Any tips for working for a single attorney in family law?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

aciosa in Atlanta, Georgia

23 months ago

I recently accepted a position to work as a paralegal for a single attorney office, specializing in family law. Can anyone give any tips or advice on working for one attorney? I'd be her only employee, other than a part-time contractor.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

Pay close attention to the attorney's way of doing things and particularly the individual's idiosyncracies. Learn the caseflow and standard deadlines as quickly as possible. Doing so will help you stay ahead so you can anticipate the attorney's needs and help you put work on the individual's desk without being asked for it. Your goal is to stay ahead of the attorney.

The attorney is probably busy, so minimize interrupting the individual. When you go to the attorney for something, come right to the point and be brief. That may mean taking time to compose your issue(s) on your legal pad and working off it instead of ad-libbing.

Whenever you have questions, and you will, practice resourcefulness. Attorneys hate being bothered with questions. So do everything possible to find answers yourself, even if it means consulting outside sources. Only bother the attorney as a last resort.

Good luck with your new job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Orem, Utah

15 months ago

My brother just accepted a job doing paralegal for a family law firm in Sierra Vista and is in the same position as you. He has also expressed concern that it will be a different atmosphere than he is used to. I will have to show him this forum. Thanks for asking! www.borowieclaw.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.