Skills "Refresher" courses?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Andrew in New York, New York

48 months ago

Hello, I am a paralegal who has been out of circulation for a few years. Can anyone recommend a refresher CLE or course that would help me sharpen up my skills? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

48 months ago

The law firms I worked for would receive tons of CLE fliers in the mail. If you still have contact with anyone in your former firms, maybe that person(s) can turn you on to upcoming CLEs or even let you pick up the fliers from their offices.

Another suggestion might be to look at your state or local bar association monthly. It may advertise CLEs. For that matter, call your state or local bar association and ask about CLEs.

The practice bar in your specialty(ies) should know of CLEs. If you subscribe to a listserve in your specialty(ies), it should have CLE information or you could float a query. Finally, your local paralegal association may be able to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

One more suggestion would be to look for CLE ads in your local legal newspaper. Certainly NYC should have one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

A refresher course - for someone who was supposedly already a paralegal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

I think I need a refresher course on interviewing too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: A refresher course - for someone who was supposedly already a paralegal?
Sure. The law changes. Deadlines change. Where I live, Workers' Comp forms change all the time. IMO paralegals need CLE as much as or more than lawyers need it, and particulary if they've been inactive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in New York, New York

48 months ago

Thank you for the responses. My former firm is no longer operating, unfortunately and my local paralegal association's website doesn't seem to have a lot of resources, CLE wise. I'll drop by and also try to local legal newspaper. Thanks so much and good luck to you!

If any new york paralegals have any recommendations, I'd appreciate hearing from them as well! Thanks again!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Try this link at the New York Bar Association:

www.nysba.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=CLE&Template=/CustomSource/Catalog/index.cfm

Alternatively, google "New York Bar Association." You'll see a "CLE" link that takes you to the above-referenced page.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ang in Highland, New York

33 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: A refresher course - for someone who was supposedly already a paralegal?

This is an idiotic comment! If we have been out of the job market for a while, an employer wants to know if we are current regarding the skills needed to complete the job. It doesn't mean we "supposedly" worked as a paralegal or not. Ridiculous!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.