Is being a Paralegal a good choice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 161)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

UM Student in Miami Beach, Florida

68 months ago

I am a student in the University of Miami, trying to finish up and get accepted into a law school (though I am just a 21 year old junior right now) and in need of a job. I came across this information about paralegals and thought :Wow, this just might be a good fit for me!". Unfortunately, I tried doing some web research on paralegal job opennings that are part-time (I;m still a full-time student) and couldn't really seem to find any. Am I looking in the wrong places? Is there even such a THING as a part-time paralegal? How much does one (if it exists) usually make? And lastly, I was looking at an online degree...is this a good idea or not? I mean, will an online degree really matter at all so long as I have the degree?

Thanks in advance to those who answered my questions! I know theres a lot of them, haha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

UM Student in Miami Beach, Florida

68 months ago

Ok, cliff notes;

1. Is there such a thing as a part-time paralegal?
2. Is an online degree worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Joel Irving in Lindenhurst, New York

68 months ago

UM Student in Miami Beach, Florida said: I am a student in the University of Miami, trying to finish up and get accepted into a law school (though I am just a 21 year old junior right now) and in need of a job. I came across this information about paralegals and thought :Wow, this just might be a good fit for me!". Unfortunately, I tried doing some web research on paralegal job opennings that are part-time (I;m still a full-time student) and couldn't really seem to find any. Am I looking in the wrong places? Is there even such a THING as a part-time paralegal? How much does one (if it exists) usually make? And lastly, I was looking at an online degree...is this a good idea or not? I mean, will an online degree really matter at all so long as I have the degree?

Thanks in advance to those who answered my questions! I know theres a lot of them, haha.

It is all about how you sell yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

68 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Still a shill, huh, Joel?

Man - as soon as I clicked onto that "newyork paralegal blog"
I new it - another shill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You don't know what you're talking about, Joel.

Once again, Joel, tell us about your experience as an employed paralegal.

DLP- Excellent response!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dh in Northern CA, California

67 months ago

UM Student in Miami Beach, Florida said: I am a student in the University of Miami, trying to finish up and get accepted into a law school (though I am just a 21 year old junior right now) and in need of a job. I came across this information about paralegals and thought :Wow, this just might be a good fit for me!". Unfortunately, I tried doing some web research on paralegal job opennings that are part-time (I;m still a full-time student) and couldn't really seem to find any. Am I looking in the wrong places? Is there even such a THING as a part-time paralegal? How much does one (if it exists) usually make? And lastly, I was looking at an online degree...is this a good idea or not? I mean, will an online degree really matter at all so long as I have the degree?

If you get accepted to a law school, great. Whatever you do, if you decide that law school is too difficult and quit part way thru, DO NOT become a paralegal instead. I saw several law students in LA do this - law school is too stressful for them so they quit and do paralegal work instead, which the end up hating. Any nonlawyer profession in the legal industry is a crappy job to have. My advice is to finish law school and become an atty. If you quit before finishing, then my advices is to consider a career in a totally different industry altogether, completely unrelated to law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I agree. Seconded.

I concur.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: FWIW. I do find it coincidental that you, Joel W., and Joel Irving are both from NY and are interested in legal matters.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:

"...That aside, Joel, "Fight Back" or whatever, you wrote to the UM student that getting a paralegal job is all about selling oneself. How do you know that, Joel whatever? Once again, Joel whatever, you don't know what you're talking about because, I think, you've never been employed as a paralegal.

I thought it was entertaining in an odd way that he ask the posters to ask him a legal question?

Joel, do you have a legal question?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

amy in Ashtabula, Ohio said: I wanted to become a paralegal..is there any advice anyone can give me? i read your comments, and honestly they made me rethink my carrer choice.

You really should rethink your career choice. While I agree that you should not make a big decision such as choosing a career based on what you've read here, Displaced Legal Pro's comments hit the nail on the head. I know from personal experience.

