Does anyone like being a paralegal?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 206)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

E.S. in Olney, Illinois

63 months ago

I'm 28 years old, and at a point in my life where I need to get serious about starting a career. I don't really have any marketable skills, despite having a B.A. in English Lit. I'm torn between pursuing a Master of Arts in teaching, or earning a paralegal certificate. I'm not crazy about either, to be honest, but I'm eager to start my life (if that makes any sense).

As an undergraduate, I was preparing myself for law school. I went through some difficult times, which caused my gpa to plunge, and basically put law school out of reach. I assume that being a paralegal is the closest I could get to being a lawyer, for the moment.

I just want a job with some stability, or at least a job in a field where positions are plentiful (I should add, I live in Chicago).

So, anyway, I was wondering; are there any paralegals here who actually enjoy their work, or have something positive to say about the profession? I intend no offense at all to those disillusioned with their careers; I am just wondering if there is any good in it.

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

You have already paid money for your B.A. In today's economic climate there is a high percentage of college graduates who are not going to find employment. Period.

Before dumping down more money on education that, due to the economic climate, there is no certainty it will give you anymore leverage.

At 28, you must have a job. What are you doing now? 28 is going on 30, and at 30 you need/want to have a career. I get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (84) Reply - Report abuse

E.S. in Olney, Illinois

63 months ago

Thank you for your replies. Getting a paralegal's point of view is extremely helpful.

To answer your question, kmm, I'm a bartender at the moment. It's not a job to be proud of, and is certainly not career worthy, but it pays the bills. I think my lack of success finding a better, more "grown-up" job is freaking me out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

E.S. in Olney, Illinois said: Thank you for your replies. Getting a paralegal's point of view is extremely helpful.

To answer your question, kmm, I'm a bartender at the moment. It's not a job to be proud of, and is certainly not career worthy, but it pays the bills. I think my lack of success finding a better, more "grown-up" job is freaking me out.

Yeah- I get it. Bartending is great job to have while you are looking for better employment. My suggestion would be to get your resume out and apply for jobs. And keep applying till you get a job, that requires a 4-year degree. Before it is too late- you are 28 and starting from ground zero, in the professional world.

Running to put out money for paralegal certificate may not be to your benefit, due to the economic climate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Do Girl in Pensacola, Florida

63 months ago

I certainly don't recommend pursuing a career in anything you're not 'crazy about'. The legal profession is tough and demanding; the most successful are those whose passion for law and the profession carries them through and rises above the negatives in the profession. If you already start out at negative, you're only going to find more and more reinforcement for your less than positive enthusiasm about the profession, leading to dissatisfaction and eventual burn out.

If you want to try the legal profession on for size, I suggest applying for a legal secretary position. Your English degree is definitely an asset in the legal profession and that is certainly marketable for an entry-level position. Get your foot in the door, try it out, observe the profession from the bottom/up and decide if you really want to pursue it further. If not, you haven't wasted money for further education/certification and you can move on to the next thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas

63 months ago

I would say it is virtually impossible to find an entry level paralegal gig right now. If you do, it pays $8-10/hr and has no benefits and may even be part time. You could do it without a paralegal certificate.

Paralegals with 4 year degrees really *should* be working at a Big Law Firm where the degree is required and your compensation is better than the sole practioner pay. Problem is, these Big Law firms are laying off right and left.

Your background is similar to mine. It's tough to find a career that many years out of college in a field that doesn't necessarily lead to a specific job. I have been a paralegal for 10 years and I totally hate it. Salaries are actually going down! Non-lawyers at firms are nobodies. Meaningless. Just a warm body. Sometimes I want to just scream, "I have a college degree! Why don't you treat me better?" But the only thing that matters in the field of law are the attorneys. All others are Staff and totally dispensable. Period.

I wish I had gone the teaching route.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: I would say it is virtually impossible to find an entry level paralegal gig right now. If you do, it pays $8-10/hr and has no benefits and may even be part time. You could do it without a paralegal certificate.

