Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

Host

What are typical painter salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

phil in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

96 months ago

I have been painting most of my life 25 years and let me tell you 15 years ago i made more money then now. everybody wonts to call themself a painter as soon as they pull a trigger. we had to learn it all. most painters these days cant use a brush nore can they texture .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Bahuer in East Orange, New Jersey

79 months ago

Host said: What are typical painter salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

in nyc a union painter journey man makes 34 75 an hr, and if sprays it goes up to 3750 hr 7 hr a day god bless dc9

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tammie in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

Contact me at tamaro@constructcorps.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

michael in Dallas, Texas

73 months ago

8 dollars an hour to start, to 1000 dollars a week if you really learn all aspects of the trade i.e. manufacture,sales...

yes to second question

that amount is endless dont you think?

everything there is to know about what you are doing i.e.what price should you charge,what to use,how to apply,prep,clean,wrap,ship,repair,duplicate,purchase,make profit and so on and so and so on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael in Dallas, Texas

73 months ago

no its not god bless the mexican painter its lets train the painter whom ever he or she may be, painting is a skill that has to be (learned) if that is a word and or taught just like any other job you may aquire.education,on job trainning,testing,evaluating and so on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pete

73 months ago

inferior workmanship and lowballing the jobs price. These factors combined with the fact that the people look at the bottom line and not the finish product.....puts alot of "trained" painters out of business.
Been there ....done that ......don't paint anymore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

larry gagne in Ottawa, Ontario

69 months ago

a possative attitude will get you there , i painted for 30 year;s then decided to patent a product called the tray arm sold by ts simms , that can be goggled , company is out of newbrunswhick painting tool's . click on new product's . well if your still painting probably best to work smarter and not harder ?? pps didn;t get rich but did create a revenue for 17 year;s ,a drop in the bucket , and one more step closer to getting away from the game of painting . good luck to all the painter;s ,a rough road for sure , but only the strong survive , no matter what you do for work .so best to keep trucking (with a possative attitude . re larry gagne @hotmail.com :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

larry gagne in Ottawa, Ontario

69 months ago

phil in Rancho Cucamonga, CA said: I have been painting most of my life 25 years and let me tell you 15 years ago i made more money then now. everybody wonts to call themself a painter as soon as they pull a trigger. we had to learn it all. most painters these days cant use a brush nore can they texture .

ohhh well just do your stuff , don;t worry too much about other;s no sence looseing sleep over that , just take care of number one , when other;s screw up doesn;t that make you look better ????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

9005 in Madison, Wisconsin

61 months ago

phil in Rancho Cucamonga, CA said: I have been painting most of my life 25 years and let me tell you 15 years ago i made more money then now. everybody wonts to call themself a painter as soon as they pull a trigger. we had to learn it all. most painters these days cant use a brush nore can they texture .

You can say that again Bud. But you must learn to spell !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kenny in Madison, Wisconsin

61 months ago

Rick W in Houghton Lake, Michigan said: I know what you're going through. I've worked as a painter for 28 yrs + and have been out of work for the last two years. The openings that are available pay so little it's not even worth it with the gas prices as high as they are. I live in Northern Michigan and have to drive at least an hour or more. I'm really considering possibly leaving the state. Michigan has really hit bottom.

Man I live in the State of Wisconsin and it's just as bad here too !
10 years ago,the painting business was BOOMING off the hook! but now people are painting there own homes and businesses.So now I brush the dust off of my vast record collection and DJ parties,wedding or whatever i can sink my teeth into.other things like taking photo's at the club for cash, Barber shop in my basement,I'm even taking up jazz and blues guitar and playing with local bands in my neck of the wood's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kenny in Madison, Wisconsin

61 months ago

richard in Chicago, Illinois said: looking for a job ..25 years expirence,own truck ,tools .Few time first place winner of Painting Lady Contest in Illinois...Now looking for customers or contractors who can gie me a job for subcontract...or per hour...Any info ..webprods@gmail.com.Thank you...Richard

GOOD LUCK !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Riptide in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

61 months ago

depends on what kind of painting your doing, most companys pay between $12.00-$15.00 and hour to start but then you got the companys that want to only pay $8.00 an hour and you should stay away from those. I have been painting for 25 years and got laid off 4 months ago and with what scammer companies are paying im trying to break out on my own, but it takes time and its very hard to get customers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

larry in Ottawa, Ontario

61 months ago

painting contest , i was thinknig of that , iam a painter of 30 years , sorry not a old fart , just started at a early age , loll, check out that new product called the ( tray arm ) made by simms .

