Getting a paramedic job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing paramedic work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

janette francois in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

88 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing paramedic work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

need to know how to get started in that feild please e-mail me back or feel free to call 561-541-5712 anytime is find thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gerri in Spring, Texas

85 months ago

janette francois in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida said: need to know how to get started in that feild please e-mail me back or feel free to call 561-541-5712 anytime is find thank you.

I wold like to know how to get in the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Winslow, Arizona

82 months ago

I would suggest going to your local community college and investigating the possibility of taking a Basic EMT class. If such a class is available, you should check with your local EMS service to see if they use volunteers. If so, get the EMT training, get certified and volunteer your time as a Basic EMT to get some experience. Most states require some minimum amount of experience (usually one year as a Basic EMT) before they will let you apply for Paramedic training. If during this time you find you are cut out for this type of high stress work environment, then proceed with getting into some accredited training. Expect the Paramedic training to take anywhere from 9 to 24 months depending on the program. You should expect tuition and book costs to exceed $4000.00. Once certified, it really is not difficult to locate an employer as most systems are constantly recruiting.

One other viable alternative is to find a volunteer opportunity as a Basic EMT with a local system that would be willing to pay for your Paramedic training. We do this in our system but require a contractual agreement for services following certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Weare, New Hampshire

80 months ago

try looking at www.emtcity.com as they have a lot of information on Basic EMTs and Paramedics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.