Paralegals with 4 year degrees really *should* be working at a Big Law Firm where the degree is required and your compensation is better than the sole practioner pay. Problem is, these Big Law firms are laying off right and left.

Your background is similar to mine. It's tough to find a career that many years out of college in a field that doesn't necessarily lead to a specific job. I have been a paralegal for 10 years and I totally hate it. Salaries are actually going down! Non-lawyers at firms are nobodies. Meaningless. Just a warm body. Sometimes I want to just scream, "I have a college degree! Why don't you treat me better?" But the only thing that matters in the field of law are the attorneys. All others are Staff and totally dispensable. Period.

I wish I had gone the teaching route.

THIS COMMENT IS INVALUABLE.

Regards to Paralegal in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: ....and when - and if - hiring resumes, there will be brutal competition for jobs in those firms. For as long as I can remember, there's always been brutal competition for big firm paralegal jobs around here.

The day may come (or it's already here) when attorneys won't need as many paralegals. Attorneys are becoming more self-sufficient and self-supporting. Even older attorneys have learned computers. They can word-process, print and copy their work product, and dispatch it themselves with little or no assistance. With electronic case filing they can file pleadings with courts online, by themselves, 24/7. Because attorneys are becoming so self-sufficient, they can keep the work and bill all of the time for themselves. They needn't dole out as much work to paralegals as they have in the past.

As Carrollton stated, above, staff has become or is now totally dispensable.

Yes- the new-school of attorneys are sufficient. However - the firm is not going to have them make copies, prepare the signed documents for filing with the courts. ONe- it is not billable and two, attorneys need to use their "licensed" skills elsewhere in regard to work.

I do not think paralegals will become obsolete. It is the present economic climate that is dictating the need for less staff.

But again, there is the concern that with the glut of attorneys, will they become the **new paralegals**?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: Yes- the new-school of attorneys are sufficient. However - the firm is not going to have them make copies, prepare the signed documents for filing with the courts. ONe- it is not billable and two, attorneys need to use their "licensed" skills elsewhere in regard to work.

I do not think paralegals will become obsolete. It is the present economic climate that is dictating the need for less staff.

But again, there is the concern that with the glut of attorneys, will they become the **new paralegals**?

opps- "self-sufficient"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: I would say it is virtually impossible to find an entry level paralegal gig right now. If you do, it pays $8-10/hr and has no benefits and may even be part time. You could do it without a paralegal certificate.

Paralegals with 4 year degrees really *should* be working at a Big Law Firm where the degree is required and your compensation is better than the sole practioner pay. Problem is, these Big Law firms are laying off right and left.

Your background is similar to mine. It's tough to find a career that many years out of college in a field that doesn't necessarily lead to a specific job. I have been a paralegal for 10 years and I totally hate it. Salaries are actually going down! Non-lawyers at firms are nobodies. Meaningless. Just a warm body. Sometimes I want to just scream, "I have a college degree! Why don't you treat me better?" But the only thing that matters in the field of law are the attorneys. All others are Staff and totally dispensable. Period.

I wish I had gone the teaching route.

Jane - read this comment. Indeed- it speaks of a para's reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas

63 months ago

One of the partners I work for will draft a pleading and then e-file it herself. It automatically copies all parties. There is no paperwork, no copying, no certified mail to be done and it takes about 3 minutes to e-file and that is just part of her billing for drafting the document.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: One of the partners I work for will draft a pleading and then e-file it herself. It automatically copies all parties. There is no paperwork, no copying, no certified mail to be done and it takes about 3 minutes to e-file and that is just part of her billing for drafting the document.

3 minutes to e-file. Yup. Presently, only specific types of cases can be e-filed.

e-filing. Another process that some firms makes a big deal about when screening applicants. The Court, here in Delaware, has a free session for learning how to e-file. It is done by telephone, other lawyers, para, secretaries, who signed up for the session, are all party-lined in and the training. It was easy, excellent way to learn e-filing. One simply takes notes on the procedure and one is good to go.

