City of Denver or State of Colo.??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 115)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

State of Colo. pays less, but seems to have better benefits, like paid time off. City of Denver has a job that suits me better. Seems like movement is good within State, room to grow and move around job-wise. City I'd probably be pigeon holed in. Which one??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

Wow....to be able to choose between two government jobs.....

Take the State of Colorado job. IMO you'll have better job security, not to mention the benies accruing from a state government job.

Good luck with whichever job you choose. Either way, you'll be a winner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

22 months ago

Alot of factors to considered. First, what happens if your not offered one of the jobs?

When I think of NYC government versus NY state government I think it's almost the same as what you say about Colorado.

I think deep down that inner voice is telling you what do to.

I THINK that a city job looks better on a resume than a state. Here in NY people think of working in New York City govt as your somebody and you have "smarts versus a state job where the consensus is that your just a paper pusher.

Good Luck my friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

State of Colorado jobs are considered to be very good jobs, especially for law.

For example, the Colorado Supreme Court Attorney Disciplinary Counsel division is a good job to have and hard to get. A lawyer I met there is highly regarded in her specialty.

22 months ago

I would add that a job with the Colorado A-G's office is nothing to sneeze at.

22 months ago

90 percent of state workers in NY belong to the CSEA union. The union represents paper pushers. (Lottery salespeople, Dept of Labor reps, etc)

People here though lump all NY state workers into that same group.

The 10 percent are here are represented by another union which are for the highly skilled/talented. The Public Employees Federation.

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

Hi all, I'm not so concerned with being a "somebody". I'm more concerned about overall job satisfaction, and of course stability and benefits. I want to retire at a reasonable age.

I am probably too eager beaver, I don't have job offers yet. But I did go thru 2nd rounds and they seemed to really like me. Both interviews went on for quite some time with them talking to me as if I was hired. They introduced benefits, not me.

So yeah, it could be only one offers me the job and then I'll take it.

With the state, it's a judicial asst. job. So nothing fancy but really really nice people. And of course, the opportunity to move around.

With the city, it's a paralegal job. More up my alley, but not a ton of movement there. Challenging and nice people.

They both want to hire right away, so I'll know soon hopefully.

22 months ago

Good luck. You seem like a nice person.

22 months ago

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado said: With the state, it's a judicial asst. job. So nothing fancy but really really nice people. And of course, the opportunity to move around.
...eventually to the A-G's office or PD's office.

In either case, the C & C or State of Colorado, I don't see how you can lose.

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

Hi all, oh gosh I'm in a pickle. Need advice asap. I have a choice to make. I've accepted the job with the private firm. Start next week. The C&C just called and offered the para job. Less pay. I don't know what to do. The pay diff is $8K. I was told I'd get a raise next month that would make the diff more like $6K. Priv firm is legal secretary. C&C is paralegal. Help!

21 months ago

what is c&c

As long as it's not the county take the government job.

Is this the same "I use to love my job :( in Denver Colorado?"

21 months ago

Yep! Now I'm limbo, LOL.

It's the city attorney's office. Although Denver is incorporated so it's city and county of Denver.

21 months ago

I don't get it. City and County is the same???

I wouldn't work for the county. State or City is where I would work.

Wait alittle while Unemployed Paralegal will comment. He's having dinner. Good Luck.

21 months ago

Denver is a consolidated city-county, Joe. It is merged into one city-county jurisdiction. This article will explain it for you:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_city-county

21 months ago

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: I've accepted the job with the private firm. Start next week. The C&C just called and offered the para job. Less pay. I don't know what to do. The pay diff is $8K. I was told I'd get a raise next month that would make the diff more like $6K. Priv firm is legal secretary. C&C is paralegal. Help!
If it were me, I would take the City & County job in a heartbeat for several reasons, not the least of which being JOB SECURITY and the LUSH BENEFITS. It's awfully hard to beat any kind of government job. Also I recall you have been a paralegal; wouldn't you rather continue with that than be a legal secretary?

Also consider that law firms here, and especially those of the 17th Street variety, haven't been exactly immune to layoffs - not to mention the toxic politics that run with those firms. I know, from all the stories my wife told me about her 17th Street firm. Of course every law firm has its issues and I'm sure the City Attorney's Office, which is also a kind of law firm, if you think about it, has its issues too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Denver is a consolidated city-county, Joe. It is merged into one city-county jurisdiction. This article will explain it for you:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_city-county

Thanks.

Yeah, I'd take the govt job for same reasons Unemployed Paralegal said but also put in apps for federal jobs. Maybe in 5 years the feds will come calling. That's where you want to ultimately be.

21 months ago

Oh, congrats. You have done well 2 offers.

21 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Maybe in 5 years the feds will come calling. That's where you want to ultimately be.
Also nothing the matter with working for the Colorado Supreme Court, Colorado A-G or Colorado Public Defender's Office if she has a bent for criminal law.

Yes, she has done well in a historically tight legal market made worse by the recession.

21 months ago

Hey all,

Yeah, I have done well, and I can't express enough how lucky I feel. And grateful.

So...the bennies don't seem as lush as one might think.