even though i invented that product , sure wroks swell , you don,t have to bend for the tray a 100 times a day etc,,,, iam in the ottawa are ( ont ) so not really sure where you may find it , maybe the lowes store ,,, ENJOY ,,, pps still putting the paint on the walll ,lol,,,,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

adam in Staten Island, New York

60 months ago

Does anyone know how much a painting foreman makes with DC-9?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ahnold strongand bigger in Janesville, Wisconsin

56 months ago

Yes it bites out there if your a good fast painter you should command at least 20 per if your on your own,working for someone else fifteen or a little higher.As a sub you need at least 20 your paying your own taxes and everything else it rots really but benefits dont pay bills we need the cash,flash for sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

glen norton in Spokane, Washington

55 months ago

I am a seasoned painter with 22yrs. experience in the painting field.I dont know what that president is doing for anybody, but where is all the work??????. 2yrs ago I lived in bozeman montana and you could just name your price, in fact there was more work than you could shake a stick at.Now the place my family & me fell in love with is growing at the pace of a "ghost town"!. We moved to spokane in hopes of being able to find work but at best was busy for the summer months & I have been actively pursuing work for 6 mos. to no avail. If there is a need for someone with my exper. please shoot me an email as I am willing to relocate at my own expense for the right eccentive & or company.glennorton@att.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

KM Fresh Paint Inc. in Madison, Wisconsin

55 months ago

People just keep trying,I know its very hard, just don't give up.
I found a wat to make a little extra... St Vennies has old guitars from 5-20.oo dollars I restring them clean and tune them up and TRY to resale them to music stores that buy and sale guitars and stuff... Ialso found a ventage clothing store looking for stuff from the 50's and older So good will has been my best friend as of late I find old suits that are in good shape and sale them to ventage stores in my area. The point is we have to be creative.
I plan to take this to the Net sooner or later Ebay is a start but I have to think out side the box is I want this to really work for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marty Wolfe in Kernersville, North Carolina

55 months ago

I own a paint contracting business in NC. Before that I worked for a large firm, several offices throughout the state, probably the oldest in the state. Few large Contractors like this exist. This company I worked for had a large office/shop, ect and operated professionally, at one time even had a small plane to visit jobs in the SE..These are a dying breed. I was the Sr. Project Manager when the owner retired and closed down.

So I took that experience and a 80 year old customer list and went out on my own. It was tough at first, long hours, but by my second year I was doing about 3 million gross sales..Obvious that has changed. This year was to survive. For each job that bids you have 40 Contractors bidding and they take bids from hundreds of so called painters that don't have a clue. Bids can differ by 50%. So the person that gets the job is the dummy that made the most mistakes. Years ago someone turned in a bid that was obviously low, it was thrown out, now contractors use them. Even if you are low, they will still call you and want you to lower your number more, not illegal, but unethical. Then you usually wait 90-120 days for your first progress payment...what do I do...I'm not playing that game. You make nothing, mass headaches and all your money is tied up.

Luckily I have some good customers, but even they are slow. You cut every cost and hang on. Keep in mind, the ones that make it will do well when it comes around. People have ignored work for so long that they will have to address it this year. I have several Property Management firms already calling. Now the wood has rotted, more labor, ect. Find decent customers, don't work for nothing.

Obvious the illegals have driven salarys down. I would say 12 years ago before the illegals took over, a painter made $12 an hour here...guess what...that's what most still make. A good painter or Supervisor with all skills can make $14-$18 per hour working for someone...that's about my pay scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marty Wolfe in Kernersville, North Carolina

55 months ago

Kenny in Madison, Wisconsin said: I just don't get it. Even The union has very little work in my area !
and a lot of the bigger painting Company's laying off as well.
and I low ball the low baller's but every were I go,I see Mexican's in white's covered in paint and when I ask them who they work for they don't even speak English,or so they say.I fact,every employee at the local grocery store is from another country and when I take my family out to eat more then half the time the service is often provided by people from another country.And when ever my cable,cell phone or internet goes out,and I call the service number;The person on the other end of the phone has such a strong accent I can hardly understand them when they speak.And whenever I go to the local job service all I ever see is American's out of work.And just so you know,....I'm a Male black.

Kenny, it is sad. How do you deal with illegals. They ask for little, work hard and cheap. What people don't realize is they are illegal, they usually don't have insurance. Most Mexican run companies can have 100 painters, but only turn in work comp on a few of them and pay the others under the table. Most don't pay taxes, ect..

