Getting fired!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

I'm about to be fired. One of the attorneys I know told me. I've been here many years and was really upset to hear about it. Although, I was unhappy and was looking. I'm still upset about it. I'm working still, while looking, and I really wasn't ready to leave so abruptly. I wanted to find the job that was suited to me, instead of scrambling to find ANY work. I don't think there's any chance of changing their minds.

I used to post on here, LOVED my job. I'm really disheartened. I feel like my boss is a spineless snake. She's not doing the "talks" with me, another atty is. And my one friend? She doesn't bother to talk to me at all, even though she knew all along they were plotting to let me go.

I work for a very reputable firm and am really bummed to have to move on so quickly. The market is tough and I am beginning to get really worried about finding work in time before they actually can me.

I've had a couple of interviews and have a few scheduled this week, but I'm still really bummed about the whole thing.

Anyone else going thru this? How do you get thru the emotions? It's so hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

I'm glad you have posted. I went through being fired, unexpectedly, and have never recovered from the resentment.

How do you know you will be fired? Your information may not be entirely reliable, especially coming from another attorney in the firm. Is that attorney a partner or shareholder, or an associate? You know or should know that, generally, unless they are partners attorneys pursue their own agendas. They look out for themselves. Therefore, for all you know, that attorney may be feeding you inaccurate or tainted information.

I would agree that something may be afoot when boss or office-friend relationships change. But, again, you may be being victimized by rumors.

At least you can prepare. Gather as many LORs as possible from other attorneys in the firm. Keep up with the jobhunting, though there is certainly little paralegal work around here - it's been that way for six years. Don't bother with agencies around here - they are worthless. In the meantime, do your job. At the same time, copy off strong examples of your work and forms you may have created onto CD-ROM. Don't even think about trying to change their minds.

Finally, even though you know or think it may be coming, when it happens you will feel numb. Don't be surprised if the numbness turns into anger or outright rage. That will pass. The resentment may remain.

Best of luck. Thanks for posting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Hi unemployed.

When did you get fired? I'm sorry, it sucks!!

Anyway, I'm working through the resentment, that really only hurts you.

I was told by a partner in my group - she's definitely in on the talks and I believe her info to be legit. We are now in the stage where she's the carrier of my messages to my boss, since my boss has zero spine and can't talk to me herself.

Basically I'm trying to get work asap so I can just quietly leave minus any more embarrassment. So I spend a lot of time talking to my partner (also my reference) in hopes of them putting off firing me or putting me on probation. So far it's working.

I've been trying to do work, although they don't really give me any - so that's tough.

I'm not deadset on paralegal work at this point. I've been interviewed on a court judicial position, but am not sure if I have a good chance of getting it, and even if I do, I think the pay is quite low. Maybe I should go for it? Do you think a state job would be worth it over a private firm? I pretty much think so at this point.

My rage has come and gone. I know it'll come back. Thanks so much for your thoughtful post.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

45 months ago

You don't have embarrassment. They are stripping away your price (not the same thing). Do not walk away from the unemployment. You need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Well, I can assure you, I would feel embarrassed if they formally fired me. I've been here a long time. My pride has definitely sunk. My self-esteem is battered but still very much intact.

Walk away from unemployment? Oh, you mean let them fire me. No, of course not. I'm trying to find work. If that doesn't happen and they can me, then yeah, unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

45 months ago

why are they thinking about firing u? if u dont mind me asking..

45 months ago

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado said: When did you get fired? I'm sorry, it sucks!!
More than six years ago, after I had worked for that firm and partner nearly seven years.
Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado said: I've been interviewed on a court judicial position, but am not sure if I have a good chance of getting it, and even if I do, I think the pay is quite low. Maybe I should go for it? Do you think a state job would be worth it over a private firm? I pretty much think so at this point.
A job with the State of Colorado? Hell, yes!!

Absolutely hold on to the job until: 1) you get another job; or 2) they can you. Under no circumstances whatsoever do you want to endanger your unemployment benefits. In that regard, know that the State Department of Labor and Employment may require that you make no fewer than five employment contacts a week. There are creative ways of legitimately making those contacts while not exhausting legitimate ones. What is your speciality?