I'm tired of writing the same thing on this forum; so I'm cutting and pasting from another post I wrote last week: "You will not be appreciated regardless of how hard you work. You will work for attys who have big beautiful homes, drive luxury cars, own vacation homes and rental properties, and travel to exotic places for a month. They won't pay you enough to buy your own little condo. It's the atty who will have a lot to show for your hard work, NOT YOU. Attys can't accomplish all that without having a secretary.

Think of the time you put into a profession as an investment because that's what it is, really. You have options where you invest your money. You can put it in a savings account and earn measley (sp?) interest or you can put in a mutual fund and earn higher interest. Which is the wiser choice? Well, my opinion is that being a paralegal is not a wise investment of time. It's as bad as stuffing all your money in a mattress. Your return isn't that great, especially not when you consider what the attys expect out of you. It's also dead end because you can't get promoted. I hope you consider instead a career that has advancement opportunities and room for growth because paralegal and legal secretary don't have that."

And if you happen to have time on your hands:
www.indeed.com/forum/job/legal-secretary/legal-secretary/t51575

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

amy in Ashtabula, Ohio said: I wanted to become a paralegal..is there any advice anyone can give me? i read your comments, and honestly they made me rethink my carrer choice.

I agree that you should not make that kind of decision based on what's on this forum. Do you know any paralegals or legal secretaries? Network and ask around. Don't ask a paralegal vocational school to refer you to someone because they would be biased. In California, my understanding is that paralegal/legal secretarial schools have a hard time getting enough enrollees because of lack of interest, apparently because it's more common knowledge now that this is a bad industry in which to work.

Network. Find some nonlawyer legal professionals who have been in the industry a while and interview them. I don't know anything about Ohio, but if you were to do that in LA or Orange County (or anywhere in Southern CA), they would tell you to consider another line of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KuKluxKlan in Columbus, Ohio

61 months ago

dh in Northern CA, California said: If you get accepted to a law school, great. Whatever you do, if you decide that law school is too difficult and quit part way thru, DO NOT become a paralegal instead. I saw several law students in LA do this - law school is too stressful for them so they quit and do paralegal work instead, which the end up hating. Any nonlawyer profession in the legal industry is a crappy job to have. My advice is to finish law school and become an atty. If you quit before finishing, then my advices is to consider a career in a totally different industry altogether, completely unrelated to law.

All legal jobs outside of being an attorney are not crappy! At least mine is not. I get paid to sip martinis and dance with the stars. My boss, an attorney, says I need a job like yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

KuKluxKlan in Columbus, Ohio said: All legal jobs outside of being an attorney are not crappy! At least mine is not. I get paid to sip martinis and dance with the stars. My boss, an attorney, says I need a job like yours.

Sipping martinis and dancing with the stars... I bet that's not all you're doing. LOL!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dp. in Moreno Valley, California

55 months ago

so its not worth going to a 9 month course on paralegal studies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

No!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, DE in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

dp. in Moreno Valley, California said: so its not worth going to a 9 month course on paralegal studies?

I concur - Not in tadays;s economy, which will be next year's economy in terms of jobs....Be a nurse, an engineer..whatever is moving in the economy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

dp. in Moreno Valley, California said: so its not worth going to a 9 month course on paralegal studies?

Look for start- up companies in the "energy" industry...where money is being made..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Niche in Biloxi, Mississippi

54 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, DE in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania said: Look for start- up companies in the "energy" industry...where money is being made..

What does an energy company do? Are you talking solar perhaps? Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Niche in Biloxi, Mississippi said: What does an energy company do? Are you talking solar perhaps? Thanks in advance.

Do not know specifically..you would have to do your homework.

I know someone in the energy field, self-employed...Last year was a great year for him...THis year going good, strong..that is all I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

dh in Californis said " Well, my opinion is that being a paralegal is not a wise investment of time. It's as bad as stuffing all your money in a mattress. Your return isn't that great, especially not when you consider what the attys expect out of you. It's also dead end because you can't get promoted. I hope you consider instead a career that has advancement opportunities and room for growth because paralegal and legal secretary don't have that."

