Paralegal Advice for future student

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Seeking Paralegal Degree Advice in Pensacola, Florida

35 months ago

I am looking into the Paralegal studies and was wondering if anybody could give me adive as to what I am getting myself into?
I want to know things such as; what is the degree good for, where can I find jobs or what type of jobs can I seek after I get the degree, and is this a good career?
Any other advice would be grand! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

35 months ago

For openers, few paralegal jobs are open at the moment, even for experienced paralegals. (The same can also be said for other jobs.) Don't believe the sales pitch that paralegal is a rapidly growing job - it isn't. To the contrary, paralegal has been contracting for at least five years. The recession hasn't been kind to paralegals - or to all legal staff, including lawyers, for that matter.

A paralegal certificate and a degree will qualify you to work primarily in law firms. It's actually very good training in terms of honing one's understanding of law and critical thinking skills. But most people only care if it'll find them work.

As far as paralegal being a good career, consider that paralegals generally work for people who are trained for and spend most of their lives arguing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Philhelm in Overland Park, Kansas

35 months ago

I had a Bachelor's Degree and just completed the Paralegal Certification program last may. My advice would be that if you want to get into the field, you will likely need a Bachelor's Degree. It seemed that most of my classmates had various Bachelor's Degrees, so you would be competing with that. If you do go that route, I'd suggest getting the paralegal Associate's Degree and work toward a salable Bachelor's Degree in another field. It would give you more flexibility.

Personally, I think that degrees aren't that useful, aside from opening doors. There are plenty of jobs that demand a degree but really shouldn't; we have degree inflation within the U.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BG in Carlsbad, California

34 months ago

Seeking Paralegal Degree Advice in Pensacola, Florida said: I want to know things such as; what is the degree good for, where can I find jobs or what type of jobs can I seek after I get the degree, and is this a good career?

There are few career opportunities in the legal field right now. More and more lawyers are working from home and with some of the legal software on the market, they can do a lot of the work themselves.

Servicing the baby-boomer generation is where the money will be: nursing, mental health care, physiotherapy, live-in health aids, medical assistants, dental assistant, etc.

Invest a little bit of money on a career counselor. It will not only point you in the right direction, but will save you thousands of dollars on educational programs that will lead to nowhere.

Take a look at law school grads who can't find a job and are now suing law schools. It's a good indicator of the present legal market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jurist in Nashville, Tennessee

20 months ago

Seeking Paralegal Degree Advice in Pensacola, Florida said: I am looking into the Paralegal studies and was wondering if anybody could give me adive as to what I am getting myself into?
I want to know things such as; what is the degree good for, where can I find jobs or what type of jobs can I seek after I get the degree, and is this a good career?
Any other advice would be grand! Thanks.

A paralegal degree is mere more an illusion to obtain such high summit. Indeed degrees are now obsolete. Don't waste your money in this field. You how commercials on TV tells you that the paralegals are in demand; they are full of crap. Schools they just want your money. Buy this book this book if you want is called ( Paralegal Today the Essentials for Paralegal)in this book as the title says it you will learn the Essentials period. Again schools they are like vampires as soon they spot fresh blood they will try to induce you to believe this career is in demand. They just want your money . Now lets say you go for it right. Well guess what, get in line because law firms want someone with experience or at least five years experience in the field they are looking for. Short. Get a certificate cheaper that way. By getting the certificate you are going to learn the same crap what a degree will do. Or If you want, I can teach you if want. Look at the news paper or job websites looking for paralegals. Have you notice in their requirements "must have 3 years experience in blah, blah. Pay attention to the job boards and what law firms are looking for. Also don't fall into the trap the paralegal certificate is ABA approved. Who freaking cares. If you studied hard enough and you already posses the diploma or certificate and you pay for that education; your diploma is evidence you are knowledgeable of your subjects. So my advise is go for the certificate or again, if you want me to teach you what is like then reach out to me before you blow your money.

Jurist in Nashville, Tennessee

20 months ago

Philhelm in Overland Park, Kansas said: I had a Bachelor's Degree and just completed the Paralegal Certification program last may. My advice would be that if you want to get into the field, you will likely need a Bachelor's Degree. It seemed that most of my classmates had various Bachelor's Degrees, so you would be competing with that. If you do go that route, I'd suggest getting the paralegal Associate 's Degree and work toward a salable Bachelor's Degree in another field. It would give you more flexibility.

Personally, I think that degrees aren't that useful, aside from opening doors. There are plenty of jobs that demand a degree but really shouldn't; we have degree inflation within the U.S.

I totally agree. This type of degree is mere an illusion. Personally I wasted my money and trip over the dark hole thinking this degree will get me a job. Wrong that I was. Paralegals are in demand right?@!!!? Now I have a diploma that I am not even using. Law firms want someone with experience at least three to five years in specialty. What I should of have done; was to look at the job boards as a guidance and make my decision from there. Law firms will take advantage to pay you a lower salary if they know you have no experience and they will rather hire you as legal assistant than pay you as a paralegal. Why, because paralegals can set their own fees versus a legal assistant can not do it. The point is that schools lie and lie all the time to induce people to buy worthless degrees knowing that you will start at the bottom. Well instead of that, I might as well just go to a law firm without a degree and tell them hey, I want to be your assistant will you train me? good luck with that. Whether you have the degree or whether you don't you still at the bottom.

BG in Carlsbad, California

20 months ago

If you are going to invest in a degree, make sure it is one in the health sciences, since paralegal degrees have little value outside that field.

A job seeker with an associate's degree in nursing is going to finds a job, whereas a paralegal with an equivalent degree will receive raised eyebrows, as they fill out yet another job application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.