How do I get back into the field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Alice in Raleigh, North Carolina

64 months ago

I have been away from Ophthalmology for 10 yrs after deciding to become a "stay at home Mom". I am now trying to get back in...before this I had 10 years of work experience as a COA. Can anyone tell me how to get my foot back in the door? I have submitted resumes (leaving the dates of the years off - as suggested by a professional resume writer) but have had no luck. I can't renew my certification unless someone gives me an opportunity! Any suggestions would be great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

charisse toale in Orlando, Florida

64 months ago

alice, ok as a professional recruiter working with imatters, we focus on the eye industry and i am an ophthalmic tech myself! i see your story daily so lets talk about you and your needs for a second.
lots has happened in 10 years, and basically you are going to bring some talent to the table yet, yet, you have a huge learning curve with the new technology, we see new equipment each year and new techniques for diagnosing issues. i want to give you a super shout out too, as you have been super cool in trying to blend family and a great career. you couldn't be in a better position! so lets get you started, maybe consider working as a front office/scribe first which will get you into EMR and new terminology as well as a growth opportunity for you to move to the back office! remember also that working as a mom has given you skills that are really important, prioritizing, delegating and also able to withstand immediate pressures.. gives you an advantage.
good luck and you couldnt be in a better industry!
charisse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice in Raleigh, North Carolina

64 months ago

charisse toale in Orlando, Florida said: alice, ok as a professional recruiter working with imatters, we focus on the eye industry and i am an ophthalmic tech myself! i see your story daily so lets talk about you and your needs for a second.
lots has happened in 10 years, and basically you are going to bring some talent to the table yet, yet, you have a huge learning curve with the new technology, we see new equipment each year and new techniques for diagnosing issues. i want to give you a super shout out too, as you have been super cool in trying to blend family and a great career. you couldn't be in a better position! so lets get you started, maybe consider working as a front office/scribe first which will get you into EMR and new terminology as well as a growth opportunity for you to move to the back office! remember also that working as a mom has given you skills that are really important, prioritizing, delegating and also able to withstand immediate pressures.. gives you an advantage.
good luck and you couldnt be in a better industry!
charisse

Thanks so much Charisse! Great encouragement! I am going to enroll in some online classes for Medical Office Administration. This should look attractive on my resume, I hope, and may give me a better chance of getting back into the field - even though it's not the position I'm aiming for.
Thanks again. :)
Alice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.