Another case where attorneys make a big thing out of something that is not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

How did everyone learn the computer program "Word"?

I got a legal secretary position at a BIG law firm. Yup- I took it. Needed a job. The job lasted 30 days for me, but I got my Word training.

At large firms, they have in-house training classes in place. There were 4 of us who did not know Word. SO off we went for our first 4 days as new-hires to Word training. It was excellent.

So- I got a needed and valuable skill out of the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

How I learned Word was - I lied. I hounded (for a really crappy job) after I left court reporting. I told them I knew Word (as part of court reporting). For Word, all I knew how to do was turn on and off the computer, save a document, and indent. By the time they figured I didn't know anything, three weeks had gone by and I was doing fairly decently. So they kept me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

E.S. in Olney, Illinois said: I'm 28 years old, and at a point in my life where I need to get serious about starting a career. I don't really have any marketable skills, despite having a B.A. in English Lit. I'm torn between pursuing a Master of Arts in teaching, or earning a paralegal certificate. I'm not crazy about either, to be honest, but I'm eager to start my life (if that makes any sense).

As an undergraduate, I was preparing myself for law school. I went through some difficult times, which caused my gpa to plunge, and basically put law school out of reach. I assume that being a paralegal is the closest I could get to being a lawyer, for the moment.

I just want a job with some stability, or at least a job in a field where positions are plentiful (I should add, I live in Chicago).

So, anyway, I was wondering; are there any paralegals here who actually enjoy their work, or have something positive to say about the profession? I intend no offense at all to those disillusioned with their careers; I am just wondering if there is any good in it.

Thanks in advance.

I would skip the paralegal route. Economy too bad. Try looking up this on the internet: "Lucrative Stimulous Jobs" or "7 Lucrative Jobs from Obama's Stimulous Plan"

Suggestion: Go where the jobs are going to be. These jobs pay $43k to $78k. It is a start for information and ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Last I knew, all cases can be e-filed in Colorado. You can even open decedent estates via e-filing, though I believe you still have to lodge wills with the probate court separately.

Lexis/Nexis JusticeLink e-filing is easy. You basically populate the fields. You attach the pleading as if you were e-mailing an attachment. You can attach your WP or Word pleading directly and it'll convert automatically. At one time you had to convert your pleading into .pdf, either by saving it as .pdf or scanning it.

You'd still have to scan exhibits, etc. Doing so is a royal and time consuming pain in the ass if you don't have a good scanner. Also uploading lengthy pleadings with exhibits can take forever if you don't have quality high-speed internet.

Federal court ECF works similarly but is not as user friendly. I recall there were separate screens for e-filing and for viewing and retrieving pleadings. The screens and fields were definitely not as user friendly as JusticeLink.

In any case, e-filing is simple enough that even cavemen or lawyers can do it.

Intersting - that in Colorado so many types of cases can be e-filed.Again- I did not work in those areas. In Delaware, while working in 2003- My work was not being e-filed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: None of my firms used Word. They were WP firms. We were taught WP when I was in paralegal school. It was the word processor of choice in firms.

I found out Word had become the word processor of choice after I lost my last job. No problem - I got the book and taught it to myself.

A lawyer told me his firm adopted Word because it was free - bundled his firm's computers' software.

Self-taught. Way to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: How I learned Word was - I lied. I hounded (for a really crappy job) after I left court reporting. I told them I knew Word (as part of court reporting). For Word, all I knew how to do was turn on and off the computer, save a document, and indent. By the time they figured I didn't know anything, three weeks had gone by and I was doing fairly decently. So they kept me.

Got to do what you got to do. And are you now proficient on Word?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Prattville, Alabama

63 months ago

E.S. in Olney, Illinois said: I'm 28 years old, and at a point in my life where I need to get serious about starting a career. I don't really have any marketable skills, despite having a B.A. in English Lit. I'm torn between pursuing a Master of Arts in teaching, or earning a paralegal certificate. I'm not crazy about either, to be honest, but I'm eager to start my life (if that makes any sense).

