Want to Pursue this career but...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

valgal in Port Townsend, Washington

39 months ago

I SUCK at math! Always have! I can't understand or remember the formulas for the life of me! If anyone has any suggestions like products (books, programs) to help me with my math skills that would be great! I actually suck at all academics (except writing). This might not be a smart career choice if I'm not a good left brain thinker.

I'm dying to know what you guys do at your jobs? Do you usually just work the front desk or what? I visit my optometrist every now and then and have never seen a ophthalmic assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eyetechone in Westchester, Illinois

38 months ago

We normally work for ophthalmologist, not optometrist and have direct patient care. We prepare the patient for the doctor. Some of the things you can expect to do are taking a medical history, chief complaint of the patient, test vision, measure for glasses, check pressure, dilate and any other testing the doctor orders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Ypsilanti, Michigan

30 months ago

Very rewarding and fun field to work in if you like to work with people. I too, however, suck in math. This could prove a problem when working with a manual lensometer to read eye glass prescriptions because you have to figure out the numbers algebraically. I found a way around it...I found that I can count up or down the dial (hard to explain if you have never seen one) and find the exact figure I'm looking for...hasn't failed me yet:) Some practices don't even use manual lensometers they use computerized ones that do the reading for you:) I say go for it! It pays decent, you usually get decent benefits, PTO, and you learn a lot:) Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dukebecker in Superior, Wisconsin

28 months ago

I have shadowed both P.T.A and Oph Tech. I just don't think I have the patience for P.T. Ophthamology Tech from what I heard is more stressful but you aren"t with patients as long. Any comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Courtney in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

dukebecker in Superior, Wisconsin said: I have shadowed both P.T.A and Oph Tech. I just don't think I have the patience for P.T. Ophthamology Tech from what I heard is more stressful but you aren"t with patients as long. Any comments.

I am late to respond, but that is true in my experience! Whenever I get a difficult patient, I am comforted in knowing I won't have to spend too long with them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.