophthalmic training school, pay the money, pass the courses, and find a job. Believe it or not, in the NY area there are NO schools! That is why in my office we look for medical assistants and I train them to be ophthalmic assistants.
Number two/the back door: find an ophthalmology office that will train you. Some offices look within and offer training to front desk staff or billing clerks but most do not want to loose that trained person so they go outside to fill a position. Send a GREAT letter (with a well-done, correctly spelled resume) to
several offices in your area. Emphasize love of learning, willingness to accept a challenge, customer service, ability to take direction, and most of all...common sense. I can train anyone who has half a brain to be a tech but I cannot teach common sense or personality.
You obviously have intelligence with your business degrees, and hopefully have customer service to back up the experience!
Good luck!

Monique

50 months ago

Hello u gave a very thought out answer to a ? I also had. I myself am about to begin a COA training program at a commun coll ,altho it is not accredited, it does include a 100 hour internship. I am positive that this is the career path for me but I am hesitant because I dnt see very many job listings.I have been jst looking for a year and I see the same 10 jobs tops.So I want to have a backup cert that wld also help get into a Oph's office. Wld u suggest medical billing,cna or medical assistant.(Sorry for abbrvs or not enough)

Monique

50 months ago

Thank You ,will look into COE C9C

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.