They really have hurt blacks. I know several blacks that use to lay brick in the 80's for $15 an hour...that's what illegals do it for now, if not cheaper. I don't mind anyone that works hard and plays by the rules, but our government likes the cheap labor and the votes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

46 months ago

I need a painter asap I dont have a lot of money and I need to have a condo turned around for sale by the 17th of this month two bed rooms (aprox. 12.5x17) and a livingroom (18x21 aprox) as well as a guest 1/2 bathroom please call paul

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

larrygagne@hotmail.com in Ottawa, Ontario

46 months ago

need a painter and not much money , too funny good luck with that !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

larrygagne@hotmail.com in Ottawa, Ontario

46 months ago

let,s see now , your on a mission to make some $$$$ and that,s great , but you don,t have much money, well that means you will get a really crazy person just like you !!! iam sure mostly eveyone is going to go work for almost fee !!!! i bet you want a great job done aehh !!!

pay peanuts and you get monkey,s don,t you know that !!!! i hope you get lot,s of bites on your nonsence add , don,t have much money and a whole lot of bs behind that !!!! your the kind of customer real painters run from , nothing but a headache big time , iam sure you will complain big time afterwards , MR CHEAP B,,,,, lol,,,,,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T Larosa in Fort Wayne, Indiana

42 months ago

9005 in Madison, Wisconsin said: You can say that again Bud. But you must learn to spell !

That was funny dude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dbest in Surrey, British Columbia

39 months ago

Host said: What are typical painter salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

Its best to get your ticket and work for and a union company. Go to International Union of painters and Allied Trades. (IUPAT) . They can help you get started with an apprenticeship program. If you have Over 8000 proven work hours in the field then her in Vancouver Canada you can go ahead and take your red seal exam and get your ticket. Union ticketed painters in Vancouver are earning 37.50 per hour. Non union companies usually don't pay near this and its not enough! The second way to make good money as a painter is to work for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Some random painter pro in Gouldsboro, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

nick in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: im in school in St.Paul MN and my teacher says that a first year apprentice makes about 18.00 once they get their journyman they will be making 44.00 an hr but iv'e been looking all over this internet to find these stats but It says 20.00 high paying on bls.gov so i don't know

It's true. The jobs are out there. I've been with my company for 6 years. I started at 150$ a day ,my last raise took me to 400$ a day in which I worked out with my boss for 90k annual salary. We do strickly commercial business, national accounts all over the country. I run my own 4 man crew. I provide a truck and my own tools. If your a real go getter, you'll find what your looking for. Good luck to you. Keep painting!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Botson in Parkersburg, West Virginia

34 months ago

This has been a very good year for the company I work for. Im out of Parkersburg, WV and I've been painting UNION for 7 yrs I took after my father. I learned early how to use almost all of the painters trades from brush and roll, spray, drywall finishing, paper hanging special coatings and containments, sandblaasting, and pressure washing. to each their own but ive had to do them all and I do most fairly well but some better than others. We make 17.32 at comm B and 22.48 at 100%. (thats journeyman scale)

Union Painters All The Way! GET BUSY!!

cool_cat in Sydney, Australia

31 months ago

Yeah, in Australia it's the same, but a flip side in qualified painters for sure. Since the "economic downturn" apparently contractors are desperate for work, but there's always clients who don't want immigrants in someone's beautiful house eying out their stuff, or for that matter, low paid slaves who probably don't have insurance, or avoid tax or send their money back to their country. May I ask why someone would get a unqualified brushand to do a bodgy job, and make the house look cheap and sad, when you can add 5% value on your most valuable asset and also guarantee that if your not happy with something, your local painter is just around the corner to touch something up of fix a crack that came up during a storm of something. I've said it many times, you must charge accordingly, and a painter & decorator is as fast as three apprentices, and still does a job that's three times better. Bare that in mind for the ignoramous. The truth speaks for itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

top notch work in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

29 months ago

hi guys i have worked for myself in scotland since 1983
years ago made good money for my skills all aspects of the trade no problem, now we have hundreds of polish painters haha so called
they started out cheaper than local tradesmen not now though but they have cornered the market because they work longer hours than local guys, they share properties, to keep the expenses down send the money home , stay here for average2-3 years then go home buy a big house, come back a couple years later and do it again

most decent tradesmen in edinburgh wont price against them because they will undercut your price everytime shoddy work etc,
never met a good one yet, when are people in this country going to learn local is best.