Once more, regarding that partner whom you believe is legit, as the expression goes, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. At this point she is neither your friend nor your confidant. Believe me, her interests lie with the firm and certainly not you.

Once again, best of luck. Trust me, unless you beat it to the punch by leaving for another job, given your tenure with your firm you will feel tremendous rage.

45 months ago

To Hire Me: Basically, they are firing me because they really don't like me much. Sounds trite and not very personal accountable, but I believe it to be true.

Unemployed: I'm so sorry! Have you been working since? Horrible. I know just how you feel!

How about a job with the city? Any info there?

I gotcha on the 2 requirements and will do. I work in litigation.

I also totally understand what you are saying about the partner. She's all I got right now, so it'll have to do. I am careful about our convos.

I do have some rage. And yeah, I'll think about you when or if it happens. I fully intend on beating them to the punch.

45 months ago

I haven't worked since I was fired. I am sure I've been badmouthed. Along with that, I know age has worked against me. I too have worked in litigation, and WC, estate planning, probate and elder law.

On my last day, that partner gratuitously noted my age. I had just turned fifty-five. He assured me I would find another job in a month and for more money. Neither happened, though I put off my job search for several weeks because of health issues. That delay would have made no difference. I did have interviews, including several in one morning at a prominent 17th Street firm.

That individual assured me he would write a LOR for me. In the seven years I toiled for him not once did he ever fail to keep his word, so I fully expected him to provide the letter. By now you have undoubtedly guessed he never did. Hence, for that reason and many others, my resentment.

45 months ago

Hi, I thought I wrote back but guess I didn't. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. It's horrible to go thru.

With regard to everything we've been talking about, I suppose these are reasons why I want to get a govt. job. I feel that while a govt job has it's own B.S., it doesn't have the same type of private sector b.s., especially when you consider being fired.

Am I romanticizing?

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

45 months ago

Federal job is best, then a state. Don't work for the county.

Pension, pension, pension!

Most of these govt clowns work 5 hours a day but get paid for 8. I get horny just thinking about working for the federal government.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Federal jobs take forever, although I agree, and have applied for a few. Right now, I have a real possibility of being offered either a state job or a city job - not county. Regardless, what I am wondering is whether I am romanticizing about the political b.s. in a private firm not being the same in a govt. position.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

45 months ago

There is no accountability in government. Do what you want while wasting tax payer dollars.

In the private sector you have to produce or you will be gone period end of sentence and every penny is looked at.

Now is the choice clear?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado said: I feel that while a govt job has it's own B.S., it doesn't have the same type of private sector b.s., especially when you consider being fired.

Am I romanticizing?

Not in the least. Take one if you can get one. I don't recall if the City & County or the State of Colorado still mandate furlough days, but that's small stuff in the big picture.

I tried many time to get government jobs, in law and in two other careers. I actually had a first interview with the DC. My cover letter was entirely wrong and entirely too long and I couldn't believe I was actually brought in. I was the first candidate interviewed, which is generally never good. I was rejected.

I figured out why I may have been brought in. The attorney-hiring manager must have liked my cover letter because his rejection letter was entirely wrong and entirely too long.

44 months ago

LOL, my cover letter is short.

Starting 2013, they are doing away with furloughs in the C&C of D. That info is good as I have friends who work there.

My 2nd interview is coming up. I'm really nervous about it. I can't recall ever going thru a 2nd. What do you think this one will be about? I'm trying to prepare, but I was really prepared for the 1st, and now have no idea what to prepare for!

The feds are so hard to get into. There are books written on how to formulate your resume to get an interview. Their resumes look nothing like ours in the private sector.

So what do you do now?

44 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: There is no accountability in government. Do what you want while wasting tax payer dollars.

In the private sector you have to produce or you will be gone period end of sentence and every penny is looked at.

Now is the choice clear?

Joe, yep! Clear! Although I do have a work ethic. I've often felt that my hard work in the private sector, as right now I'm being canned because a sr. partner just "doesn't care for me". I'm really tired of that kind of sentiment.

Stillsmiling in Saint Marys, Georgia

44 months ago

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado said: LOL, my cover letter is short.

Starting 2013, they are doing away with furloughs in the C&C of D. That info is good as I have friends who work there.

