coa certification

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

lost in Dallas, Texas

61 months ago

I recently took the test and failed. I studied the home study cource thinking it was enough. There were so many questions on the test that were not covered in the book. When i contacted jcahpo i was told that questions were derived from 20 other sources. They proceeded to give me a list of books to order some up to $80.00 a piece. I am so confused. Can anyone help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Loraine in Freeport, New York

48 months ago

I know you posted 12 months ago and I hope you are still in the field.
There is a book for $40 available at stein and slatt that has previous test questions and it is an excellent source of material. I train the techs in my office and have never had one fail because I stress going over the tests in this book.
First of all, some questions are worded in a very difficult manner. By taking the tests you will clue in on this.
Secondly, some questions are asking you to choose which is the best answer to the question. That trips people up because you are focusing on the right answer in a timed test. Also confusing because all or most are the right answer.
Third, sometimes the answer they want is not the way you work in the real world.
The book I refer to gives the reasons an answer is right.
Another problem taking the test is you are into areas you have no experience in, i.e. Goldmann Visual Fields. I have been a COT for 25 years, and worked in the field for over 30 years, yet I have NEVER seen a goldmann visual field! I also have very limited experience with the fit of contact lenses. I can evaluate the fit but that is all. When studying for the COT test, I realized I was driving myself crazy trying to master areas I had no experience or training in, and decided to just read up on them and go over the test questions in the textbook, and admit to myself that I would not get a great score in these categoried. I was right-I got a low score for the goldmann questions, the schiotz, and contacts. I aced the other areas because I concentrated on the fields I knew.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Catadaki in San Antonio, Texas

46 months ago

Loraine in Freeport, New York said: I know you posted 12 months ago and I hope you are still in the field.
There is a book for $40 available at stein and slatt that has previous test questions and it is an excellent source of material. I train the techs in my office and have never had one fail because I stress going over the tests in this book.
First of all, some questions are worded in a very difficult manner. By taking the tests you will clue in on this.
Secondly, some questions are asking you to choose which is the best answer to the question. That trips people up because you are focusing on the right answer in a timed test. Also confusing because all or most are the right answer.
Third, sometimes the answer they want is not the way you work in the real world.
The book I refer to gives the reasons an answer is right.
Another problem taking the test is you are into areas you have no experience in, i.e. Goldmann Visual Fields. I have been a COT for 25 years, and worked in the field for over 30 years, yet I have NEVER seen a goldmann visual field! I also have very limited experience with the fit of contact lenses. I can evaluate the fit but that is all. When studying for the COT test, I realized I was driving myself crazy trying to master areas I had no experience or training in, and decided to just read up on them and go over the test questions in the textbook, and admit to myself that I would not get a great score in these categoried. I was right-I got a low score for the goldmann questions, the schiotz, and contacts. I aced the other areas because I concentrated on the fields I knew.
Good luck!

Hi, this is a grat suggestion, but you forgot to give us the name of the book. Can you comment on that please?
BJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Catadaki in San Antonio, Texas

46 months ago

Hi, this is a grat suggestion, but you forgot to give us the name of the book. Can you comment on that please?
BJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.