"Especially what the attorneys expect of you." Some are fair...some are unrealistic in their expectations...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Niche in Biloxi, Mississippi

54 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, DE in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania said: Do not know specifically..you would have to do your homework.

I know someone in the energy field, self-employed...Last year was a great year for him...THis year going good, strong..that is all I know.

Thank you. I will do my homework. Your statement inspires the idea of, just like fashion, I wonder if some jobs are just trends, you know? That's interesting. I think it's good to find a job/career with staying power, but sometimes you can't tell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Niche in Biloxi, Mississippi said: Thank you. I will do my homework. Your statement inspires the idea of, just like fashion, I wonder if some jobs are just trends, you know? That's interesting. I think it's good to find a job/career with staying power, but sometimes you can't tell.

My opinion is that any non-lawyer profession is a BAD MOVE at any time regardless of the economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

T in Toronto, Ontario said: Don't make a decision based on what is on this forum. You have to decide for yourself if it is what you want.

You should consider everyone's experience will be different not the same as some of the posts.

I say, the person intersted in being a paralegal should do the homework and check the paralegal jobs posted in newspapes, etc [direct hires only] and see if said person thinks there are jobs for newbes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AC in Fairview, New Jersey

40 months ago

I'm currently a retail Stockbroker in the financial district in NYC, and I'm considering getting a Paralegal certificate so that I can get a taste @ law. I always been interested in going to law school, however, I would like to date before I marry. My question is simply would it be a good idea to do such as first becoming a Paralegal, and attend law school? Would I have time to attend law school as a Paralegal? I obviously reside with-in the NY met area. With respect to continuing my career as a Securities Agent I'm tired of making 400-500 per day to build a book, & @ the end of the day I always really wanted to a Lawyer every since I was a kid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

If you wanted to be a CEO would you test it out by being the secretary for the CEO? Or would you go get the required education and then figure out the career track for a CEO and do that and not worry about what the secretary does? How many CEOs do you know who were once secretaries (Southwest Airlines excepted)?

It's no different with the legal field. It's all about the attorneys. Everyone else staff - support people. If you want to be a lawyer, be a lawyer. Stockbroker to paralegal would be a massive step back in your career and may even hurt it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

I have a different view. Insurance companies hire investors. It's their sole job to play the stock market and make the company money. The more money they make the company, the bigger their bonus. That is one reason insurance companies make a lot of money, because they invest it.

Go to the websites for insurance companies, (insurance defense, such as Progressive), try to find a headhunter, see if you can get a job as an investor. You will be out of the market you don't like, will be in a new job using old job skills, and will get a taste of the legal field also.

For a quick rundown on the legal field, buy a CLA Review Manual, spend some time sitting in on court cases, watch Court TV.

AC in Fairview, New Jersey

40 months ago

@ Displaced Legal Professional, thanks for your thoughts. @ Paralegal in TX thanks for thoughts, @ Mary from Tampa, thanks for thoughts. Is that I see many Paralegal jobs here in NYC, and Northern NJ that start out paying at or about $40k annually plus bonuses, and after a couple of years of experience you should be valued or worth somewhere within the 65k range plus benefits, so I thought that if I was to work as a Paralegal with a BSBA in Finance, plus a Paralegal certificate, and about four years of experience in the financial sector, from Mortgage lending, to Financial Adviser, to currently as a Stockbroker, I would have an upper hand with respect to having experience as a legal professional once I would be done with Law school. Again, thanks guys.