Private:
18 days, 1-2 yrs
23 days, 3-8 yrs
28 days, 9+

Govt. PTO:
15 days, 0-6 mos.
18 days, 6 mos-5 yrs
22.5 days, 5-10 yrs

Here's the BIG difference - govt has pension, 7% req, 10% match. They pay 100% long term disability, and the health insurance, depending on the plan I pick, will likely be at least $100 less than what I pay now.

I think the salary is my hangup. The private firm gave me a $500 raise. But yeah, I like paralegal work. I wasn't so sure about going the route of legal secretary. But I had already talked myself into it, you know? I had no idea the city was going to make the offer - I thought they had picked someone else, which they did, but they were hiring for 2 positions. Same job.

I would love to work in the AG's office, or other criminal law sections. Just love it.

Geez, I can't believe this. It's hard for me to overcome the salary bit. My husband and I were planning on saving all this money next year to buy a nicer house. But maybe I can still make that happen. Wish I had a magic salary calculator. Anyone?

21 months ago

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: Here's the BIG difference - govt has pension, 7% req, 10% match. They pay 100% long term disability, and the health insurance, depending on the plan I pick, will likely be at least $100 less than what I pay now.
I don't know how old you are I (and I won't ask - I'm polite!), but I'll give you my perspective.

I am sixty-one years old. I haven't worked since I lost my job and I gave up long ago on getting another. As a practical matter, I'm needed at home more than any goddam law firm would need me. My wife retired ten years ago.

Since I lost my job, I've paid for our health insurance out of pocket, tied to the plan my goddam last firm had and for which I paid COBRA. Even with Obamacare, I know I'd have trouble changing plans. So I am stuck, at least for the time being and/or we go on Medicare, provided the Republicans don't f--k it up. Therefore, when I see a healthcare plan, provided by the City & County, with LTD, and pension, my urge is to leap right through this computer screen toward you and strangle you until you give in and take the C & C job! Never mind salary or buying a new house.

That's my perspective. You decide what's right for you.

21 months ago

LOL, consider me strangled. The health plan isn't provided with no charge to me, and it's pretty standard to be offered in law firms. But their plan is a bit cheaper. Heck, my husband's plan is cheaper than my fancy law firm.

All of my past jobs have offered insurance. The difference is in the amount of premiums they'll pay. But I get ya. I didn't have insurance before I worked for lawyers, and I was young and stupid. I had health problems crop up and realized then and there how important insurance is.

I'm now 40 and proud of it! So I'm not a spring chicken but I'm not close to retirement. I have at least 25 yrs to go. Which is why this choice is a bit hard for me. I'd like to say I'll spend 25 yrs with the City, but will I really? And I know that there is no way I can work, or stomach working for, another 17th St. firm for the next 25 yrs. I just can't do it. The politics ate me up alive and I don't believe a job is worth that kind of agony.

Only a few hours have passed and I've pretty much decided on the City. The pay is a cut, but it's not too drastic for me to say no way.

This is kind of egotistical I suppose, but the private firm I'd be going to no one has heard of. They are national but have a small office here. I'd talked myself into liking the job, but really I was taking it because I had no other choice. I didn't REALLY want to do a legal secretary job, but didn't have any other options. Now I have the option of working for the City. And that has a nice ring to it. No one knows the private firm, but EVERYONE knows the city atty's office. Like I said, ego. But I'm thinking that'll look good on a resume, right? And I will probably have a better chance at working with the other entities you've all mentioned, including the feds.

So is my thinking rational - or am I not giving enough credit to the salary issue? Putting that in print really helps me as just looking at it seems trivial.

21 months ago

Limbo! in Denver, Colorado said: Only a few hours have passed and I've pretty much decided on the City. The pay is a cut, but it's not too drastic for me to say no way.

Now I have the option of working for the City. And that has a nice ring to it. No one knows the private firm, but EVERYONE knows the city atty's office. Like I said, ego. But I'm thinking that'll look good on a resume, right? And I will probably have a better chance at working with the other entities you've all mentioned, including the feds.

As far as not knowing the name of that firm, I just would say that would make a difference on 17th Street. Unless one has worked for a firm they know, IMO one doesn't stand a chance. The snobbery on 17th Street is unbelievable.

Tell Mayor Hancock I said "hey" and wish him luck getting the Super Bowl!

21 months ago

But of course the City Attorney's Office will look good, on any resume!

21 months ago

I had another thought. Take the City Attorney job and, in time, you could apply to Mitch Morrissey's office. Then consider how good the District Attorney would look on your resume.

21 months ago

oh wow, I feel guilty about feeling so torn about this. Most people would jump at either opportunity. But this is my life and I just want to make the next right choice. That is all. I'm worried that one choice will be wrong, and vice versa. I really don't want to start somewhere and think, oh no, I should have gone with the other place.

I thought that if the city offered me the job with my salary reqs, I would jump at it. But they didn't!

21 months ago

Also, about the firm name, I guess I just like the way city atty's office looks on my resume much more than no name firm. Not to mention paralegal looks better. So far I have legal secty, legal secty, promotion to paralegal, and now ___________. I don't want that blank to be legal secty. I think paralegal would look better.

