Help with choosing a Paralegal Program in Northern CA!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Melissa in Napa, CA in Hayward, California

97 months ago

I've been researching several different paralegal programs over the past couple of months and have numerous several major differences in: the duration of the programs, the type of accreditation, (ABA or not seeming to be the most important of these distinctions), whether the program is offered on-line or not, whether job placement assistance is offered and/or internships, etc. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the different options! I have a BA in Administration of Justice, so I would be eligible to enter a post-baccalaureate program. I am considering everything from on-line programs (non ABA-approved) such as National Paralegal College and the Paralegal Institute, to Kaplan University and Cal State U. East Bay (ABA approved). Do you have any advice on the best way to narrow my options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to get enrolled in a program a.s.a.p.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Franz in Denver, Colorado

48 months ago

Hello:

Do you offer any assistance. I am interested in the 6 month program, and am motivated to start. Is the 6 month program a certificate program? How long is the BA program?

Stephen in Spring Valley, New York said: I work for National Paralegal College , which you mentioned, so you can take whatever I say in that context. Still, if you want to check out our program, we offer a 2 week free trial where you can sample what it's like to be a student in our school BEFORE you make your decision or commit any money to anyone. Since you already have a BA, you would be looking for a certificate, which would require 8 courses and can be done in anywhere from about 6.5 months (full speed) to 16 months (one course at a time). I think the best way to determine whether a school is for you is to actually attend that school... ABA approval is an issue, but unfortunately, at this time based on ABA rules, if you want the convenience of working online only, you need to sacrifice ABA approval. The ABA categorically refuses to approve an online paralegal program unless at least half the work is in a classroom. I also want to point out that the ABA is a private organization, with no actual power, especially over paralegals (as opposed to lawyers, over whom it holds some indirect power). Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.