Litigation_Paralegal in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

I think if you want to be a lawyer, then go to law school. Don't worry about being a paralegal. What I don't understand is that so many people look at being a paralegal as a jump off to being a lawyer. Paralegals ARE professionals. Some of us actually went to school with the entire intent of being JUST a paralegal. I wouldn't want to be a lawyer -- and if I had a dollar for every person who asked me if I was going to law school upon learning I am a paralegal, yes, I would be quite wealthy right now. To the OP, if you want to use your bachelors degree in conjunction with a paralegal certificate, I think you could definitely find a decent job in the NY and NJ areas, possibly in commercial lit or corporate. However, if your ultimate goal is to become a lawyer, then just do that. Don't do both -- it's a waste of time and money. Pick one and then go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deedlebug34 in Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Sure. Choose another vocation. Law, in and of itself, can be interesting, but very arduous and stressful. Your supervisors, who are lawyers, are some of the most difficult people you'll ever meet and even more difficult to work for.

Lawyers will demand your time to the extent that you will have little life. They rarely will thank you for your extra time. Lawyers can be anal and rigid. Anal and rigid is good and necessary for law, but some lawyers take it to the extreme. Litigation lawyers are a especially tough lot. Their world is adversarial, but some forget their legal assistants are on their side and treat them as adversaries. The workload and stress can be enormous.

Consider becoming paralegal if you have rhinoceros skin, titanium nerves and an iron constitution. If you possess these qualities and still want to become a paralegal, at minimum you'll need a two-year college degree and a paralegal certificate. A bachelor's degree and an ABA-approved paralegal certificate are better. Don't waste your money on a Master's in Paralegal Studies or similar program at least one school offers.

Finally, prepare for a long job hunt. Breaking into the legal industry is tough. At least around here, plain and simple, there are few openings, especially for entry paralegals.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I got offered to do my externship at a big commercial litigation firm..I'm not so interested in litigation, but my instructor who works at the firm as well, said she really wants me to train there to be a litigation paralegal like she was. I told her yes because i don't really have anywhere else to go. However, I just got an email from an attorney who needs a legal assistant to help out around his office.This sounds much more appealing to me. I feel like i will get thrown into a pit of fire doing my externship at this big commercial litigation firm.I really don't want to do it! HELP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I would take the big commercial lit one and not the one for the attorney who needs "help around his office" which might mean clerical stuff, office manager stuff, making coffee, filing, typing, running errands - which does you no good as far as experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deedlebug34 in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

Well, he's a criminal defense attorney that is looking for someone to organize files, transcribe dictation and schedule hearings and such. It is entry level which i don't see much of around here..I don't have any office experince, so i'm thinking this might be a decent opportunity..I'm interested in Criminal Law and it's a paid position- low pay- but paid nonetheless..What's funny is the instructor who got me the internship at her firm, used to be a litigaation paralegal there. Now she is running the whole office..She was always stressed when she taught our class and has even been hospitalized a few times because she was not eating properly and had other health issues..She has also come into class with migraines and says she would rather teach than do the paralegal thing anymore. Yet, she wants to train me as a litigation paralegal??...LOL..I just want to get my foot in the door..i'm on the last leg of my student loan refund and i will be completely broke in a few months..I know my instructor means well, but im getting chest pains just thinking about going into her firm...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

buncle19 in Carlsbad, California

39 months ago

Deedlebug34 in Chicago, Illinois said: What's funny is the instructor who got me the internship at her firm, used to be a litigaation paralegal there. Now she is running the whole office..She was always stressed when she taught our class and has even been hospitalized a few times because she was not eating properly and had other health issues..She has also come into class with migraines and says she would rather teach than do the paralegal thing anymore.

Sounds like she suffers from Battered Paralegal Syndrome (BPS). It's a new disorder that will likely be classified within the DSM manual :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Do you know the ICD-9 code for BPS? Are there are ex post facto BPS diagnoses? Or how long the Statute runs for BPS claims?

IMO BPS should be criminalized. Doing so would cause disbarment of ninety percent of the legal profession. It would ensure continuous employment opportunities for new attorneys as the hiring/BPS disbarment cycle repeats itself. It would ensure perpetual enrollments for law schools......

While BPS is not an actual disorder, based on what I've read on here and other forums, it should be. More importantly, paralegals should speak out against it like you are doing. In any other field, it would never be tolerated.

