Top Owner Operator skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every Owner Operator must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your Owner Operator expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Al Foca in Stratford, New Jersey

72 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every Owner Operator must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your Owner Operator expertise?

1] Have the experience at lease 10 yrs.
2] Have a clean driving record no DUi/Dwi
3] Know what load to take to make the $.
4] Don't fake your way in to a job. They will only fine out. If your good they will know it. Good luck............Al

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hellofaday in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

57 months ago

The 3 top traits that most companies are looking for are

1)Dependability
2)Safety
3)Honesty

I am a recruiter, and the above listed traits are very desirable to most of the companies I deal with. If a O/O can be dependable, safe driver and honest, everything else will fall into place. I didn't say "Experience" because that is not a trait in my book it's a requirement. The same thing with driving record. If your safe and honest your driving record and personal record will be clean. I also didn't mention "hard working" as a trait because I feel that is covered under "dependability" I am certain that there are many other traits that a person can have to excel as a O/O but my experience has taught me that those are the top 3.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob T in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

What you pay per mile-- my friend found a job as a owner op getting 1.30 a mile and 6000 miles a week. Anywhere near this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob T in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

He has to have another driver tho and he pays him 41 cents a mile>

Bob T in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

what i am asking is is this normal pay for owner ops and normal miles? thank you

Hellofaday in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

56 months ago

First of all, unless your friend is running 3 log books he is NOT doing 6000 miles a week. The only way he can come anywhere near that is if he is running team, even then it would be tough on the log book for both of them. Right now $1.30 seems to be the industry standard. It won't matter where you go you should get $1.30 a mile. Normal miles for the people I work with is right around 2,000 to 2,500 a week. You have to understand, I mostly deal with hotshots so they tend to run more short hauls (500 miles or under) than big trucks do. That normally includes at least one night layover.

Bob T in Broadview Heights, Ohio

56 months ago

Hellofaday in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: First of all, unless your friend is running 3 log books he is NOT doing 6000 miles a week. The only way he can come anywhere near that is if he is running team, even then it would be tough on the log book for both of them. Right now $1.30 seems to be the industry standard. It won't matter where you go you should get $1.30 a mile. Normal miles for the people I work with is right around 2,000 to 2,500 a week. You have to understand, I mostly deal with hotshots so they tend to run more short hauls (500 miles or under) than big trucks do. That normally includes at least one night layover.

he says he drives from toledo ohio to california (near la) then to virigina i think then back to toledo-- does that seem like 6000 miles.

Hellofaday in Elgin, Oklahoma

56 months ago

Bob T in Broadview Heights, Ohio said: he says he drives from toledo ohio to california (near la) then to virigina i think then back to toledo-- does that seem like 6000 miles.

I am not disputing your friends route. Just the time he says he drives it in. I'm not really going to invest the time to figure the actual miles. I am just saying, that "one" person cannot run 6000 miles a week legally. Do the math, Rules state that a single driver can only drive 11 hrs a day. Now lets (for arguments sake) say that your friend AVERAGES 65 mph for the whole day. Now understand this includes stops for fuel, food and bathroom breaks. That only adds up to 715 miles. You should be able to figure out the rest on your own. O by the way, there is another rule that you should be aware of. A single driver cannot log more than 70 hrs on duty in a 7 day period. So if your friend runs 70 hrs straight averaging 65 mph he will have only driven 4550 miles. The other thing that you have to consider is that he is running in a few states that only have a 55 mph speed limit. So if you figure that in as well,,, again you do the math. All this infromation is available online. If need be I can provide the links for you to check it out on your own. By all means, PLEASE, don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself so you know what YOUR talking about when you speak to your friend again. This will be my last post on this subject.Best of luck and God Speed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob T in Broadview Heights, Ohio

56 months ago

Hellofaday in Elgin, Oklahoma said: I am not disputing your friends route. Just the time he says he drives it in. I'm not really going to invest the time to figure the actual miles. I am just saying, that "one" person cannot run 6000 miles a week legally. Do the math, Rules state that a single driver can only drive 11 hrs a day. Now lets (for arguments sake) say that your friend AVERAGES 65 mph for the whole day. Now understand this includes stops for fuel, food and bathroom breaks. That only adds up to 715 miles. You should be able to figure out the rest on your own. O by the way, there is another rule that you should be aware of. A single driver cannot log more than 70 hrs on duty in a 7 day period. So if your friend runs 70 hrs straight averaging 65 mph he will have only driven 4550 miles. The other thing that you have to consider is that he is running in a few states that only have a 55 mph speed limit. So if you figure that in as well,,, again you do the math. All this infromation is available online. If need be I can provide the links for you to check it out on your own. By all means, PLEASE, don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself so you know what YOUR talking about when you speak to your friend again. This will be my last post on this subject.Best of luck and God Speed.

i am not saying u r wrong or anything like that i am just trying to figure out if i should try to become and owner op or a company driver. but i did say he has another driver and if they are both driving roughly 3000 miles that would equal 6000 miles. if you dont mind please give me those links-- not cuz i dont believe you-- i just think it would be helpful for me. thank you very much

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.