Jim in Fremont, Nebraska

26 months ago

glen norton in Spokane, Washington said: I am a seasoned painter with 22yrs. experience in the painting field.I dont know what that president is doing for anybody, but where is all the work??????. 2yrs ago I lived in bozeman montana and you could just name your price, in fact there was more work than you could shake a stick at.Now the place my family & me fell in love with is growing at the pace of a "ghost town"!. We moved to spokane in hopes of being able to find work but at best was busy for the summer months & I have been actively pursuing work for 6 mos. to no avail. If there is a need for someone with my exper. please shoot me an email as I am willing to relocate at my own expense for the right eccentive & or company.glennorton@att.net

Is your experience in industrial or other, there is a lot of work in Nebraska. II am always looking for experienced industrial painters and have not been out of work for 5 years and have more than know what to do with right now.

joydivine in Atlanta, Georgia

25 months ago

nd a lot of the bigger painting Company's laying off as well.
and I low ball the low baller's but every were I go,I see Mexican's in white's covered in paint and when I ask them who they work for they don't even speak English,or so they say.I fact,every employee at the local grocery store is from another country and when I take my family out to eat more then half the time the service is often provided by people from another country.And when ever my cable ,cell phone or internet goes out,and I call the service number;The person on the other end of the phone has such a strong accent I can hardly understand them when they speak.And whenever I go to the local job service all I ever see is American's out of work.And just so you know,....I'm a Male black.

joydivine in Atlanta, Georgia

25 months ago

Everything that has happened is because our country has sold us out to the lowest bidder. I can not hate on anyone getting work whether they are here legally or not. They need to eat too. It just disgust me to see the poor quality of work. But anyone who want cheap quality painting deserves exactly what they pay for. I think that if I risked my life to go Mexico and was able to be there, I deserve to have the life that it brings. I would at least learn the language, learn the skill of painting and find a way to legally be a citizen. I agree, too many Americans are out of work and we can blame the Republican administration for selling this country and all the American people out. By the way, I have been in this business, for over 30 years. I make it a policy to not hire anybody who would not hire me! I am a black female, by the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pazzzz20 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

to be in the painters union do you need to do the apprenticeship?

Eyes Open in Brooklyn, New York

18 months ago

PLEASE READ HERE IS WHAT IS GOING ON IN NEW YORK CITY PAINTERS UNION
my 2 cents are as follows. i completed the apprenticeship program for painters for 4 years. this is how the crooked DC9 iupat works. while working there i noticed most journeyman that were working would be taking cash instead of on the books in order to stay working. not only were they taking cash, they were forced to break there backs painting 2 apartments in 1 day by themselves. ive asked the union president why ive never seen apprentice graduates working and he would change the subject. he knew what was going on. we would graduate and get the boot because we did not take cash and companies would rather let you go and hire another apprentice and save money. DC9 IUPAT know what is going on but business is business to them but they dont see that they're ruining peoples lives when they tell them that they can retire doing this work when in reality they only get to work 4 years and get the boot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RYDAVIS in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

5 months ago

joydivine in Atlanta, Georgia said: Everything that has happened is because our country has sold us out to the lowest bidder. I can not hate on anyone getting work whether they are here legally or not. They need to eat too. It just disgust me to see the poor quality of work. But anyone who want cheap quality painting deserves exactly what they pay for. I think that if I risked my life to go Mexico and was able to be there, I deserve to have the life that it brings. I would at least learn the language, learn the skill of painting and find a way to legally be a citizen. I agree, too many Americans are out of work and we can blame the Republican administration for selling this country and all the American people out. By the way, I have been in this business , for over 30 years. I make it a policy to not hire anybody who would not hire me! I am a black female, by the way.

Hello

My family and I are thinking about relocating to my hometown of Atlanta! My hubby is looking to transfer his painting company down there. He's painted union for over 20 years. We are looking to come down and make a good living. How is the painting business down there now?

Thanks
RYDAVIS

stubbs in Abilene, Texas

4 months ago

larry in Ottawa, Ontario said: painting contest , i was thinknig of that , iam a painter of 30 years , sorry not a old fart , just started at a early age , loll, check out that new product called the ( tray arm ) made by simms .

even though i invented that product , sure wroks swell , you don,t have to bend for the tray a 100 times a day etc,,,, iam in the ottawa are ( ont ) so not really sure where you may find it , maybe the lowes store ,,, ENJOY ,,, pps still putting the paint on the walll ,lol,,,,

drop a screen in a mop bucket bro and get it done.

stubbs in Abilene, Texas

4 months ago

try using a mop bucket... it has wheels and a screen fits nice....

Zack in South Africa

14 days ago

Just got my visa , l am coming there l need food on my table. I am painter by the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.