Since women represent the major share of the paralegal profession, why are they not speaking out against these abusive and humiliating practices? Similarly, why aren't the paralegal associations speaking out against this?

It is disturbing, to say the least.

39 months ago

Deedlebug34 in Pennsylvania said: Hi, I got offered to do my externship at a big commercial litigation firm..I'm not so interested in litigation, but my instructor who works at the firm as well, said she really wants me to train there to be a litigation paralegal like she was. I told her yes because i don't really have anywhere else to go. However, I just got an email from an attorney who needs a legal assistant to help out around his office.This sounds much more appealing to me. I feel like i will get thrown into a pit of fire doing my externship at this big commercial litigation firm.I really don't want to do it! HELP!

Go with the attorney who needs help around the office. It may even lead to full time paralegal duties, once you learn the ropes. Plus, there isn't going to be shortage of work in the criminal defense field nor an area where consumers are likely to cut back on, since their liberty may be at stake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan

39 months ago

Here's an article from the NY Times published this week describing the reality of what's happening in the legal profession right now:

www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage

DLP is right- don't pursue a legal career. Unless you enjoy chronic unemployment, instability, slave wages, and being an abuse monkey in general. Good job by the NY Times. People are starting to see this for the scam it is and it is about friggin' time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

39 months ago

The paralegal program I took (only five years ago) - the director of the program is an Attorney and a Ph.D. Her husband is a prominent circuit court judge.

She also gave assurances of how promising my future was. I asked her about court reporting (which I was). She said the court reporting field was having their own problems. Boy, how I regret taking that program. I took out $8,000 in student loans - and I can't pay them - or even have the money for payments.

After going to a professional resume review at my college, I went home, got out my Stenograph machine, and literally sat down and started practicing. I hadn't worked as a court reporter in twenty years. I'm ready to start looking for work now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I was just looking at the salaries for accountants on Indeed. The money seems better and the work seems more steady than it would be for most paralegals. I wish I would have known all of this sooner, just as I wish I had known of forums like this sooner. But live and learn as they say. I just hope those out there with stars in their eyes about the field of law will take words like ours seriously. Better to take your time, have your eyes wide open, and make an informed choice based on those in the field (NOT the schools dear God)... much better to do that than waste thousands of dollars and your valuable time and energy. Well, at least I'm not 100K in debt like the new J.D.s out there. I take some sort of cold comfort in that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

That is true, accounting is dull and tedious and definitely is not for everyone. I can totally see how the work could drive you crazy. I guess there is no perfect job. But at a certain point I think you learn to sell your soul in exchange for a decent living. At least that's where I'm at, as messed up as that sounds.

Deedlebug34 in Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Thanks for the great replies.I just started the externship and i already hate it..My externship supervisor went away to do some training for a few days and left me with a bit of work to do..Well after i was finished organizing files, i had absolutley nothing else to do.I sat there for 3 hours doing nothing..The law office is unusually quiet, the legal secretaries look miserable and there are a lot of empty cubicles that need filling..No one came in to check on me to do copies or anything..I am getting depressed being there and have come to the realization that this whole paralegal thing may have been a mistake..I'm sure not all offices are like that, but it just doesn't appeal to me to work for a big corporation..It's just been a few days, but i don't find the work interesting at all. The criminal law attorney had to reschedule our meeting because of a few things that came up, but he still wants to meet me..I think maybe i'll like being there because it's criminal law and im actually interested in it and i could learn a lot around the office and such. I'm willing to take anything else at this point and have decided to get my bachelor's in criminal justice sometime soon. My current program is almost finished , my last refund came in and after that i'll be broke looking for work..My instructor says she's trying to get me in there, but i highly doubt they will want me after only being an intern for 8 weeks. I know that i'm a really goood writer and researcher, but i really need to brush up on my computer skills. My school, which is a crappy for-profit, money hungry joke, promised great stability and salaries as paralegals and i really don't see that in the future. I feel like i wasted my money, which was a lot. This is just not what i thought it would be...