As an undergraduate, I was preparing myself for law school. I went through some difficult times, which caused my gpa to plunge, and basically put law school out of reach. I assume that being a paralegal is the closest I could get to being a lawyer, for the moment.

I just want a job with some stability, or at least a job in a field where positions are plentiful (I should add, I live in Chicago).

So, anyway, I was wondering; are there any paralegals here who actually enjoy their work, or have something positive to say about the profession? I intend no offense at all to those disillusioned with their careers; I am just wondering if there is any good in it.

Thanks in advance.

I love being a paralegal. It stimulates your mind; it is a "busy job" (not boring) and get to meet a lot of people and you help people that are down in life. You have to be organized, pay attention to detail. I have set myself up for success. I have several books I use to help my job easier like I have an attorney directory to find attys I have a doctor directory to find doctors for my clients. I uses contacts in outlook to keep up with the attys on the other side of my case. It really is an interesting job but it is one of those jobs either you love it or you hate it. A calendar is your best friend, you have to live by it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

Teresa said: I have set myself up for success. I have several books I use to help my job easier like I have an attorney directory to find attys I have a doctor directory to find doctors for my clients.

I guess the rest of us set ourselves up for failure. Theresa, if and when the time comes you are emotionally beaten up by an attorney, remember this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Do Girl in Pensacola, Florida

63 months ago

Teresa was speaking to the novice who was inquiring about the field, not to those with experience with an intent to insult them.

I think you should cut newbie posters some slack, just because they share viewpoints you don't agree with it's not a reason to attack them and criticize everything they say.

Your vitriol is overflowing lately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

Your vitriol is overflowing lately.

Man, it's the economy I tell ya!!! It's turning me into an absolute Bi----

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: But it was an adjustment. I guess everything is relative, but after twelve years of using WP I found Word to be a transition. No reveal codes. Different formatting. Different headers and footers. More ways to screw up a document. Eventually, I could do everything I could OTJ with Word that I could do with WP.

What I don't understand is why law would go to Word. It's more susceptible to viruses than WP.

Yeah, it was a big change from WP. Thank goodness I had the classes provided at the firm. Word was a completely different set-up. Now , I can easily transition between WP and Word. Sure you can also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Teresa in Prattville, Alabama said: I love being a paralegal. It stimulates your mind; it is a "busy job" (not boring) and get to meet a lot of people and you help people that are down in life. You have to be organized, pay attention to detail. I have set myself up for success. I have several books I use to help my job easier like I have an attorney directory to find attys I have a doctor directory to find doctors for my clients. I uses contacts in outlook to keep up with the attys on the other side of my case. It really is an interesting job but it is one of those jobs either you love it or you hate it. A calendar is your best friend, you have to live by it.

We all have that. We all use it.

Curious- what area of law do you work in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Teresa in Prattville, Alabama said: I love being a paralegal. It stimulates your mind; it is a "busy job" (not boring) and get to meet a lot of people and you help people that are down in life. You have to be organized, pay attention to detail. I have set myself up for success. I have several books I use to help my job easier like I have an attorney directory to find attys I have a doctor directory to find doctors for my clients. I uses contacts in outlook to keep up with the attys on the other side of my case. It really is an interesting job but it is one of those jobs either you love it or you hate it. A calendar is your best friend, you have to live by it.

Do you work in a big firm, small firm? Tell us about your working environment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I think so. But the last time I saw a WP screen was the last day I worked. I'm sure it's just like riding a bike (or maybe flying an airplane). Once you learn you never forget.

I thought WP's columns are easier to use than Word's. I found one can set up tables in Word to work similarly to WP columns.

I never had to use columns or boxes. That I would have troubel doing. GEtting back to WP is like riding the bike.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

oops- trouble with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Your vitriol is overflowing lately.

Man, it's the economy I tell ya!!! It's turning me into an absolute Bi----

My suggestion Mary: go to your M.D. and get some help. I have done it on several occasions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: WP columns are great, and useful.

