I need info on how to get started and what it takes, I know the common sense stuff and thats all the info I can find?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jasontmartin3@yahoo.com in High Springs, Florida

63 months ago

I need info on how to get started and what it takes, I know the common sense stuff and thats all the info I can find? I know how to get a truck and get jobs. I know I can fail but want to know how to start. I want to know the legal stuff like taxes, license, laws, state and fed. regulation. What do I need to have to start my own business. Hopfully some one in the world can finally help me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

_Trucking_ in Dallas, Texas

28 months ago

If you want to become your own trucking company the first thing you need is a copy of the DOT regulations. Learn it. This will tell you all the laws you must abide by. Next you need a business plan. What kind of company will you be? Will you provide Power Only or will you need your own trailer. What kind of trailer will you need? Lets suppose you are going to do Power Only and get your loads from a broker with trailers provided.
You will need Liability insurance usually 1M in coverage.
Cargo Insurance usually 100K in coverage
and Trailer interchange coverage usually $20K in coverage
Will you drive or will you have drivers?
If you will hire employees then you will need to review your states laws and determine if you need Workers comp insurance coverage or Occ Acc for them.
No Driver ok, now heres what you need. After you purchase your truck and set up your authority you will also need Bobtail insurance and Physical Damage insurance.
Taxes: within 60 days of buying the truck you will have to pay your 2290. This is an annual tax of $550. Once you start running you will have to file fuel taxes quarterly. To avoid owing these taxes purchase fuel in each state for the amount of miles you will run in the state. Sales tax. Some states require you to pay sales tax on your equipment. Check your state and if they do charge it be prepared to pay it or have it financed with your equipment. Now you are ready to find a carrier that can keep you loaded. Determine what your gross income, fixed expenses and variable expenses are before you choose a company to work with. Can the company meet your requirements? Choose carefully and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.