39 months ago

Oh, sorry you're hatin it Deedlebug34. They may not have anything for you to do. Even when the summer law students would come in I found them just sitting in their office with their spotless desks looking at me saying, What am I supposed to do?

A lot of law firms are suffering. There just isn't much work for anyone. You might just get a file out of the drawer and start reading it. Or do a free online training thing on the microsoft website for one of the software programs.

I'm amazed when anyone wants to work in criminal law. I just get the heebie geebies being around creeps and bad guys. I hope you get what you want though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

39 months ago

New stuff on yahoo Career:
•Paralegal. Start a great-paying career in law without going to law school by earning a two-year associate's degree in paralegal studies or a one-year certificate. As a paralegal, you'll help lawyers prepare for corporate meetings, hearings, and trials. The average annual salary for paralegals is $46,120, though the top 10 percent can average more than $73,450 a year.

At least this explains the difference between an AA and a Certificate.

39 months ago

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan said: Here's an article from the NY Times published this week describing the reality of what's happening in the legal profession right now:

www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=homepage

DLP is right- don't pursue a legal career. Unless you enjoy chronic unemployment, instability, slave wages, and being an abuse monkey in general. Good job by the NY Times. People are starting to see this for the scam it is and it is about friggin' time.

Experienced paralegals like myself also mirror this sentiment. There's no valid reason I can think for anyone to pursue a career as a paralegal field, since the widespread availability of online legal information and alternative methods of handling disputes is transforming the way law is practiced and delivered.

At the end of the evening, even a janitor has keys to the building and a greater degree of decision making than a paralegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MarissaH8637 in Sterling Heights, Michigan

39 months ago

A paralegal in NYC might make 73K after YEARS and YEARS of experience in a highly specialized field. I was in NYC and can tell you normal paralegal salaries there are more like 40-55K which is not that great considering the taxes and cost of living are astronomical. The only other way I could see a paralegal making that much there is if they worked a ton of OT, something that is happening less and less as employers are reluctant to pay it.

39 months ago

I should also mention the employers almost always (about 99% of the time) prefer NYC experience. So even if you are highly experienced in an in-demand area it won't mean much of anything if you aren't from there. I went to an interview at an insurance defense firm where they literally told me to my face "we like you but are really looking for someone from around here". It obviously was a huge disadvantage that I had no control over. No one there seemed to understand how bad the job market was in Michigan, even though it's in the news constantly. They would keep asking me "why did you come to NYC?" Do they not realize people these days are in survival mode, oftentimes scouring the country just to find any form of work in the field in which they were trained?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

39 months ago

In NYC, you have to have 15 to 20 years experience to make 40 to 50k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

You make the same money as an executive assistant or secretary except you have less responsibility and nicer personalities. Lawyers have scheit personalities.

39 months ago

Women attorneys are having PMS or menopause 24/7 so you better by a licensed psychiatrist to work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

"Intense" only glamorizes it. It makes them sound hot.Bullfighters are "intense." Polo players are "intense." Actors are "intense." Lawyers intense? Na......hot? Na.....

39 months ago

Think about it...Marlon Brando and James Dean were described as "intense." Now can you compare the average litigator to that? I know lawyers have some acting ability, as they should to convince the jury. But can you compare that to Brando and Dean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

15-20 years experience to make 40-50K in NYC?! I am jaded as can be but even I can't agree with that one. You can make that much within a few years, or as an entry-level if you have the right education. Maybe more like 30-40K starting out in most cases, but still... The wages have been pushed down due to the economy but they are still higher there compared to the national averages. But I don't even care about any of that now. I just need to figure out where to go from here. I feel like such a fool for wasting as much time and money as I did pursuing this field. When I get really down (which has been pretty much every day lately) I remember I have no student loans unlike TTTT toilet bowl law school grads. The exit is much easier to walk through. The question is where do you go from here?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.