Let's say you're setting up an answer to an interrogatory about prescription meds. Your client has to answer which prescription meds he/she has taken, the the date they were prescribed, and the doctor who prescribed them. You set up three columns for each thing. You can use column breaks to make it fit on the page. It works really well.

I never got that far with WP. I was learning it on the job, the wife was helping me. Talk about stress, going from DOS to WP and having to produce. Yeah, I was a stress wreck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Good news was I got out of there in 3 months, I wanted out- and got a real sweet gig in an estimated 14 attorney firm. Smooth, smooth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas

63 months ago

When our firm switched from WP to Word, we got training classes. They also taught us Styles, but it only "stuck" with a few people. I don't use Styles.

I also miss reveal codes that WP had. I think in the last year I have only encountered 1 law firm still using WP. Our firm switched because our multi-national clients insisted on it.

I just figure out and use whatever program is in front of me. Doesn't matter either way to me.

I don't like to use resource books. I want online resources that are up to the minute current. I had an older attorney ask me for a resource book published by this professional organization. After much digging and searching, I found it in my drawer. He was so happy to see it and criticized me for not knowing immediately where this super important resource was. He told me to hang on to it. After a 2 minute google search, I told him it had been revised 10 times in the 13 years it had been sitting in my drawer. Wouldn't he rather have the current information????? Hello!!! It never dawned on him it might be horribly out of date. I pulled the current one off the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas

63 months ago

I just don't believe that Paralegal is a fast growing field. I just don't see it. I was talking to a couple of unemployed experienced paralegals the other day and they said from what they can tell on the interviews they have been on (about 30 between the two in the last 6 months or so) that the legal field has just fundamentally changed. Much lower pay and decreasing benefits for one thing. And a seemingly increase in the number of nutjobs attorneys looking for a Girl Friday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: I just don't believe that Paralegal is a fast growing field. I just don't see it. I was talking to a couple of unemployed experienced paralegals the other day and they said from what they can tell on the interviews they have been on (about 30 between the two in the last 6 months or so) that the legal field has just fundamentally changed. Much lower pay and decreasing benefits for one thing. And a seemingly increase in the number of nutjobs attorneys looking for a Girl Friday.

I absolutely agree with DLP and Paralegal in Tx. How can a professon being growing when there are layoffs.

Geez- its an ecademic condition in todays econimic climate. When experienced paralegals who have been "laid-off" cannot find work- it is very bad.

I agree that there are plenty of nutjob attorneys who are advertising. The better places are either not hiring or have good employee retention resulting in no hiring unless an employee leaves. The obvious.

I have been on interviews that were so strange, or the attorney and I were not a click, at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

opps- economic climate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Personally, when I was laid-off, I applied for both legal secretary and paralegal jobs. Sometimes they advertise for legal assistants, which is half dictaphone and half independent work.

As I am not a fast typer, I have often failed on a few legal secretary jobs. If they give me the test, where the standard ia 60 wpm- no job for me.

Gotta do what you have to do- sometimes that does not pan out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

I recall one time I got a call from a bank for an estates paralegal position. The pay was 27k, no negotiating. I was in horror. How can I make it on that pay? Never scheduled the interview.

I recall my brother saying, nicely, isn't some money better than none. My mind was so warped by that time, I just could not get my head wrapped around the concept. With my personality, and ever thing I had been through in the past 12 months,I probably would have eventually gotten so stressed from the economics, well...lose my job would be the result.

NOt easy being single and on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: I absolutely agree with DLP and Paralegal in Tx. How can a professon being growing when there are layoffs.....

opps- How can a profession "be" growing...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

I recall, when I was in Miami, and lost my job with a 4-week severence package and the vaca pay. At the time I was terminated I had no idea what happened.

Anywho- I submitted my resume to a legal agency, the woman in charge called me and gave me the riot act. cannot send you out for paralegal jobs, perhaps a receptionist positon BECASUE, your 6-month period of employments is unstable and therefore you are unstable. I was horrified to hear this.

