Issues of older paralegal making mistakes

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Mature Paralegal in San Diego, California

31 months ago

Is anyone out there an older paralegal (age 50 plus) who is having trouble with the detailed work involved with their paralegal job? I am in my late 50's and am having trouble with making mistakes at my job. I haven't had this problem until the last 2 or 3 years, and I find that I just can't stop making mistakes in my documents, no matter how diligent I try to be. I don't know if this is age related or stress related, as I also have a lot of stress in my life. I also have ADHD. My doctor recently increased my ADHD medication, and I have been tested for Alzheimer's and my doctor told me my brain is fine. My job involves sitting at a computer 8 hours a day, and I feel like I have to focus and concentrate every second or I might make a mistake. At this point I am feeling like I have lost control, and I keep making mistakes no matter how hard I try not to. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

Are you female? Could be peri-menopause related. Do a search for the symptoms, especially cognitive problems. If that is what it is, then it will be temporary. On the other hand, constant attention to detail is exhausting and does get harder as you get older.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Austin, Texas in Falls Church, Virginia

31 months ago

Mature Paralegal in San Diego, California said: Is anyone out there an older paralegal (age 50 plus) who is having trouble with the detailed work involved with their paralegal job? I am in my late 50's and am having trouble with making mistakes at my job. I haven't had this problem until the last 2 or 3 years, and I find that I just can't stop making mistakes in my documents, no matter how diligent I try to be. I don't know if this is age related or stress related, as I also have a lot of stress in my life. I also have ADHD. My doctor recently increased my ADHD medication, and I have been tested for Alzheimer's and my doctor told me my brain is fine. My job involves sitting at a computer 8 hours a day, and I feel like I have to focus and concentrate every second or I might make a mistake. At this point I am feeling like I have lost control, and I keep making mistakes no matter how hard I try not to. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative!

Hi Mature:

I too am in my 50s. I was having some issues with making mistakes also. First I got stronger glasses. Then in addition to proofing my work on the computer, I also started printing out my work and proofing it by highlighting any mistakes. That seems to help most of the time. For me, the other thing is the pressure to get things done faster. Sometimes you just can't let people pressure you. I take as much time as I need to do the work right. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jobsearch2 in San Diego, California

30 months ago

I've started to think that the issue of making more mistakes could be because of how much more multi-tasking is required now. I believe that dealing with e-mail "I need it now, stop what you are doing!" interruptions make it much harder to keep focused, and just the lack of breaks people get in their workday. People are now expected to sit at their desks, especially paras who are billing, and work without even a 10 minute break. Everyone is expected to work too efficiently - quicker, faster, more. I mean, we are not robots, we are human and after a while something has to give. Too sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.