I'm an Orthoptist from Portugal - How can I become an Ophthalmic Technician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

RitaPT in Lisbon, Portugal

42 months ago

I recently found out about the Ophthalmic Technician career and I am very interested in it. In Portugal that career option doesn't exist, the tasks are performed by Orthoptists like me, but as an Ophthalmic Technician I would be able to focus in the tasks that I'm really interested.
I have tried to get some help from the jcahpo.org but they didn't get back to me so far.
Does anyone know how can a foreigner like me (I am currently living and working in Portugal) start a career as an OT? Of course it would imply me moving to the US, but I'm willing to. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Reading, United Kingdom

38 months ago

Hi. I believe you need to the COA certification. Have you ever considered working in Australia? This is where I graduated and like you are work not only include orthoptics, but all ophthalmic assistant work, mostly in private eye clinics. The pay is much better than USA and there is a big demand. Also, just wondering if you know of any work in Faro or castelo branco? I currently live and work in UK but my wife and I wish to return to here native country for a while. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.