Yes, I told her that I had gotten a severence package. Made no difference. She said the resume still reads unstable employment, thus unstable worker.

[A severence package is typically offered for employees who are "laid-off" or "retire." Sometimes, even when "fired" or "resign."]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: ...

Geez- its an ecademic condition in todays econimic climate. When experienced paralegals who have been "laid-off" cannot find work- it is very bad....

opps - "epidemic condition"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jtap in Glenside, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

there are no entry-level paralegal or teaching jobs in philly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

Anywho- I submitted my resume to a legal agency, the woman in charge called me and gave me the riot act. cannot send you out for paralegal jobs, perhaps a receptionist positon BECASUE, your 6-month period of employments is unstable and therefore you are unstable. I was horrified to hear this.

No employment agency should every say anything like this. Most of the time (almost all the time) when an employee has gone through job after job, it is because of the job market - someone a "rotating job" - where it was a bad job or bad boss, and that person kept rotating from bad job to another bad job.

Even last year I ended up dealing with Today's Staffing in Tampa/Clearwater. Dara at Ruden (after I had worked there eight years) had called every legal staffing agency she could find to run me down. She even called the director of the paralegal program. Ron at Today's Staffing even said last year, "The legal community is a small community." He sent me on an interview for the absolute sheit job there was. It was an interview for a temp to perm job. It was obvious when I got there what a crappy job it was. The attorney said, "Well, I'm just looking to see what's out there." Ron told me to call him after the interview. I called, got his voicemail, told him what the guy said (Just looking to see what's out there). I didn't hear from Ron again and I didn't call him. He had a good rapport with Dara, and that is very obvious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

When I worked for George (small PI), his office manager made sure all calls went to her regarding references. They had a girl who left, was POSITIVE she had another job; the new job was to call George for a reference, then the girl didn't get the job. The manager was sure George ran her down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

jtap in Glenside, Pennsylvania said: there are no entry-level paralegal or teaching jobs in philly

Philadelphia firms have laid-off staff, such as Deckert.

I suspect it is bad in Phila. if you do not have a paralegal job.
or other job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:

He never provided the letter.[LOR].......Not much I could do if that individual no longer wanted me to work for him. But what did he have against me becoming reemployed?? ...

Putting a loyal employee out after 7 years is bad enough, not giving them a reference in writing. Beyond....... Guy knew you needed that LOR. Some people are just bad...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

He probably got off on it. There would be no other reason for it. I worked for Ruden for eight years - and I really went out of my way for the attorney I worked for. The director of the paralegal program said, "What Dara is doing to you is just sick."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jtap in Glenside, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: Philadelphia firms have laid-off staff, such as Deckert.

I suspect it is bad in Phila. if you do not have a paralegal job.
or other job.

I just graduated with a post-BA paralegal certificate in May and cannot find a job yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

Hey, you only graduated in May - and this is only June. Be thankful you haven't been unemployed for two years.

I guess I'm ugly - because will my great and impressive resume, I should get hired right at the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jtap in Glenside, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Hey, you only graduated in May - and this is only June. Be thankful you haven't been unemployed for two years.

I guess I'm ugly - because will my great and impressive resume, I should get hired right at the interview.

I'll be 28 soon like the original poster. I have basically been unemployed for the last two years as my family and friends would say. Just been working some odd jobs and collecting UE which is about to run out. The song by MCR The world is Ugly is beautiful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: He probably got off on it. There would be no other reason for it. I worked for Ruden for eight years - and I really went out of my way for the attorney I worked for. The director of the paralegal program said, "What Dara is doing to you is just sick."

These attorney-bosses who want to create additional problems for an employee they terminated, AfTER the employee did good work for them- esp. those who worked there for several years. Vindictive and beyond. Evil

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

63 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Hey, you only graduated in May - and this is only June. Be thankful you haven't been unemployed for two years.

I guess I'm ugly - because will my great and impressive resume, I should get hired right at the interview.

SO not true Mary- it is competition and some attorneys still like the experienced older woman. Makes their wife happy. No hanky panky issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.