BS in criminal justice and finding paralegal work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

ricky in Miami, Florida

83 months ago

I just graduated from my school and wanted to start doing paralegal work. Ive been trying to find information on how to get started but I cant find anything theres so much information and none of it is what I'm looking for. Every where I look they want some one with experience.

What certification do I need on top of my degree and where can I get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lee C in Davie, Florida

81 months ago

Hi 'Displaced',
Your blog has been really helpful and at the same time poses a potentially daunting picture for an immigrant still trying to figure the way around the system and its culture.
I have been advised that I need to embark on work in the criminal justice environment, so that when I have completed my degree, I will be more viable. I had already planned on getting my Paralegal certificate, having been talked out of an Associates degree and into the BSCJA I am pursuing. The thing is, I don't see with what you have said, how I will even be able to get my big toe in the front door of any criminal justice oriented workplace if I have what seems to be 3 things going against me; make that 4 for the tightening seems in the job market and South Florida does not seem to provide too many open doors for those of us with a goal and excellent work ethics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ElaineMM in Palmer, Massachusetts

43 months ago

Thanks for the advise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

msgreen in Summerville, South Carolina

42 months ago

I will have a Paralegal Degree (Associates) in 4 weeks and am planning on going to school for 2 more semesters to get my degree in Criminal Justice. What jobs will be open to me with the duel degrees? I am just finishing an internship in a Probate firm and have been offered a part time job there while I am still in school, but this does not promise to be a long term full time position. What should I be looking forward to with a degree in both areas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

klspeeg

42 months ago

I already have my AA in Paralegal, but there just does not seem to be any jobs for that field in my area. Not unless you already have experience which i do not have.

So i have already decided maybe i should go back to school for my AA or BS degree in Criminal Justice. Any suggestions on that idea would be most helpful for me thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

msgreen in Summerville, South Carolina

42 months ago

klspeeg said: I already have my AA in Paralegal, but there just does not seem to be any jobs for that field in my area. Not unless you already have experience which i do not have.

So i have already decided maybe i should go back to school for my AA or BS degree in Criminal Justice. Any suggestions on that idea would be most helpful for me thank you.

You could always do intern time at a law firm while you are in school, and some programs require a certain amount of intern hours to graduate. It will give you some experience to put on your resume as well as references from the attorneys that you interned for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Confused. in Jacksonville, North Carolina

30 months ago

I am very much interested in anything pertaining to law and law enforcement. I go back and forth if I want to be an attorney or law enforcement. Needing a degree in Paralegal, and a degree in Criminal Justice. I do not know yet if to get one, or both, or what would be best.

Frustrated! Help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mar in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

29 months ago

ElaineMM in Palmer, Massachusetts said: I have my BS in criminal justice , how to I get a paralegal certificate

Get a certificate from a community college. Make sure it is ABA approved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Hayward, California

29 months ago

Mar in Buffalo Grove, Illinois said: Get a certificate from a community college. Make sure it is ABA approved.

Mar in Buffalo Grove, Illinois said: Get a certificate from a community college. Make sure it is ABA approved.

Greetings.

I am planning to going back to school to obtain a Paralegal certificate. I wanted to know what is the best way to find out if which school/program is best to show I have qualification to work in the field of law.

I have a BS in Kinesiology. After attending some advisory sessions from the local law schools and spoke with admission individuals, they preferred candidates with experience in the field.

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.