My 2nd interview is coming up. I'm really nervous about it. I can't recall ever going thru a 2nd. What do you think this one will be about? I'm trying to prepare, but I was really prepared for the 1st, and now have no idea what to prepare for!

The feds are so hard to get into. There are books written on how to formulate your resume to get an interview. Their resumes look nothing like ours in the private sector.

So what do you do now?

2nd interviews are the norm now. Always be glad when you get one. Prepare for it the same way you would for the first one. This one may be with the same content but different people. Know what you did inside and out. Also, prepare some kind of questions to ask them in return. If you don't, they feel you really aren't interested in the job. Some I use are:
What is the typical day-today-day like for this position?
Now that you have had the chance to go over my resume and speak with me, do you have any questions or concerns about my ability to perform this job that I can answer for you?
What are the next steps in the interview process?

I try to limit my questions for them to three. Sometimes I come up with other questions depending on what is talked about during the interview. I just do like to prepare just in case.

Good luck! I'd love to land a government job!

44 months ago

Thanks so much. I always ask questions too. Sometimes I ask about them personally, how long they've been there, etc., it seems to go over well.

I'm pretty nervous as I really want the job. I know I'm lucky to have the dilemma of deciding between several job offers.

44 months ago

Used to love my job : ( in Denver, Colorado said: My 2nd interview is coming up. I'm really nervous about it. I can't recall ever going thru a 2nd. What do you think this one will be about? I'm trying to prepare, but I was really prepared for the 1st, and now have no idea what to prepare for!
I suspect the hiring manager(s) will interview you. In any case, find out who will be interviewing you. Learn as much as you can about that person(s). Google his/her name. Run his/her name(s) on LinkedIn and/or other social media. Do that and come interview time the person(s) will seem less like strangers.

Also learn as much as you can about the government function for which you are interviewing. Learn how it fits in with the government entity's overall mission. Then design statements that prove how you fit in with that mission. You will have to sell yourself.

Don't be surprised if you're asked to take some sort of test or asked to demonstrate a skill.

The questions for the interviewer(s) suggested, above, are good ones to ask. You could also ask how many candidates they are interviewing and the time frame for filling the position.

Finally, yes, indeed (as it were), you are lucky to be able to decide between several job offers. Especially here, where there are just about no paralegal jobs open except for agency nonsense, I would say you are blessed. Good luck.

44 months ago

Thanks!!

I happen to know exactly which dept I'll be in, which is good. I did ask who I'd be meeting with when the 2nd interview was set but that person didn't know. I have the emails of the 2 I met previously, so I will ask them.

It sounds like this interview will be about deciding who's best for the job. I believe I might be over the hump about deciding on skills, etc. Now they are probably wanting to pick the right one. I'm going to give a lot of thought about what I've done in the past and experiences I've had.

The agencies are nuts! They are like used car salesmen! I feel really bad for them!

44 months ago

I just would add that if you have a contact within the department that you harness that person's goodwill to the utmost. IMO it's no myth that getting government jobs very often boils down to contacts.

Maybe you saw "The Good Wife" on Channel 4 last night. Alicia met a JAG in the previous episode. The JAG was now looking for a civilian job. She had been given a runaround in an interview. Alicia picked up the phone and called Peter about the JAG. Someone in Peter's State's Attorney's Office was interviewing the JAG and seemed lukewarm. Then Peter walked in, cut off the interviewer and hired the JAG on the spot. I know it's TV and all that TV implies, but IMO not far removed from getting government jobs in real life.

44 months ago

Yeah, I have a contact, and yeah, I'm utilizing them. I wasn't really sure if that mattered at all, but seems like you think it does. That's good. My contact is solid.

44 months ago

You know the situation better, but I would go so far as to suggest you ask the person to write a LOR for you. You know how lawyers think; they give effect to writings. Therefore, IMO you would deliver a powerful message if you can pull out and hand each interview a copy of a LOR from your contact.

44 months ago

I'm sort of parting on good terms. I'm leaving before they fire me. Of course I won't burn bridges. But I can't say it's the best of terms, because I'm angry about it and feel it's wrong.

44 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: Don't leave before you get another job.

Hopefully you won't need your unemployment but just don't quit as if you do then you probably won't get unemployment.

Thanks. If you read my posts above, I've already covered this and have no intention of just walking away from my job.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.