The city has so many rules and regs! I think that the private firm offers me comfort in that I already know what it'll be all about. But I have no idea what the city will be about.

21 months ago

Of course City Attorney and paralegal look better on the résumé. You're showing clear career progression.

IMO it's a no brainier. You'll learn the rules and regs, and how to navigate the bureaucracy, in due course.

Decided! in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

OK, I think I'm tired and way overthinking this. But I wanted to tell you and the others I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. You have made the choice so much easier by putting things in perspective for me. I'll write more tomorrow - right now at this moment, I think I'm going to take the city job.

21 months ago

Good luck with it! And, again, tell the Mayor I hope he gets the Super Bowl!

21 months ago

I've decided on the City. I don't know about either place and won't know until I work there. I hope I'm making the right decision. Denver is vying for the SB? Hancock is great, met him once.

21 months ago

Google "Mayor Hancock Super Bowl." The Post story is the third hit.

21 months ago

I accepted the city job. Thanks so much for the advice everyone!!

21 months ago

Best of luck!

21 months ago

Thank you!

21 months ago

I'm having some kind of weird buyer's remorse. I took a paycut, about $6K. We just refi'd and saved $300 a month, and were planning on saving all this money to buy a house year after next. Now, my spouse thinks we cannot do that b/c of my new job. I feel a lot of guilt about it, like I screwed us. I don't know what to do.

21 months ago

Stay the course. Your buyer's remorse will evaporate the moment you start working for the CITY ATTORNEY'S OFFICE.

21 months ago

Like I said, it's more b/c of my spouse. I feel really guilty that I set us back. Although I feel we can still save the money, he doesn't think so, and the feeling that I screwed us is strong.

21 months ago

IMO you'll make out in the long run.

Just explain to him the significance working for the City has for a legal professional, and as a paralegal, no less. It's not the same as working for "Bullldog" Moore, you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Rough night last night. I explained the situation to him, and he says he's supportive, but is bothered by the money. I took about a 13% cut. They said they'd give me a raise in Jan., but it turns out that will be very minimal. I'm really freaked that I made a mistake. I am considering calling the other place back. I know it's a risk, but I don't know what to do. I really want to work at the city atty's office, but geez. The pay cut.

21 months ago

Listen, if the city job is the wrong job after working there for 6 months all you need to do is send out some resumes while your working. You know?

In the long run I also believe the city job will be the right choice...you'll have a longer life span with less stress.

I hope your hubby gets on board! If the city job isn't the right gig send out resumes but I'm not sure I would tell your husband. That's what girlfriends are for.

21 months ago

Well.....I've opined on what I would do.

I just would observe that with the City you would have job security. Not so with private law firms. Private firms can terminate employees, summarily and at-will, and with no further obligation to you. Compare with government employment, in which gaining entry is key. After doing so other government entities are more likely to consider you. I saw it happen with two friends, and not in law.

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Compare with government employment, in which gaining entry is key. After doing so other government entities are more likely to consider you. I saw it happen with two friends, and not in law.

Totally agree. Great that you mentioned that to her.

21 months ago

My friends were in aviation. One friend had worked for the Bureau of Reclamation employed her prior to the FAA hired her. The other friend had worked a stint for social services or similar agency in California. She then worked for private companies for some years before the FAA hired her. I am sure the fact that she had worked for government helped her get the FAA job.

I had a girlfriend whose mother got her a job with the Air Force. The National Parks Service then hired her. I don't remember the process, but it appeared to me the Civil Service gives preference to internal candidates, even if it's a different agency.

21 months ago

I can't believe the money is such a sticking point with me.

So I was promised a raise in Jan that would bring me closer to my desired salary. The person under the promiser now tells me not so due to me not being there long enough.

Will it shoot me in the foot if I go back to promiser and ask for another $2K due to renig?

Husband says he supports me, but I know he's bummed about the money.

21 months ago

Also, I calculated it'll take me 3 years to get to my salary now (almost) and then I will cap out at the job!

21 months ago

You can always ask for the $2K. But you better have a Plan B or C if he/she says "no."

By the time you cap out in the job you will have built experience working for government. Certainly that experience should make you attractive to other government employers, as discussed above.

21 months ago

Well, I was thinking of just pointing out his promise and asking for the $2K, but being firm about wanting to work there no matter.

I agree about the experience and switching jobs after 3 yrs, when I cap out.

21 months ago

I asked, and didn't get it. The thing about all this is, well, I suppose this is for a relationship forum, but I'm excited, my spouse isn't. I don't feel he's really all that supportive, because with the private job, I would've made $6K more. I feel I'm making a good choice for the long run.

21 months ago

You are. He'll come around, especially when he realizes the job security of working for government.

21 months ago

I would add, again, that private law firms employ at-will. For your purposes (and mine, too, for that matter) you need only look at an attorney the wrong way once and you could find yourself calling the CUB line and documenting five contacts a week. I don't believe that is so with government. Government can dismiss people, but I understand the process is extremely drawn out.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.